PDA

View Full Version : Noobified question about saving throws.

cloneof
2008-02-20, 05:18 PM
Hi peoplez on this forum ^^.

I`m have been DM`n for the most part of this and fall of last year and I never before that had I change to play as a normal player (D&D 3,5). Now as I was to be only one on my group to had read all the rules and such (becouse i`m the only one with enough nerd ability to read book in english), so everyone looked up to me when we had problems and most part it has worked fine, but now I face with a difficult challenge, how to rate the DC for a Will save roll?
I have no idea how to set DC for a magical attack against the player and I have to improvise most of the time, but it can`t go on, it eats the adventure.

Could anyone help me with this issue?

Bryn
2008-02-20, 05:25 PM
Don't worry about it; the rules are hard to find.

The DC for any spell is 10+spell level+casting ability modifier (Int for Wizards, Wis, for Clerics, etc.). So, if a Wizard with an 18 in Intelligence cast Sleep (a level 1 spell), the DC would be 10+1 (level)+4 (ability)=15.

There are ways to increase this, such as the Spell Focus feat, which adds 1 to the DC in a certain school of magic. So, if a Wizard with Spell Focus (Enchantment) cast Sleep, the DC would be 10+1+4+1 (Spell Focus), or 16.

Here are the full rules: Saving Throw for spells (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#savingThrow)

Hope that helps :smallsmile:

Oracle_Hunter
2008-02-20, 05:28 PM
Hi peoplez on this forum ^^.

I`m have been DM`n for the most part of this and fall of last year and I never before that had I change to play as a normal player (D&D 3,5). Now as I was to be only one on my group to had read all the rules and such (becouse i`m the only one with enough nerd ability to read book in english), so everyone looked up to me when we had problems and most part it has worked fine, but now I face with a difficult challenge, how to rate the DC for a Will save roll?
I have no idea how to set DC for a magical attack against the player and I have to improvise most of the time, but it can`t go on, it eats the adventure.

Could anyone help me with this issue?

It's in the PHB, but generally it is (10+Spell Level+Caster Stat Bonus). You use that for all saves caused by spells, unless otherwise noted.

For instance, a CHA 16 Bard casting Sleep (a level 1 spell) forces a Will save of 10 + 1 (spell level) + 3 (The Bard is a CHA caster, and that's his CHA bonus) = 14. A saving throw of 14 or higher will thus make the save.

Have fun with D&D!

EDIT: Gah! Ninjas are everywhere!

Chronos
2008-02-20, 05:30 PM
And if it's a spell cast from an item (wand, magic trap, etc.), you should assume that it was cast with the minimum possible ability score. So a fourth-level spell should be assumed to have been cast by someone with a 14 in the relevant score (and hence a +2 DC modifier), etc.

If it's a spell-like ability of a creature, you use the equivalent spell (or whatever spell is closest to it, if there isn't an exact match) and the creature's relevant ability score (usually Charisma).

And if it's a supernatural or extraordinary creature ability, the DC is 10 + half the creature's HD + the relevant ability score modifier (which can be almost anything, depending on the attack). Breath weapons and poisons are generally based on Con, things based on smacking characters around are based on Str, and most supernatural abilities are based on Cha.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-20, 05:37 PM
The DCs for racial spell-like abilities use the same 10 + spell level + modifier formula for spells listed above, but they are all Charisma-based unless otherwise noted. In general, you are to use the spell level as if the spell-like ability were a Sorcerer/Wizard spell. If not on the Sorcerer/Wizard list, then use cleric, druid, bard, paladin, or ranger spell lists, in that order of preference. (SRD:Monster Types, Subtyes, and Special Abilities:Special Abilities (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/monsterTypes.html#special-abilities))

So a creature that has chill metal as a 3/day spell like ability and a Charisma of 16 would have DC 10 + 2 + 3 = 15.

Supernatural abilities are generally 10 + half the creature's hit dice + relevant ability modifier. The relevant ability varies depending on the type of attack but is always listed in the ability description. (SRD:Monster Types, Subtyes, and Special Abilities:Special Abilities (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/monsterTypes.html#special-abilities))

Breath weapons are usually Constitution-based. So a creature with a Supernatural Breath Weapon, 14 hit dice, and a Constitution of 19 has DC 10 + 7 + 4 = 21.