PDA

View Full Version : Honor Harrington: worthwhile?

kamikasei
2008-02-20, 04:31 PM
Intrigued by the discussion in the Team Genius threads and seeing that the first two books were available free online, I have started reading the Honor Harrington novels. So far they are pretty cool. What I am wondering is, is this series worth continuing with? Does the quality markedly decline as the books go on? Does Harrington become an utter Mary Sue? Do Nimitz and McKeon ever reconcile their forbidden love?

In summary: having gotten my exposure to the book's ideas re: space combat, are the plot and/or new ideas in the remaining books worth their price?

Lord Iames Osari
2008-02-20, 05:45 PM
Intrigued by the discussion in the Team Genius threads and seeing that the first two books were available free online, I have started reading the Honor Harrington novels. So far they are pretty cool. What I am wondering is, is this series worth continuing with? Does the quality markedly decline as the books go on? Does Harrington become an utter Mary Sue? Do Nimitz and McKeon ever reconcile their forbidden love?

In summary: having gotten my exposure to the book's ideas re: space combat, are the plot and/or new ideas in the remaining books worth their price?
I would say they are, yes. Honor does become a bit Sue-ish in the later books, but it's internally consistent and handled well (IMO).

Dervag
2008-02-20, 09:07 PM
I would say that the later Honor Harrington books are worthwhile.

I basically concur with Osari's view on the subject. I would suggest that if you find yourself growing a little tired of the style in the later books (the fleets getting bigger, the commands getting less personal, Honor tending to "level up" considerably over time), you might want to read the 'side series' set in the Honor Harrington universe. Right now the only two books in question are "Crown of Slaves" and "Shadow of Saganami", both of which are 'prequeled' strongly by one of the stories in the anthologies ("From the Highlands"). You don't need to read "From the Highlands" to enjoy "Crown of Slaves," let alone "Shadow of Saganami," but it helps.

Based on Weber's comments, I suspect that he's taken the Honor Harrington series proper almost as far as he plans to, and that he's becoming more interested in telling related stories in the same universe. In a sense, the plot has evolved to the point where Honor isn't making quite as interesting a protagonist as she used to, because various events have left her with a lot of political influence and few remaining domestic enemies.

The later Honor novels are still good; they just don't have quite the same kick as the earlier ones that jumpstarted the series.

LordVader
2008-02-20, 10:11 PM
Ironically enough, At All Costs was the *first* HH book I read. Go figure. o_O
I'm currently picking up the series in order from library/Borders, and I recommend it. The battles definitely get more epic the farther in you go, but I like that kinda stuff.

Dervag
2008-02-21, 12:05 AM
I would never call Honorverse battles "epic."

But that's only because I've read Doc Smith's Lensman novels.

Brings a whole new meaning to the word "sunbeam."

Lord Iames Osari
2008-02-21, 12:10 PM
I would never call Honorverse battles "epic."

But that's only because I've read Doc Smith's Lensman novels.

Brings a whole new meaning to the word "sunbeam."

I would call them epic, for a given value of "epic".

Dervag
2008-02-21, 12:26 PM
I would call them epic, for a given value of "epic".Granted. I just find myself unable to give such a value of epic now that I've seen the Galactic Patrol slinging antimatter planets at Boskonian bases.

TheElfLord
2008-02-21, 01:46 PM
I think epic battles have to be placed in their context. When the fighting at the beginning of the series is between two ships and now is between hundreds at once, that is a ramping up into epicness.

I don't think Honor is a Mary Sue character. She is good, but she isn't out of the realm of possibility. Thats like calling Horatio Nelson or Alexander the Great Mary Sues.