PDA

View Full Version : N+

Gungnir
2008-02-21, 12:03 AM
You should get it. Except for Keris, because I already know he has it, so he doesn't need to pay for it again.

I'm too tired to go into detail about anything, but so far its really fun, but it's starting to kick my ass in Single Player. I really like the Race modes, because it's completely viable to let your opponents zerg rush the mines for you, then breeze on by. Haven't gotten to try Survival yet, there weren't any open games when I tried.

Really, the only complaint I have is that there doesn't seem to be any unlockable ninjas. You just start out with a bunch of different versions. Oh, actually, I also don't like the headband. It doesn't respond right to movement, and it always gets snagged on stuff.

So yeah. Fork over your 800 points.

Keris
2008-02-21, 12:33 AM
I agree entirely. I shouldn't have to pay again. But you should. Pay once that is.
So if you've a 360, download the trial game, and when you like it, get the full one.

I love getting opponents corpse to zerg rush mines. :smallbiggrin: Yay for ragdoll physics!

Icewalker
2008-02-21, 01:35 AM
My only comment about N+ is *hiss booo*

I find it a really weak attempt to expand n, which is from what I can tell (which I admit is only screenshots) way cooler. Better graphics I think detracts from the game's style. There aren't any new enemies, right? No level editor certainly.

I'm guessing from my evidence that I'll continue to prefer the original. Way more and better maps: 400 metanet levels, 100 user-made and metanet tested levels, and uncountable custom levels off Numa.

Although from the way you are talking, it sounds like there is online play in vs. race levels. That sounds interesting. Survival vs. could work too, as simply who dies last. That would be fun, yeah.

Keris
2008-02-21, 02:01 AM
I've no idea about graphics or enemies, having not played N, but there is a level editor.
Online play includes co-op as well (not sure how it works though), and survival is who gets timed out last, dieing taking off about 5 secs.

If you're in doubt, then just try the free version first.

Icewalker
2008-02-21, 02:32 AM
Here (http://www.thewayoftheninja.org/n.html)is the homepage for the original. It is a stylishly simple game, which is one of the reasons I find it so great.

I'm not really interested in N+, as I'd rather just keep using n. Also, here is a link to Numa (http://numa.notdot.net/), which is the level-hosting site. Loads of good maps there, although there has been a lot of crap put up recently.

Also, I don't have anything which runs it, so that stops me as well.

Tom_Violence
2008-02-21, 03:53 AM
Question: Do you have to pay for stuff like this on the ol' Xbox? Or can one download it for zero monies?

Keris
2008-02-21, 06:15 AM
You can download the trial version for free, which does not have as many levels, and then should you want to play the full game, you can pay without re-downloading it.

Gungnir
2008-02-21, 08:26 AM
The graphics are basically the same, really. The ninja can be a lot more colorful, but you can just go flat black if you want (I prefer Skelly myself). There's a backdrop behind the playing field, but I can't even describe it off the top of my head because it doesn't draw your attention. The enemies got an image sidegrade, kinda. I personally like them, but it sounds like you probably wouldn't.
http://www.thewayoftheninja.org/images/gamerpics_pack1.png
The gauss cannon isn't in that, but I like its new targeting thing. It's got three little laser dots that move around kinda randomly until it locks on you. Plus your can actually see the bullets off the chaingun drones, which is nice. There are new hazards, too; that green drone pushes you away if you get close enough to it, and there's electric fences that go on and off in certain intervals. There might be more, but I only had a few minutes to mess around with the editor.

And don't worry, I'm sure there's going to be plenty of map add-ons in the future, either from metanet directly or just by way of featured user episodes.

Drascin
2008-02-21, 09:56 AM
I don't have a 360, but I heard N+ is coming to DS and PSP, too? Then I might get the DS version, when it comes out (or maybe it already has? I've been a bit outta touch lately)

A Rainy Knight
2008-02-21, 08:06 PM
I just downloaded it, and I think it was well worth the 800 points. I'm practically addicted to single-player mode, although some levels are just frustratingly hard. I like the level editor, too.

Icewalker
2008-02-21, 09:05 PM
Ah, so N+ did add new stuff? That'd good, I've often thought about possible additions to n. I don't have the consoles to play it, so I'm not even able to get it anyways, and probably wouldn't, but sounds like they improved some of it.

Also, as to the 3 dot target of the gauss, are they in one place or are they scattered over the screen? If scattered, that is a huge difference.

Gungnir
2008-02-21, 09:08 PM
I don't have a 360, but I heard N+ is coming to DS and PSP, too? Then I might get the DS version, when it comes out (or maybe it already has? I've been a bit outta touch lately)

It is, but they're not out yet. Metanet didn't have the manpower to make all three versions simultaneously, so the DS and PSP versions got handed off to a different company. Don't worry though, they have been overseeing the whole thing to make sure it is the same caliber as everything else.

Ah, so N+ did add new stuff? That'd good, I've often thought about possible additions to n. I don't have the consoles to play it, so I'm not even able to get it anyways, and probably wouldn't, but sounds like they improved some of it.

Also, as to the 3 dot target of the gauss, are they in one place or are they scattered over the screen? If scattered, that is a huge difference.

Don't forget that all three new versions have completely different levels. As for the gauss, the dots are never too far apart, but they get closer together the closer the turret is to locking on you.

Inyssius Tor
2008-03-07, 04:31 PM

I haven't played the game.

That said, things added:

The editor is still in. The gauss cannon lock-on dots look like a very minor change, if an awfully cool one; the green drone and fences sound great, but the real meat: co-op mode. Four player co-op mode, if you want. I hadn't heard of race mode until now, but that sounds cool too--I hadn't heard anything about the headband until now, but it looks like an awesome cosmetic change. Someone who has the game: tell me more!

Things removed: the ability to play other people's custom maps. Seriously, what the fning hell was Microsoft thinking, insisting on that? They had already implemented the feature, for god's sake (according to IGN, which may not be the most reliable source).

It's a shame I don't have an X-BOX 360. Or a DS, or a PSP.

DemonicAngel
2008-03-07, 05:50 PM
N was an amazing game.. too bed I dont have no Xbox nor a DS.
oh well, I'm sure i'm not missing out on anything too big.