PDA

View Full Version : Summoning Lirian?

Half-blood
2008-02-22, 08:02 AM
So...It's a summoning spell? I'm pretty sure that a Summoning spell summons someone from another plane. and if I'm not mistaken. That's Lirian (sp?) Or someone who looks a lot LIKE (if not completely) Lirian. so, did he summon her? summon a copy? what!?

BisectedBrioche
2008-02-22, 08:06 AM
I think he left a loophole in his spell and then created a spell to take advantage of it (i.e. a summoning spell which could call Lirian to him even though she was on the same plane). Or perhaps Lirian simply found a way to get on another plane to act as a proxy.

They are both epic level magic users after all.

Wolf53226
2008-02-22, 08:16 AM
Why would you assume that all summoning has to effect something from another plane?

From the SRD:

Summoning

A summoning spell instantly brings a creature or object to a place you designate. When the spell ends or is dispelled, a summoned creature is instantly sent back to where it came from, but a summoned object is not sent back unless the spell description specifically indicates this. A summoned creature also goes away if it is killed or if its hit points drop to 0 or lower. It is not really dead. It takes 24 hours for the creature to reform, during which time it can’t be summoned again.

While Summon Monster says it summons and Extraplanar creature, Summon Natures Ally, Summon Swarm, or Summon Instrument do not say anything about coming from a different plane, and one could assume that they are just pulled from the surrounding area.

JoseB
2008-02-22, 08:23 AM
So...It's a summoning spell? I'm pretty sure that a Summoning spell summons someone from another plane. and if I'm not mistaken. That's Lirian (sp?) Or someone who looks a lot LIKE (if not completely) Lirian. so, did he summon her? summon a copy? what!?

That's definitely Lirian. SoD expounds a lot in the relationship between Dorukan and Lirian.

Just my 2 eurocent!

JoseB

Grod_The_Giant
2008-02-22, 09:11 AM
though one would think she could have teleported herself to the edge of the Cloister boundary, walk/flew (via wildshape) through, and then teleported again, but, you know, this is funnier.

FoE
2008-02-22, 02:36 PM
I wouldn't worry about it too much. The important thing here is that it's possible to utilize summoning spells for booty calls. God, I wish I had more levels in mage. :smallwink:

David Argall
2008-02-22, 04:09 PM
I wouldn't worry about it too much. The important thing here is that it's possible to utilize summoning spells for booty calls. God, I wish I had more levels in mage. :smallwink:

The magic is not in the booty call, but in acquiring the necessary "material component" for a booty call. This can take years of work, and can easily be lost if you get her mad.

Chronos
2008-02-22, 04:24 PM
Strictly speaking, by the D&D rules, both the effect which conjured Celia and that which conjured Lirian would probably both be calling effects, not summoning. Summoning gets you a sort of Platonic ideal of a creature, while calling gets you the creature itself.

Souju
2008-02-22, 04:45 PM
i'm reminded of the oft-used spell "Call of the Hero" from the game EverQuest...
more like "Call of the Booty" in this case.
anyway Call of the Hero was a spell that allowed a magician lvl 55 or higher to summon any player from within the same zone to their location.
Naturally if you know the mechanics of many uber zones in EverQuest, you realize how hugely useful this is.
and just to enforce balance, the spell is disabled in certain zones, sometimes arbitrarily and ALWAYS inconvenient, especially since they conveniently forget to block Summon Corpse :)

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-22, 11:30 PM
3 words: Epic Level Caster. And spell research. So 5 words actually.

Half-blood
2008-02-23, 12:01 AM
Well what about Here? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0277.html) I noted Panel...five? anyways. so It would be against, "the rules" for lirian to check in. so why did she?

Trazoi
2008-02-23, 12:09 AM
Well what about Here? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0277.html) I noted Panel...five? anyways. so It would be against, "the rules" for lirian to check in. so why did she?
Frankly out of the Order of the Scribble (that is the right name, right?) I think only Soon was lawful. Heck, Serini the halfling who made up the oath is implied to break it on the same comic a few panels later (by not retiring).

Hectonkhyres
2008-02-23, 12:20 AM
The magic is not in the booty call, but in acquiring the necessary "material component" for a booty call. This can take years of work, and can easily be lost if you get her mad.
I hope you mean focus rather than material component. Otherwise... lets just say that the contents of your pants just evaporated in a crackle of magical energy. The booty call becomes significantly less fun when it involves the lovely lady driving you to the emergency room.

Also, how much loving can be done in ~21 rounds? Not much, I would think.

Krytha
2008-02-23, 01:56 AM

That's actually six.

Hyrael
2008-02-23, 02:49 AM
Strictly speaking, by the D&D rules, both the effect which conjured Celia and that which conjured Lirian would probably both be calling effects, not summoning. Summoning gets you a sort of Platonic ideal of a creature, while calling gets you the creature itself.

Are you a fellow Magic, the Gathering player?

but thats right, summoning usually pulls things from another plane or whips up an ideal copy out of magic. But, this was probably a variant of that spell that summons a previously marked object, changed to work on living creatures. But yep, it seems more like a Calling. But, to summon someone is pretty much the same as calling them, in common vernacular.

ref
2008-02-26, 05:27 AM
That's actually six.But the idea is the important thing.

(Cookie for the reference-getter)

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-02-26, 06:00 AM
Are you a fellow Magic, the Gathering player?

but thats right, summoning usually pulls things from another plane or whips up an ideal copy out of magic. But, this was probably a variant of that spell that summons a previously marked object, changed to work on living creatures. But yep, it seems more like a Calling. But, to summon someone is pretty much the same as calling them, in common vernacular.In one of the splatbooks it is mentioned that if you want you can summon specific creatures repeatedly, and even gate them in and equip them, so when you summon them they have the extra gear. But this info is second-hand from another player, so I have no idea where it is or what happens when your summon dies, but it does mean that he can summon Lirian specifically.

Also, Tom Leher for the win.

Rad
2008-02-26, 07:06 AM
Then why does Xykon follows the army? he could stay in his tower and have Redcloak cast Summon Xykon whenever he's needed without ever risking death (uh, death-death... you got it).
Ok he's a lich and everything. Apply to any BBEG or even to the players (I'll send my cohort with you and then he casts this nice custom hour/level spell). As if casters couldn't be even more broken!

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-26, 09:07 AM
Then why does Xykon follows the army? he could stay in his tower and have Redcloak cast Summon Xykon whenever he's needed without ever risking death (uh, death-death... you got it).
I don't think the idea is explicitly called out in the rules, but I don't think there's any actual summoning spell that will summon a specific creature. You generally have to use a calling spell for that type of effect, and that doesn't provide the same protections as a summoning spell.

So, if that's the case, Celia is referring to both Summoning and Calling spells.

NerfTW
2008-02-26, 09:18 AM
Ok he's a lich and everything. Apply to any BBEG or even to the players (I'll send my cohort with you and then he casts this nice custom hour/level spell). As if casters couldn't be even more broken!

Because Xykon thinks he's invulnerable. He's attacked entire forts full of Paladins pre-lich, taken on a druid and a wizard without backup, caused a room full of paladins to kill themselves, and is the highest level character in the strip, assuming the remaining two guardians are dead as well.

Plus, he had no idea anyone could find his phylactery (sp?) until Soon pointed it out.

Hyrael
2008-02-26, 11:32 AM
In one of the splatbooks it is mentioned that if you want you can summon specific creatures repeatedly, and even gate them in and equip them, so when you summon them they have the extra gear. But this info is second-hand from another player, so I have no idea where it is or what happens when your summon dies, but it does mean that he can summon Lirian specifically.

Also, Tom Leher for the win.

Oh yeah...but the creature has to be extraplanar, doesnt it?

wait, where do Summon Nature's Ally creatures come from?

That might actually work. but, two problems:
Power Level. Lirian must have been at least nearly as powerfull as dorukan, and summon spells usualy give you a monster of CR a little higher than half your level. if you're lucky.

duration. 20th level casters summon spells last for 2 minutes. even extended, thats 4 minutes. not realy ver much time for...you know. well, dorukan might not mind, if he was a real jerk, but Lirian probably wouldnt be smiling like that if she knew she would only be there for 4 min, tops.

so, i'd say it has to be A INDEPENDENTLY-RESEARCHED SPELL, THAT ALLOWS YOU TO "SUMMON" (not in the conventional sense, since it requires a circle and so forth, but a special, very long summoning that requires all the fripperies) A SPECIFIC INDIVIDUAL FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME.

the_tick_rules
2008-02-26, 12:27 PM
i thought epic wizards could do anything?

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-26, 01:28 PM
Oh yeah...but the creature has to be extraplanar, doesnt it?
No it doesn't. Just has to go from point A to point B. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#summoning)

duration. 20th level casters summon spells last for 2 minutes.
Those are specific summoning spells. That does not necessarily reflect the entire subschool of Conjuration (summoning).

Creeping doom, elemental swarm, insect plague, instant summons, mount, summon instrument, secret chest, and trap the soul are all summoning spells that have durations greater than 1 round/level.

[hr]I just re-read the description of the Calling subschool, and that actually indicates a called creature as going from one plane to another. So that shoots that theory to heck.

Mauve Shirt
2008-02-26, 03:44 PM
But the idea is the important thing.

(Cookie for the reference-getter)

New Math, Tom Lehrer

From the three you then use one
To make ten ones...
(And you know why four plus minus one
Plus ten is fourteen minus one?
'Cause addition is commutative, right.)
And so you have thirteen tens,
And you take away seven,
And that leaves five...

Well, six actually.
But the idea is the important thing.

<3 :smallbiggrin:

Chronos
2008-02-26, 07:30 PM
Yeah, but now do it in base 8.

ref
2008-02-26, 08:18 PM
Prizes awarded:

Sstoopidtallkid: Lightning cookie, for being the first to recognize it.
Mauve Shirt: Honorary cookie, for typing the part of the song explicitly
Chronos: Octal cookie, of course. :smallbiggrin:

Uncle Festy
2008-02-26, 08:46 PM
Do I get a cookie for posting the animated version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXx2VVSWDMo)?

Morgan Wick
2008-02-27, 12:29 AM
Because Xykon thinks he's invulnerable. He's attacked entire forts full of Paladins pre-lich, taken on a druid and a wizard without backup, caused a room full of paladins to kill themselves, and is the highest level character in the strip, assuming the remaining two guardians are dead as well.

Plus, he had no idea anyone could find his phylactery (sp?) until Soon pointed it out.

I am now convinced that whenever we look back to Team Evil, it will be with Redcloak only.

kpenguin
2008-02-27, 12:31 AM

Xykon's higher level than... the GODS?!

RebelRogue
2008-03-01, 05:14 AM
So...It's a summoning spell? I'm pretty sure that a Summoning spell summons someone from another plane.
Nope, callings require the called creature to be from another plane. Summons do not.

NerfTW
2008-03-01, 10:44 AM
Xykon's higher level than... the GODS?!

Except the gods and the Snarl. :smalltongue: