PDA

View Full Version : Wolverine Casting News!

North
2008-02-20, 04:43 PM
Just saw this on Canoe.ca

The cast of 20th Century Fox's superhero drama "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" has expanded to include Taylor Kitsch, will.i.am and Ryan Reynolds.

Also joining the Marvel adaptation are Danny Huston, Lynn Collins and the previously reported Liev Schreiber.

Gavin Hood ("Rendition") is directing Hugh Jackman in the project, which looks at the early days of the surly, fast-healing, claw-sporting mutant. Production is already underway with a May 1, 2009 release date in the cards.

Echoing a slew of online reports, Variety says that Kitsch (Tim Riggins on NBC's "Friday Night Lights") will play Gambit, a bo-wielding Cajun with the ability to manipulate kinetic energy and an on-and-off romance with Rogue.

Reynolds ("Definitely Maybe") will play Deadpool, an assassin and self-healer. It's expected to only be a cameo, but if the character proves popular, he could be the centerpiece for a future film.

Black Eyed Peas frontman will.i.am will play teleporting mutant Wraith.

Schreiber is attached as Victor Creed, who doubles as Wolverine's nemesis Sabretooth, with Danny Huston as William Stryker, the mutant-hater played by Brian Cox in a previous "X-Men" film. Collins ("The Merchant of Venice") will play Silver Fox, Wolverine's lover.

Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool?! Thats goign to be eerie.

But Gambit, Sabretooth, Silverfox, Wraith too many characteritis! I hope it doesnt turn into Batman & Robin.:smalleek:

tape_measure
2008-02-20, 05:13 PM
I, for one, am just tickled pink that comic books are finally "making it" on the big screen. Too many years have gone by without some of the classic/epic/great (even) stories being displayed. Couple the good story arcs with the technology we have these days (geez I sound old...) and it's a recipe for success.

yeah...you get a few quirky adaptations, but it sure as hell beats that pants off some of the bizarro movies that came out of the seventies and eighties. :smallconfused:

factotum
2008-02-20, 05:18 PM
If this is Wolverine's early days, then Gambit having an on-and-off relationship with Rogue could be tricky, what with her age when Wolverine meets up with her in the original X-Men movie!

FoE
2008-02-20, 05:18 PM
Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool, huh? Well, judging by Blade:Trinity, he's got the physique for it. And unlike that film, his smart-ass wisecracking would work for Deadpool, whereas it partly ruined Blade:Trinity. (Note the use of the term "partly." The lame-ass villains and nonsensical plot helped a lot.)

SpiderMew
2008-02-20, 05:26 PM
I dont understand how the whole, gambit + rogue thing will work if its an early movie, seeing as how rogue never met logan till the first xmen movie.

This would make no sence at all.

What about Maverick, the other member of weapon x?

RandomLogic
2008-02-20, 06:17 PM
Deadpool will be pretty ba to see in a movie! Also I like Ryan Reynolds and I would imagine they'll keep his character similar to the one in Blade:trinity so hes a pretty good fit for the part.

I'm pretty excited for what this movie will be, but I wonder if it will be overdone with so many mutants (named characters at least) or if it will be fantastic like actually bringing some of the comics to screen.

North
2008-02-20, 07:51 PM
OOoh plus they get to make Ryan Renolds fugly :smallbiggrin: When I saw his name I actually thought Maverick, but was very happy to see Deadpool. They just need to keep it as a short cameo, as a nod to the fans.

Please not another cluttered X3:smallfrown:

Serenity
2008-02-20, 09:30 PM
My guess is that movie Gambit won't actually meet Rogue, and the people writing this release just copied some info about him off Wikipedia. That, or the movie will have a number of scenes in the present day.