PDA

View Full Version : How to make Roy back easily?

Irbis
2008-02-20, 03:02 PM
Okay, OotS needs diamonds to rez Roy. Preferably something worth 50K to cast True Resurrection.

Well, both parts of the OotS happen to be out of money right now. They, hovewer, have access to four spellcasters: Celia, V, dwarf [forgot his name, sorry] & Julia.

So, how can one make diamonds in D&D world? Various creation and fabrication spells don't count - they suck XP and their ability to create expensive items is limited. But, we have school of magic most people don't think being capable of creating anything [and for some strange reason being considered weakest of them] - Evocation. Now, to make a diamond one needs three things: pressure, heat and coal. Getting coal is easy - it's the other two ingredients we have to somehow create.

Let's see - fire evocation spells. Fireball would be excellent, but pressure from it quickly dissipates. Perhaps a wand of 50 fireballs inserted into an sealed adamantine barrel with coal inside would be the solution?

Or electrical spells - diamonds can be manufactured with arcs of energy, but the process is complicated. Chain lightning, anyone? Pernament orb of electricity? Perhaps [as pressure generates heat as well] some spells with sound or force damage?

What other spells can be used in this way? Can you write some? Maybe meteor swarm with its fire and pressure damage would be good? :smallbiggrin:

The other problem is - why mages don't use such spells in this way - well, maybe geology of D&D trails significantly behind ours and nobody knows you can make them in such a way [especially as anyone knows diamonds were made by gods so they don't need to explain how they formed]?

Discuss :smallsigh:

WalkingTarget
2008-02-20, 03:13 PM
maybe geology of D&D trails significantly behind ours and nobody knows you can make them in such a way

I'd say this is the most likely reason against it.

I can see it now, V crams the above mentioned wand into the barrel and sets it off. Barrel fails structurally and a fragment flies across the page and kills a catgirl.

factotum
2008-02-20, 05:15 PM
I'd say the most likely explanation is that any such method would probably produce a very imperfect diamond, and since the spells in question require diamonds of a certain value (suggesting very good stones) it probably simply wouldn't work. (Note that even with all our modern technology we can't manufacture gem-quality stones--just industrial grade stuff for using on the cutting edges of diamond saws and the like).

chibibar
2008-02-20, 05:29 PM
It is magically possible BUT there is cost vs "profit"

How much exp, gold, experimentation and time you gonna need to make such a device and WORK. In order to produce how much diamond? I don't have my DMG with me to calculate the cost or even start on it (3.0+ requires EXP also) this could actually make the item cost MORE than the diamond it "could" produce :)

A magic user can make a wand of fireball and sell it and make more money to BUY the diamond than to make it ;)

now....... if you play AD&D 2nd Edition there was an obscure class that many GM won't allow. Chronomancy (yes.. it is an actual class)

WarriorTribble
2008-02-20, 05:45 PM
(Note that even with all our modern technology we can't manufacture gem-quality stones--just industrial grade stuff for using on the cutting edges of diamond saws and the like).Rather off topic, but we've been able to make gem qualities for quite some time (http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.09/diamond.html) The article is over four years old, but the technology is probably older.

Joran
2008-02-20, 06:03 PM
Rather off topic, but we've been able to make gem qualities for quite some time The article is over four years old, but the technology is probably older.

It depends though. It's fairly easy to make gem-quality yellow diamonds, but the holy grail of synthetic diamonds, the colorless one carat diamond cheaply, isn't quite there yet. However, colorless diamonds are boring ;)

Superglucose
2008-02-20, 09:56 PM
It depends though. It's fairly easy to make gem-quality yellow diamonds, but the holy grail of synthetic diamonds, the colorless one carat diamond cheaply, isn't quite there yet. However, colorless diamonds are boring ;)

[citation needed]

According to whom can we not make synthetic diamonds?

And they have the power to STOP TIME! (Well, maybe not those particular spellcasters, but as a general rule of thumb spellcasters do) If they can stop time, how can they not create diamonds?

Morgan Wick
2008-02-21, 12:40 AM
Okay, OotS needs diamonds to rez Roy. Preferably something worth 50K to cast True Resurrection.

What makes you think they won't be able to do regular Resurrection, which only requires 10K? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/resurrection.htm)

WarriorTribble
2008-02-21, 10:50 PM
It depends though. It's fairly easy to make gem-quality yellow diamonds, but the holy grail of synthetic diamonds, the colorless one carat diamond cheaply, isn't quite there yet. However, colorless diamonds are boring ;)According to wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_diamond#Gemstones) (which I should've gone to first really :smallsmile: ) we can make those clear as glass diamonds, though the yellow ones are cheaper to make. Still find it ironic that in nature the colored ones are more expensive.

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-21, 11:12 PM
Meh. I hope Roy stays dead.

cheesecake
2008-02-23, 08:25 AM
summon an elephant. protect said elephant with fire resistance. Coat said elephant in Oil, and set on fire. Have elephant stand on piece of coal awhile it is burning. Instant diamonds.

You can even make 4 at a time.