PDA

View Full Version : The Order of the Stick: May

Pages : [1] 2

davericsdamsel
2004-05-01, 10:49 PM
Alex got out of bed and changed all our calendars.. surprised he didn't do it here yet.......

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-05-01, 11:18 PM
Forget changing calendars: what about changing comics?

(cmon 63-skadoo)

The Giant
2004-05-01, 11:55 PM
Geez, impatient much? :P

It ain't late until you wake up Saturday morning and it isn't there. And since it IS there now, it's on-time. Belkar vs. Yikyik....FIGHT!

Fantasy
2004-05-01, 11:58 PM
W00t! Way to go Belkar!! I honestly can say I didn't see the last bit coming, but it was a riot. So much for kobold... Belkar is da halfling!

Wanderer
2004-05-02, 12:11 AM
*snickers* Perfect. That's our Belkar, all right. ;D

Veera
2004-05-02, 01:58 AM
Idle question... Am I the only person who imagine's Vaarsuvius' voice to be the same as Marcie's voice from the old Peanuts cartoons? ^_^
Other than that, I feel bad for Yikyik: I thought he was cute!

Yutaka
2004-05-02, 06:18 AM
Veera!!! Now you've made me think about it, that's EXACTLY the right voice for V! Squeeee! ;D Marcie was always the coolest character...
"Don't call me sir!"
Blasted internet isn't loading *.gifs today... I'll need to check this one at the library or summat. Unless today's comic WAS, in fact, a white box with a red x inside?
But I think NOT! [said dramatically]

ATG
2004-05-02, 06:31 AM
Hehe, go Belkar! :)

Tarlonniel
2004-05-02, 07:05 AM
:o

:P

I should've read this one after breakfast...

JD
2004-05-02, 10:07 AM
*Yikyik is dead and Belkar's got a new hat.

*Sabine got away, and Haley wasted an arrow.

*Elan and the Goat is fighting (Elan is slow!)

*Thog and 'talky man' might fight soon.

* V will be up soon and I have no idea whether she killed her evil 'twin'.

* Xykon is probably p*ssed

Tarlonniel
2004-05-02, 10:36 AM
*Elan and the Goat is fighting (Elan is slow!)

Slow? "Stopped" is more like it. Oh, wait, you mean in finishing Nale off. Right. Sorry. ;)

* Xykon is probably p*ssed

Good.

Yutaka
2004-05-02, 11:11 AM
Read it.
What can I say?

Belkar wins!!! Squeeeeee! ;D ;D ;D

And that is a funky hat. That may be one of the better hats I've ever seen.

Grey Watcher
2004-05-02, 12:27 PM
Kudos to Belkar for earning the only difinitive victory (so far) against the Linear Guild! (I'm so far, all Elan's managed to do is annoy Nale, and Sabine got away, while Haley wasted three hours in the process.)

Rhia
2004-05-02, 01:08 PM
Who woulda thought the little guy would have such a decisive victory, especially after the tumbling around each other they did first!

Yay for Belkar!^^

I hope he doesn't keep the hat as a souvenir... ewww!

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-05-02, 10:00 PM
hours

Arrows?

Actually, I think it was more like six: the three she shot that did nothing, then whichever of the pair of arrows that didn't hurt Sabine, then the two arrows she shot at Sabine's back.

And...I really hope that Belkar keeps that hat :) Sorry for the impatience, but you spoiled me by putting Nale v Elan up at 11. ;)

Grey Watcher
2004-05-02, 10:16 PM
Yes, I meant arrows. That's what I get for posting after a night of drunken dancing. And I guess I meant three arrows of greater value than simple, cheap ammunition. (you know, specialty arrows and the like).

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-05-02, 10:43 PM
posting after a night of drunken dancing.

Wanderer
2004-05-02, 11:14 PM
;D Sweeeeeet! Kick his butt Roy! This is just too perfect.

Of course, that leaves Elan facing Thog... Let's see if his dexterity can save him.

Fantasy
2004-05-02, 11:16 PM
Whee! Nale best be quite fleet of foot... Roy about to unload a can o' whoop-ass on him. But I wonder how well Elan will fair with Thog... though I'm certain there a few fighters out there who'd like to have a few choice words with that particular illiterate...

CorwinMacGregor
2004-05-03, 02:21 AM
I seem to have failed my Wisdom check... ???
What exactly has the halfling done to the kobold and why is it s'pose to be funny?

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-05-03, 06:43 AM
Hahaha! Almost as good as Belkar v...the kobold. Roy needs to have that look on his face more often...watching him chase Nale was priceless.

Tarlonniel
2004-05-03, 07:21 AM
Bwa ha ha ha ha ha. Have fun, Roy, you deserve it! ;D

Barby/fighter vs bard? Eep! At least Thog's got a terrible will save, especially since he hasn't raged yet. Time for Hold Person/Hideous Laughter/etc....

Wanderer
2004-05-03, 10:05 AM
I seem to have failed my Wisdom check...
What exactly has the halfling done to the kobold and why is it s'pose to be funny?

It sounds more like you missed something... You do know that there have been updates every day since the fight began, don't you?

Assuming you have read all the strips, then here are the basics (warning! Not for the faint of heart!): Halfling killed the kolbold, cut off the top of his head, and is now wearing the Kobold's head and upper jaw as a hat.

Grey Watcher
2004-05-03, 10:47 AM
It sounds more like you missed something... You do know that there have been updates every day since the fight began, don't you?

Assuming you have read all the strips, then here are the basics (warning! Not for the faint of heart!): Halfling killed the kolbold, cut off the top of his head, and is now wearing the Kobold's head and upper jaw as a hat.

It's all the rage in Paris this year. ;D

Was anyone else surprised that Thog can use a word as complex as "reluctantly"? I mean, I get that it's a joke because that whole sentence is way over Thog's head, but "reluctantly" has to be the crowning jewel. ::)

The Giant
2004-05-03, 10:52 AM
No matter how dumb you are, you can still roll a natural 20 on your Intelligence check. ;)

Grey Watcher
2004-05-03, 10:58 AM
No matter how dumb you are, you can still roll a natural 20 on your Intelligence check. ;)

And you had me thinking that was Out of Character dialogue from the players. ::)

Zherog
2004-05-03, 11:15 AM
My guess is Elan is going to use his bardic music abilities to "charm" Thog. But then again, just about all my guesses have been wrong so far. ;)

Grey Watcher
2004-05-03, 11:20 AM
My guess is Elan is going to use his bardic music abilities to "charm" Thog. But then again, just about all my guesses have been wrong so far. ;)

Then maybe you're about due to be right! :runs out and bets a million GP on Zherog's hypothesis:

Tarlonniel
2004-05-03, 11:35 AM
My guess is Elan is going to use his bardic music abilities to "charm" Thog.

He can't, really, since Fascinate is automatically broken if the subject perceives any obvious threat to him/herself - like the rapier in Elan's hand. I'm hoping Thog get Hideous Laughtered. Funnnnny. ;D

Zherog
2004-05-03, 01:09 PM
He can't, really, since Fascinate is automatically broken if the subject perceives any obvious threat to him/herself - like the rapier in Elan's hand. I'm hoping Thog get Hideous Laughtered. Funnnnny. ;D

Don't interrupt my hypothesizing with silly rules! :P :P :P

Tarlonniel
2004-05-03, 01:58 PM
Maybe Thog won't perceive singy-man and his toothpick as a threat ;)

Zherog
2004-05-03, 02:53 PM
oooh! oooh! Maybe Elan will create an illusion of puppies! ;D

dktsang
2004-05-03, 05:01 PM
How hard would it be for Elan to latch the Girdle onto Thog? ;D

Grey Watcher
2004-05-03, 05:02 PM
oooh! oooh! Maybe Elan will create an illusion of puppies! ;D

I can just picture thog experiencing such a tormenting moral dilemma.

thog smash singy man.

but singy man has puppies.

thog likes puppies.

but, on the other hand, thog must smash singy man...

(it goes on for several hours, while the rest of the linear guild is defeated and long after the illusory puppies are gone)

Rhia
2004-05-03, 05:05 PM
Great strip again! I love the look on Nale's face when he realizes what Roy is saying in the end. ;D

Grey Watcher
2004-05-03, 05:12 PM
How hard would it be for Elan to latch the Girdle onto Thog? ;D

Well, Thog would have one of two reactions. He'd either be fascinated at the new developments in the situation or he'd wax philosophic as his sensitive side comes to bear. Or, he'd just be a dumb angry half-orc female and Elan would be in pretty much the same situation. Or worse, he could be forced to make the Will save of all time against "thog thinks singy-man pretty."

And Rhia, I too enjoyed the reaction take for Nale before the chase begins. Priceless! ;D

Tarlonniel
2004-05-03, 06:03 PM
Or worse, he could be forced to make the Will save of all time against "thog thinks singy-man pretty."

*falls out of chair laughing*

Dolash
2004-05-03, 06:23 PM
Reminds me of Shrek, when Donkey realized he was talking to a female dragon, who seemed to be taking a liking to him.

Nareth
2004-05-03, 06:27 PM
I think Elan will be ok. After all, Belkar and Haley are now free of their opponents. Perfect time for Haley to flank Thog and "Sneak Attack" again :)

dktsang
2004-05-03, 07:24 PM
I think Elan will be ok. After all, Belkar and Haley are now free of their opponents. Perfect time for Haley to flank Thog and "Sneak Attack" again :)

Have we forgotten about Barbarians getting Uncanny Dodge? Thog only took two levels of Fighter, so it's unlikely he's four levels lower than Haley...

Grey Watcher
2004-05-03, 07:25 PM

Nah, makes too much tactical sense for the OotS. I can just picture a transgendered Thog chasing Elan and a berserk Roy chasing Nale until the two finally run into each other. ;D

dktsang
2004-05-03, 07:29 PM
Or worse, he could be forced to make the Will save of all time against "thog thinks singy-man pretty."

Nale does have a Charisma of 18...

Of course, it's never been made clear whether a 'Girdle would change your sexual orientation (or, indeed, your mind at all) in the short-term. Scientifically speaking [sic], the hormones would probably change you in the long-term, but we're counting in rounds, not [ahem] cycles...

Dolash
2004-05-03, 07:36 PM
Ah yes, the scientific principles behind the belt of gender-bending, a most riviting concept ;D.

Grey Watcher
2004-05-03, 08:16 PM
Nale does have a Charisma of 18...

Of course, it's never been made clear whether a 'Girdle would change your sexual orientation (or, indeed, your mind at all) in the short-term. Scientifically speaking [sic], the hormones would probably change you in the long-term, but we're counting in rounds, not [ahem] cycles...

I was going to say that's way more planning than the Giant probably cares to do, but I've already been proven wrong there. :P

SP_Wes
2004-05-03, 09:48 PM
Lo' fellow OoTS fans. Came from Squidi's site awhile back and decided to join now to say that the battles have been great so far, but...

If Thog dies, I'll cry. He's too awesome to die. He is, in the words of Will Farrel, scrumptulicious (sp?). And remember, anyone who refers to someone as talky-man can't be truly evil.

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-05-03, 09:52 PM
Welcome to the boards, mate.

Personally, I would only cry if poor Thog died an ignoble death at the hands of Elan.

Although come to think of it, it is kinda depressing that criminal mastermind Nale could be held off by Elan, of all people.

The Giant
2004-05-03, 11:35 PM
Well, he is a mastermind, just not very powerful in a fair fight. If he can't Sneak Attack, it would be close. After all, he has the same Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution as Elan, because they are identical twins.

Fantasy
2004-05-03, 11:37 PM
Whee! The mage duel wasn't quite what I expected, but I loved it all the same. Best lines in the strip:

Sleep.
Elf.
Oh, right.

The scary wizard on the coast has struck again...

Wanderer
2004-05-03, 11:52 PM
Just out of curiosity, for those of us who don't know anything about this Drizzle character other than his existance... What precisely were those scimitars doing with that green lightning stuff?

The Giant
2004-05-04, 12:12 AM
A spell.

There's nothing to know. The spell thing had nothing to do with the Drizz't character at all. Don't read too much into it, I wanted Zz'dtri to use a spell and draw the scimitars, so that's what happened.

Wanderer
2004-05-04, 12:20 AM
Ooooh. Normally they say the name of the spell when they cast it, which is why I thought it must be something inherent to the scimitars. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

The Giant
2004-05-04, 12:24 AM
Yeah, well, the fact was I couldn't find a spell that looked the way I wanted it to, so I fudged it.

Consider it to be a Silent Spell. ;)

Dolash
2004-05-04, 06:34 AM
(pre-huge-post comment, Thog is most definetly evil, he killed a poor defensive elf girl, for crying out loud. Acts of murder against those underserving should be met with only the most terrible punishments.)

Ok, so so far here's my impression of The Order of the Stick.

I like the comic, and I believe there are two reasons for this overall. One of which are the witty jokes about Dungeoms amd Dragons. The jokes are well-timed, often completely new, and flow well in the comic despite them using meta-game concepts and words. The second reason, seems to be how developed the characters are after what would be called a "Short time" for a webcomic.

My impressions of the individual characters is already well-formed, indeed is was very shortly in to the webcomic. And each seems to have enough interesting character to be more then a two-dimensional stereotype. The same rings mostly true with the Linear guild, who's personalities were either the same as their double (as in the case of the kobold and Belkar) or the opposite (as in the case of Mr. Greenhilt and Thog).

Also, I am intrigued so far as to where the plot is going. You see, many webcomics start off with an introductory situation or villain, and eventually build up to bigger and more powerful situations or villains, until at last the characters go head to head with a main super-villain, who is usually only slowly introduced over the process of their earlier escapades. This Lich does not seem to be especially special in any way, at least not yet, and I am unsure as to wether he will fall in short order and allow the Order to move on to bigger things, or wether he becomes a recurring villain.

The curiosity of this villain also causes me to consider his dungeon. It is immeadietly evident that either A) he has something planned involving the Order and is willing to lose his low-quality troops for it to ensure the Order suspects nothing as it digs deeper down, or B) He is merely old-fashioned and thinks this is how you're supposed to defeat adventurers. If neither of these apply, then why does he not rally his forces and assassile the Order all at once? He could quite easily overwhelm them that way.

Another thing about this dungeon is that it had three elemental shrines, at the end of which were a trio of elemental guardians, whom I must confess I saw no logic in killing besides increasing the risk that the Order would catch on that the guild was evil (they didn't even loot the bodies!), but what is even more curious is that they were there in the first place. For one, judging by their apperance, their choice of words, and their horror at their own agonizing deaths, I believe I can deduce that they are of good alignment. If this is the case, then what did they live off of? Where was their food or water supply? And why didn't the monsters kill them? And heck, what were they even supposed to DO?

Which eventually leads me to my next point, which is on ressurections. Eventually, every gaming group on the face of the planet has used one. What makes me curious is that when the Order escapes - which, I assume, will be by going back the way they came - what will be their ressurecting policy? Some parties have a policy of only reviving PCs, some believe in ressurecting everyone they can possibly find whom they deem worthy, some use the simple spell "augury" to determin wether it is a good idea to revive the person or not. Will the Order have fallen team members? Probably, its' dramatic. Also, they have yet to spoof ressurection in The Order yet, as such it is a prime candidate for jokes.

So when they do wrap up here, it will be an interesting way to judge their alignment loyalty and also their personalities when they discover the Linear Guild left dead innocents in their wake. I imagine Belkar will want to leave them, Elan will have to be told "They're just sleeping" ("Then why is that one made of stone?" "Because sylphs become statues when they sleep"), and I imagin it would be too much for Durkon, unless he has the appropriate restorative spell for petrified persons. However, I would be dissapointed if they were not encountered again, as although they seemed to only serve a one-gag purpose, to prove that the guild is evil and kills people, their role in the whole three elements shrine has greatly aroused my curiosity.

Another curiosity is the creature in the shadows. Obiously he is a most terrible monster the lich will deploy upon his enemies, either to distract them while he escapes, to aid him in combat, or to take on the heroes altogether. But oddly enough, it does not seem to be very brave at heart. I mean, its' scared of the dark, not a good sign. I wonder wether he will even be brave enough to fight the Order? I suspect he is a dragon of some sort, as they are common boss foes, but it is only a guess.

Now, another thing that has perked my interest is the process by which these comics are made. I have assmebled a guess based on art style, but it is only one from a dozen different methods Mr. Giant could make these comics. Perhaps he pencils the characters, inks them, scans them, colours them? That is a common method indeed and allows for efficiency and interesting drawings. The other possible conclusions is that the whole thing is done in an art program, which leads me to believe he has some way of replicating each character and adjusting it for each scene, to assure they continue to look alike panel by panel.

Lastly (yes, this post has an end!) I would like to bring up the point of their character's future growth and expansion. As I said, there are many upcoming scenes which will define them greatly - fighting the hidden monster, hunting down any surviving Linear Guild members, encountering dead innocent people, doing battle with a boss character (lich), division of major spoils, and so forth - and an important part of a good, surviving webcomic is that the characters evolve. If a character doesn' evolve, and remains the same no matter what occurs, often s/he will become stale, and the comic will fall into a rut. So I hope that Mr. Giant will develop the characters outwards from their beginning personalities some time off in the future.

Anyways, that's my assessment. A very good comic indeed.

Matuse
2004-05-04, 07:10 AM
Just goes to show you, that nobody can beat the lawyers.

Great stuff.

Tarlonniel
2004-05-04, 08:28 AM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

And moreover, V rocks.

Edit: I like the black guy (even though he is a l****r). Very much Elan with a J.D. ;)

Grey Watcher
2004-05-04, 10:35 AM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

And moreover, V rocks.

Edit: I like the black guy (even though he is a l****r). Very much Elan with a J.D. ;)

I thought he was hispanic? I mean, Rodriguez? (He is, by the way, one of my favorite characters. The spooooooky wizard!) I wonder if the Giant will make copyright lawyer avatars? (hint hint)

Tarlonniel
2004-05-04, 11:04 AM
I thought he was hispanic? I mean, Rodriguez?

Eh, you humans all look alike to me ;) Actually I didn't remember that he'd been given a name at all, much less a Hispanic one. Rodriguez the spooooky copyright lawyer... hee hee....

The Giant
2004-05-04, 11:12 AM
Phil Rodriguez, esq., is indeed latino. In fact, Tarlonniel, your post totally confused me because I didn't know which character you were talking about, because you blanked out the word "lawyer" too!

Dolash: Thanks for the indepth analysis. For your info, on another thread, I discussed that I make OOTS entirely in Adobe Illustrator, a vector-based art program.

Tarlonniel
2004-05-04, 11:31 AM
Ah ha! My evil plan is succeeding! Having thoroughly confuzzled the Giant, his mind is now vulnerable to the subliminal suggestions within my posts. Soon I will have molded OotS to my will and then - with the power of the Stick behind me - I'll be unstoppable! The comic universe is mine! Bwa ha ha ha ha!

.... Ahem. Y'all didn't see nothin'. Move along now. 8)

JD
2004-05-04, 12:06 PM
"That is the intellectual property of every villian in the history of villians!"

*Looks over the shoulder looking for people in suits, and laughs when he sees two*

*Says spooooooooooky wizard to self and laughs, making everyone in the libary look*

Tarlonniel
2004-05-04, 12:29 PM
They're everywhere....

Grey Watcher
2004-05-04, 12:38 PM
:hides in a corner, as his hairdo has been said to look like Kojack, Kingpin, Uncle Fester, Daddy Warbucks, and Yule Brynner (sp???):

fredryck
2004-05-04, 12:40 PM
haha... just finished catching up on all of the archives... Funny stuff...

I can't wait to see more... OotS rules!

;D

Orion
2004-05-04, 01:03 PM
Yes, I agree that 'thog' is a pretty cool character, but he is with a 'not cool' group...

So far, the fight scenes are great! (Deny the psychopathic egomaniac!)

But I myself was beginning to like Yikyik - and then seeing his head used as a hat brought an even more liking to him - he makes a better hat than a character <grin> ;)

Great job Giant!

Dolash
2004-05-04, 03:02 PM
As this seems to be a thread of general discussion of the "Order of the Stick", I think I will bring up a specific topic which seems to have a measure of populairty right now: Thog, who appears to be either a goblin, orc, or half orc, and the rest of his race.

So far, as I gather, in The Giants' realm, these races and all their members are unfallibly evil. As we saw with the Elemental Guardian's killing, not to mention Thog's general violent tendencies in his actions and his evil choice of company, even those of the general species-group that rise above the common masses in skill and aquire a character class are unable to avoid the trappings of their race-assigned alignment. In Lord Of The Rings, Orcs were the descendants of tortured elves who had become twisted and evil, but it appears the orcs here are in general what I would describe as "sedentry evil", an odd choice of alignment.

You see, Sedentry Evil is a subgroup of Neutral Evil that means that its' members are evil, but they appear to do little in the way of spreading evil, or even acting evil. Evil is more a trait that is rarely exercised except when nessecary to prove that they are not good. My supporting evidence is the 401k plan they were looking for in such a polite manner, and how they politely listened to V's long speech about his powers.

Now, obviously this race is quite plentiful, as it is constantly hurled at the enemy without much regard to casualties. In fact, their absoloutly insanely bad tactics lead me to believe that perhaps the Lich is using them to push The Order in a particular direction, because if he wanted to kill them he could have sent all of his forces at them at once and overwhelemed them.

Thog, however, seems special. For one, he is not a member of the hord that seems to fill the Lich's keep, so it suggests he was either such a good warrior that he did not need to be there, or was somehow abandoned or driven off, or perhaps just got lost, and ended up gaining proficiency in barbarienism and fighting on his own. Now, it appears that this has done wonders for his fighting skill, and his complexion, which makes me curious as to the nature of the training program currently in place for goblinoids under the Lich's banner.

Even Thog, though, shares his race's famed low intellect, but I find the nature of it most unusual. Thog has "traditional stupidity" in that he is not smart enough to understand anything besides the simplest two-step physical processes, however his greener kin seem to be far more developed in mental capabilities, despite their lack of fighting skills, then the Goblinoid Stereotype suggests. They actually understood the concept of a 401k plan, when they heard the party approach due to clanking armour (assuming it was more goblins up ahead) they spoke with surprising skill, despite (insert local language here) probably not being their first language.

Now, to explain how they could possess such intellect and yet still be foolish enough to all-but hurl themselves on their foes' swords, has led me to conclude that it is infact their wisdom scores, not their intelligence, that has suffered a hit. Looking back on the 401k incident, you see the goblins were still willing to consider it an option, even afte seeing what happened to the ogres. Also, the trap they set, while brilliant in design, was clearly not a wise contraption as it failed to kill the target.

So it seems there is more to Orcs and their kin then meets the eye. I suspect that Thog must be either a half-breed, or he must have been raised by some stupider race, perhaps the ogres. Thog's attraction to puppies (something distinctly lacking in the Lich's castle) and his fellows' seeming indifference to them (we've seen an entire army's worth of them so far and not one of them had a puppy) seems to suggest his tastes are different then those of the others.

In a later analysis, I may examine the relations between the different castles' denezines, but for now I think it is suffice to say that the Goblinoid races are dominant, by far. A goblinoid serves as the lich's right-hand man, and they seem to infest the entire castle in large numbers. I can only conclude that this is because the other races are their servants or mercenaries. This is ever so slightly surprising, to me, because I assumed a lich would have undead as his servants, but I guess he works off the principle that sooner or later his army will have all died, and then he can raise then as undead - getting double use out of each of his soldiers.

Finally, now that we have established that the Goblins must be the primary armed servants of the Lich, there are only two things left to think about. One of which is the "terrorizing" of the countryside they apparently indulge in. It has - as yet - not been established who rules the region surrounding the Lich's castle, the size of the population in the region, their races, and the like. Also, I am curious as to the women of the goblins, and the children. Assuming they do not just grow out of the ground, there must be many villages of goblin civilians around to explain where these armed forces came from.

I suspect that once the party has left the dungeon, we will see a certain amount of interaction with towns, villages, and their denizins. I hope Mr. Giant will not take the overly-used route of putting the region under the rule of an unbelievably stupid king, but besides that I have yet to make any guesses on the nature of the local kingdom. However, I can guess their army must be horribly tiny (and thus, probably their population) as the mighty armies of the Lich King appear to be only a bare few hundred at most, and any sizeable country could storm such a castle with little effort.

Anyways, that's enough of that for now.

Orion
2004-05-04, 03:17 PM
*points to the post above his*

Me thinks somebody's analyzing OotS far more than the creator does... ;) :D

The Giant
2004-05-04, 03:51 PM
Back when Babylon 5 was on the air, whenever a fan would stop Joe Stracyznski (creator and writer for the show) and ask him how fast a Starfury could go, he would answer, "They travel at the speed of plot." Meaning, they went as fast or as slow as was required by the scene he was writing, and other than that he didn't worry about it.

A lot of things in OotS travel at the speed of plot. :P

Wanderer
2004-05-04, 03:52 PM
...You know, Dolash, analysis is good and all. Everyone does it, to a certain extent. But when you do it to that degree, all at once, all you're effectively doing is drowning your audience. I can't even read that whole post. I try, and I can't. There's too much, all at once.

Also, despite all that talking and in-depth analysis... you didn't seem to actually make a point. You were just... talking. About goblinoids.

Can I PLEASE request that you tone those posts down? I'm always interested in seeing what people think of this stuff, but if there's so much that I can't even read it, that defeats the point.

Orion
2004-05-04, 04:00 PM
I agree with wanderer - I'm basically a lurker here - and I also frequent other forums... and not to sound rude to you, Dolash, but it's posts like that that can really kill a topic :)

Dolash
2004-05-04, 04:03 PM
Hm. Well, although I find your stance kind of odd (I thought message boards were all about talking about things?) I will respect them, and cut down my analysis to step-by-step posts, each one containing only a fraction of the overall subject, and then space them out over a reasonable period of time.

Is that more acceptable?

Orion
2004-05-04, 04:24 PM
LOL

Probably so...

Post one part of your analysis, we'll discuss that - then move on to the next part...

!!! Or better yet! Start your own thread about it! ;)

Dolash
2004-05-04, 04:24 PM
Oh, and I aknowledge Mr. Giant where he says that things move "At the speed of plot", but in my experience message boards are a most excellent place for discussing the characters, races, and in general the details of the setting which the story takes place within. If the author travels said forums - all the better!

In fact, if I may make a most humble suggestion, the Kenzerco boards have an "Idea Forum" where readers may discuss possible ideas for future strips, plot twists, or dream up their own tales. Sometimes the Kenzerco Staff skim those pages for ideas and inspiration for their comic, and the posters enjoy it greatly as an idea to "What if?" and "I wonder" the day away. The same would be most enjoyable here.

The Giant
2004-05-04, 04:56 PM
That won't happen here. I don't take suggestions for the strip. I'm actually the kind of person where if I see someone suggest a plot or bit of dialogue, I specifically will never want to use it. Maybe that makes me a control freak, but there you have it. :P ;)

However, I second the idea of spinning your thoughts onto their own thread. This thread is kind of the "quick response to the latest comic" thread. Your thoughts might be better received on their own. Plus, I think in general that more threads on narrower topics makes it easier for posters to navigate the board and see what they want to talk about.

Dolash
2004-05-04, 05:12 PM
Ah, point taken. Too bad about the idea thing, but oh well, its' not an idea everyone likes anyways.

RawBearNYC
2004-05-04, 06:28 PM
Maybe that makes me a control freak, but there you have it. :P ;)

That's not what makes you a control freak. ::Hey, who didn't see that coming?::

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-05-04, 09:07 PM
Haha! I was wondering about the lawyers before, actually: since NOTHING in that pit was updated, shouldn't they be hauling off every single monster in there?

Woot, page 6 is mine!

Orion
2004-05-04, 09:14 PM
Not anymore, since I'm posting here too ;D :P

---

And since I'm somewhat new to the D&D community - can somebody explain the whole "Zz'dtri getting hauled off by the lawyers" part... I want to know what he's taken from :)

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-05-04, 09:46 PM
Not anymore, since I'm posting here too ;D :P

---

And since I'm somewhat new to the D&D community - can somebody explain the whole "Zz'dtri getting hauled off by the lawyers" part... I want to know what he's taken from :)

1. Yes, but I was here first. Ergo, as lord of this fief, I demand a tithe~ Your sigpic is awesome, however...knave.

2. Zz'dtri is a parody of this dark elf ranger guy named Drizz't who is, as I understand it, the uber-menshe which every elven munchkin aspires to.

Wanderer
2004-05-04, 09:47 PM
He'd be stolen from the character of Drizzt Do-something-or-other. One of the named NPCs in the Forgotten Realms universe, also a character in some books by R.A. Salvadore. Drizzt is a drow-elf exile of some kind, apparantly known for random angst and for having issues with the popular preconceptions of his people. I guess he also carried scimitars.

Gorbash Kazdar
2004-05-04, 09:52 PM
He's a knock off of Drizzt Do'Urden, a character from R.A. Salvatore's Forgotten Realms novels.

Drizzt is a dual scimitar wielding ranger/barbarian/fighter/etc. Chaotic Good Drow. The description Nale gives describing how Drow become a PC race is a fairly accurate rundown of the character background.

A lot of long time D&D players don't like Drizzt because a very large number of new players - especially those of the munchkin persuasion (ie. like to play uber-powerful characters) - simply created Drizzt clones, requiring fairly little though or creativity. A sizable group in the community think many of Salvatore's characters are overpowered, which doesn't help the Realms, already the home of a number of uber-ish NPCs like Elminster, adding the the dislike of Drizzt.

Zz'dtri is an example of the sort of Drizzt-clone that can really get people going - he's not even the same class, but he still has the same characteristics and signature weapons, and his name is just a respelling of Drizzt.

Of course, a lot of people really like Salvatore's novels and Drizzt as a character - but most of them still find Drizzt clones annoying, since they're just cheap knock-offs.

Lilly
2004-05-05, 12:26 AM
Reading the strip today I noticed... it's developed irony, not the alanis moressite kind either. Good solid literary irony.

Wanderer
2004-05-05, 12:31 AM
"Thog thinks pretty girls are icky!" ;D

Perfect! This is not at all what I was expecting. I love it!

ndragonsbane
2004-05-05, 12:49 AM
Hehe, "Thog not want girl cooties..."

Now all that's left is Nale and Sir Greenhilt, I can't wait for that crazy action.

Ravenproject
2004-05-05, 04:28 AM
That won't happen here. I don't take suggestions for the strip. I'm actually the kind of person where if I see someone suggest a plot or bit of dialogue, I specifically will never want to use it. Maybe that makes me a control freak, but there you have it. :P ;)
And that's exactly what I love about the Giant. So, by analyzing the strip, in fact, people are destroying possible story developements (in future strips because the Giant is far ahead) and that's why I truly and wholeheartly dislike people analyzing OotS.

Simply read it, enjoy it tell the Giant you love it and then move along. It can't be that hard, can it?

PS.: However, the Giant is not a control freak because everyone can control him by suggesting plots, which in turn will never be used by him. ;)

Dolash
2004-05-05, 06:08 AM
And that's exactly what I love about the Giant. So, by analyzing the strip, in fact, people are destroying possible story developements (in future strips because the Giant is far ahead) and that's why I truly and wholeheartly dislike people analyzing OotS.

Simply read it, enjoy it tell the Giant you love it and then move along. It can't be that hard, can it?

PS.: However, the Giant is not a control freak because everyone can control him by suggesting plots, which in turn will never be used by him. ;)

I must say, Mr. RP, that your comments are almost hurtful. I ENJOY analysing things. I don't care wether my analysis is even vaguely accurate or not, or anything like that, but breaking down settings and characters into traits is something I enjoy doing. And since I enjoy doing it, and its' not exactly bringing harm or crowding up the message board, I think the polite thing to do is to not dislike people who think like this.

Now, if I went around bothering individuals with my theories or demanding Mr. Giant change a part of his comic because that shouldn't happen due to (insert some theory or piece of dialogue here) then that'd be wrong, but I'm not.

Message boards are not just a place to go "I like the comic" and leave, they are a place of discussion ABOUT the comic, and sometimes you get people who are going to look really closely at it, so if they're not bothering you leave them alone.

Oh, and girl cooties was a great line. What will become of Thog now, I wonder.

fredryck
2004-05-05, 06:43 AM
hehehe.... I like girl cooties...

perhaps Thog will be reformed :)

Veera
2004-05-05, 07:32 AM
Eek! Grammar police!
'abyssmal' is spelled 'abysmal,' only one 's.' ^_^;

Great comic though! Thog is beginning to remind me of a particular character in my campaign...

Tarlonniel
2004-05-05, 08:07 AM
Victory!! Well, almost. Can't wait for tomorrow to find out Nale's fate. ;D But then they have to vamoose, which could be tough with the bridge broken and monsters everywhere. Plus there's Durkon. Please wake up, m'lad! :-/

JD
2004-05-05, 08:47 AM
I think that Dolas does analyze things a bit too much, but I enjoy reading them, mostly because I have cut up so many movies that way (How could they miss him with a NUKE?). But yes I think that you're doing it a bit too much.

Thog must join OotS he is way cooler than any other character (except Belkar) and I can't wait to see what happens to him.

Don't make a strip starting with "Thog - RIP < Not" that last part by Belkar, replace Thog with say..... V nah just kidding, replace it with "Goblin encounter #98".

ndragonsbane
2004-05-05, 09:28 AM
Nothing wrong with analysis (or over-analysis if you will) of a strip. Analyzing doesn't necessarily mean he's predicting a lot; I've seen more predictions by other posters that were just out and out predictions, and they "destroy possible story developments" just as much or more than Dolash's analyses. If he likes posting analyses, and he does it in appropriate places, why harrang(sp?) him about it? Better to have one more person's opinions on the matter I say.

Orion
2004-05-05, 10:46 AM
Once again - not to be rude - but if you don't want to read his analysis - avoid the thread! Pure and simple ;)

I enjoy reading analysis' like that, and I find it interesting how other people interpret the story. I personally just read OotS for the pure comedy and graphic wonderment it provides ;) Oh, and this little thing called Dungeons and Dragons :D

SQUEEE!!! I couldn't have page 6, so 7's ALL MINE! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Tarlonniel
2004-05-05, 12:17 PM
Hmmm, in panel 9 there appears to be a mysterious hand reaching through the ice wall to grab Thog's axehandle. :o

The Giant
2004-05-05, 12:20 PM
Whoops! Actually, that's Elan's other hand from panel 10. I'll fix that when i get home tonight.

Nareth
2004-05-05, 12:26 PM
I think Vaarsuvius is now in possession of the most powerful spell in the universe...Summon Lawyer. What evil (or not so evil) being could stand against them?

As for today's strip...it makes me wonder what might have happened had Elan brought up the image of the puppies. "Girl cooties" is going to become another catch phrase in our campaign, I just know it. We've got several from this comic alone now :)

Calyn
2004-05-05, 12:38 PM
Somehow, I get the feeling that Elan's puppy comment was as much for us here on the boards as it was just humor in general. :)

And it was great, I must add.

GM_Zork
2004-05-05, 12:40 PM
"Girl cooties" is going to become another catch phrase in our campaign, I just know it. We've got several from this comic alone now :)

Our group too...

"Haste?" "Sucks now."
"He totally provoked me! He left my threatened area!"
"Wooohooo! You can't see me!"
"Geeze, grow a Sense Motive."
"Bwaaha! I have deep-seated emotional problems! Die die die!"

fredryck
2004-05-05, 12:45 PM
Plus Thog had that whole incident where he was talking about liking puppies... I think it was #51...

Thog like puppies

Thog like ice cream too

Grey Watcher
2004-05-05, 12:55 PM
Wow, he likes puppies and thinks girls have cooties. Thog is the cutest bloodthirsty half-orc barbarian ever! ;D

Orion
2004-05-05, 01:52 PM
And that 'toofy' grin he has just adds more to the charm, eh? ;D ;)

Dolash
2004-05-05, 02:46 PM
I find his reaction to the female illusion odd. At about the same time he was thinking about puppies, he also killed a girl, and showed no worries about getting blood or cooties on him. Perhaps cooties is a legitimate disease of the orcs/half orcs? Perhaps he only feels awkward around females of the same race-

I'm over analysing again, arn't I? It was a very funny comic, and I look forwards to seeing what they do with Thog.

Ah, much better.

Orion
2004-05-05, 02:59 PM
Hehe - at least you weren't alone in your thinkings THIS time Dolash ;)

I too, was wondering if there actually was a 'cooties' disease for orcs/half-orcs...

And this would also explain his 'un-attraction' to Haley... Stupid barbarian ;D

JD
2004-05-05, 03:46 PM
Thog is the best character, thats final. He's stupid, childish, and come on only Elans "I guess he rolled his Sense Motive" in #4 beats Thogs "Girl cooties"

Dolash
2004-05-05, 04:16 PM
Although I'm sure some consider him "The best" I don't see him entering The Order. He killed an innocent person, remember? Once you've done that, there's a serious amount of repenting to do before you can change alignments, and I just can't imagine someone too stupid to know what "repenting" means to get to it.

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-05-05, 04:58 PM
Although I'm sure some consider him "The best" I don't see him entering The Order. He killed an innocent person, remember? Once you've done that, there's a serious amount of repenting to do before you can change alignments, and I just can't imagine someone too stupid to know what "repenting" means to get to it.

If they can accept Belkar, with his "Well, I just figured we'd wander around, kill some sentient creatures because they had green skin and fangs and we don't, and then take their stuff", I don't see why they'd mind Thog joining them (except for the fact that he betrayed them, that is). Especially considering that Roy doesn't seem to realize Thog killed the guardian, and if Durkan casts Detect Evil he'll probably be overwhelmed by Belkar's aura, anyway.

Besides, Thog - what with his abysmal Int and Wis scores - probably considered the elf a legitimate threat, anyway, which could be grounds for him being neutral. I don't remember if alignment in D&D is measured cognitively or behaviorally, but the fact that animals, even the violent ones, are considered neutral helps Thog's case.

Dolash
2004-05-05, 05:17 PM
Although I feel fairly confident that Thog is evil, even if he isn't his inclusion into the Order will not occur, and would not occur, especially considering Belkar is not a good comparison.

You see, Belkar has yet to actually kill or bring harm to any innocent people, while Thog has. The Order are sure to find at least one of the bodies when they exit the castle, and Roy is fairly intelligent and should be able to make the connection between hearing voices, finding elf-girl-cut-in-half, and Thog. Failing all of that, I still believe that Thog would not mesh well with the group if he would kill anyone he comes across simply on the grounds that they have yet to be clearly described as his ally using small words.

RawBearNYC
2004-05-05, 05:44 PM
The Order are sure to find at least one of the bodies when they exit the castle,

I don't wanna say more, for fear of cutting off a potential plot mechanism for the Giant by guessing, but this is a large leap of logic. It is not guaranteed that they will find one of the three bodies. I've already thought of at least 3 ways that that might not happen.

Dolash
2004-05-05, 06:43 PM
Oh yeah, if we talk about it it won't happen.

Better change topic. Ok, so with Thog gone that just leaves Nale, right? One guildmember is dead, another is probably dead (in amongst the monsters) one ran away, one was dragged away, one is captured, and soon we'll see Nale's fate.

I'm not sure this is the end of the guild. They could just ressurect their lost members, or recruit new ones, once they regroup. And Nale in particular seems too important a character to be killed off so easily.

Rodrick_the_Red
2004-05-05, 07:03 PM
Hi All,

I just wanted to say a BIG THANK YOU to the Gaint for a marvelous comic. Looking forward to the rest.

Rodrick the Red

Bogotter
2004-05-05, 07:22 PM
Heehee....can we all call him the Gaint from now on?

Sounds like some sort of disease like "I've got a wicked case of the Gaint!"

Ohhh no....don't go there......they've got the Gaint in the Playground!!!

<cough>

sorry

Rodrick_the_Red
2004-05-05, 07:41 PM
Hay! I can't help being speeling ??? impaired. Maybe if I ask nice the GIANT ;D will add speel check. ;)

Rodrick the Red

(No wonder I can only find the site about half the time..)

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-05-05, 09:53 PM
Although I feel fairly confident that Thog is evil, even if he isn't his inclusion into the Order will not occur, and would not occur, especially considering Belkar is not a good comparison.

You see, Belkar has yet to actually kill or bring harm to any innocent people, while Thog has. The Order are sure to find at least one of the bodies when they exit the castle, and Roy is fairly intelligent and should be able to make the connection between hearing voices, finding elf-girl-cut-in-half, and Thog. Failing all of that, I still believe that Thog would not mesh well with the group if he would kill anyone he comes across simply on the grounds that they have yet to be clearly described as his ally using small words.

Very true.

Grey Watcher
2004-05-05, 10:38 PM
Who said anything about him joining the OotS? I just think he's a brilliantly written moron. ;D

Matuse
2004-05-05, 10:39 PM
Vaarsuvius lied...he had a teleport spell still ready to go.

How else did he pop onto the other side of Thog so quickly?

Gotta watch those sneaky elveseseses.

The Giant
2004-05-05, 11:31 PM
You know, when I drew that panel, I said, "Hmm, He's kind of crossing the whole scene here to deliver that line in order. Ah well, no one's going to care." :P

The last strip of the seven day Battle Royale is up now.

GM_Zork
2004-05-06, 12:01 AM
OK, I'm officially hooked.

How much do we have to bribe you in Paypal donations, etc, to get you to do more frequent updates? The last week has been too good!! :)

The Giant
2004-05-06, 12:03 AM
You'd pretty much have to match my existing salary as a graphic designer. :P

Seriously, this week kicked the crap out of me. It was kind of fun, but too crazy. I haven't done anything all week but work and making OOTS! I'm burned out.

Tarlonniel
2004-05-06, 12:23 AM
A cliffhanger, both literary and literally! Wow! Can't wait until tomorrow when... wait, we're back to twice-a-week, aren't we? Ah well.

You definitely deserve some rest, Giant. Thanks a 10^23 for all the hard work you do to brighten our Mondays/Thursdays so much :-*

Wanderer
2004-05-06, 12:43 AM
In the immortal words of Belkar, "Sweeeet!" ;D Although I must admit I would have preferred to see Roy beat the ever-loving crap out of Nale, but this certainly works too. ;)

Oh... And YES! Thanks muchly for the effort you put into making daily updates for this battle. Just speaking for me personally, it's been a great way to offset the terrible pressure of final exams that I've been under. Although, staying up past midnight constantly hitting Refresh may not have done me much good... ;D

Dolash
2004-05-06, 05:52 AM
Mr. Giant sure has put a lot of work into the comic to produce so many comics in such a short time without any loss of quality, and I applaud him.

And as for Nale, finish him! The traitorus cur's probably killed many innocent people over the years, and won't rest until he gets his revenge. Best to make sure he's completely dead and un-ressurectable.

fredryck
2004-05-06, 06:30 AM
hehe.... Karma-riffic ;D

Piratecat
2004-05-06, 06:54 AM
My wife dreamed last night that Belkar was running around with his little kobold hat. Then someone said "Didn't that kobold have some troll blood?" and there's a halfling-sized scream from off-panel.

Nice work. This week has been great!

JD
2004-05-06, 10:17 AM
I'll steal this site from you ;) and say that Nale and Elan (Hey I just got it), must have a lot of fun using that +12 jump, that explains how Elan came over that pit easier than anyone else in #4

SimonMoon5
2004-05-06, 10:45 AM
One drawback to the minimalist art:

When Roy complained that he couldn't jump wearing all that armor, I was thinking, "Armor? He's just wearing a blue shirt with metal shoulderpads." :)

And, hey, no fair: Elan already defeated Thog, and now he's going to get to decide whether Nale lives or dies. Nobody else got to beat more than one opponent... Oh, but Elan'll prob'ly screw it up though.

RawBearNYC
2004-05-06, 10:47 AM
When Roy complained that he couldn't jump wearing all that armor, I was thinking, "Armor? He's just wearing a blue shirt with metal shoulderpads." :)
Do you have any idea what the armor check penalty is on metal shoulderpads?!?

Tarlonniel
2004-05-06, 10:56 AM
And, hey, no fair: Elan already defeated Thog, and now he's going to get to decide whether Nale lives or dies.

That's 'cuz Elan rocks ;D But seriously, Nale is his twin brother, and Nale did stab him in the back, and Nale was his original opponent before Thog stepped in - makes sense that Elan should be the one to decide Nale's fate.

Grey Watcher
2004-05-06, 12:26 PM
And as for Nale, finish him! The traitorus cur's probably killed many innocent people over the years, and won't rest until he gets his revenge. Best to make sure he's completely dead and un-ressurectable.

True, but I think Elan's a bit too idealistic/naieve to (deliberately) let Nale fall to his death.

Calyn
2004-05-06, 01:19 PM
I think my favorite part was Elan's expression when he said "Karma-riffic!"

fredryck
2004-05-06, 01:40 PM
hehe... I'll repeat

KARMA-RIFFIC ;D

lol... It still cracks me up...

JD
2004-05-06, 05:03 PM
Thanks Giant for all these funny comics every day.

I think that if Elan tries to pick up Nale he'll drop him into the pit, because he was trying to do the opposite....

dktsang
2004-05-06, 07:31 PM

Belkar is mot likely evil, too...
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=11

Nareth
2004-05-07, 10:53 AM
I logged on this morning and realized that we're back to the twice per week schedule....and I'm on vacation next week with no web access....I have to wait an entire extra week to find out what happens next!!!

::SHUDDER:: I can feel the withdrawl starting already!!!

Giant, outstanding job with the daily strips. I was laughing that entire time. :)

Zherog
2004-05-07, 10:54 AM
ACK! I'm suffering withdrawl symptoms today! :-/

edit: wow! talk about timing! ::)

JD
2004-05-07, 10:59 AM
I just opened my Internet Explorer and headed to this site to find out how well my vision would turn out, and now I'm depressed :'(

Grey Watcher
2004-05-07, 12:11 PM
:sigh: No more daily OotS. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to pay more attention to my boyfriend now.... ::)

JD
2004-05-07, 02:55 PM
:sigh: No more daily OotS. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to pay more attention to my boyfriend now.... ::)
Thats the downside of these boards, I can't sense sarcasm just as easy, so I'll ask a question no one asks someone in RL: "Are you gay or joking?"

Caleb
2004-05-07, 03:16 PM
I would think GW is a girl.

dktsang
2004-05-07, 04:09 PM
I would think GW is a girl.
The "Gender:" entry would indicate otherwise.

Not that it really matters; paying more attention to one's SO (almost) always seems like a good idea...

JD
2004-05-07, 04:13 PM
What special someone? Oh you mean my Pentium IV? No? Then I'm lost.......

Oh yeah karma-riffic

Grey Watcher
2004-05-08, 06:53 PM
Thats the downside of these boards, I can't sense sarcasm just as easy, so I'll ask a question no one asks someone in RL: "Are you gay or joking?"

Would you believe both? ;D

I am gay, but I don't have a boyfriend... yet. There's someone I'm seeing, but I don't yet know how far that's going.

:eyes all the new moderators:

Ahem! Yes, well, as fascinating as my romance life is, let's get back to the Order.

Apart from joining in the expressions of withdrawal, I can think of nothing constructive to add.

Bogotter
2004-05-08, 07:13 PM
Ahem! Yes, well, as fascinating as my romance life is, let's get back to the Order.

Yes, let's. ::)

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-05-09, 12:09 AM
I feel so bad for poor Belkar with his tiny daggers...is he going to get some new weapons soon?

Gorbash Kazdar
2004-05-09, 01:31 AM
I feel so bad for poor Belkar with his tiny daggers...is he going to get some new weapons soon?

Given his newly acquired headgear, I'd say he's doing quite fine with them. ;)

JD
2004-05-09, 10:57 AM
Seriously do you think he used his daggers for that? I think he used his hands (re-read it and read the sounds!).

Karma-riffic GW

P.s. I'll use that expression to everything from now on, man those people in the supermarket looked.

Dolash
2004-05-09, 11:38 AM
On what days does the Giant usually update? Mondays and Fridays? Tuesdays and Thursdays? Or is there no specific day, he just makes sure to make a comic at least twice a week?

The Giant
2004-05-09, 01:37 PM
Try going to the Comics page, starting at the very top and reading down. :P

Dolash
2004-05-09, 09:20 PM
...Oh. Ok then.

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-05-09, 09:23 PM
Seriously do you think he used his daggers for that? I think he used his hands (re-read it and read the sounds!).

The "scheeets" look to me like he was dragging the daggers...like, nails on a chalkboard except instead of nails they were daggers, and instead of a chalkboard, it was kobold skin. And anyway, if he had used his hands...o.O I don't think Belkar's that strong.

But either way, the kid could use some new weaponry.

Gorbash Kazdar
2004-05-09, 11:21 PM
Well, he can pick up at least one larger sword off Yikyik, but perhaps he has an attachment to those daggers? Or maybe they're enchanted just the way he likes 'em. ;)

I wonder what the Order will do with Thog, since he surrendered?

Just noticed this was discussed before, sorry!

Fantasy
2004-05-09, 11:50 PM
Whee... I love the new strip. I never really about Law and Chaos, with the whole conscience shoulder buddies thing, but it was quite amusing. But.... BLAST, still have to wait to see Nale's fate. I'm all for him falling, but that's me...

WampaX
2004-05-09, 11:57 PM
So, Giant, you've been getting those Slaad Spam e-mails, too. ;D

dktsang
2004-05-10, 12:00 AM
Well, he can pick up at least one larger sword off Yikyik, but perhaps he has an attachment to those daggers? Or maybe they're enchanted just the way he likes 'em. ;)

Maybe he took Weapon Focus and Improved Critical: Dagger, or somesuch? I wonder what his (3?) favored enemies are, as well.

The characters are probably all 9th level or higher (even Elan?), given the number of MMs V got off. So Belkar definitely qualifies for IC in terms of BAB.

(wait, that would mean Elan qualifies for at least 3rd level spells, right? 2nd, 4th, 7th, 10th... and we know he has an 18 Charisma)

When do we get to see character sheets, Giant? ;D

Michael
2004-05-10, 12:01 AM
The new comic is great. I really like the panel where the evil has a sword through its chest to illustrate it's point.

Plus of course, I like the whole "Order/Chaos" thing. I never really thought about it before, but if good and evil have their own shoulder angels, why not lawful and chaotic?

WampaX
2004-05-10, 12:09 AM
Was the Modron trying to express something?
When you convert its text (using ACSII) you get well ordered gibberish . . . maybe it has a different decoding structure . . .

Well, for now, "•Ek" . . . a concept to live an ordered life by.

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-05-10, 06:29 AM
Why does Elan get a unibrow whenever he gets annoyed? ???

fredryck
2004-05-10, 06:30 AM
~Law

There are 10 types of people in the world...
Those that understand binary and those that don't!

~Chaos

Green poodles link happy dagger bunnies :)

lol

Dolash
2004-05-10, 08:08 AM
Oh gods that was great. Elan is just the sort of guy who'd try and consult other shoulder spirits for a third and fourth opinion.

And the "If you let Nale die mommy will cry" was great too. ;D

Tarlonniel
2004-05-10, 08:39 AM
Loved it!!! Still laughing over the chaos angel.... :D

Grey Watcher
2004-05-10, 08:44 AM
When do we get to see character sheets, Giant? ;D

Speaking as one who made an entire thread asking this question, the answer was a firm "never". The Giant hasn't even built character sheets for the Order. Has something to do with literary liscense and keeping the Order of the Stick at just the right level of (in)competence to deal with the situation in a suitably hilarious manner.

Personally, I assumed, judging by their initial reactions to one another that kobolds were Belkar's primary favored enemy and halfings were Yikyik's primary favored enemy.

Orion
2004-05-10, 10:06 AM
OT -

*pokes Grey_Watcher*

Split, is that you? ;)

If not, ignore the poke! ;D

--

But Yeah, Giant did say "no sheets"...

Grey Watcher
2004-05-10, 12:50 PM
When you convert its text (using ACSII) you get well ordered gibberish . . . maybe it has a different decoding structure . . .

Maybe that's part of the point? It's not as if the "Chaos Conscience" says anything that makes any sense.

Onion, you should know better than to poke people. :kidnaps Chester and runs to the Sierra boards with his new hostage:

I hope you all don't mind if I wax (moderately) serious for a moment. Personally, I found the Good Conscience's arguments to be a bit... weaker than the Evil one's. I mean, I would have expected him to extoll the virtues of mercy, turning the other cheek, and forgiveness. I guess I never really cared for the whole "anything-anyone-ever-does-is-always-justified-because-of-their-background" argument. To me, it seems less intelligent, and not really germaine to the discussion. After all, if the "devil" is telliing Elan to take revenge for the wrongs done to him by Nale, I would imagine the counter-argument would be that, on the contrary, Elan should rise above such behavior. After all, the moment is about what Elan should do, not how justified or responsible Nale was for his actions.

Though I loved the line about guilt being a major weapon in Good's arsenal. Pity the devil hadn't the wit to counter with "you'll surely regret later that you spared him now".

Shanna
2004-05-10, 01:14 PM
I can see keeping the Slaad around, but please, please tell me they didn't keep Modrons around for 3e....

They populated Nerd Monster Central in Castle Greyhawk as well, as I recall. In my opinon, they're the only creature at which Flumphs can laugh for being uncool.

Calyn
2004-05-10, 01:19 PM
Stll chuckling about this, and I read the comic like an hour ago...

;D

Tarlonniel
2004-05-10, 01:23 PM
Turquoise bicycle shoe fins actualize radishes greenly!

I love that line.... I vow to someday find a context in which it makes sense...

The Giant
2004-05-10, 01:30 PM
I can see keeping the Slaad around, but please, please tell me they didn't keep Modrons around for 3e....

They populated Nerd Monster Central in Castle Greyhawk as well, as I recall. In my opinon, they're the only creature at which Flumphs can laugh for being uncool.

Ffft. As far as I am concerned, Modrons are the only true inhabitants of Mechanus. They are deeply cool by virtue of their kitschiness. They make perfect sense, too, in their weird mechanical clunkiness as representatives of Order.

Viva la Modrons!

Dolash
2004-05-10, 01:34 PM
Whats' a Modron?

The Giant
2004-05-10, 01:41 PM
Modrons are quasi-mechanical outsiders from the Lawful Neutral plane of Mechanus under the 2e/Planescape cosmology. They've been marginalized in 3E--appearing only as a web enhancement and a brief footnote in the Manual of the Planes--in favor of the Formians.

Here's a link to their 2e description, complete with some pictures:
http://www.angelfire.com/games2/labyrinth/book/PSMS/psms8.html

GM_Zork
2004-05-10, 02:36 PM
They were cool in the computer RPG "Torment" as well.

"What's that, cube hero? Mort's a stupid skull? why YES, he IS!"

xthemage
2004-05-10, 03:22 PM

Maybe it's another text encoding scheme. Considering languages like elven (with thousands of ways of expressing a single sound), the modron may be using some kind of extended unicode. Though... modrons are famed for powers of three. It's possible he's using some kind of trinary system. I've tried several approaches, and I get nothing useful.

The Giant
2004-05-10, 03:53 PM
"What's that, cube hero? Mort's a stupid skull? why YES, he IS!"

Best part of any computer game ever. I loved the cube hero:

"You pick the toy up, and move the arms and make sword-fighting noises. The toy *clicks* and *whirs* as you move its clockwork joints. Within moments, the tiny cube has vanquished every imaginary opponent you have against it, and settles back to its normal position.

You wave its arms and make cheering noises. Hordes of imaginary creatures from across the Planes cheer the cube's victory. You can almost see a tiny oily tear brimming on one of its eyes... it is a hero, the greatest cube ever to roam the Planes, and everyone loves it. In your mind, Fall-From-Grace and Annah hug it and shower it with kisses."

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-05-10, 04:44 PM
Ffft. As far as I am concerned, Modrons are the only true inhabitants of Mechanus. They are deeply cool by virtue of their kitschiness. They make perfect sense, too, in their weird mechanical clunkiness as representatives of Order.

Viva la Modrons!

Here here!

I never got that far in Torment, though...I loved the game, but I kept on getting killed by hordes of people just cause I did some stupid thing or another.

So...considering D&D's general polytheistic leanings, can we expect an entire pantheon around Elan's head, each one arguing completely irrevelant stuff - Thor and Loki arguing "Thunder! no, fire!"

Nah, that would be stupid.

WouldILie
2004-05-10, 06:24 PM
And where does neutrality stand on this? Is it assumed that Elan, being indecisive and conflicted represents in himself a moral standpoint not wholy committed to any specific course of action?

That, and I also don't think modrons get used enough... I mean, formains are pure order now? They're bugs, man...

And how much more chaotic is it when the avatars of chaos are giant frogs? Anybody know where that one came from?

Ashlock
2004-05-10, 09:02 PM
Ahh, a surge of great memories from Torment, one of the few games I played through twice...

I'm still impressed that the voice of Dak'kon, the githzerai character, was done by Assistant Director Skinner (of X-Files fame).

Xander77
2004-05-11, 07:51 AM
1) Thanks for the Torment memories. I re-played that game approx 10 times, and will re-play it again - actually, it's fairly hard to get killed in it, and it's no biggies even if you do...

2) Wouldn't it have made more sense for the modron to actually say something meaningful in Binary, and for the slaad to quote from the "Illuminati!"?

3) At first, I actually took the slaad for a frog - thinking it's a nod to "Hello Cthulhu"...

The Giant
2004-05-11, 10:17 AM
2) Wouldn't it have made more sense for the modron to actually say something meaningful in Binary, and for the slaad to quote from the "Illuminati!"?

Maybe, but I don't know binary, nor what "Illuminati" is (I mean, I know what the theoretical organization is, but not any specific book about it). Gibberish is also funnier.

Grey Watcher
2004-05-11, 11:16 AM
Maybe the Modron's statement does mean something! Horses are the ultimate expression of order!

Xander77
2004-05-11, 01:50 PM
-5 geek points for the giant.

Don't even know anyone who knows binary? I'm sure posters would be happy to help...

As for "Illuminati" - I don't have the time to give a proper summation (though I'd appreciate if anyone else would...) let's just say it's a 70's sci-fi book that really does justice to anarachy as a concept...

Piratecat
2004-05-11, 02:50 PM
Whats' a Modron?

Actually, they're a lot like a Hennwai.

JD
2004-05-11, 03:26 PM
Don't even know anyone who knows binary? I'm sure posters would be happy to help...

I think that 10 means 2 though I might be mistaking, I however know a *cough* geek *cough* he can read it easily.

Gorbash Kazdar
2004-05-11, 04:13 PM
For a moment when I first read it, I wondered if the Giant was quoting Bender from Futurama, in the episode he converts to the robot church.

I imagine Elan will try and rescue Nale (btw, is that pronounced as Nal-ee, or Nail?) but I wonder whether Nale will try one more attempt to perform an evil act, and thus create his own ruin in true villian style?

Xander77
2004-05-11, 04:18 PM
I honestly hope that Nale has shown that he's smarter then that. Really.

davericsdamsel
2004-05-11, 05:06 PM
I think that 10 means 2 though I might be mistaking, I however know a *cough* geek *cough* he can read it easily.

Teachers can also read it - it is really just Base 2. (we live in a base 10 world fortunately)

and yes, 10 = 2 11 = 3 100 = 4.....

see here for interesting site on it http://www.psinvention.com/zoetic/base2.htm

: ) jenny

wait a minute.... teachers aren't geeks are we? I have never eaten a live animal.......

;)

WouldILie
2004-05-11, 06:58 PM
soooo...

base 10 math:
{table]100s10s1s
1 2 3 = 123[/table]

base 2 math:
{table]64s 32s 16s 8s 4s 2s 1s
1 1 1 1 0 1 1 = 1111011, or 123 in binary[/table]

now, for those of you who don't have the ascii charts memorized, you can just go to http://nickciske.com/tools/binary.php for a quick binary-to-text translator. Keep in mind that ascii values are 8 values long in binary. (Ex. A = 01000001)

I hope that helps the few who might not have gotten it...

Bogotter
2004-05-11, 07:16 PM
So we've gone from Planescape Torment memories to mathematics. I wonder if we'll ever be able to keep this thread on topic.

::)

WouldILie
2004-05-11, 07:42 PM
<embed src="Pithy_MathIsEverything.arg"></embed>

;D

Anyways, I'd have to agree with Gorbash; Nale seems the type to try and backstab anyone who would give him a hand up. I mean, these cliches do exist for a reason, right?

RawBearNYC
2004-05-11, 09:32 PM
Off Topic Super Geek moment incomming:

Anyone who truly understands binary numeration knows that the "There are 10 different types of people, those who understand binary and those that don't." joke is fundamentally flawed. 10 is, in fact, the 3rd number in binary numeration. When we want to represent 2 states, we only use 1 digit (0 and 1).

So the joke should read: "There are 1 different types of people, those who understand binary (1) and those that don't (0).", but most people won't think that's as funny.

OK, I'm done being a super geek, back to the Order of the Stick.

fredryck
2004-05-11, 10:09 PM
I know RAW... but most people don't get it anyway, and then to explain that all makes people's heads hurt. ???

However, since I get it... it cracks me up!!!

WouldILie
2004-05-11, 10:24 PM
*sigh* Forgive us, Admins, for we post off-topic in earnest...

the number "2" in binary is depicted in a small integer form as 0010. 10 is the third value, only because 0000 is, well, zero. 0001 is the second, but equates to a value of 20, or 1. So, "There are only 10 types of people," would be equivalent to "two types of people," and "There are only 01 types of people," would be equivalent to "only one types..."

Basically what I'm getting at here, Raw, is that I'm either thouroughly confused by the way you stated it (i'm missing something), or I think you might be incorrect...

As a favor to non math nerds and admins, maybe this should be taken elsewhere...

*EDIT* ...and about 5am it occurs to me that you were talking about boolian on/off values and not binary notation per se. I'd like to say I outsmarted myself, but I just feel really stupid now.

Baron
2004-05-12, 08:01 AM
As a favor to non math nerds and admins, maybe this should be taken elsewhere...

Baron Von Mod: Yes please.

Gilfner
2004-05-12, 12:01 PM
I imagine Elan will try and rescue Nale (btw, is that pronounced as Nal-ee, or Nail?) but I wonder whether Nale will try one more attempt to perform an evil act, and thus create his own ruin in true villian style?

I kind of hope so, that way Elan can say "Karma-riffic" again!

Ooo, look, I found the topic again!

Grey Watcher
2004-05-12, 12:13 PM
Ooo, look, I found the topic again!

To.. pic? What is this "topic" you speak of?

Seriously, though, how long can Nale's strength modifier hold out?

lartinger
2004-05-12, 01:06 PM
Can we get a Karma-riffic t-shirt? ;D

Caleb
2004-05-12, 01:38 PM
My guess would be that he saves his brother but then he manages to escape and takes Hilda(we haven't seen her die yet, have we?) and the succubus I cannot remember the name of and works together with Xylon.

My guess only...

Xander77
2004-05-12, 02:23 PM
Err... and on another topic altogether, in comic 27, Roy goes "What are waiting for?" at the dwarf cleric...

Fix it?

deathsangel
2004-05-12, 08:40 PM
For anybody who cares: 100101010100010101101011 would read (assuming ascii standard only) jq-(and the 4th character wont show because of the boards encoding but is asii char 003 which is a heart) athough what that could mean, if anything, is a mystery to me.

And WouldILie, ascii standard is only 7 bits, extended ascii is not standard and varies from encoding encoding.

Yes, I'm a nerd. More precisely a programmer.

Anyways, can anybody reccomend a good free webhost that allows hot-linking mine no longer is suitable?

Bogotter
2004-05-12, 09:49 PM
The Mod Otter: There is nothing preventing anyone from starting a thread on binary or on Planescape Torment, but this thread is for talking about Order of the Stick....in May.

Please attempt to stay on topic.

Thank you.

The Giant
2004-05-13, 12:03 AM
The new comic's up, anyway, so we can see what new digressions arise...

Tarlonniel
2004-05-13, 12:08 AM
"Just be careful, my hands are still slippery with your blood."

Nale is sooooo evil...

Michael
2004-05-13, 12:28 AM
I'm just wondering why Nale is smiling with the evil eyebrows even after he's been captured.

Obviously I'm more than a bit slow on the uptake, but I just realized Nale is Elan spelled backwards. They're both real names (at least, sound like them to me) which is probably why I didn't get it until just now.

Giant, how far ahead do you usually plan your comics? Appologies if you've already answered this elsewhere. I'm just wondering if you've had a lot of what's happened so far in your mind back when you first started doing these.

My other question is if you've ever thought about writing commentary on them. You talk about them in the forums, but I think it would be neat to hear your thoughts on various comics, what you liked, what deciscions you made, or whatever else.

The Giant
2004-05-13, 12:32 AM
I'm just wondering why Nale is smiling with the evil eyebrows even after he's been captured.

dun dun DUN!

Giant, how far ahead do you usually plan your comics? Appologies if you've already answered this elsewhere. I'm just wondering if you've had a lot of what's happened so far in your mind back when you first started doing these.

With the story parts, I have ideas for the direction many strips in advance, but they only exist as an outline until I get ready to write them. Sometimes, though, I come up with the whole joke a LONG time in advance, and then work my way up to it. I had the idea for both of the lawyers' appearances around the time I drew strip #2 or #3, but I had to work my way up to them.

My other question is if you've ever thought about writing commentary on them. You talk about them in the forums, but I think it would be neat to hear your thoughts on various comics, what you liked, what deciscions you made, or whatever else.

*CoughCompilationBookCough* ;)

Michael
2004-05-13, 12:37 AM
*CoughCompilationBookCough* ;)

Well, that would just kick nine kinds of ass.

thumbprint
2004-05-13, 01:09 AM
Please understand that my extreme desire for that book is why I am finally, finally de-lurking.

(Hi, I'm Lauren, and I'm about as awkward on messageboards as I am in real life. If I offend anyone with a breach of etiquette, please bust my ass. Thanks.)

The Giant
2004-05-13, 01:23 AM
Heh, well, welcome Lauren, nice to have you here. :) Hopefully you won't re-engage your Lurking Device now that you've revealed yourself.

Any such book would be on the "maybe in 2004, but probably not until early 2005" schedule; I'm only beginning to find out how much such a thing would cost; it has to be in full-color, which is hard to get done on a self-publishing budget. But it is definitely a dream of mine.

Dolash
2004-05-13, 06:09 AM
What a great comic.

"I have eight ranks in use rope!"

"Kinky..."

Now I'll never be able to use the use rope skill again ;D.

Looking forwards to the next one.

Quetzi
2004-05-13, 06:17 AM
I'm saving Belkar's "Kinky" comment for our session. The female player in our group has to get ranks in use rope at some point.

Wanderer
2004-05-13, 08:53 AM
"For future reference, that's the kind of request you should make BEFORE the battle starts, genius."

I am SO using that. I can think of so many times when people tell me after the battle that I should have done something different.

And the sylph is back! Sweet! I was worried the poor girl would be stuck as a statue forever. Of course, with the cleric down and V-man out of spells, I have no idea how they're going to change her back...

Oh, and don't worry too much about Nale. He's lawful evil, remember? When he gives his word it counts for something.

Zherog
2004-05-13, 09:58 AM
Any such book would be on the "maybe in 2004, but probably not until early 2005" schedule; I'm only beginning to find out how much such a thing would cost; it has to be in full-color, which is hard to get done on a self-publishing budget. But it is definitely a dream of mine.

Can I pre-order my copy now? ;)

Zherog
2004-05-13, 10:01 AM
And before the Mod Otter comes along and kicks my fanny for posting off topic... :P

"I'm the good twin, not the neutral twin"

http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de//happy/roflmao.gifhttp://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de//happy/roflmao.gifhttp://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de//happy/roflmao.gifhttp://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de//happy/roflmao.gif

marketingman
2004-05-13, 12:36 PM
The only problem I have is that it now seems so long between Monday and Thursday.

Bravo on an excellent strip #69 (heee hee)
No looking at it it was predestined.

fredryck
2004-05-13, 12:39 PM
so if Elan is the good twin... does that in fact make Elan and Nale two parts of a set of triplets????

duh....duh...dun....

Calyn
2004-05-13, 12:57 PM
Somewhere out there is Lena their true neutral sister!!! ;D

Maybe she's a druid? (Hearkening back to the old 2e rules...)

Or another bard? It could be like the Partridge Family!

JD
2004-05-13, 01:07 PM
I'm so happy about this one, Belkars hat, Haleys rope skill ;D, and of course the "I want a bajilion gold pieces"

Wonder if we'll see her carry around her "Haleys Loot" bag again next episode

I didn't say anything *whistles*

EDIT: I have stolen this page.... [evil laughter] soon I will spread to all message boards as a plauge..... or not....

Grey Watcher
2004-05-13, 02:54 PM
:swoops in a gallantly rescues the page from JD:

Funny, I could have sworn you said something about the "Haley's Loot" bag. ;D

Matuse
2004-05-13, 06:22 PM
Ok, so if we assume that the sylph has been falling the whole time since being turned to stone, and that it has been at least 20-30 minutes since she was turned to stone...

How high is the roof in this place (as in...150-200 miles), how can Varsuuvius see it at that distance, and why didn't the statue shatter into a bajillion pieces when it landed?

Michael
2004-05-13, 06:28 PM
When it landed on the ground in the Air temple place, maybe it was heavy enough to crack the floor beneath it.

The floor may have been cracking beneath its weight all this while, and as the cracks got larger and larger the floor under the statue (or, from our heroes' point of view, the ceiling above their heads) got weaker and weaker until the statue finally broke through and fell.

At least, I assume that's what happened. Either way, I don't really think the Giant needs to calculate every single thing that happens in his strip. Like he says, things move at the speed of plot.

The Giant
2004-05-13, 08:49 PM
The floor may have been cracking beneath its weight all this while, and as the cracks got larger and larger the floor under the statue (or, from our heroes' point of view, the ceiling above their heads) got weaker and weaker until the statue finally broke through and fell.

Something like that. It will be touched on next strip.

WouldILie
2004-05-13, 10:17 PM
I seem to recall at least one monster taking a pot shot at the Linear Guild in flight... few ranged attacks from the right beasty could probably weaken a ceiling pretty good.

marketingman
2004-05-14, 01:39 AM
I think the time frame is shorter then twenty to thirty minutes for the combat, I figure more like 5 minutes total for the combat.

fredryck
2004-05-14, 06:58 AM
Vaarsuvius did mention that the ceiling was cracked...

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-05-14, 04:50 PM
I seem to recall at least one monster taking a pot shot at the Linear Guild in flight... few ranged attacks from the right beasty could probably weaken a ceiling pretty good.

That's what I was thinking actually. Like the hydrolisk's acid shot that missed Zz, for instance

Grey Watcher
2004-05-14, 06:41 PM
Well, at least ONE of the sigil guardians has a chance of making it out alive. Or will they just use her cell phone to call for help? ;D

:blows smoke from his PlotDestroyer (TM) Gun:

WouldILie
2004-05-15, 03:34 AM
I hope its that simple. my regular group always comes up with convoluted ideas like, for example, casting reverse gravity spells on the stoned creature and using it as a buoy to float out or using stoned creatures as trebuchet ballast and then flinging themselves across chasms...

really, they even do the math to prove it will work. its what i get for playing with physics majors...

Caleb
2004-05-15, 05:10 AM
[...]casting reverse gravity spells on the stoned creature and using it as a buoy to float out or using stoned creatures as trebuchet ballast and then flinging themselves across chasms...[...]

What? You are giving your monster drugs? :D

Wanderer
2004-05-15, 10:40 AM
No! Save the sylph! Save the sylph! Please? :'(

Grey Watcher
2004-05-16, 10:46 AM

MWAHAHAH! You are too late, Wanderer! You're very request has sealed her doom! DOOOOOOOM!

:-[ ;D

mossfoot
2004-05-16, 07:34 PM

I gotta admit, having her call her mom beforehand, I was going "ah, man!" when the inevitable came ;) At first I just thought it was just in the name of comedy, developing her personality within that one strip even though you knew she was going to get whacked... now that she's back, I'm thinking there might be more to it. Cool stuff!

Carrion
2004-05-16, 11:09 PM
Hello, love the comic etc etc... Quick question - did the last comic (Sylph falling through the roof) have a reference to Kevin Smith's Dogma, or was that a coincidence?

<Jay> Guys like us don't just fall out of the sky you know!

The Giant
2004-05-16, 11:13 PM
Not intentionally, no. As a big fan of Kevin Smith, I can assure you that any actual references will be obvious. ;)

Wanderer
2004-05-17, 12:15 AM
Yes! The sylph is back! I can now be happy. Especially since she has the good sense to fry Nale. ;D

(Although... is it just me, or is she missing a leg in the last panel? It just looks kind of... odd.)

The Giant
2004-05-17, 12:21 AM
Whoops! It got brought to the back layer by accident. I'll fix it now.

Gorbash Kazdar
2004-05-17, 12:56 AM
Ah, layering - the cause of, and solution to, many imaging problems. :P

Yes, bad, I know...

In any case, I have to say Nale's definitely Evil with a capital E. Even when he's tied up he gets a nasty jab in... I suppose now they'll just have to gag him ;)

mossfoot
2004-05-17, 02:10 AM
Not just evil, but a bad ass to boot! I mean, he's just grinnin' taking the lightning hit! Must be protected by a warm aura of evil satisfaction ;D

Wonder if the lightning would fry the rope ala Indiana Jones? ;)

Dolash
2004-05-17, 06:32 AM
"No, I'm just screwing with you, its' been like an hour, tops."

;D What a great line.

And hi Mossfoot, this is HL.

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-05-17, 06:47 AM
In any case, I have to say Nale's definitely Evil with a capital E.

NalE?

Tarlonniel
2004-05-17, 10:17 AM
That was nasty. Bad Nale, bad. But at least she's flesh-and-blood again; I wonder how she can help them, though? And are we ever gonna see Durkon again? :-/

Calyn
2004-05-17, 02:20 PM
I'm kind of curious what that glowing sphere around Nale and Thog is in the last panel.

Some kind of protective bubble? Some weird affect of the lightning spell?

The Giant
2004-05-17, 02:50 PM
It's intended to convey that they are getting zapped without having to draw lightning covering Nale and Thog.

Calyn
2004-05-17, 02:52 PM
Gotcha.

Daveric
2004-05-17, 05:23 PM
Hello, love the comic etc etc... Quick question - did the last comic (Sylph falling through the roof) have a reference to Kevin Smith's Dogma, or was that a coincidence?

<Jay> Guys like us don't just fall out of the sky you know!

I was wondering the same thing. :)

Also Nale's line at the end reminded me of Monty Python and Eric Idle from "Life of Brian" 'Na, I'm just pulling your leg. Cruxification.' or something to that effect. :) Good comic Rich.

Baron
2004-05-18, 04:11 AM
Cruxification's a doddle!

Grubb
2004-05-18, 04:03 PM
The line reminded me more of the guy from Futurama that says "Welcome to the world of tomorrow" in the first episode. Only evil. I don't know why, it just does.

Calyn
2004-05-19, 01:22 PM
Ok, momentarily off-topic for a second here.

Man, Giant... I love that avatar for the Baron. *rofl*

The Giant
2004-05-19, 02:17 PM
Yeah, it cracks me up every time I see it, and I drew it. :)

Sebastian
2004-05-19, 07:11 PM
Hi, everybody. I found a link to this comic on the Fuzzy Knights forums and I just wanted to say that I love it. Probably the funniest RPG related comic I ever read, (and even between the not RPG related)

and speaking of the comic, am I the only one that thinks that Haley likes Elan? (And I mean LIKES likes him ;) I don't know if someone else already mentioned it in the forum, but I had this impression reading the comic.

Calyn
2004-05-19, 09:28 PM
Any chance we might get an OotS-Bond crossover? Or a special James Bond comic day?

;D

Malecki
2004-05-20, 03:16 AM
Magic Tomes and DVDs, lol.

- Malecki

mossfoot
2004-05-20, 04:10 AM
For strip 71...

So THAT's how all these guardian types get their jobs... always wondered about that. ;)

(making personal calls and swiping office supplies, gotta love it ;D)

Baron
2004-05-20, 04:33 AM
There's a whole DnD meets Dilbert feeling about this one. I really like it. When does the pointy haired boss turn up? ;)

Man, Giant... I love that avatar for the Baron. *rofl*

I think it's cool too! Just working on the manic laugh at the moment....

Dolash
2004-05-20, 07:11 AM
I agree greatly with Mossfoot. I have spent many a day pondering away on the logical explinations for the dungeon and its' inhabitants. This one comic has clearly explained so much.

Grey Watcher
2004-05-20, 11:00 AM
"See also: jackass" ;D

Gilfner
2004-05-20, 11:02 AM
Did the old wizard leave the DVD player behind or did Zykon's minions have to bring it themselves?