PDA

View Full Version : On Crafting Magical items

Nero24200
2008-02-21, 01:55 PM
Hello to all

The other day, I was working on a character conceapt, a self-reliant warrior whom attempts to do everything himself. This included crafting his own weapons.

Now, a proud warrior in Medievil Europe, I could picture doing this, but in D'n'D, this kind of character runs into a major problem. Almost all combat orientated characters relay heavily on magical equipment at higher levels.

My question is, is there any way to make a character capable of crafting magical weapons without taking levels in a spellcasting class? Such as a feat or even a presteige class.

Note: I'm doing this mostly for RP purposes, I won't mind if the method isn't a particularly pratical one.

AKA_Bait
2008-02-21, 02:01 PM
I think some variant on the Bearer of the Ancestral Weapon (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/xJ1VzXrzTxbe9Z8rXIV.html)that The Giant came up with could work pretty well for this.

AmberVael
2008-02-21, 02:03 PM
The Kensai PrC from Complete Warrior could work out.

Eldaran
2008-02-21, 02:13 PM
If you really want to be a non-magical crafter, there's a totally awesome PrC from Ultimate Prestige Classes by Mongoose Publishing. It's called Gifted Maker, and you can basically make stuff as a non caster, but you need special quest items to make stuff at +4 or +5. On the other hand if you spend 150% of the material cost you gain exp rather than losing it when crafting.

Their final ability lets you crafter a +7 item with abilities up to +7 (so like a +7 flaming keen vorpal greatsword), or even a minor/major artifact, but you lose all the abilities of the prestige class, as well as a ton of experience, and if you use it to make an artifact you become crippled or some other bad effect.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-02-21, 02:16 PM
Dip into Artificer for Craft Magic Arms and Armor? If you max UMD in whatever your warrior class is, you should be able to craft, especially if you take human paragon levels to make UMD a class skill.

Krrth
2008-02-21, 02:16 PM
There is a feat in the BoED tha tlets you spend XP and gold to enchant a weapon. File of the exalted part, and it should work for you.

Burley
2008-02-21, 02:38 PM
Also, if you've got the extra gold to shell out, you can just hire somebody to cast the spell for you.
If you wanna be a little tiny bit cheezy, take the Leadership feat, and have your cohort be a wizard...:tongue:

Kyeudo
2008-02-21, 02:48 PM
DMG2 has rules for enchanting your own weapon without needing item creation feats. Weapon only works for you, but that should be fine.

Also, there is the Ironsoul Forgemaster if you want to tap into incarnum.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-02-21, 10:00 PM
If you happen to be a Dwarf, or be willing to take the Stone Blessed route, look at Battlesmith from Races of Stone. They get Craft Magic Arms and Armor, a fast advancing "caster level" that only applies to making items, Full BAB, and a few other goodies.

Collin152
2008-02-21, 10:03 PM
I'd have to second Kensei.

D Knight
2008-02-21, 11:11 PM
i would thrid on Kensei but there are some magic forges that can do that while you make your weapon or armor but i do not remeber which book it comes from so you will have to look. and thats my 2 cents on this