PDA

View Full Version : Is Imageshack an ok host for my custom avatar?

stm177
2008-02-20, 07:24 PM
Bisected8 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=23169) was nice enough to make me this avatar: Foghorn (http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/1453/foghornleghornavatarbw7ah8.gif)

But I don't know if imageshack.us is ok to use for avatars here. I don't have
my own host, so I'd have to use a free one like that.

If there's a preferred free host, what would it be?

Thanks.

crimson77
2008-02-20, 07:28 PM
I used image shack for over a year and i have had no problems.

North
2008-02-20, 08:03 PM
Yeah I use Imageshack for everything here. Shouldnt be a problem.

Edan
2008-02-20, 08:37 PM
I use imageshack for almost everything, but I hear good things about photobucket (http://photobucket.com/) as well, especially for organized folders for artist types.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-02-20, 10:16 PM
My only gripes with imageshack are the user interface and the fact that they delete images if they aren't viewed in X amount of time; neither of which should be a problem for you regarding an avatar that someone else uploaded.

I prefer Photobucket, but that's only really for personal use. Imageshack is fine.

SpiderMew
2008-02-20, 11:43 PM
Image shack will delete your photos after a while..
Thats why i go with photobucket. Its nice to have.
Its also very user friendly.

Bryn
2008-02-21, 04:55 AM
Image shack will delete your photos after a while..
Thats why i go with photobucket. Its nice to have.
Its also very user friendly.

I've still got every image I've ever uploaded to Imageshack, are you sure about that?

(My earliest image is from March 2006, almost 2 years ago now. I've uploaded over 340 images, and apart from the servers being sometimes very slow, I've had no cause for complaint)

Jalor
2008-02-21, 06:28 AM
Imageshack is definitely the way to go. I use it, and so far none of my images have been deleted. Photobucket, on the other hand, requires membership.

Bayar
2008-02-21, 07:10 AM
Meh, I would go with Photobucket...Imageshack has a nasty habbit to turn pictures into thumbnails...

Ichneumon
2008-02-21, 09:31 AM
Meh, I would go with Photobucket...Imageshack has a nasty habbit to turn pictures into thumbnails...

What are you talking about?:smallconfused:

Nerd-o-rama
2008-02-21, 10:53 AM
Imageshack deletes images after they get no views for a certain amount of time. So if all your images are hotlinked somewhere popular, they'll stay around. It's also got an interface where I, personally, can't figure out how to hotlink an image that's not a thumbnail, but it clearly is possible.

Photobucket does require membership, but it's free. I don't think they even ask for an email address, or at least they don't make you validate it. I think; it's been a while since I registered.

Just clearing up confusion.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-21, 12:19 PM
Imageshack deletes images after they get no views for a certain amount of time. So if all your images are hotlinked somewhere popular, they'll stay around. It's also got an interface where I, personally, can't figure out how to hotlink an image that's not a thumbnail, but it clearly is possible.
DivShare does the same freakin' thing. Drives me nuts.

If Imageshack automatically puts your images on an "album" page, you can go to that page and then right or command click on the image. From there, use the contextual message to either open up an "Image Properties" type window or "Open Image/Open Image in New Window/Open Image in New Tab". You can then get the actual url of the actual image.

Should work. That's how I get what I want off of DivShare.

Iku Rex
2008-02-22, 04:29 AM
I use http://www.tinypic.com/ .

Quick, simple, no registration, and so far I haven't had any problems with it.

Demented
2008-02-22, 07:57 PM
So long as you associate your images with an account (even a free account), your images will stick around in Imageshack. I've got images from 2005 still hanging around that I'll guarantee nobody has looked at. Though, they do have a tendency to be made Private, whatever that does.

If you don't have an Imageshack account, the images will pop in a year of inactivity.

Imageshack accounts aren't exactly pretty; they're functional, but not pretty.
You need to access your account with a link, too. There's no account name or password, they just send you an email with a link that you can bookmark, and it forever remembers who you are... It's actually kind of creepy.

crimson77
2008-02-22, 08:26 PM
Imageshack accounts aren't exactly pretty; they're functional, but not pretty.
You need to access your account with a link, too. There's no account name or password, they just send you an email with a link that you can bookmark, and it forever remembers who you are... It's actually kind of creepy.

What are you talking about? Imageshack has an account login and password. I upload pictures from more than one computer. It remembers you through a cookie (the kind that computers eat). If you want your computer to forget you then take away its cookies by clearing private data. Your computer will punish you for taking away its cookies by erasing your private information.

If you do lots of uploading pictures i would recommend getting the imageshack tool bar for your web browser.

Demented
2008-02-23, 03:56 AM
Must be because I've never logged out.
Even starting a new computer, I just went back to my email account and used the same link. Haven't seen a login or password ever.

Bryn
2008-02-24, 06:53 AM
Scroll to the bottom of the page after you upload it. One of the links you get when you upload an image should read 'direct link to image'. Put that in tags to get the image.

Alternatively, there should be code for 'hotlink to forums'. Get that and remove the '' bit at the beginning of the code and the ' (http://imageshack.us)' bit at the end to get the same thing.

If you have an account on Imageshack and you click on the little 'i' symbol, you get a direct hotlink with no link back to imageshack right at the top of the list of links.

As for the Imageshack accounts thing, I believe they changed their system to start using a username/password instead of the emailed link.