PDA

View Full Version : Combing Spell Schools for custom spells

Blackadder
2008-02-21, 02:21 AM
Let say I want to build a spell combing multiple schools into a single spell, how would that affect spell level, cost and such.

Lets take the following spell as example
(Cookie for the name reference)

Izgimmer's Lesser Missile Storm
School Evocation/Illusion
Level:Sorcerer/Wizard X
Components:V,S
Casting Time:1 standard action
Range:Close(25ft +5ft/2 levels)
Target:One Creature/Special
Duration: 1 round/3 Levels
Saving Throw: Will
Spell Resistance:Yes

Missiles of magical energy poor forth from behind you, above you, to the side, they appear from the very air and dive towards your target. You must succeed on a range touch attack in order to hit your target. The missiles each do 1d6 of force damage per every two caster level(Max 5d6). However any creature struck by or in the line of fire of the missiles must succeed on a Will save or be dazed for one round for every three caster levels(Max of four rounds) as they see and feel hundreds of more missiles slam into them.

---------------
So this spell is essence a two-parter. A weaker magic missile plus a bit of illusion magic to make it seem much worse than it is. What I imagine this spell would look like in action is something akin to the good old fashion Robotech missile swarm
For those that have never seen a robotech missile swarm click here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ9fVwK1j-o)

And natural of course, the higher level versions of this spell would be much less illusion and much more evocation, but for the two lesser versions of the spell, what spell level would be good? I'm aiming for first but is the two part of this pushing it to 2nd level or beyond?

Blackadder
2008-02-21, 09:03 AM
*Bump for help

Blackadder
2008-02-22, 01:37 AM
Bump for helping

MagFlare
2008-02-22, 06:15 PM
You mention how much damage each missile does, but don't specify how many missiles are actually involved. You also say that the missiles appear from every direction, and then say that anyone in the path of these missiles is affected by the daze effect, but that's really not enough information to let me figure out who's in the line of fire and who isn't.

Kickass avatar, by the way.

Blackadder
2008-02-23, 02:09 AM
Excuse me let me retype it and make it clearer.

Target:One Creature/Special Line

Missiles of magical energy poor forth from behind you, above you, to the side, they appear from the very air itself and dive towards your target. These missiles appear no more that five feet from you. These missiles always strike the target. The missiles each do 1 point of force damage. The number of missiles generated by this spell is 1d6 per every two caster level(Max 5d6). The target must succeed on a Will save or be dazed for one round for every three caster levels(Max of four rounds) as they see and feel hundreds of more missiles hit them. In addition any other creatures within a 5* line of the caster and the target must also make the wills save or suffer the same effect.

MagFlare
2008-02-25, 03:11 PM
Excuse me let me retype it and make it clearer.

Target:One Creature/Special Line

Missiles of magical energy poor forth from behind you, above you, to the side, they appear from the very air itself and dive towards your target. These missiles appear no more that five feet from you. These missiles always strike the target. The missiles each do 1 point of force damage. The number of missiles generated by this spell is 1d6 per every two caster level(Max 5d6). The target must succeed on a Will save or be dazed for one round for every three caster levels(Max of four rounds) as they see and feel hundreds of more missiles hit them. In addition any other creatures within a 5* line of the caster and the target must also make the wills save or suffer the same effect.

Much better. Looks like a level two spell. I don't think belonging to two different schools would have much of an impact on the spell's level - presumably all that'd mean is that you'd be able to reap the bonuses of the Spell Focus feat whether you had Spell Focus (Evocation) or Spell Focus (Illusion), right? Conversely, it'd also mean that an opponent with a resistance to either one of those schools would be resistant to this spell, so I think it'd balance out.