PDA

View Full Version : Fiendish Codex II Question

Chrismith
2008-02-22, 12:32 PM
Quick question: in the Fiendish Codex II, there's a monster called the Malabranche (page 124) that has Regeneration 8 listed in its stat block, but there's no entry in its description that mentions what type of weapon bypasses the regeneration. I assume that this is an error, since the only monster I know of that doesn't take lethal damage from anything is the Tarrasque, and it makes special mention of this in its entry. Is there a correction or errata for this anywhere? Should I assume that the Malabranche's regeneration is bypassed by good-aligned weapons, like most of the other devils in the book, or should I drop it altogether?

RTGoodman
2008-02-22, 01:18 PM
I couldn't find any official errata, so I doubt they've clarified it (unless it was in some other format, like the FAQ).

I believe the Malebranche originally appeared in the MM2, so maybe it'll have an answer for you. I was thinking maybe someone at Wizards doesn't know the difference between Regeneration and Fast Healing, and it's actually supposed to be Fast Healing 8 (since FH doesn't usually have a description in the monster entry).

If that doesn't work for you, your method (it's bypassed by good-aligned weapons) seems fine.

Reinboom
2008-02-22, 02:03 PM
From the Monster Manual II update accessory:

Devil, Malebranche: Outsider; 15 ft./15 ft.; 10/good; Balance +1, Bluff +19,
Climb +13, Diplomacy +2, Intimidate +21, Jump +32, Listen +18, Move Silently
+18, Search +19, Spot +18, Tumble +20; Cleave, Flyby Attack, Great Cleave,
Improved Sunder, Multiattack, Power Attack; LA —; Gains baatezu subtype,
revised baatezu traits. Regeneration (Ex): A malebranche takes normal damage
from acid, from holy weapons, and from attacks that deal holy damage.

I would use that.