PDA

View Full Version : Warforge

Jimbob
2008-02-21, 12:15 PM
Do you think Warforge's are over powered and should have a +1LA?? Just wondering what other people think, cos we will be starting an Ebbron campagine soon and the DM was thinking of putting a +1LA on it.

cheers all.:smallsmile:

Vexxation
2008-02-21, 12:23 PM
Do you think Warforge's are over powered and should have a +1LA?? Just wondering what other people think, cos we will be starting an Ebbron campagine soon and the DM was thinking of putting a +1LA on it.

cheers all.:smallsmile:

Well, the whole "no item-based armor save docents" and "50% healing from positive spells" really suck. Unless you're an Artificer. They're pretty sweet.

Krrth
2008-02-21, 12:28 PM
No, I don't think they need a LA. THey look like it at first, but they have some significant drawbacks. Like no natural healing (to include ability damage), no armor slots, and a built in armor check/arcane penalty.

Telonius
2008-02-21, 12:31 PM
Warforged don't deserve a level adjustment. The biggest reasons are lack of full healing from Conjuration/Healing spells, and the two stat losses. The immunities are nice, but they're offset by those factors. You're not always going to be fighting enemies that are going to sicken, poison, or exhaust you; but you'll always have those stat adjustments. You can get around the healing problem with an Artificer or a Wizard, but every spell they spend healing you is a spell they don't spend raining down arcane doom on your enemies.

D Knight
2008-02-21, 11:05 PM
i agree with ever one here when i say warforged are fine no great with out a LA becaues of there major draw back.
1) magic has a 50% effect and to get full effect you have to spend 2 lv's on reforged or spend alot of money and a special mission to get something that over comes this too.
2) warforged are marvouls fighting machines but put with a few lv's of artificer they become better at that job but you are not a full caster and your int proble is in the tolit so to say.
3)they are flavorerful and with the right class but not overpowering in any way unless they are full of cheese then yes but over all no.

Nebo_
2008-02-21, 11:08 PM
Warforged.

No, they don't need an LA. They have a lot of great abilities, but it balances out very well with their bad points.

Talya
2008-02-21, 11:15 PM
If you give them a level adjustment, be sure to give them construct-style immunity to magic to go with it.

Worira
2008-02-21, 11:56 PM
Warforged aren't broken, unless they're, say Phrenic Incarnate Warforged.

Jimbob
2008-02-22, 02:57 AM
Cheers guys thats what I thought but just wanted a general over view. So in your eyes would you say a warforged would make a good Bar cos they dont get fatigued? so could they rage straight away again??

This is for my own benifit now.

Funkyodor
2008-02-22, 03:06 AM
The fatigue immunity is nice, but you can only Rage once per encounter. Its just nice that you don't have to wait until 17th level to get that bonus. Except now lvl 17 doesn't give you anything...

Cuddly
2008-02-22, 04:04 AM
Warforged is about at dwarf or elan level power. A little more. Your DM should only put an LA on them if he doesn't want anyone to play them; in which case just say they're off limits.

Not being fatigued after using a mediocre class ability really isn't that spectacular.

The_Snark
2008-02-22, 04:31 AM
Warforged are also quite good as 1st-level tanks. Adamantine Armor at 1st level gives you the equivalent of full plate, plus a little damage reduction; pretty formidable defenses for 1st-level characters. As they go on in levels, the loss of a feat for something everyone else can buy prett easily isn't as valuable a tradeoff, but they're still a solid race. Definitely don't deserve an LA.

Cuddly
2008-02-22, 05:08 AM
Warforged are also quite good as 1st-level tanks. Adamantine Armor at 1st level gives you the equivalent of full plate, plus a little damage reduction; pretty formidable defenses for 1st-level characters. As they go on in levels, the loss of a feat for something everyone else can buy prett easily isn't as valuable a tradeoff, but they're still a solid race. Definitely don't deserve an LA.

You do need the feat, however, for possibly my favoritist prestige class ever; the Warforged Juggernaught.

Tetsubo 57
2008-02-22, 08:55 AM
Not only do I think the Warforged don't need a LA, but I've always thought they were *underpowered*. They keep getting described as uberwarriors. They are shown in many illustrations as being powerful physically. But they don't have a Strength bonus. And the Warforged Clerical Domain handicaps them even more.

I haven't decided what to do with them for my next campaign. Either add a +2 Strength bonus or remove one of the other ability penalties.

Beleriphon
2008-02-22, 09:16 AM
Not only do I think the Warforged don't need a LA, but I've always thought they were *underpowered*. They keep getting described as uberwarriors. They are shown in many illustrations as being powerful physically. But they don't have a Strength bonus. And the Warforged Clerical Domain handicaps them even more.

I haven't decided what to do with them for my next campaign. Either add a +2 Strength bonus or remove one of the other ability penalties.

I think you need to keep in mind that they were designed for a setting where are all warforged have at least one PC class level, usually the first. This is in a world where your average soldier, a veteran of many battles, is probably a War2, maybe a War3. A single fighter level beats that in spades.

Tetsubo 57
2008-02-22, 09:21 AM
I think you need to keep in mind that they were designed for a setting where are all warforged have at least one PC class level, usually the first. This is in a world where your average soldier, a veteran of many battles, is probably a War2, maybe a War3. A single fighter level beats that in spades.

I could see that if they were described as "elite" or just as veterans. But they are shown time and again as being physically powerful. Except they are no stronger than a Human. Or even Elves. If I was going to design and build a race of warriors, a high Strength would be priority Number 1.

Hey, I might just leave that as they are. If people want to play a race that I consider sub par they can.

Greenfaun
2008-02-22, 09:08 PM
My opinion would be that warforged are too powerful the same way fighters are too powerful. That is to say, they're frontloaded but weak in the long run. Warforged racial abilities and the cool feats that let them skip over crappy starting equipment are really useful at level 1, but you pay for it later.

Still, nothing's stopping you from making a Warforged Fighter (barbarian works too) and being The Man for levels 1 and 2. You might want to die and roll a new character by about level 6 though. Or go juggernaut and embrace your clankiness. Having fun is still the most important consideration, after all.