PDA

View Full Version : Writer Wanted!

American Canine
2008-02-21, 05:36 PM
Hey,

Just saying that I am getting pretty good at drawing but am not such a hot writer. Would anybody be interested in filling the gap? If so, post here with your name, possible ideas for a storyline, and a sampling of your writing (unnecessary.) Please reply soon!

Things that I am NOT willing to do
Video Game Parodies
Fairytopia
Pineapples
The adventures of Jar-Jar

Ichneumon
2008-02-21, 05:40 PM
Could you give us some examples of your art?

Tre of the Wood
2008-02-21, 05:49 PM
I was thionking about doing a comic, but I can't draw. Maybe... could you post an example of your art?

American Canine
2008-02-21, 05:52 PM
Sure

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/4300/comiccg3.png

American Canine
2008-02-21, 05:57 PM
Let Me Make That Bigger

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2106/roxyzp7.png
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/9719/proffesorfancycc5.png
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/1868/greekhy3.png

Tre of the Wood
2008-02-21, 06:10 PM
Can you draw an eagle?

Blayze
2008-02-21, 06:13 PM
Hey,

Just saying that I am getting pretty good at drawing but am not such a hot writer. Would anybody be interested in filling the gap? If so, post here with your name, possible ideas for a storyline, and a sampling of your writing (unnecessary.) Please reply soon!

Things that I am NOT willing to do
Video Game Parodies
Fairytopia
Pineapples
The adventures of Jar-Jar

Writer here. Example here (http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2464420/1/The_Chronicles_of_Estra). Idea... Eh. Would you prefer fantasy, modern or sci-fi? I have a "My Documents" folder filled with ideas for all three, but to post all of them would waste everybody's time. :)

Felixaar
2008-02-21, 06:15 PM
Maybe you should check out this guy (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72134), he seems to have some pretty good ideas. Don't know if he was looking for an artist though.

American Canine
2008-02-21, 06:16 PM
Writer here. Example here (http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2464420/1/The_Chronicles_of_Estra). Idea... Eh. Would you prefer fantasy, modern or sci-fi? I have a "My Documents" folder filled with ideas for all three, but to post all of them would waste everybody's time. :)

Honestly, modern or fantasy would be nice

American Canine
2008-02-21, 06:28 PM
Can you draw an eagle?

Why would I need to?

Maulrus
2008-02-21, 07:05 PM
*snip*

He would be in great shape if he talked to Bor or Shadow Addict.

Woo hoo! :smallbiggrin:

Bayar
2008-02-22, 12:27 AM
I had a script for a short lenght comic...A male halfling sorcerer and a female elven paladin...and an ambush in the woods...

Samples are in ABR...somewhere...

The plus side with me is that I usually give good advises to webcomicers...ask Undertaker, Hacktor and other writers...

Blayze
2008-02-22, 06:48 AM
Ah, that's a point. How long do you want this to end up? Short, medium, long or epic?

Belial_the_Leveler
2008-02-22, 10:00 PM
The first question is, there's a vast difference between writing a small synopsis to one's story so that it is interesting and writing a page or two of actual dialogue from the story itself. Which of the two would you prefer?

As for the second question, it has been asked already: what type of story are you most interested in? High Fantasy? Modern? Urban fantasy? Sci-Fi?

I have a high fantasy story in the works. I can send you a more complete plot if you want but here I'll post just the plot hook (it's 3 hours to dawn where I live right now)

In a remote village in the Greypeak mountains a few dozen families lead a quiet existence away from the affairs of the great nations and their masters. Spring or autumn, summer or winter, the perpetual cold and cloud-filled skies make for a slow and hard life in the woods, the days spent hunting, fishing or cutting wood for the hearth and the nights with family gatherings around the fire where stories of the old war-now a legend-between the Circles or fairytales with ugly witches, charming princes, fair damsels-in distress more often than not-and wise old wizards. All in all, a typical isolated mountain village.
Well, not quite. One of the oldest men in the village, a hermit living in a small cave high up the mountain is not your average commoner. Living alone for as long as anyone can remember, Nebu Enra is a teller of tales and the village's healer and "old wise man". When the weather is good-or at least better than usual-children go to him to hear the "bestest tales" as anyone in the surrounding area would attest, young women go to learn the secrets of healing plants and young men go to him to be told of the wider world if they wish to travel. Those young men that show some aptitude in such things-no more than one or two in a generation-are taught minor tricks of sleight of hand, illusion and auspex and usually later become the village's best hunters.
Elannan Mordelen, age fifteen, is one of the few not happy with life in the village. She is not happy that the boys get to do the more interesting chores-hunting, scouting and learning with old man Nebu-and that her mother is already planning to marry her off in a year or two. So, when the opportunity arises to tail her friend Marcus up the mountain, she manages to sneak more than a peek at a lesson in auspex-and finds it exciting though very easy.
Nebu senses the presence of the unexpected guest-and also senses that said guest is very gifted. Expecting to find another student, he is very surspised to find that it is Elannan, a young girl, that is watching. Deciding to teach her despite her young age (let alone her being a girl), Elannan joins the small band of students.

Not a week later, a tremendous blast coming from up the mountain awakens everyone in the village in the dead of night. The morning finds the surrounding forest much changed, avalanches having blocked many paths and covered much of the surrounding forest. A team sent to Nebu's cave finds the mountainside blasted away, the cave and the surrounding plateau having collapsed. Most villagers attribute the destruction to the avalanche but Elannan-and soon the rest of the students-can sense that it was no natural event. And thus the search for the cause of the destruction and the fate of the old mage begins...

American Canine
2008-02-23, 11:51 AM
To tell you the truth, I want this thing to drag out to long. Also to answer your questions, an urban fantasy or modern (preferably modern) would work well.

Szilard
2008-02-23, 12:31 PM
What is "long" in your definition?

Blayze
2008-02-23, 12:42 PM
Long? Oh... excellent.

Basic Synopsis: Every year, the merchant city of Giji plays host to a competition that is little more than a bloodsport, the "Hero Tournament". Up for grabs is the right to legally call oneself a Hero, as well as the wealth and fame that go along with such a title and the opportunities it presents.

Drawn by the promise of money, fame and power, people come from across the land to test their skills against each other. The crowds love it, and the seats are always packed. To ensure that only the serious apply, all competitors are magically bound to spend a year in military service if they lose, guarding the region against attack. Naturally, there will always be idiots who apply without knowing of the full terms and conditions.

This is the tale of Luja Kiono, an ex-pickpocket and novice spellcaster, who once barely scraped out a living on the streets of Giji. This is a tale of rival guilds of assassins and thieves, of the struggle to cheat death, of memories better left untouched, of a legacy spanning three hundred years, and of the very nature of magic itself.

And at the centre of it all lies the woman whose curious nature both saved and damned the planet at the same time. This is the planet Estra, a world that should never have had magic.

Crimmy
2008-02-23, 02:14 PM
Can you draw an eagle?

Is that my cue?

hehe, nevermind that, I think that "long" thing it's bit of "Too Long" for a fan-made webcomic, don't you?
I would think that was "Epic".

Anyhow, I could help you out with the script, but I think that you, (and I bold that, YOU) have to make an argument for the webcomic before asking somebody to make the script.

Bayar
2008-02-23, 02:28 PM
Can you draw an eagle?

Bug-Falcon...close enough...
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff15/bayar_m2003/Bugfalcon.png

Maulrus
2008-02-23, 07:47 PM
Hell, I'd be willing to help you out with the script. You've seen my writing, and we could discuss ideas in private.

American Canine
2008-02-24, 05:20 PM
Long? Oh... excellent.

Basic Synopsis: Every year, the merchant city of Giji plays host to a competition that is little more than a bloodsport, the "Hero Tournament". Up for grabs is the right to legally call oneself a Hero, as well as the wealth and fame that go along with such a title and the opportunities it presents.

Drawn by the promise of money, fame and power, people come from across the land to test their skills against each other. The crowds love it, and the seats are always packed. To ensure that only the serious apply, all competitors are magically bound to spend a year in military service if they lose, guarding the region against attack. Naturally, there will always be idiots who apply without knowing of the full terms and conditions.

This is the tale of Luja Kiono, an ex-pickpocket and novice spellcaster, who once barely scraped out a living on the streets of Giji. This is a tale of rival guilds of assassins and thieves, of the struggle to cheat death, of memories better left untouched, of a legacy spanning three hundred years, and of the very nature of magic itself.

And at the centre of it all lies the woman whose curious nature both saved and damned the planet at the same time. This is the planet Estra, a world that should never have had magic.

It sounds perfect. Post a description of the character and I will reply by the end of the day

Blayze
2008-02-24, 08:03 PM
Well, it's not just about Luja, but here goes...

---

Information about Luja:

Luja Kiono is a young male in his early twenties, and is most aptly described by the word "nondescript". His facial features, his clothing, his demeanour... He is easily able to slip into the background of any situation, blending into the crowd. This talent served him well during his younger years, of which I shall explain.

Luja was born into poverty, just like the rest of the peasants living in the slum district of the merchant-city Giji. His father was a small-time crook, his mother a prostitute. When they died to the same illness, he was forced to fend for himself at age seven. He was lost and alone, with only his budding skill as a pickpocket to rely on.

He wandered the streets, although he kept returning to the small hovel he had shared with his parents, wishing that they would return. They had been his world, after all. It was during this time of loss that he was approached, like most of the other slum-dwellers, by a member of an 'organisation'.

That organisation was the 'Guild for Illicit Activities', recently founded by a charismatic man by the name of Chrinos. The offer was simple, the recruiter had explained. Simple business transactions in return for food and other supplies that would be smuggled into the city for the black market. It was a way for the poor to help themselves, by helping criminals.

Luja had no real choice, and quickly signed up. He was placed under the supervision of one of the older thieves, a drunkard called Jekkan. Jekkan had three other charges to look out for, three boys roughly Luja's age. Their names were Janan, Huin and Lib. Though they had their arguments, the five of them grew to think of their little team as a family.

Jekkan taught them various skills essential to their profession, and the five of them stole what they could from the general populace in order to trade with the Guild. After they had all turned fifteen, the four youths were sent off on a 'mission'... alone. The purpose of the 'mission' was to judge whether or not they were capable of handling themselves without Jekkan.

They failed miserably. Without Jekkan's controlling influence, a disagreement evolved into an argument, which broke out into a brawl. Janan, always the most hot-headed of the four, lashed out at Lib for questioning his opinion. He forgot, however, that he was wearing knuckle dusters. Luja tried to restrain him, but was knocked out for his trouble.

Huin tried the same, but Janan just kept on going. It was only later, after Luja had regained consciousness after being carried back to the Guild's headquarters, that he discovered that Janan had killed Lib. Luja was distraught, but so were the others. Janan was cast out of the Guild for breaking one of the Golden Rules.

(Rule 1 - Never act against another Guild member. Rule 2 - There is no Rule 2. Rule 3 - You do not talk about Thief Club)

He fell into a downward spiral of guilt, despair, self-pity and self-hatred. He tried to drown his sorrows in alcohol, much as Jekkan was doing, but lacked neither the alcohol tolerance to stomach it or the self-control to stop drinking. Janan turned to drugs, and quickly fell victim of drug abuse.

His whereabouts, if he still lives, are unknown. Huin, on the other hand, turned to the Guild's "Master Assassin" Morvak for training. He sought to cut himself off from other people, in an attempt to prevent any more situations like that in his life. After all, as an assassin he could work for the Guild without having to work alongside others.

While Janan wallowed in self-hatred and Huin shut himself off from other people, Luja found himself stuck in a rut. He returned to his pickpocket days, and barely managed to break even over a period of months. It seemed as if that was going to be his life. However, a chance encounter changed everything.

He had been tailing an old man through a back alley. The old man appeared drunk, but Luja knew better than to close in on someone before he was ready to make his move. He gave the old man several seconds before following him around a corner...

...Only to discover his intended prey lying on the ground, not moving an inch. At first, Luja believed it to be a trick, a ruse designed to make him lower his guard. Eventually, he worked up the courage to approach the 'corpse', driven as he was by the prospect of being able to pawn the old guy's possessions for food money.

As it happened, the old man really was dead, and although his corpse did not possess anything of any real value, Luja did come across a book. It was entitled "Teach Yourself Magic", and the hungry youth's opportunistic side quickly made itself known.

Here was a tool by which he could aid his efforts as a thief. He had heard of magic, as most others had, but seen little of it in practice. If he could teach himself, then surely he could use this new skill to help himself reach his quotas-

Then it hit him. He was thinking too small. Did he really want to just be able to reach his quota better? No, he wanted to escape the life he had found himself in. He wanted to move beyond thievery, and here was a way that he *could* do it.

Though understanding the contents of the book did prove too much for someone of Luja's calibre, he was nothing if not persistent. Every day, he performed the exercises that the book touted as being able to help him "discover the spark of mana within". It took him a long time, but eventually he made progress.

Though at first he could only cast one or two spells a day, severely winding himself from "mana exhaustion", with every spell he cast his body became more and more accustomed to expending magic. Eventually, the novice-level information the book taught could help him no more. He kept it, however, most likely to prove to himself that he had mastered its contents.

Wanderlust had been growing inside of his mind for the past few years, and one day he just disappeared from Giji altogether. The only person he told was Jekkan, whose failure to teach his subordinates properly had turned him into a laughing stock. Had the old thief been up to travelling, he probably would have gone with his young charge.

However, Luja disappeared alone. As both he and Jekkan expected, Chrinos took the news in good stride, more than happy to be rid of another reminder of that disastrous group. Luja travelled for a couple of years, seeking fame and fortune as he went. It was only after he signed up for the "Hero Tournament" at a regional branch, that his fate became anything more than normal.

Branded with a magic rune-tattoo that would guarantee him a shot at qualification for the Tournament, Luja set out to return to Giji. Out of money and still bearing the marks from the last time he attempted to stow away in a merchant caravan, he was forced to take drastic measures.

This is where our story begins, in the tiny village of Lorrel, as the night-watchman for the local docks, Ruad, is surprised by the sight of a young man, seemingly dead, floating downstream alongside some flotsam.

There are other main characters, but they can wait for another time. I suppose you want a basic bio, eh? :P

---
Name: Luja Kiono
Hair Colour: Brown
Hairstyle: Short and ever-so-slightly spiky
Eye Colour: Brown
Clothing: Nondescript travelling gear (Blue- Gotta love woad!)
Weapons: None
Profession: Ex-pickpocket/Spellcaster
Spell Types: Illusions and Utility spells
Personality: Opportunistic, somewhat carefree
---

Maulrus
2008-02-24, 09:34 PM
If Blayze does this, I definitely read it.

Keris
2008-02-24, 09:38 PM
That's an awesome concept.

No offence American Canine, but I doubt a OotS fan comic could do this justice. Heck, I doubt even Rich could do this justice. Blayze may well need to write this as a novel.

EDIT: Because I felt like it:
http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z257/kerisrain/avatars/LUJA.png

EDIT2: @V Why thank you.

Maulrus
2008-02-24, 10:23 PM
Keris, that is awesome.

Blayze
2008-02-25, 03:13 AM
Blayze may well need to write this as a novel.

Heheheh. Closer to the truth than you knew before I made this statement that was a complete giveaway. ;) Great picture, Keris. May I please borrow it for my own use?

Keris
2008-02-25, 07:46 AM
If you have a use for it, then sure! I just made it as a random doodle. Not so happy about the lack of identifying features (No spellbook, no lockpicks, etc), but he wouldn't be carrying them around openly anyway.

Blayze
2008-02-25, 08:45 AM
Ah, thanks.

he wouldn't be carrying them around openly anyway.

"I'm an NPC! Honest!"