PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer CL boost

Stormblind
2008-02-22, 04:15 AM
Im trying to find out a way, within 1 LA or that is able to be taken by level 4 of being able to get a +1 Overall CL boost to a sorcerer.

I know Dragonblooded + Draconic Rite of Passage and Loredrake, but are there any other then that?

Dhavaer
2008-02-22, 04:20 AM
Draconic Heritage from Complete Arcane, IIRC.

Stormblind
2008-02-22, 05:40 AM
Draconic Heritage from Complete Arcane, IIRC.

Draconic Power, which requires Draconic heritage, but works nontheless. Also the Krau sigil from the Illumnians.

Two options, Keep em coming :D

Actually, Question. I have Krau, and its giving +2. Now, does this give me additional spells?

i.e.
I have Beguiler 3 / Mindbender 10, would i have spell slots as a level 10 beguiler (6/6/6/6/5/3) or as a level 8 (6/6/6/5/3)?

JimmyDPawn
2008-02-22, 06:39 AM
Um... not really.

There's not way to get you casting ability (as in, how many spells per day, which, etc) Above your character level. Which makes sense.

Caster level just mean the number that you check when speels say things like 'Duration, 1 round / level'

Now, if you're trying to do multiclassing, and just trying to make sure your caster level is equal to you character level, that's a lot easier.

ALSO, I don't believe that the Illumian sigil boosts you CL past you character level. That's also meant for multiclassers. (So for example, an Illumian Sorc 1 Fighter 2 with Krau would have;
-spells/day and known as as a 1st level sorcerer.
-A caster level of 3, meaning that Mage Armour would last 3 hours rather than one. (as an example)

If that's more what you're looking for, then there's also a feat (Practiced Spellcaster) that bumps you CL up by 4, but only up to as much as your overall level.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-02-22, 06:45 AM
Actually, there's a way to get casting above your level: Ur priest. 9th level spells after 10 levels of a PrC rock muchly.

JimmyDPawn
2008-02-22, 06:47 AM
Ur-Priests don't count. They're an abomination against the order of things.

Both rules wise and setting wise. :P

Stormblind
2008-02-22, 06:49 AM
Yea, i was mistaken. I was trying to qualify for Mindbender prior to level 5, the easiest way of which was to be Illumnian, Sorcerer and take Draconic Heritage / Power for +3 to Caster level. Thereby allowing me to take a level of Beguiler for the skill requirements, whilst still having a Level 5 CL.
(2 sorc, 2 illumnian, 1 heritage/power). Thereby qualifying to begin the class at level 4, and continue til level 13 (which is the end point for my campaign). So i wanted to make sure i had the rules for it all correct.

Reinboom
2008-02-22, 12:53 PM
Um... not really.

There's not way to get you casting ability (as in, how many spells per day, which, etc) Above your character level. Which makes sense.

Kobolds that take the Greater Draconic Rite of Passage (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) get +1 to sorcerer level.
Not just caster level.

Also, take dragonwrought feat from Races of the Dragon (page 100), and make yourself venerable.
Dragonrought kobolds don't get aging penalties, and, (as metallic) they get 10 x charisma (note: not modifier) extra years anyways. In addition, the dragonwrought feat provides other benefits.. such as making the kobold type 'Dragon'..

Which provides another benefit, since, it allows the kobold the qualify for taking a sovereign archetype (Dragons of Eberron, page 31), specifically, the Loredrake archetype.
The kobold loses effectively nothing (the cost is it reduces all racial hit die from d12 to d10), but gains +2 sorcerer levels and spellcraft always as a class skill.

This means that a level 1 kobold can be as effective as a level 3 sorcerer. And when they get to level 6 and take the greater draconic rite of passage, they are as effective as a level 9.

---
To the OP:
White Dragonspawn from Dragons of Krynn (dragonlance) is +1 LA, and nets you +1 sorcerer level, IIRC.

Otherwise, look here (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=615672)