PDA

View Full Version : A world-fleshing-out-type-thing....

Halna LeGavilk
2008-02-22, 11:18 PM
I've edited this first post, to a general consortium of my ideas.

The Races

Humans: A proud warrior people who protect the creator of the cosmos' body. I never thought much of that extra skill point every level, so I think I mihgt give them a bonus to either strength or their BAB, not sure yet.
Humans are the only race to know how to manufacture Darwood, a wood that even after being cut, lives, so it naturally repairs itself. It always appears wet, and is extremely useful when building warships, weapons, and homes.
Elves: Two groups: Those who've gone insane and worship Kares, and those who view their brethren's fall as heresy and work to exterminate them. The Kares worshipping group would be all NPCs, but I'm thinking of a much darker group of elves for the others. I'm probably gonna give them a bonus to intelligence, and subtract something from charisma.
Ogres: A race dominated by a shrewd tribe, who controls much trade, and rather than being incredibly strong and stupid, are actually rather bright and smart. Instead of giving them levels in giant and the like, I'll make them a LA +0 race. I actually need to remake them later on.
Halflings: Halflings are nomadic traders who have no permanent settlements. They are generally considered cruel and distant, but are excellent manipulators, and are usually very direct and honest. Halflings generally keep their word. I'm gonna replace their racial bonuses to climb, jump, listen and move silently checks into intimidate, sense motive, diplomacy, and bluff. They are divided by tribal ties, but can be united in times of trouble by a King of Halflings, because prophecy states that whenever the halflings are in danger as a race, a halfling related to the ancient royal blood-line will come into power and rule till the end of the troubles, when the halfling governmental system.
Orcs: Orcs occupy the mountains south of the humans, and are considered a kind and gentle race. They get along well with every race, and are protectors of nature. I need a new build for them, preferably one with a higher charisma and with a favored class of druid. Their whole society is ruled by druids, with druids coming together once a year in a giant festival in a secret location to determine their general power, and thus place in the hierarchy.
Tritons & Dwarves: Tritons and dwarves share a very close tie, going all the way back to the beginning of the world, when the creator of the Tritons, Tira, and the creator of the dwarves, Du-mauck, were married. Dwarves and Triton teams always patrol the sea and coast, watching for the invasion of Sahuagin, who think they were denied guardianship of the TotB because the humans cheated at the beginning of time, so their mission in life is to kill the humans. The Dwarves and Tritons are essentially mercenaries hired by shipments of the Darwood, which the Tritons changed to grow underwater and the dwarves made into ships.
However, Dwarven/Triton pirates are not uncommon, and disrupt shipping to the Thousand Islands.

The Geography

Humans occupy the lands in and surrounding the Tomb of the Being, which is called Knightland, in honor of their patron god, the Gray Knight. They are generally farmers, but many of them are fighters as well, continually waging war with the elves of the giant forest Karestia. Most of the human forces are infantry, but there are two highly trained military forces that help: the Dragon Riders and the Battle Mages.
I decided that the Dragon Riders, though being a large part of the Human's cultural identity, they should not be the only part. The Battle Mages operate out of a large fortress-academy located in the TotB.
The Tomb of the Being refers not only to the tomb itself, but also an incredibly large city surrounding it. The tomb itself is a mystery, as the few who ventured in and were ever heard from again had taken their place among the gods.

Knightland is bordered on the west by Karestia, on the north by Darinta, a land of massive mountains inhabited mostly by the large, incredibly powerful ogre tribe who controls trade and and the the east by another large mountain chain, which the orcs and halflings live on, called the Teeth of Morg. Morg is the patron god of orcs. South is an enourmous sea, dotted with thousands and thousands of islands, inhabited by dwarves and tritons. These are called the Thousand Islands.
Farther west, past Karestia, is Karlinto, which is the home of the lands of the elves who wish to 'free' Karestia.Further north, above Darinta, is a medium sized desert, where strange trees, which grow miles into the air and underground, plus being several miles in diamter grow.
A race of strange ant-like creatures live there. They 'mine' and trade the valuable sap of the trees, which has amazing restorative properties. That land is known as Harloon. Surrounding that desert is a winter wonderland, only the Being knows why, populated by strange, unknown creatures. It is the farthest north explored.
To the east of the Teeth of Morg is an enourmous savannah, filled with various tribes of orcs, and small settlements of Kalinto elves and Knightland humans. It is known simply as the Savannah.

Karestia is located about 200 miles due west of the TotB, and is filled with about a hundred tribes of insane elves. These elves were corrupted when their patron god, Kares, fell to Insanity and went insane himself. These elves continually wage war with the humans of Knightland, but are continually driven back by the humanity's proud warriors. They also constantly eat away at the Karlinto elves, and if the Karlinto elves should ever fall, the Karestians would be powerful enough to conquer the human lands. Karestia is also bordered by the sea, and occaisionally, merchants from Karlinto report trading wars between the Sahuagin and the Karestians, further limiting both groups power.

Darinta is held together by a tenuous alliance of ogre traders and merchant-lords. They are generally the price setters and bankers of Gartonion, and control the valuable sap trade.

The orcs and halflings living on the Teeth of Morg wage a series of small wars, each trying to crave out an acceptable living space on them. However, they generally both distrust the ogres, after several invasion by the ogres, and can band together of necessary, with the most powerful orcish druid being of equal rank to either the Hafling King or whoever the Halflings choose as their leader.

The Thousand Islands is quite like the Caribbeans of the 17th and 18th centuries, except with guns and magic. They provide a cotton like crop that grows quite well in the tropical climate. Invasions by the Sahuagin, though swift, are often brutal, rampaging across islands before either coming to a halt or being obliterated by the dwarves, tritons, and humans working in concert.

Karlinto is a dark forest, with very little light getting to the ground. Anyone coming in feels as though they are being watched, for they are: by the elves of the Karlintan Watch, a group that protects against the Karestians. Even the slightest sign of the Insanity is enough for death. The Karlintans take no chances.

Harloon is a dry, dusty place where every hundred miles or so live on the massive Harleen trees, where the strange ant creatures live, eat, sleep, and die. Each of the trees is connected belowground by tunnels drilled by the ants, and a large trade network is open. Each tree is large enough so that 200,000 of the ant beings can live without even registering on the trees resources. The highest populations are rumored to by upwards of several million.

The Savannah is a large plain, where farms excel because of excellent soil and growing conditions, and where the growing season lasts all year round. Knightlandians have claimed a large patch, establishing themselves over a hundred small nations, collectively called the Savannah Towns. Knightlandians are not good at coming up with names. At all.
The Karlinto elves are constantly at war with the humans, mostly for the unknown magical artifacts and ruins that litter the soil. It was rumored that Gartonion used to be much more explored, and that great civilizations ruled, but fell in a Insanity invasion.

Crunch for New Races

Humans

-Medium: As medium creatures, humans have no special bonuses or penalties due to size.

-Base land speed: 30 ft.

-1 extra feat at first level, and one at 20th level.

-4 extra skill points at first level, and 1 extra skill point every level thereafter.

-+1 to attack at first level, with an additional +2 every five levels.

-Automatic language: Common. Bonus languages: Any

-+2 to ride and diplomacy checks made against dragons.

-+2 racial bonus to will saves. This improves to a +4 when made against checks for going insane.

-Favored Class: Bladesman. See "Classes of Gartonion" more information.

Elves

-+2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma

-Medium: As medium creatures, humans have no special bonuses or penalties due to size.

-Base Land speed: 30 ft.

-Climb speed: 20 ft.

-+4 racial bonus to will saves made against going insane.

-Darkvision 120 ft, and lowlight vision.

-Weapon profeciency: Elves recieve weapon profeciency for the glaive, longbow (including composite), and longsword as bonus feats.

-+2 racial bonus to Listen, Spot, Concentration, and Survival checks.

-Automatic Language: Elven. Bonus Languages: Ogre, Dwarven, and Triton.

-Favored Class: Sorceror.

Dwarves

-+2 Dexterity, -2 Wisdom

-Base Swim speed: 30 ft.

-Stability: A dwarf gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on a ship or something similer that shakes, which increases to a +6 on the ground.

-+2 racial bonus on fortitude saves against poison.

-+2 racial bonus on saves against nausea.

-+4 attack bonus against Sahuagin.

-+4 dodge bonus against Sahuagin.

-+4 bonus on Diplomacy, Sense Motive, and Bluff checks against Tritons.

-Dwarves gain Create Water as a spell like ability, as a level 4 cleric, two times per day.

-Automatic Languages: Dwarven, Triton, and Common. Bonus Languages: Ogre, Elven, Halfling.

Favored Class: Bladesman

Halflings

-+2 Charisma, -2 Strength

-Small: As a Small creature, a halfling gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.

-Base Land speed: 20 ft

-+2 racial bonus on Appraise, Diplomacy, Bluff, Sense Motive, Intimidate, and Handle Animal checks.

-+1 racial bonus on saving throws.

-+4 racial bonus to attack rolls against ogres and orcs.

-+4 Dodge bonus against ogres and orcs.

-Halflings gain Arcane Mark as a level 2 sorceror, at will, and Discern Lies as a level 4 sorceror, 4 times per day.

-Automtic Languages: Common, Halfling, Orcish. Bonus Languages: Ogre, Triton, Elven, Dwarven.

Favored Class: Rogue.

Orcs

-+2 Wisdom, -2 Intelligence

-Medium: As medium creatures, orcs have no special bonuses or penalties due to size.

-Base land speed of 40 ft

-Base Climb Speed of 30 ft

-Low light vision.

-+4 Attack and Damage bonus vs. Ogres.

-+2 Attack and Damage bonus vs. Halflings.

-+6 Racial bonus to Handle Animal and Ride.

-Gains Calm Animal and Charm Animal as a level 4 Druid

-Automatic languages: Common, Halfling, Orcish, plus a simple language that allows them to communicate with animals on a basic level(Things such as philosophy can only be expressed at the simplest of levels, such as "X is good" or "The gods protect us" can be expressed. Also, most science and hard math cannot be expressed. "1+1=2" can be, everything Algebra 1 and above cannot be). Bonus Languages: Ogre, Triton, Elven, Dwarven.

-Favored Class: Druid.

Ogres

-+2 Charisma, +2 Intelligence, -2 Dexterity.

-Large size. -1 penalty to Armor Class, -1 penalty on attack rolls, -4 penalty on Hide checks, +4 bonus on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits double those of Medium characters.

-Space/Reach: 10 feet/10 feet.

-An ogre’s base land speed is 40 feet.

-+4 Racial Bonus to Diplomacy, Sense Motive, and Bluff. +6 Racial Bonus to Intimidate.

-Automatic Languages: Common, Ogre. Bonus Languages: Halfling, Orc, Formian*.

Favored Class: Sorceror.

Tritons

-+2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution.

-Medium: As medium creatures, orcs have no special bonuses or penalties due to size.

-Base Land Speed is 20 ft.

-Base Swim Speed is 50 ft.

-Tritons can breathe underwater, and therefore are not subject to drowning except when the liquid is not oxygen based.

-Tritons have Darkvision 60 ft and low light vision

-Tritions gain a +6 racial bonus to Swim Speed, and gain also take a 10 on Swim rolls, even when threatened.

-Tritons gain racial weapon profeciency with the trident and crossbow.

-Tritons who go onto land who have been in the water for more than a month must spend one day on land getting adjusted. While getting adjusted, a Triton takes a -4 to attack, a -4 to AC, -6 to Fortitude, -4 to all skill checks, and, if he fails a DC 20 Fort save, has nausea for the day. Afterwords, he functions normally.

-All Tritons carry a horn which they may use to summon Tritons, equal up to HD/4, rounded up, per day. All the Tritons have Fighter equal to 1/2 the of the Tritons HD.

-Automatic Languages: Triton, Dwarven. Bonus Languages: Common, Elven, Halfling.

Solaris
2008-03-01, 06:56 PM
Explain more, bullet-point less. Remember, bullet points are the devil. Start putting some names to faces, like countries, predominant entities, that sort of thing. I assume the players are starting off in human-dominated territory, but what about the rest of this nigh-infinite world? Who neighbors the humans, what do they think of each other, and so forth?

Bah. You say crazy like it's a bad thing.

Don't forget how tenacious people can be. Like the Jews in Germany, they won't necessarily pick up and move just 'cause things get a little bit tight. Thus, expect some conflict over territory (even if there's an infinite amount, they still only got feet and wagons to carry them overland and hence aren't exactly eager to go find someplace else to be).

I take it this lunatic god is the flaw in the Outer Plane-shield that lets Insanity in to launch the invasion the chief god is preparing for?

Dragonriding is freakin' awesome, but bear in mind the huge ECLs involved. Looks like this is going to be an Epic-level campaign, unless you create new breeds of dragon for the hoo-mans to ride.

Halna LeGavilk
2008-03-02, 02:00 AM
Gotcha. Bullet points are evil.

Alright, I've been having some thoughts about this, mostly on the races and geography. The known material plane is generally refered to as Gartonion, and I've decided that the main races should be:
The Races

Humans: A proud warrior people who protect the creator of the cosmos' body. I never thought much of that extra skill point every level, so I think I mihgt give them a bonus to either strength or their BAB, not sure yet.
Humans are the only race to know how to manufacture Darwood, a wood that even after being cut, lives, so it naturally repairs itself. It always appears wet, and is extremely useful when building warships, weapons, and homes.
Elves: Two groups: Those who've gone insane and worship Kares, and those who view their brethren's fall as heresy and work to exterminate them. The Kares worshipping group would be all NPCs, but I'm thinking of a much darker group of elves for the others. I'm probably gonna give them a bonus to intelligence, and subtract something from charisma.
Ogres: A race dominated by a shrewd tribe, who controls much trade, and rather than being incredibly strong and stupid, are actually rather bright and smart. Instead of giving them levels in giant and the like, I'll make them a LA +0 race. I actually need to remake them later on.
Halflings: Halflings are nomadic traders who have no permanent settlements. They are generally considered cruel and distant, but are excellent manipulators, and are usually very direct and honest. Halflings generally keep their word. I'm gonna replace their racial bonuses to climb, jump, listen and move silently checks into intimidate, sense motive, diplomacy, and bluff. They are divided by tribal ties, but can be united in times of trouble by a King of Halflings, because prophecy states that whenever the halflings are in danger as a race, a halfling related to the ancient royal blood-line will come into power and rule till the end of the troubles, when the halfling governmental system.
Orcs: Orcs occupy the mountains south of the humans, and are considered a kind and gentle race. They get along well with every race, and are protectors of nature. I need a new build for them, preferably one with a higher charisma and with a favored class of druid. Their whole society is ruled by druids, with druids coming together once a year in a giant festival in a secret location to determine their general power, and thus place in the hierarchy.
Tritons & Dwarves: Tritons and dwarves share a very close tie, going all the way back to the beginning of the world, when the creator of the Tritons, Tira, and the creator of the dwarves, Du-mauck, were married. Dwarves and Triton teams always patrol the sea and coast, watching for the invasion of Sahuagin, who think they were denied guardianship of the TotB because the humans cheated at the beginning of time, so their mission in life is to kill the humans. The Dwarves and Tritons are essentially mercenaries hired by shipments of the Darwood, which the Tritons changed to grow underwater and the dwarves made into ships.
However, Dwarven/Triton pirates are not uncommon, and disrupt shipping to the Thousand Islands.

The Geography

Humans occupy the lands in and surrounding the Tomb of the Being, which is called Knightland, in honor of their patron god, the Gray Knight. They are generally farmers, but many of them are fighters as well, continually waging war with the elves of the giant forest Karestia. Most of the human forces are infantry, but there are two highly trained military forces that help: the Dragon Riders and the Battle Mages.
I decided that the Dragon Riders, though being a large part of the Human's cultural identity, they should not be the only part. The Battle Mages operate out of a large fortress-academy located in the TotB.
The Tomb of the Being refers not only to the tomb itself, but also an incredibly large city surrounding it. The tomb itself is a mystery, as the few who ventured in and were ever heard from again had taken their place among the gods.

Knightland is bordered on the west by Karestia, on the north by Darinta, a land of massive mountains inhabited mostly by the large, incredibly powerful ogre tribe who controls trade and and the the east by another large mountain chain, which the orcs and halflings live on, called the Teeth of Morg. Morg is the patron god of orcs. South is an enourmous sea, dotted with thousands and thousands of islands, inhabited by dwarves and tritons. These are called the Thousand Islands.
Farther west, past Karestia, is Karlinto, which is the home of the lands of the elves who wish to 'free' Karestia.Further north, above Darinta, is a medium sized desert, where strange trees, which grow miles into the air and underground, plus being several miles in diamter grow.
A race of strange ant-like creatures live there. They 'mine' and trade the valuable sap of the trees, which has amazing restorative properties. That land is known as Harloon. Surrounding that desert is a winter wonderland, only the Being knows why, populated by strange, unknown creatures. It is the farthest north explored.
To the east of the Teeth of Morg is an enourmous savannah, filled with various tribes of orcs, and small settlements of Kalinto elves and Knightland humans. It is known simply as the Savannah.

Karestia is located about 200 miles due west of the TotB, and is filled with about a hundred tribes of insane elves. These elves were corrupted when their patron god, Kares, fell to Insanity and went insane himself. These elves continually wage war with the humans of Knightland, but are continually driven back by the humanity's proud warriors. They also constantly eat away at the Karlinto elves, and if the Karlinto elves should ever fall, the Karestians would be powerful enough to conquer the human lands. Karestia is also bordered by the sea, and occaisionally, merchants from Karlinto report trading wars between the Sahuagin and the Karestians, further limiting both groups power.

Darinta is held together by a tenuous alliance of ogre traders and merchant-lords. They are generally the price setters and bankers of Gartonion, and control the valuable sap trade.

The orcs and halflings living on the Teeth of Morg wage a series of small wars, each trying to crave out an acceptable living space on them. However, they generally both distrust the ogres, after several invasion by the ogres, and can band together of necessary, with the most powerful orcish druid being of equal rank to either the Hafling King or whoever the Halflings choose as their leader.

The Thousand Islands is quite like the Caribbeans of the 17th and 18th centuries, except with guns and magic. They provide a cotton like crop that grows quite well in the tropical climate. Invasions by the Sahuagin, though swift, are often brutal, rampaging across islands before either coming to a halt or being obliterated by the dwarves, tritons, and humans working in concert.

Karlinto is a dark forest, with very little light getting to the ground. Anyone coming in feels as though they are being watched, for they are: by the elves of the Karlintan Watch, a group that protects against the Karestians. Even the slightest sign of the Insanity is enough for death. The Karlintans take no chances.

Harloon is a dry, dusty place where every hundred miles or so live on the massive Harleen trees, where the strange ant creatures live, eat, sleep, and die. Each of the trees is connected belowground by tunnels drilled by the ants, and a large trade network is open. Each tree is large enough so that 200,000 of the ant beings can live without even registering on the trees resources. The highest populations are rumored to by upwards of several million.

The Savannah is a large plain, where farms excel because of excellent soil and growing conditions, and where the growing season lasts all year round. Knightlandians have claimed a large patch, establishing themselves over a hundred small nations, collectively called the Savannah Towns. Knightlandians are not good at coming up with names. At all.
The Karlinto elves are constantly at war with the humans, mostly for the unknown magical artifacts and ruins that litter the soil. It was rumored that Gartonion used to be much more explored, and that great civilizations ruled, but fell in a Insanity invasion.

That is all I have for now.
And how the heck did you find this?

Pronounceable
2008-03-02, 06:34 AM
A face for your BBEG.

http://www.rebeccamorse.com/img/delirium-and-her-fishie.jpg

This is Delirium, the youngest of the Endless. Delirium, this is Halna.

Halna LeGavilk
2008-03-02, 10:43 PM
Interesting. I was thinking more of a god-turned-Uvuudum, but that works too.

Halna LeGavilk
2008-03-05, 12:40 AM
Alright, here are my new races for Gartonion.

Humans

-Base land speed: 30 ft.

-1 extra feat at first level, and one at 20th level.

-4 extra skill points at first level, and 1 extra skill point every level thereafter.

-+1 to attack at first level, with an additional +2 every five levels.

-Automatic language: Common. Bonus languages: Any

-+2 to ride and diplomacy checks made against dragons.

-+2 racial bonus to will saves. This improves to a +4 when made against checks for going insane.

-Favored Class: Bladesman. See "Classes of Gartonion" more information.

Elves

-+2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma

-Climb speed: 20 ft.

-+4 racial bonus to will saves made against going insane.

-Darkvision 120 ft, and lowlight vision.

-Weapon profeciency: Elves recieve weapon profeciency for the glaive, longbow (including composite), and longsword as bonus feats.

-+2 racial bonus to Listen, Spot, Concentration, and Survival checks.

-Automatic Language: Elven. Bonus Languages: Ogre, Dwarven, and Triton.

-Favored Class: Sorceror.

Dwarves

-+2 Dexterity, -2 Wisdom

-Base Swim speed: 30 ft.

-Stability: A dwarf gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on a ship or something similer that shakes, which increases to a +6 on the ground.

-+2 racial bonus on fortitude saves against poison.

-+2 racial bonus on saves against nausea.

-+4 attack bonus against Sahuagin.

-+4 dodge bonus against Sahuagin.

-+4 bonus on Diplomacy, Sense Motive, and Bluff checks against Tritons.

-Dwarves gain Create Water as a spell like ability, as a level 4 cleric, two times per day.

-Automatic Languages: Dwarven, Triton, and Common. Bonus Languages: Ogre, Elven, Halfling.

Favored Class: Bladesman

Halflings

-+2 Charisma, -2 Strength

-Small: As a Small creature, a halfling gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.

-Base Land speed: 20 ft

-+2 racial bonus on Appraise, Diplomacy, Bluff, Sense Motive, Intimidate, and Handle Animal checks.

-+1 racial bonus on saving throws.

-+4 racial bonus to attack rolls against ogres and orcs.

-+4 Dodge bonus against ogres and orcs.

-Halflings gain Arcane Mark as a level 2 sorceror, at will, and Discern Lies as a level 4 sorceror, 4 times per day.

-Automtic Languages: Common, Halfling, Orcish. Bonus Languages: Ogre, Triton, Elven, Dwarven.

Favored Class: Rogue.

That's all for now, I'll add ogres, orcs and tritons later.

Neftren
2008-03-05, 10:00 PM
Interesting... but the "insane" factor does kind of limit plot lines and backstories a tad bit. I like to use the mad scientist card a lot... and it'd kinda limit some flaws... but interesting. Keep working on it. I sure am slaving away on my own setting... :smallbiggrin: . Erm, not really. But whatever.

Solaris
2008-03-07, 12:27 AM
And how the heck did you find this?

iLurk.
Alrighty. Judging by the patchwork geography, it seems the gods hold a great deal of influence over their territory, yes? Fleshing out a pantheon that has squabbles beyond the fight against Insanity might be a good idea (especially if you're interested in continuing this for more than one campaign, or making the one campaign more complex), such as a winter god going up against a desert goddess, a summer god fighting a forest god, that kind of thing.
In Unearthed Arcana, it mentions the Insanity stat similar to that of the Call of Cthulu game. I take it you're going to use that to simulate the threat of Insanity working its way into the adventurers?

Halna LeGavilk
2008-03-07, 04:03 AM
iLurk.
Alrighty. Judging by the patchwork geography, it seems the gods hold a great deal of influence over their territory, yes? Fleshing out a pantheon that has squabbles beyond the fight against Insanity might be a good idea (especially if you're interested in continuing this for more than one campaign, or making the one campaign more complex), such as a winter god going up against a desert goddess, a summer god fighting a forest god, that kind of thing.
In Unearthed Arcana, it mentions the Insanity stat similar to that of the Call of Cthulu game. I take it you're going to use that to simulate the threat of Insanity working its way into the adventurers?

Yeah, the fighting gods thing is basically what I was going for. When I wrote the backstory for this campaign, the gods were born essentially as brothers and sisters (in fact, three of them are brothers, who were raised as gods), and they will have their squabbles.

On that note, I do have the general ideas of the pantheon laid out, but making one god, not to mention a pantheon, is incredibly hard.

I think I will use an insanity stat, but once it gets to a certain level, the character will gain a homebrewed template that gives it certain bonuses and penalties.
Here are my thoughts:

Every time a character comes across a situation which demands a sanity check, they must roll a will save. If they fail, they lose an amount of sanity points equal to the number they lost by.

Sanity points are generated at character creation, and are essentially (Int modifier+Wis modifier+Will modifier(minimum of 3))x10. A number of sanity points are gained every level equal to (Int modifier+Wis modifier). This is only base Wis and Int. Temporary and bonuses from magical items or any non-permanent substance are not included.

Well, I've got to finish my races. Here we go:

Orcs

-+2 Wisdom, -2 Intelligence

-Base land speed of 40 ft

-Base Climb Speed of 30 ft

-Low light vision.

-+4 Attack and Damage bonus vs. Ogres.

-+2 Attack and Damage bonus vs. Halflings.

-+6 Racial bonus to Handle Animal and Ride.

-Gains Calm Animal and Charm Animal as a level 4 Druid

-Automatic languages: Common, Halfling, Orcish, plus a simple language that allows them to communicate with animals on a basic level(Things such as philosophy can only be expressed at the simplest of levels, such as "X is good" or "The gods protect us" can be expressed. Also, most science and hard math cannot be expressed. "1+1=2" can be, everything Algebra 1 and above cannot be). Bonus Languages: Ogre, Triton, Elven, Dwarven.

-Favored Class: Druid.

Ogres

-+2 Charisma, +2 Intelligence, -2 Dexterity.

-Large size. -1 penalty to Armor Class, -1 penalty on attack rolls, -4 penalty on Hide checks, +4 bonus on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits double those of Medium characters.

-Space/Reach: 10 feet/10 feet.

-An ogre’s base land speed is 40 feet.

-+4 Racial Bonus to Diplomacy, Sense Motive, and Bluff. +6 Racial Bonus to Intimidate.

-Automatic Languages: Common, Ogre. Bonus Languages: Halfling, Orc, Formian*.

Favored Class: Sorceror.

Tritons

-+2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution.

-Base Land Speed is 20 ft.

-Base Swim Speed is 50 ft.

-Tritons can breathe underwater, and therefore are not subject to drowning except when the liquid is not oxygen based.

-Tritons have Darkvision 60 ft and low light vision

-Tritions gain a +6 racial bonus to Swim Speed, and gain also take a 10 on Swim rolls, even when threatened.

-Tritons gain racial weapon profeciency with the trident and crossbow.

-Tritons who go onto land who have been in the water for more than a month must spend one day on land getting adjusted. While getting adjusted, a Triton takes a -4 to attack, a -4 to AC, -6 to Fortitude, -4 to all skill checks, and, if he fails a DC 20 Fort save, has nausea for the day. Afterwords, he functions normally.

-All Tritons carry a horn which they may use to summon Tritons, equal up to HD/4, rounded up, per day. All the Tritons have Fighter equal to 1/2 the of the Tritons HD.

-Automatic Languages: Triton, Dwarven. Bonus Languages: Common, Elven, Halfling.

That's all for races today.

Interesting... but the "insane" factor does kind of limit plot lines and backstories a tad bit. I like to use the mad scientist card a lot... and it'd kinda limit some flaws... but interesting. Keep working on it. I sure am slaving away on my own setting... . Erm, not really. But whatever.

How? I really don't see how it would limit plotlines at all. Or backstories.

A good plotline:
Kares has been killed, and the Karestians have been cleansed of their insanity, but not until after the Karlintans have unleashed a disease/spell that makes a insane person sane again. It backfires, and rampages across Karlinto, doing the opposite of it's intention. Massive amounts of elves are lost before it spreads east into Karestia, and Northeast into Darinta. Can the PCs stop this epic disease/spell before all of Gartonion has gone insane, or will they fall to the disease themselves?

A good backstory:
Long ago, Bob's family, a group of wealthy merchants, was bringing their fortune to their new home in northern Knightland, when a group of Karestian elves came down from the nearby forest and slaughtered everyone except Bob. This mentally scarred Bob, who has trouble controlling himself around elves, wanting to avenge his family, regardless of whether they are Karestian or Karlintan: All elves are to blame, and all are to suffer equally.

*I am going to use Formians as the basis of the creatures who live in the desert.

Halna LeGavilk
2008-03-08, 12:17 AM
I've made a general map of Gartonion, with two changes:
There is a passage that links Knightland to the Savannah, and there are two provinces that Darinta is disputing with the Savannah and Karlinto.
Map of Gartonion (http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh175/Halna_LeGavilk/MapofGartonion-1.jpg).

Halna LeGavilk
2008-03-19, 12:41 AM
Alright, I've got my basic pantheonic setup, and here it is:

It's a very loose pantheon (in more ways than ways than one).

The Grey Knight-Eldest of the Gods
Divine Rank of 19
HD: Ftr 31/Rog 20/Wiz 40/Out 30
Paragon Template
Lawful Neutral

The Grey Knight is the leader of the gods, and commands the respect, if not the undying love and devotion, of all creatures on Gartonion, except, of course, for the Insane Ones.

The Three Brothers

The three brothers are gods, who, according to legend, gained their godhood after defeating an army of the Insane, holding them off long enough for reinforcements to arrive. They were granted entrance to the TotB, and gained godhood.

Johnathan-God of War and Chaos
Divine Rank of 16
HD: Ftr 20/Unrelenting Survivor*10/Bar 20/Rgr 20/Sor 30
Chaotic Good

Johnathan's creed of war is to never hurt civilians, but use ambushs, traps, and other round-a-bout methods of fighting.

Harald-God of War and Magic
Divine Rank 16
HD: Cleric 30/Archmage 5/Sorc 35/Ftr 20
True Neutral

Harald's creed of war is to use magic whenever possible.

Xarton-God of War and Law
Divine Rank 16
Ftr 20/Unrelenting Survivor 10/Blackguard 20/Rgr 20/Wiz 30
Lawful Evil

Xarton's creed of war is to go out on the battle field, and kill your enemy. Then, go and burn down their cities, destroy their crops, plunder, etc. But, do so in an orderly fashion. Make sure that all plunder is accounted for, all buildings burned down, etc.
In fact, Xarton's cleric-generals devised a very good system for this.

That's all I have for now.