PDA

View Full Version : D&D for lonely geeks; also, plot concept

Parakirby
2008-02-20, 09:14 AM
I'm at college (freshman year) and I think it's high time I met a few people for D&D. I've done my research (except for casting magic, from what I've been informed is that magical characters tend to make the rest of the team wait while they decide what spells to use. Any ideas how to get a group together without exposing my dorkdom to the general public?

Also, I have a plot for my D&D campaign (What the players don't know is spoiler'd):

Approximately 100 years ago from the present day, Ceres, Goddess of Prophecy, came down before her loyal priests. This is a monumentus event- Most of the time she possessed her priests, or sent an avatar, but the actual god appearing before the priests was completely unprecidented.

Her message was brief and straightforward, however, completely unlike her other foresights.

"Magic shall destroy the world."

With these five words, she caused a wave of panic across the world. Almost immediately after, mages and wizards were hunted down and killed, magical items broken and rendered useless and impotent. Wars ceased as nations banded together to stop the magical menace, although tensions continued to mount even while they worked with one another.

The players, once they group together (Inevitably they probably end up sharing a cell due to a bar fight, probably) the god of tricksters appears before them. He tells the players that only he knows what happened a century ago: The god of destruction, Mal'zar, had threated Ceres into delivering the altered message. The original message was:

"The backup of magic shall destroy the world."

What would occur if too much magic went unused it would start using itself in dangerous ways. At first, it would be small; moving objects, ghostly apperitions, but slowly gain power, to where whole cities would be transformed into who knows what- people and all.

The players must choose whether to believe 100 years of propoganda and motivation, or the god of tricksters- Who says the reason he's telling the players is 'if everyone's dead, who'll there be left to trick?'

Thus, giving players more control than any railroad game could.

tahu88810
2008-02-20, 09:21 AM
I like the idea for the campaign. But wouldn't it be kinda hard to play if later on you don't have any magic?

As far as getting a group together, maybe you could put something up in a public area (like a notice board in the school library or something?) and don't add a name, just give an email or something else. That'd keep you your 'dorkdom' a secret, and get some players (or not).

Anyways, good luck.

Sofaking
2008-02-20, 09:33 AM
The notice board is a good idea. Also you may be able to find a group through a meetup website or something similar. If you are at a major university you could also look around for an official campus club. I know my schools have or had anime clubs, lan clubs and 1 had a DnD club.

Chronicled
2008-02-20, 09:39 AM
Excellent campaign setup for a fairly sandbox-style campaign. I think I'm going to steal it. :smalltongue:

The anonymous notice flyer method works well; many schools also have a roleplaying club (mine does). Finally, remember that in most colleges, it's just fine to be a nerd/dork/geek (heck, everyone loves them at mine).

Finally, to put things into spoilers, add <spoiler></spoiler> around the text to be spoilered, but replace the <>'s with []'s.

Parakirby
2008-02-20, 11:14 AM
I like the idea for the campaign. But wouldn't it be kinda hard to play if later on you don't have any magic?
Ahh, there IS magic. However, if it is practiced, it's done in secret. If they choose not to use magic, hey, their choice.

As far as getting a group together, maybe you could put something up in a public area (like a notice board in the school library or something?) and don't add a name, just give an email or something else. That'd keep you your 'dorkdom' a secret, and get some players (or not).
I'll try that.

Excellent campaign setup for a fairly sandbox-style campaign. I think I'm going to steal it. :smalltongue:
Go ahead! I wouldn't mind hearing how it goes either. Remember players might NOT choose to believe the guy, so be prepared for witchhunter players. Either way there's plenty of opportunity for every player type. Well, witchhunters won't have much diplomacy, I suppose, but still.

Adventuring ideas: Crashed floating cities, stealing ancient magical items, raiding a hidden mage's home (battling creatures he uses to defend himself), forging/replacing documents, plus NORMAL D&D things (raiders, megabeasts, etc.)

I suppose in this world magical creatures would also be hunted. Elves, Dwarves (maybe), and other sentient beings would probably be at least looked down upon.

Fenix_of_Doom
2008-02-20, 01:11 PM
except for casting magic, from what I've been informed is that magical characters tend to make the rest of the team wait while they decide what spells to use.

I could see this happening if the players are new, but generally this isn't the case in my experience, if the players think ahead a bit and prepare their spell lists before hand they won't stall the game one bit, or at least they won't have to think any longer then the melee types.

That being said, D&D assumes high magic as such I wouldn't recommend a very light magic setting if this is your first time as DM, I imagine some challenges will be very hard for your players without magic/healing and good items. If you're going to try it anyway, the best way would be to keep to low levels I think.

anyway good luck.

Telonius
2008-02-20, 01:16 PM
My advice: don't hide it. Be confident about what you like, don't be ashamed of it. Lonely geeks aren't lonely for long when they follow that advice. Besides, you're in college. Higher percentage of geeks, dorks, and nerds there.

Solo
2008-02-20, 01:24 PM
See if your college has a Sci-fi/fantasy club and start there.

Parakirby
2008-02-20, 01:28 PM
I could see this happening if the players are new, but generally this isn't the case in my experience, if the players think ahead a bit and prepare their spell lists before hand they won't stall the game one bit, or at least they won't have to think any longer then the melee types.

That being said, D&D assumes high magic as such I wouldn't recommend a very light magic setting if this is your first time as DM, I imagine some challenges will be very hard for your players without magic/healing and good items. If you're going to try it anyway, the best way would be to keep to low levels I think.

anyway good luck.

Accelerated healing rates plus a bit more bonus for resting and bandaging should help.

Plus, non-witch hunters could be gifted a wand of light healing early; while witch hunter characters could receive a bit more rest-healing benefits.