PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Alternate Epic Magic houserules

FirstAdam
2008-02-20, 02:17 PM
Hi everybody,
This is my first time posting a thread and this seemed a bit more complicated than covered in the "Request a Homebrew" thread at the top of the board. So, I'm hoping you can all help me with this. I'm running a game, and it is the hope that it does in fact reach epic level. It's a while off but as there's a spellcaster in the party I wanted to be prepared (and I want to keep things consistent with any NPCs that may get made).
So, we've already made some major changes to the epic rules, possibly less balanced, but at least seem like they make more sense. One thing that I actually need help on is the epic spellcasting. More specifically in the researching of new epic spells. From the epic book RAW, it seems like every single spell would need to be researched individually. So if a caster goes up a level, and their spellcraft increases, they'd have to research the exact same spell again, but with maybe a little less exp cost, or backlash, or another d6 of damage. The way I'm going to try to re-work this is that the caster would have to research a seed, and can then apply various factors to the seed that they know. From how epic spellcasting is described it seems like a caster who's reached this level understands the building blocks of magic and can put them together.
Now, where I'm hoping you can help is how would you suggest a character can research a "seed" to use? Time spent? spellcraft DC? gold/component cost? Our group as a whole can't rationalize spending experience to learn or craft something. Like I said, there's plenty of time, but I'd love to hear what kind of thoughts you can all contribute to this for me. Thanks a lot!

-Adam

arkanis
2008-02-21, 02:12 PM
Personally I've never really liked the way the rules were set up for epic spellcasting. I would just suggest you pick apart each spell (looking at the seeds) and take the cost from there.

So for example if a spell had 2 seeds and no other factors to it, just split its costs in two and that would be the cost for each seed (be the cost time, gold, or XP).

GoC
2008-02-21, 05:35 PM
I'd just forget the normal epic stuff and use Beliel_the_leveler's epic metamagic homebrew. It's somewhere on this forum.