PDA

View Full Version : Augment Healing Rules Question

SamTheCleric
2008-02-20, 10:29 PM
I forgive if this has been asked before a million times... I've been searching for some sort of official ruling and can't find it, nor can I get a decent consensus on the matter.

The Augment Healing feat from complete divine gives extra healing per spell level of a conjuration healing spell.

Mass Cure Light Wounds is a 5th level spell. Does the healing provide +10 healing to ALL targets?

If so, I pose the next question to you:

Darts of Life, a 5th level spell from Complete Champion is a Conjuration Healing spell that creates 10 darts that heal for 1d8 each that you can unleash at various intervals at your leisure. How does the augment healing feat apply to this spell? Would it be 1d8+10 to the first dart? Would it be 1d8+10 to EACH dart? Or, would it be 1d8+1 per dart?

-
If I go by exactly how the feat is worded, I don't believe MCLW should get the bonus applied to everyone... but I seem to be in the minority here.

Thank you in advance.

-Sam The Cleric

UMDPenguin
2008-02-21, 11:42 AM
I would be interested to hear others thoughts on this as well. It should be all one way or the other, but now that you pointed that out i realize whenever i've seen it in use its different for these 2 spells and others like it.

LibraryOgre
2008-02-21, 11:42 AM
My guess would be that it's supposed to be +2, per level, total. Divide it up as you wish. They don't mean +2 per level per target.

Keld Denar
2008-02-21, 12:51 PM
I've always seen AH apply to each target in a Mass Cure spell because it is a single instantanious effect. All targets receive the same amount of healing.

The way it works with ongoing effects like the Vigor line of spells and the way I'd imagine it working with Darts of Life, is that it would only apply to the first round or effect. So an Augemented Healing Lesser Vigor would grant fast healing 3 for the first round, and 1 for every round after that. Similarly, the first Dart would heal 1d8+10, with every Dart after that healing 1d8.

That's just based on my experience with many different DMs from many different parts of the country from playing Living Greyhawk, and has been constant.

Hope that helps explain it.

Telonius
2008-02-21, 12:53 PM
I think the spirit of the feat is that your healing is more powerful, in general, than most other healers. I don't think you ought to be able to divide it as you want, it ought to be evenly distributed among all targets.

The wording of the feat is really ambiguous, but I'll go with semantics on this one. The wording says that the spell heals an additional number of hit points, not that the target is healed an additional number of hit points. The thing that's being modified by the feat is the spell, not the target. So, I'd rule that it means 2hp per level, divided evenly among the targets, round down if it's uneven. (This does mean that the feat will not actually heal any more hit points if there are enough targets; them's the breaks).

sikyon
2008-02-21, 12:59 PM
Can we get a quote to lawyer it?

RTGoodman
2008-02-21, 01:22 PM
Can we get a quote to lawyer it?

Certainly - Augment Healing (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Augment_Healing,CD)

I think Telonius is onto something. It says "Add +2 points per spell level to the amount of damage healed by any Conjuration [Healing] spell that you cast." To me, that seems to say that each spell does a total of +2 extra points per level. As long as it only does that maximum, I think that's right. Divvying it up, though, I'm not so sure about.

EDIT: I should read more carefully. It's +2 points per spell level, not just +2 points. I was wondering why anyone would take sure a terrible feat... :smallredface:

SamTheCleric
2008-02-21, 02:15 PM
I've always seen AH apply to each target in a Mass Cure spell because it is a single instantanious effect. All targets receive the same amount of healing.

The way it works with ongoing effects like the Vigor line of spells and the way I'd imagine it working with Darts of Life, is that it would only apply to the first round or effect. So an Augemented Healing Lesser Vigor would grant fast healing 3 for the first round, and 1 for every round after that. Similarly, the first Dart would heal 1d8+10, with every Dart after that healing 1d8.

This is roughly what my friends and I have come to agree on, I just wanted to see what else was out there.

Thank you all for your insight. If anyone else has any opinions, don't be shy to post them. :smallbiggrin:

SadisticFishing
2008-02-21, 02:21 PM
*stuff*

Yeah, this is how we do it, and it seems about right.

In combat healing is drastically underpowered as is, anyways.

Person_Man
2008-02-21, 03:30 PM
Yeah, this is how we do it, and it seems about right.

In combat healing is drastically underpowered as is, anyways.

Agreed. A while back I had the burning desire to play a Healer (either the nerfed class from the miniatures book, or just a Cleric that specialized in it) but after one game session I realized how useless and boring it was.

My suggestion is to skip this feat.

Keld Denar
2008-02-21, 03:42 PM
Also nice, if you are a Radiant Servant (or otherwise Empower your healing) then Augemented Healing actually heals 3x spell level extra since Empower specifically checks the total AFTER constants have been added in (see the Magic Missile example for details). That makes Empowered Cure Light Mass a pretty potent spell to use in melee, especially to recover from AoE effects since it heals (1d8x1.5) + 33 at 12th level (or 11th level with healing domain) which isn't too bad considering a 10th level fireball averages 35 on a failed save. Its really nice if you fight some undead, because then you get twice the hp swing as you heal your allies and harm your foes in the same action.

UMDPenguin
2008-02-21, 03:56 PM
hell yeah RSoP (or RSoO in my case, playing in the world of Aerith and the closest diety to Pelor was Ormazd which the DM OKed). I'm only lvl 3 so 4 more til radiant servant but i'm already having fun. I'm mostly using that build you suggested to me over a few different post a while back lussmanj.

for those actually interested in healing, imbued healing with the healing domain is better than augmented healing (unless you always wasted the temporaries due to taking too long) imbued healing adds CharLvl temp hit points for an hour to all healing spells. at lvl 20 with RSoP... this means a cure minor gives 1 hp and 30 temps :smalltongue: great for pre-battle buffing as well

chilepepper
2008-12-12, 08:47 AM
I eralize I'm a couple moths late for this question, but last time I checked, the clarification for Vigor + AH was only in the FAQ which makes it not RAW.

According to RAW, the spell Darts of Life creates darts. Those darts in turn cause healing. Since the spell doesn't actually heal damage directly, it is unaffected by AH, just like all the other Conj(Healing) spells that aren't Cure X wounds.

If you are including the FAQ, it says Vigor gets the AH augmentation on the first round. Leaning to RAI, you could argue one of two ways, IMHO. 1. Like Vigor, the first dart gets the healing or 2. Like the 'Mass' spells, all the darts get the healing.