PDA

View Full Version : All you PCs wanna jump! jump! [Build?]

Maerok
2008-02-20, 08:19 PM
Are there any builds out there for making the highest possible leap, using the Jump skill? And possibly surviving the fall upon crashing down on one's enemies might be good too, but not necessary.

NEO|Phyte
2008-02-20, 08:21 PM
Thri-kreen are always handy, what with the 40' base speed and racial +30 to jump checks.

serow
2008-02-20, 08:33 PM
There was a Diplojumper or Jumpomancer or watnot on the Wizards board that someone came up with.
A super jumper who turns everyone watching him jump into fanatics for him :smallbiggrin:

Maerok
2008-02-20, 08:35 PM
Did that use Exemplar?

Draz74
2008-02-20, 08:41 PM
It sure did. (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=943738)

Maerok
2008-02-20, 09:09 PM
Shaq for President build? :D

Prometheus
2008-02-20, 10:27 PM
That build used Cheetah's Speed, but a monk with Boots of Springing and Striding, haste, and run works pretty good to. You can easily get to a +60 bonus by 9th level, without even drinking a potion of Jump for the extra 30. I had a player who did this for the hell of it (he was a fond of speed anyway). The best application was when he was running using water walk and jumped up onto the ship which was some 30 feet off the surface of the water (+60, taking 10 for 70 or roughly 18 feet of the ground, enlarge person gave him a height of 14 feet and a longer reach where he could make up the remaining 12 by pulling himself up with a climb check). That aside, you can usually get a ridiculous enough Jump check to do whatever you want.

I might also want to mention that Jump bonuses from speed are based on base speed, so anything that multiplies your speed doesn't tend to help much

dyslexicfaser
2008-02-20, 10:58 PM
I've also seen a scoutX/PsyWar2/blade dancerX that worked nicely for this purpose. He could jump 40' or so, and if he needed to get higher, he could use his Up the Walls and 110' land speed to run up and drop down on them with a Battlejump.

Icewalker
2008-02-21, 01:52 AM
Wow...I want to pose a challenge here to up that +370 jump check. Point Buy 28, standard wbl for a 10th level character, as a 10th level character. See how high you can get it.

Throwing in Thri-Keen and a few magic items would probably bring it up easily over 400, right?

Paragon Badger
2008-02-21, 02:37 AM
...What if you never come back down? :smalleek:

Talic
2008-02-21, 03:10 AM
Thri-Kreen Sorceror 10, rogue 2, max ranks in jump (15), Agile athlete, 20+ dex, quick trait, speed of thought, wild talent, expeditious retreat, jump spell.

+30 Racial, +15 rank, +5 dex, +24 Movement bonus (90 move), +30 jump spell.

Total mod = +104. Taking 10 will give you a jump 114 feet long, or a vertical jump just under 11 feet up (which means your total vertical reach is just under 19 feet).

For surviving the fall? 11 feet up at the apex? DC 10 tumble check. For higher distances? Feather Fall.

SoD
2008-02-21, 03:28 AM
There was one prestige class in Oriental Adventures that gives a +10 competance to jump, tumble and balance (I think it was those three) at first level, a +20 partway through and eventually +30 competance.

dyslexicfaser
2008-02-21, 03:30 AM
That would be the Blade Dancer, I believe. It also eventually gave you Airwalk.

RTGoodman
2008-02-21, 08:23 AM
If you're going to be an awesome jumper, make sure to take the Leap of the Heavens feat from PHB2. It lets you make standing jumps as if they were running jumps, which is pretty good for, you know, jumping 150 feet from standing still.

Also, if you do run first, it gives you a bonus on the Jump check (I think +4 or +5, but I could be wrong).

Xyk
2008-02-21, 08:49 AM
If you're going to be an awesome jumper, make sure to take the Leap of the Heavens feat from PHB2. It lets you make standing jumps as if they were running jumps, which is pretty good for, you know, jumping 150 feet from standing still.

Also, if you do run first, it gives you a bonus on the Jump check (I think +4 or +5, but I could be wrong).

Yes, that feat gives you +5 if you run.

kentma57
2008-02-21, 09:21 AM
I build a thri-keen Lancer once (Lance- prestige class from Finnal Fantisy Tactics)...

Feats to wear extra rings = 5 rings of greater jump
- a racial bonus
- two heroes halbergs(?) +30 jump each, removes falling damage and removes the height cap...
- boots of striding and sringing
- max ranks in jumps
- +8 dex mod
- and I think I had a cloack too

I might do the math and give you his jump total later...

Person_Man
2008-02-21, 09:41 AM
Luigi

Half-Orc Monk 6/Psionic Fist 9

Notable Powers: Stomp, Expansion, Psionic Lion's Charge.

Items: Ring of Improved Jumping, +1 Flaming Shuriken

Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist, Combat Reflexes, Improved Trip, Wild Talent, Headlong Rush, Knock-Down, Leap of Heavens, Battle Jump.

Battle Jump is from Unapprouchable East. It gives you double damage on a charge as long as you drop from 15 feet above them.

Headlong Rush is from Races of Faerun. It gives orcs or half orcs double damage on a charge, but provokes AoO from everyone along the way (which is why the reach from Expansion is so important - it gives you reach so that you can hit them without them threatening you, and it increases your unarmed damage).

Remember that Monks can make unarmed attacks with any part of their body, including the bottom of their feet.

Leap of Heavens+Battle Jump+Headlong Rush+Psionic Lion's Charge+Stunning Fist+Flurry+Knock-Down+Improved Trip = Flattened enemies (and then you finish off your Full Attack/Flurry by throwing Flaming Shuriken)

At higher levels, you could fit in a Quickened Stomp.

Not the most optimal. But fun, relatively easy to play, and it has a small range of useful and interesting powers and feats.

Worira
2008-02-21, 09:49 AM
A one level dip in warblade can get you sudden leap, which lets you move up to your jump check as a swift action. 5 levels lets you grab leaping dragon stance, giving you a +10 bonus (untyped, I believe) and making you count as running even when standing still.

And kentma, stacking does not work that way. At all.

Obrysii
2008-02-21, 10:02 AM
[QUOTE=kentma57;3966977]I build a thri-keen Lancer once (Lance- prestige class from Finnal Fantisy Tactics)...

Feats to wear extra rings = 5 rings of greater jump/QUOTE]

Except ... the rings of Jump don't stack.

Thri'kreen [+30]
Dex 38 [+14]
Greater Ring of Jump [+10]
Speed 110ft [+32]
Max Ranks [+23]
Run feat [+4]

Total [Taking 10]: 123 result.

Now, does that rule for movement account for a Running start as well? If not ...
Thri'kreen [+30]
Dex 38 [+14]
Speed 550ft [+208]
Max Ranks [+23]
Run feat [+4]

Total [Taking 10]: 299

Obrysii
2008-02-21, 10:05 AM
[QUOTE=kentma57;3966977]I build a thri-keen Lancer once (Lance- prestige class from Finnal Fantisy Tactics)...

Feats to wear extra rings = 5 rings of greater jump/QUOTE]

Except ... the rings of Jump don't stack.

Thri'kreen [+30]
Dex 38 [+14]
Speed 110ft [+32]
Max Ranks [+23]
Run feat [+4]

Total [Taking 10]: 123 result.

Now, does that rule for movement account for a Running start as well? If not ...
Thri'kreen [+30]
Dex 38 [+14]
Speed 550ft [+208]
Max Ranks [+23]
Run feat [+4]

Total [Taking 10]: 299

AmberVael
2008-02-21, 10:46 AM
Okay, I have no viable explanation behind this build and why it is this way- I'd probably never use it. But if you want a high jump check...
Assuming 28 point buy.

Thri-kreen Druidic Avenger 5/Wizard 1
Str: 22 (24 with belt)
Dex: 14
Con: 8
Int: 12
Wis: 14
Cha: 4

Feats:
1st level Power Attack
1st level (flaw) Speed of Thought
3rd level Item Familiar
5th level (flaw) Leap Attack
6th level Cheetah's Speed

Traits:
Quick
Illiterate (+1 jump)

Speed: 90ft = 50ft (cheetah's speed) +10ft(druidic avenger) +10ft(speed of thought)+10ft (magic item) +10ft (quick)

Items: (49,000gp)
Boots of Striding (As striding and springing, but without jump bonus) 2,000
Ring of Springing (+20 competence to jump) 40,000
Belt of Strength (+2 strength bonus) 4,000

Using the jumplomancer formula, we get a speed bonus of +348. However, we get to improve on that...
Cast Jump and use your Rage ability before jumping for:

Jump: +453 = +348 (speed) +11 ranks, +30 (racial), +20 (competence magic item), +9 strength, +2 (tumble synergy), +11 item familiar (invested rank bonus) +10 jump spell (enhancement bonus), +1 (illiterate)

Magnor Criol
2008-02-21, 10:55 AM
Thri-kreen Druidic Avenger 5/Sorcerer 1
Jump: +451 = +348 (speed) +11 ranks, +30 (racial), +20 (competence magic item), +7 strength, +2 (tumble synergy), +11 item familiar (invested rank bonus) +10 jump spell (enhancement bonus), +1 (illiterate)

Why's sorc in there? You can't cast spells with a charisma that low, right?

Also, what's the "+1 (illiterate) part?

AmberVael
2008-02-21, 10:58 AM
Ah, my bad. Replace it with Wizard and it'll work out the same way. It's so you can cast 'Jump.'
Illiterate is a Trait from Unearthed Arcana that makes you illiterate but grants a +1 untyped bonus to any skill.
I also forgot to mention that you can Rage and gain an extra +4 to your strength and add that bonus in.

RTGoodman
2008-02-21, 11:03 AM
Feats:
1st level Power Attack
1st level (flaw) Speed of Thought
3rd level Item Familiar
5th level (flaw) Leap Attack
6th level Cheetah's Speed

That's assuming your DM allows you to take a flaw at a level other than 1st (which is optional), and that he'd allow you to take a feat (Leap Attack) both at a level you don't normally get one and before you meet the prerequisites (Leap Attack requires +6 BAB, right?). (Nevermind. Maybe it's Shock Trooper that has that particular requirement?)

Jump: +451 = +348 (speed) +11 ranks, +30 (racial), +20 (competence magic item), +7 strength, +2 (tumble synergy), +11 item familiar (invested rank bonus) +10 jump spell (enhancement bonus), +1 (illiterate)

Good luck casting Sorcerer spells (I assume that's where that's coming from) with a 4 Charisma. I guess you could wand it, though.

EDIT: Double-ninja'd looking up traits and flaws...

EDIT 2: Wait a minute - can a Wizard even legally take Illiterate as a flaw? And if so, doesn't that mean he's basically a Commoner with a good Will save (since he can't read his spellbook)?

AmberVael
2008-02-21, 11:07 AM
That's assuming your DM allows you to take a flaw at a level other than 1st (which is optional), and that he'd allow you to take a feat (Leap Attack) both at a level you don't normally get one and before you meet the prerequisites (Leap Attack requires +6 BAB, right?).
Leap Attack. (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Leap_Attack,all)
No BAB required.
Yes, the flaw at 5th level is an optional rule, but so are a lot of the things I use. I'm mainly displaying what you can do with full rein- I expect that you'll have to tailor it to different campaigns.
If you want to use it. I'm not sure why you ever would.

^: The negative side of Illiterate can be negated with 2 spent skill points, so that will not be a problem.