PDA

View Full Version : Flaming Troll

Rowanomicon
2008-02-20, 07:47 PM
As a normal Troll (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/troll.htm), but with the Fire Subtype (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#fireSubtype) and the following abilities:

Flaming Touch:
All of the Flaming Troll's natural and touch melee attacks deal 1d6 fire damage.

Flaming Blast:
Flaming Trolls can shoot a blast of flame dealing 2d6 damage with a range of 30 feet.

Cold Vulnerability:
As well as the normal Cold Vulnerability of all Fire Subtype creatures Flaming Trolls take lethal damage from Cold the way normal Trolls do form Fire.

Invoke Anger:
Whenever the Flaming Troll uses it's Rend ability against an opponent that opponent must make a Will Save or fly into a Rage. This Rage does not end until either the Flaming Troll or the raging opponent is dead.
During this Rage the raging oponent must succeed a Will Save to not attack the closes person to it, even if it is a friend. If a friend and an opponent are tied for closest then the rager may attack the opponent.
Both Will Save DCs are 19.
If the rager has the Rage ability they gain those ability bonuses and penalties and if not they gain +4 Str and Con and -2 AC.

Illiteracy:
Flaming Trolls do not automatically know how to read and write. A Flaming Troll may spend 2 skill points to gain the ability to read and write all languages he is able to speak.

A Flaming Troll does not automaticall gain literacy if he takes class levels.

Taunt:
Although Flaming Trolls are especially good at it, any character can attempt to make a Bluff check to taunt a foe. The target of the Bluff check must be able to see and hear the taunting character and must be an intelligent creature who understands the taunting character's language. Creatures that are immune to mind-affecting effects are immune to this use of the Bluff Skill.

To taunt an opponent in combat, make a Bluff check opposed by a Sense Motive check by your target. If your Bluff check exceeds your target's Sense Motive check, your target is nettledby your taunts and suffers a -1 penalty on his attack rolls and AC until your next action. An enemy distracted by your taunts is likely to direct his next attack against you, but is under no comulsion to do so. Using the Bluff skill to taunt a foe requires a standard action, but does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

Flaming Trolls get a +8 bonus to all Bluff checks made to Taunt opponents.

If I end up changing the basis enough then I'll write out a full stat block for them.

Parvum
2008-02-20, 07:50 PM
Charisma-based sonic attacks, and immunity (ignorance) to similar attacks. Deafness? Illiteracy.

Xuincherguixe
2008-02-20, 07:53 PM
That either makes it harder to prevent it from regenerating, or it'd be kind of silly.

"He's on fire, but the fireball is preventing him from regenerating?"
"It's the counter intuitive fire troll!"

Speaking of which, I wonder what the counterintuitive template does.

edit: Ah, I see you clarified. I'd edit my own post, but dang it I like my random conversations!

Rowanomicon
2008-02-20, 08:01 PM
Edited OP.

What CR increase do you think is apropriate?
Fire does not damage them at all or prevent regeneration.
Cold does though.

Are the Flaming attacks appropriate damage for the CR?

Still wanting the Kender Taunt ability or anything similar.

EDIT: Edited OP again.
Added the Kender Taunt thing.

Any comments, questions, or criticism?
Still unsure of what CR increase to give them. I think it might be just +1.
I'm accepting sugegstions for anything else to add to this beast.