PDA

View Full Version : Low Level Wilder Spam

NobleSavage
2008-02-21, 08:16 PM
I'm throwing together a 5th level rogue/wilder focusing on ranged combat, Psionic Shot, etc. I know its not optimized, but I'd like to make it useful. My question to you is what are a couple good 1st (2) and 2nd (1) battlefield control powers I can spam? Future feats will focus on obtaining psionic focus (Psionic Meditation) and mobility (Up The Walls/other?). So far, I've got Entangling Ectoplasm, but I'd like a power I can buff up with my extra power points and surge ability. What are all y'all's thoughts?

Draz74
2008-02-21, 10:06 PM
Hmmm. Battlefield control in general is one of Psionics' main weaknesses as compared with magic. Especially at low levels.

So you want an augmentable battlefield control power, maximum level 2? As far as single-target stuff goes, you could look into Deceleration or Disable. Demoralize isn't exactly battlefield control, but at least it can hit multiple targets.

Energy Push and Energy Stun are options, too, and Energy Stun really isn't too bad, since its save DC scales so fast. But it is kind of redundant on an archer build. Except that it sets you up for a Sneak Attack.

Mental Disruption ... but it's centered on you, so it's no good at long range.

At Manifester Level 6 you could pick up Control Air from the Kineticist list via Expanded Knowledge.

NobleSavage
2008-02-21, 10:37 PM
Yeah, I'm beginning to see that. I actually really like Energy Push (damage + battlefield control), and it should work well with both SA and the Psionic Shot, as it is a ranged attack.

Disable looks like the poor man's Sleep, and I'm not quite sure about what it says one under its influence can do. Should I just pick up Psionic Grease at first level? It just feels like such a waste of all that emo-pain induced power. Any other good utility spells out there?

NEO|Phyte
2008-02-21, 10:42 PM
Disable looks like the poor man's Sleep, and I'm not quite sure about what it says one under its influence can do.

Disable makes them think they're at 0 HP, and act accordingly. If they take damage, recieve healing, or attempt an action that would cause them to take damage, the effect ends.

NobleSavage
2008-02-21, 10:50 PM
I had picked up on that, but its the

attempt an action that would cause them to take damage, the effect ends

that gets me. How often is a goblin minion going to decide to sacrifice himself for his community/warlord? And its not like they just get another will save, it ends it with no roll on their part. I may end up taking it, but its not my first choice.

NEO|Phyte
2008-02-21, 11:03 PM
that gets me. How often is a goblin minion going to decide to sacrifice himself for his community/warlord? And its not like they just get another will save, it ends it with no roll on their part. I may end up taking it, but its not my first choice.

The power suggests that while important NPCs may attempt heroic actions, most typically cower or attempt to retreat. So really it comes down to your DM.

NobleSavage
2008-02-22, 03:16 PM
Yeah, again, I noted that, but with only 2 or 3 powers known, I'd rather have a power that works, within the mechanics, 100% of the time, than one that is up to the discretion of the DM, no matter how fair he is.

Mr. Friendly
2008-02-22, 03:21 PM
Disable I have never found useful at all.

Number one the available target selection is pretty low.

Number two, and this is the main one, our DMs always play the enemy the same way PCs play themselves. Not "well I will sacrifice myself for the good of the community" or something like that, more like "Oh well, I will knock myself to neg one; if we don't win we are dead anyway; I know the shaman will stabilize/heal me after it's over."

Starbuck_II
2008-02-22, 04:54 PM
Hmmm. Battlefield control in general is one of Psionics' main weaknesses as compared with magic. Especially at low levels.

Entangling ectoplasm is pretty nice. Sure you could buy a tanglefoot bag, but the power is cheaper and not exactly the same (very similar though).

its_all_ogre
2008-02-22, 05:37 PM
imo the wilder is better at direct damage when using the surge to add pp's for free. manifest at 1pp and use surge every time and you'll be using a power at 3rd level loads of times a day.
if you need battlefield control then stun and push are good ones.