PDA

View Full Version : Non-Obvious superheroes: The Movie

Logic
2008-02-22, 06:59 AM
So, the title explains my intentions fairly clearly.

What Superheroes could be translated to the silver screen, and why? Any Superhero that already has their movie is automatically discounted, not to mention the big names that do not already have one, like Green Lantern (though, I admit a movie based on nearly any Green Lantern would have a great deal of potential.)

I personally would like to see Fathom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fathom_(comics)), Moon Knight (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_Knight) or even Captain Marvel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Marvel_%28DC_Comics%29).

Blayze
2008-02-22, 08:42 AM
Nextwave. It'd be what every action movie should be.

Kaelaroth
2008-02-22, 05:11 PM
Cloak and Dagger. I'd love to see that made. Or Gen 13.

kpenguin
2008-02-22, 06:11 PM
Does Deadpool count as not having a big name?

UglyPanda
2008-02-22, 06:47 PM
Green Lantern doesn't have a movie because the cost of the special effects would be insane (Though it would still be awesome). I was looking forward to Wanted, but they've changed the plot too much to be enjoyable. Captain America hasn't had a movie since the forties, and I don't think those even count.

Deadpool is making an appearance in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Sadly, he probably won't be Joe Kelly's or Fabian Nicieza's version.

kpenguin
2008-02-22, 07:09 PM
I thought Cap was getting a movie in 2009 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0458339/).

Hzurr
2008-02-22, 09:44 PM
Deadpool is making an appearance in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Sadly, he probably won't be Joe Kelly's or Fabian Nicieza's version.

Yep. They've cast Ryan Reynolds.

http://movieblog.ugo.com/index.php/movieblog/more/gambit_and_deadpool_cast_in_wolverine/

Shraik
2008-02-23, 12:09 AM
Possibility of Cloak and Dagger actually happening. Same with Doctor Strange.

Logic
2008-02-23, 12:15 AM
Green Lantern doesn't have a movie because the cost of the special effects would be insane (Though it would still be awesome). I was looking forward to Wanted, but they've changed the plot too much to be enjoyable. Captain America hasn't had a movie since the forties, and I don't think those even count.

Actually, Cap had a made-for TV-movie in the early 90s. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103923/)

And Deadpool being played by Ryan Reynolds may be alright. Not perfect, but alright.

Dalenthas
2008-02-23, 09:53 PM
Ms. Marvel.
We need more strong female leads in movies. I'd cast Amanda Tapping as Carol Danvers.

Nova might make a good movie too.
Maybe Iron Fist.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-02-23, 10:29 PM
Nextwave. It'd be what every action movie should be.
Seconded!

I, too, would also like a Green Lantern film. Especially if it's Stewart, but I'm not picky.

UglyPanda
2008-02-23, 10:54 PM
Actually, Cap had a made-for TV-movie in the early 90s. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103923/)

And Deadpool being played by Ryan Reynolds may be alright. Not perfect, but alright.
Straight to video in another country. I don't think a Captain America film counts if it isn't released in America for its premiere.

I'm just hoping Deadpool keeps his mask on for most of the film, so he has some semblance to his comic-book form. I'm guessing from the actor that he'll make at least one joke about the fourth wall.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-02-24, 03:26 AM
I could swear that there were two really crappy Cap movies that went straight to TV sometime in the 80's or 90's. Don't know why they don't seem to come up on IMDb, though.

Ah, Wiki has information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_America_in_other_media

First entry under television.

Yeah, I saw the first one once as a kid, and it was godawful. Cap deserves a real movie.

Grod_The_Giant
2008-02-24, 03:05 PM
um... not to be picky, but Cap is, in fact, a "big name." Still deserves a good movie, though.

Rama_Lei
2008-02-24, 07:04 PM
Birds of Prey? Or just a Black Canary movie...(Mmm.....)

Shadowpact or Secret Six would also be good.

Dihan
2008-02-24, 07:29 PM
The Runaways or the Great Lakes X-Men/Avengers/Whatever they call themselves right now would be fun.

Witchhunter
2008-02-25, 12:12 AM
I said this a while ago, but I would love to see a Black Panther (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Panther_%28comics%29) movie. The Black Panther is just such a cool character and he would translate very well onto the screen.

And that movie's been in production limbo for a long time. Details in the link above.

Fri
2008-02-25, 03:46 AM
The Great Lake Avengers would be nice. Somewhat a high budget version of the mystery men.

Piedmon_Sama
2008-02-25, 03:47 AM
I third Nextwave. Make it a ridiculous cartoon imitating the comic's art style, with John Dimaggio voicing The Captain and Katey Sagal as Monica Rambeau. Solid gold.

Kaelaroth
2008-02-25, 12:14 PM
The Runaways or the Great Lakes X-Men/Avengers/Whatever they call themselves right now would be fun.

They're currently the Great Lakes Initiative.

DiscipleofBob
2008-02-26, 04:42 PM
I don't really care who plays Deadpool as long as they can keep up the character, but he needs to be in either his own movie or series with Joss Whedon directing.

Heck, I'd love to see a Deadpool movie with Arcade as the villain.

Ascension
2008-02-26, 05:50 PM
Ms. Marvel.
We need more strong female leads in movies. I'd cast Amanda Tapping as Carol Danvers.

I have no clue who Amanda Tapping is, but I agree that a Ms. Marvel movie would be great. The only problem is, most comic book movies tend to start with an origin movie, and I really think a Ms. Marvel movie would be better off skipping to a later period of her career.

Dalenthas
2008-02-26, 06:01 PM
Amanda is best known for her role as Captain/Major/Colonel (she got promoted a few times) Samantha Carter on Stargate: SG-1 and now it's spinoff Stargate: Atlantis. She also hosted the show Proof Positive on the Sci-Fi channell for a while. Doing a Google Image search will show you that she has the looks to pull it off (especially Ms. M's early hair stlye, but any incarnation will do). She's also a great actress and, due to her time at Stargate, used to playing an Air Force officer.

TheEmerged
2008-02-26, 10:50 PM
The Ray. Yes, you'd have to edit it somewhat for content but if they could actually pull off the ending for the annual on screen it'd be worth it.

Superman: "Today I discovered a teenager with the power to level cities has a poster of me on his wall. There's a responsibility I don't think I'll ever be ready for."

Ray: "How do *you* handle it? The ones you can't save?"

Superman: "I was hoping to ask you."

PS238. 'Nuff said.

Amotis
2008-02-27, 05:38 PM
Same with Doctor Strange.

They already made one (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077469/).

I would say Watchmen, as I have been for years, but there's already one in the making. :smallbiggrin:

Tallis
2008-02-27, 06:07 PM
The Question could be great.
Excalibur has potential.
Nick Fury (I'm pretending that the David Hasslehoff movie doesn't exist)
Catwoman. I mean the real one.

Captain Marvel did have a movie or two in the (I think) 40s.

Edan
2008-02-27, 07:36 PM
I would give a second nod to The Question, would be fun to watch, if it had decent writing and did not just become another illuminati flick.

Green Arrow anyone? Plenty of source material to draw on and if they kept the cheese to a minimum, meaning no more than 3 or 4 trick arrows in one scene, I think it could be done well.

tahu88810
2008-02-27, 07:47 PM
two words: Squirrel Girl

'nuff said :smallsigh:

archon_huskie
2008-02-27, 08:38 PM
The sidekicks, without their mentors, not as Titans or the Outsiders.

examples
Speedy/Arsenal
Nightwing
Any of the Four Robins

Mo_the_Hawked
2008-03-04, 08:06 PM
Cap NEEDS TO ROCK! With that being said I really hope it opens with a Saving Private Ryan looking scene with a couple a guys in a trench pinned by a Mg42 trying to radio for help, then Cap come charging at the Mg.
That would be awesome, but getting back to the topic at hand.
Ooohhh, the Mike Allred drawn X-Force would be cool.

Luke Cage and Iron Fist. Done like an action version of those old Richard Pryor/Gene Wilder movies, that would rock.

Revlid
2008-03-05, 03:16 AM
Moon Knight (in his Ultimate costume)
Deadpool (which might happen, given his appearance in the upcoming Wolverine: Origins)
Cloak & Dagger (remember kids, illegal drugs give you super powers!)
Doctor Strange (not the godawful animation)

Invisible Queen
2008-03-05, 12:15 PM
The Authority. Actually I want to see a movie covering the last years of Stormwatch leading up to its death and the formation of the Authority. It might be at least as cool as a movie where the president of the United States gets told to watch his step.

And the Invisibles. Of course they already did that (http://imdb.com/title/tt0133093/), hur hur. But it would be cool to have a series of movies more directly related to the comic. Only they'd have to invent hallucinogenic film to do it justice. . .

Tekren
2008-03-23, 01:34 AM
I would like to see a Power Man movie.

NOT retro 70's blaxploitation- although that could also rock.

It could be a gritty and 'local' superhero movie, where the you could see Tony Stark too busy flying around town to help the liquor store from being knocked over. I can see it now- one blunt and strong superhero vs a seething crack trade, an arm wrestling match in an old, worn-in gym with some white guy named 'Steve' (who has a few guiding words), the reformed sex worker love interest- it could have it all.

Bonus- cheap special effects.

... should I pitch this to Marvel? Maybe go for an R rating?

Lord Galen
2008-03-25, 02:13 PM
tekren wrote:
I would like to see a Power Man movie.

NOT retro 70's blaxploitation- although that could also rock.

It could be a gritty and 'local' superhero movie, where the you could see Tony Stark too busy flying around town to help the liquor store from being knocked over. I can see it now- one blunt and strong superhero vs a seething crack trade, an arm wrestling match in an old, worn-in gym with some white guy named 'Steve' (who has a few guiding words), the reformed sex worker love interest- it could have it all.

Bonus- cheap special effects.

... should I pitch this to Marvel? Maybe go for an R rating?

I think a lot of the seventies marvel characters would resonate well with movie audiences right now, a lot of them had a considerable cache of loser chic, think defenders/champions, a couple of teams that had no real reason to exist and spent a large amount of the comic fighting each other; The Micronauts had the whole mystic space quest to find the KEYS TO THE MULTIVERSE thing going on; and of course Man-Thing.

Cause whatever knows fear, BURNS at the touch of the Man-Thing.

In fact, anything written by Steve Gerber- (Man Thing, Howard the Duck[ i know], and others i can't recall right now) would be interesting, he was out there, kinda a cheesier version of Alan Moore.

Another comic bursting with potential for conversion is Kurt Busiek's Astro City, in that it relies less heavily on insider knowledge, meaning comics fans wouldn't have to sit through a heavyhanded botching of yet another origin tale.