PDA

View Full Version : Jumper

Vuzzmop
2008-02-22, 10:25 PM
just saw it today. I thought it was okay, but everyone else is hammering it. What'd you guys think?

Lord Iames Osari
2008-02-22, 10:31 PM
I haven't seen it yet, but I liked the book. How different is it?

Vuzzmop
2008-02-22, 10:34 PM
It's nothing like the book, but draws on the mythology, adding other bits.

Jae
2008-02-22, 10:35 PM
It felt rushed. The second half of it, at least. And the beggining was a little..ehh..definitive?

I didn't hate it, but I wouldn't rave it either.

The actual going to the movie itself was fun though, a guy directly in front of me thought EVERYTHING was funny. Literally, every serious part he would break out in laughter. That may have been more amusing than the parts he would laugh at. Watching a friend of mine accidentally spill popcorn on a guy walking in front of us, that was pretty brilliant. :smalltongue:

And hey I DID get free coffee from this pretty flippin cute guy, so win for me. :smallwink:

Icewalker
2008-02-22, 10:40 PM
I know very little about the movie, but watched the preview and saw the homebrew template for it someone made, and it seems interesting. Didn't know it was a book. So...worth seeing? Reading? Reading after seeing so as not to be tainted by the original book?

thubby
2008-02-22, 11:11 PM
worth seeing in theaters, wouldn't buy it.
the idea is cool, the execution is alright, but it felt rushed in the end. i would have liked to see jumping used more for fighting than just moving great distances, like in the collosium, that was awesome. and i still want to know why the other jumper didn't just use a gun.

The Extinguisher
2008-02-22, 11:52 PM
It was decent. I enjoyed it, but it won't be a film to buy. Something I would have ended up renting, had it not been for Cloverfield on playing really late.

It was really rushed at the end, and was a bigger set up for a sequel then <movie with obvious sequel setup>. But I'd still say it was worth seeing.

ForzaFiori
2008-02-22, 11:57 PM
It was pretty good. at least, the parts i saw of it. (I went to see it with my gf, so i can't say i was totally fixated on the movie.) Did seem a bit rushed, though still good. The question about the gun is a good one, and the same thing could be asked about the paladins. when you have the jumper caught, why not just shoot him?

Darth Mario
2008-02-22, 11:57 PM
It wasn't bad, it was just... lacking in quality. The fight scenes were fun in theaters, but I won't buy it.

Oh yeah, also: Anakin. You have been warned.

Catch
2008-02-23, 12:00 AM
I think it accomplished its job as an action thriller. I was entertained, and not bogged down by plot exposition or characters with more than one dimension. Yes, Jumper was relatively mediocre in terms of writing and story, but I had quite a bit of fun watching it, so someone must have done their job right.

Also, I can respect a movie where someone chucks a double-decker bus.

HeinleinFan
2008-02-23, 12:02 AM
Jumper the book is definitely worth reading. The main character, David, is interesting on his own; add a little teleportation and it becomes a very exciting book. Besides, I like how he "accidently" becomes a superhero type trying to avenge the death of someone he really loves.

I haven't heard anything good about the movie. They break the book, change the plot so David is no longer really a hero, and turn the Big Evil Bad Guy from a) an abusive father, b) airplane hijackers and c) a petty corrupt cop into a) the U.S. government and b) Samuel L. Jackson.

Yeah. It's really that bad. Rottentomatoes gives it a 16% "Freshness" rating.

But the book was good. You can read an excerpt of it if you want, here: http://books.google.com/books?id=dDGGBmOnlsAC&printsec=frontcover&vq=Jumper+book+review+Gould

thubby
2008-02-23, 12:34 AM
Jumper the book is definitely worth reading. The main character, David, is interesting on his own; add a little teleportation and it becomes a very exciting book. Besides, I like how he "accidently" becomes a superhero type trying to avenge the death of someone he really loves.

I haven't heard anything good about the movie. They break the book, change the plot so David is no longer really a hero, and turn the Big Evil Bad Guy from a) an abusive father, b) airplane hijackers and c) a petty corrupt cop into a) the U.S. government and b) Samuel L. Jackson.

But the book was good. You can read an excerpt of it if you want, here: http://books.google.com/books?id=dDGGBmOnlsAC&printsec=frontcover&vq=Jumper+book+review+Gould

the U.S. government? i think he was using those badges just to get where he wanted, i don't think he was actually a U.S. agent

Vuzzmop
2008-02-23, 12:51 AM

what's your point, that its bad because it doesn't follow the book its based on? Its BASED on it, it isn't the bloody book:smallfurious: .
I also would like to point out that I found that having the hero not be a hero was a nice, realistic touch to what could have ended up as "I am Jumpman, fighting for truth, justice, and the jumpy way".

also, I would like to second Catch's argument that one must respect a movie in which a double-decker-bus is hurled through a wormhole at Samuel L Jackson. Just too cool.:smallbiggrin:

Arioch
2008-02-23, 05:41 AM
I thought the film was...okay. It was exciting in places, and teleportation is always cool, but:

1) They left too many loose ends, even for a film that blatantly plans to have a sequel (they should have wrapped up what happened to the other jumper, for instance, rather than just leaving him tied up in a pylon).
2) They rushed the end.
3) They left too many things unanswered. I mean, other films, like Cloverfield, leave things unanswered, but that was a different kind of movie. Examples include: How can they teleport? Why does teleportation damage the area around them? Why is his mother a Paladin? Why are there still Paladins?

Allow me to reiterate on this last one. In the film it was said that Paladins have been hunting jumpers since the middle ages. How? I assume that they didn't have sophisticated electro-shock weaponry in the middle ages, so how did they capture them? Why weren't most of the Paladins dropped off cliffs or left in the middle of oceans by angry jumpers? And how, exactly, were the Paladins responsible for the witch trials and heretic burnings? "I saw him, yer honour, he teleported."

EDIT: This is how I review a movie, by the way. On the number of plot holes it possesses. :smallamused:

Dispozition
2008-02-23, 06:04 AM
I saw Jumper and 3:10 to Yuma on the same day...I'd only go back and see one of them again...3:10 to Yuma...not Jumper.

It wasn't that bad of a movie, but nothing spectacular. If you have nothing better to do one Saturday evening (like me) it's worth going to I suppose, but I'd suggest The Mist or 3:10 to Yuma more...They're much better movies.

Mx.Silver
2008-02-23, 10:47 AM
what's your point, that its bad because it doesn't follow the book its based on? Its BASED on it, it isn't the bloody book:smallfurious: .
Based-on usually implies that it does, to a fair degree, follow the concepts and plot of the book. Fans of the book are quite likely to get annoyed if a film deviates widely from the source material, especially if the end results aren't particularly impressive or it 'misses the point'.

Kaelaroth
2008-02-23, 12:15 PM
I quite enjoyed it. The graphics were amazing, and the acting wasn't nearly as bad as the reviewers claimed. I felt that they only had Samuel L Jackson, because he was Samuel L Jackson. I feel that other actors could have been better in the role, and that the film could've been a bit longer to more closely examie aspects of the Jumper mythos. Overall... OK.

Gaelbert
2008-02-23, 03:09 PM
The actual going to the movie itself was fun though, a guy directly in front of me thought EVERYTHING was funny. Literally, every serious part he would break out in laughter. That may have been more amusing than the parts he would laugh at. Watching a friend of mine accidentally spill popcorn on a guy walking in front of us, that was pretty brilliant. :smalltongue:

And hey I DID get free coffee from this pretty flippin cute guy, so win for me. :smallwink:

It was more of a ninja strike than an accident. A thrifty ninja strike.

And if the jumping works the way I think it does, then the Jumpers were not using it to its full potential. If I was being chased by people who wanted to kill me, I would teleport on top of them, breaking their spine. If that didn't work, just teleport them underwater. If they didn't want to kill the paladins, and he was worried about being tracked by that machine, I would just either jump underwater before going somewhere else (which, granted, would probably kill the paladins), or jump from point A to point B, then back to point A, then from point A to point C.See if the machine can detect two wormholes on top of each other.

Arioch
2008-02-23, 05:02 PM
And another thing! The Jumping in the rest of the film suggests that momentum is conserved when jumping - a guy jumps (as in normal jumps) forward, Jumps to somewhere else, and is still travelling in that direction when he comes out. It's like the portals in Portal.

So, when he jumps off the Colosseum railing and Jumps to the pits after falling some of the way, why don't his legs break from the impulse?

The actual going to the movie itself was fun though, a guy directly in front of me thought EVERYTHING was funny. Literally, every serious part he would break out in laughter.

Yeah, I had a guy like that next to me when I was at the His Dark Materials play at the National Theatre. It sorta spoiled the grim, angsty parts of the play, like when Roger dies.

Oslecamo
2008-02-26, 06:25 PM
Good movie idea, bad realization, very bad main actor.

The other actors do their job well, but the main hero...Be it angry, happy or in love it seems to always have the same face.

And it's not the fact that he's not an hero. He's an total jerk. The other jumper saved his ass several times, teached him a few tricks, protected him from the paladins and then what pay does he receives? Ah, being left in a high tension post, thanks a lot. I'll surely save your ass next time you're in trouble.

Anyway, can someone explain me why they simply didn't try to shoot the jumpers? If they're slow enough to be caught by those electric thingies, surely they are slow enough to be shot down by bullets.

Then again, taking 1000 volts in the guts and still moving at all is quite impressive for an human being.