PDA

View Full Version : The Undead Question

McMindflayer
2008-02-22, 12:13 AM
I have a couple of questions regarding rebuking and spells that affect undead.

Assume I am a wizard. I have cast command Undead (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/commandUndead.htm) on some poor zombie shmuck. He's now my slave...ish. Then some uppity evil cleric comes by and Rebukes my newfound unintelligent undead. What happens?

Now lets assume I'm a lich, and an uppity wizard comes for me this time. He casts Command Undead onto me for some stupid reason. and I fail my save horribly.Can I cast Comman Undead on myself, auto fail the save, and regain my ability to hate and destroy said wizard? Would it change matters if I ahd it contingencied, so I had it cast before the wizards spell got me?
(Yes, I know I can just counterspell, but assume I'm a dumb lich.)

Zincorium
2008-02-22, 12:18 AM
I have a couple of questions regarding rebuking and spells that affect undead.

Assume I am a wizard. I have cast command Undead (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/commandUndead.htm) on some poor zombie shmuck. He's now my slave...ish. Then some uppity evil cleric comes by and Rebukes my newfound unintelligent undead. What happens?

They get rebuked. Just as if you were controlling the undead after animating them.

Now lets assume I'm a lich, and an uppity wizard comes for me this time. He casts Command Undead onto me for some stupid reason. and I fail my save horribly.Can I cast Comman Undead on myself, auto fail the save, and regain my ability to hate and destroy said wizard? Would it change matters if I ahd it contingencied, so I had it cast before the wizards spell got me?
(Yes, I know I can just counterspell, but assume I'm a dumb lich.)

You could only cast it if the wizard who was commanding you told you to.

Farmer42
2008-02-22, 12:30 AM
You can't command yourself. Now, if your familiar noticed you were acting strangely, and pointed out it might be advisable to hit yourself with a greater dispel, the effect would go away. That's a reasonable action to take, under any circumstances, unless you were specifically commanded not to. Even then, it would not be outside the realm of reason for that order to provoke a charisma check.

Jack_Simth
2008-02-22, 12:33 AM
They get rebuked. Just as if you were controlling the undead after animating them.

Checking, I'd say it's an Opposed Charisma check - as Rebuking is Supernatural, it's a magical mental control effect (even if it is necromancy), just like Command/Control undead. See below for the quote on mental control effects.

You could only cast it if the wizard who was commanding you told you to.That one I have to disagree on - nothing under the Control Undead spell prevents the controlled undead from taking actions on their own initiative (other than that they don't attack their controller) unless the undead is told not to.

Under normal circumstances, a critter under two control-type effects getting conflicting orders is subject to:

Multiple Mental Control Effects: Sometimes magical effects that establish mental control render each other irrelevant, such as a spell that removes the subjects ability to act. Mental controls that don’t remove the recipient’s ability to act usually do not interfere with each other. If a creature is under the mental control of two or more creatures, it tends to obey each to the best of its ability, and to the extent of the control each effect allows. If the controlled creature receives conflicting orders simultaneously, the competing controllers must make opposed Charisma checks to determine which one the creature obeys.

JimmyDPawn
2008-02-22, 06:45 AM
That's a big one, it's kinda like 'Can a charmed person realize their charmed and get it dispelled?'

To my best understanding, you can't; Either you're unaware of it (such as if you're charmed) or you're unable to (Such as if you're dominated).

Now if you had party member trying to convince you that you're charmed or whatever, I can see some sort of roll coming up to see if you figure it out.