PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Greysky City (Spoilers and Speculations Aplenty!)

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-02-20, 09:00 PM
OK, Haley doesn't seem too thrilled about going to Greysky City. Although On the Origins of PCs doesn't exactly name the town where she quits the Thieves' Guild, it doesn't seem to be too much of a stretch that Haley is from GC.

Also in OtOoPCs, Elan and Sir Francios stay at the "Rob U While U Sleep Inn," Crystal the Assassin is seen hiding a body with the innkeeper. That sort of indicates that Elan may know his way around the city, and may suggest to Hinjo that since the Fleet is not having any luck gaining allies among the Southern Nations, the more mercenary Northern Nations might be willing to hire on to evict Xykon from Azure City.

The only other thought I have at the moment is a brief idea that Graysky City might have Replicants, Spinners, and other elements from Blade Runner. Don't laugh, Rich borrows from, er, "pays homage to" many different sources, and Blade Runner's L.A. certianly had grey skys and lots of rain!

It also seems like a good place to bring Our Heroes back together, plus bring in a few more re-occuring antagonists.

Superglucose
2008-02-20, 09:13 PM
HAHAHAH! I hope it IS Greysky city that the thieve's guild is in. I'd love to see a fight between Haley and Crystal. Crystal couldn't have leveld up that much in the same time, and now Haley has, well, Belkar (who should start dual wielding saps) and Celia.

Felixaar
2008-02-20, 09:23 PM
Actually, I think Greysky City is where Lord Tyrinar has Haley's father, Ian Starshine imprisoned.

TorJin
2008-02-20, 10:19 PM
Tyrinar is on the Western Continent; Greysky City is to the north of Azure City. They're on different continents. :-)

factotum
2008-02-21, 02:09 AM
And even if Greysky City *were* where Haley's father was imprisoned, how would she know that? It wasn't mentioned in the ransom letter.

I also have to admit that I've read Origins twice and I never noticed before that the woman hiding the body in the inn was Crystal... :smallredface:

Tempest Fennac
2008-02-21, 02:49 AM
That is an interesting theory about Greysky City and the Thieve's Guild. It doesn't appear to be on the Western Continet, though, which is where Tyraina is.

SPoD
2008-02-21, 05:13 AM
I think you're on to something, and I would like to add the following possible supporting detail:

Not too long ago, Haley was hiding in a box visibly labeled, "Imported from Greysky City"...perhaps foreshadowing us learning that she, herself, was a native of Greysky City that had been "imported" to Azure City. This would add further credibility to the idea that the Thieves' Guild scenes from Origins took place there.

Vargtass
2008-02-21, 05:31 AM
As the entire thread is already spoilered, I would like to point out that Greysky City is the city outside which Xykon's stronghold on an island is found. The tavern where Eugene almost got a solid lead on Xykon is in Greysky City.

Chronos
2008-02-21, 08:02 PM
My take was that it was just Haley dragging her feet more: She prefers to try Cliffport, because Cliffport is further away, thus delaying when she might potentially find out that Elan is dead. I hadn't even considered the possibility that she had reasons for avoiding Greysky specifically, but it does seem plausible.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-02-21, 08:17 PM
As the entire thread is already spoilered, I would like to point out that Greysky City is the city outside which Xykon's stronghold on an island is found. The tavern where Eugene almost got a solid lead on Xykon is in Greysky City.

You might be onto something here. Elan and Hinjo will have to pass the island on the way in (maybe), so they might decide to explore...

Wonder what they might find?

Forealms
2008-02-21, 09:00 PM
On the Origins of PCs doesn't exactly name the town where she quits the Thieves' Guild

(This might have been said earlier, blame my laziness)

It may be called Greysky City because in OtOoPCs it had a grey sky.... cause, y'know, it was in greyscale.

So. Yeah.

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-22, 01:01 AM
Now that I've read this, it would seem to tie the plot up nicely.

Tempest Fennac
2008-02-22, 03:29 AM
In regards to Forealms's comment, the city wasn't mentioned at all until SoD. Presumably, it's called Greysky City due to it raining a lot (that is an interesting point, though).

ChaoticEvilGuy
2008-03-23, 01:02 AM
HAHAHAH! I hope it IS Greysky city that the thieve's guild is in. I'd love to see a fight between Haley and Crystal. Crystal couldn't have leveld up that much in the same time, and now Haley has, well, Belkar (who should start dual wielding saps) and Celia.

I sense a cat fight! and it's nearby!

Gamerlord
2008-03-23, 10:11 AM
And even if Greysky City *were* where Haley's father was imprisoned, how would she know that? It wasn't mentioned in the ransom letter.

I also have to admit that I've read Origins twice and I never noticed before that the woman hiding the body in the inn was Crystal... :smallredface:

who's crystel?

Tempest Fennac
2008-03-23, 11:17 AM
OtOoPCs spoiler:

Crystal was an Assassin from the Thieve's Guild which Haley was in. Haley claimed Crystal was just an Assassin who looted her victims rather then a real thief, and Crystal came across as a bit of a moron (hence the line "there's no "I" in "Thieve's Guild"" Her and Haley also had a mutual hatred of each other, and a namelss Halfling commented that Crystal is good at killing things dispite being a lousy thief. She was last seen at the Rob You While You Sleep Inn, which is where Elan and Sir Francis stayed in one city.

Gamerlord
2008-03-24, 01:11 PM
oh i see thx