PDA

View Full Version : Stats on a Pygmy Elephant?

batsofchaos
2008-02-23, 12:43 AM
I'm prepping for a session, and wouldn't you know it but the island my party's headed for is the perfect climate type for pygmy elephants. I've misplaced my MM somewhere in the decrepit mess that is my house, and the SRD does not have an entry for them. Does anyone know if there actually is an entry for pygmy elephants in the MM that would warrant me digging for it?

If not, what would you say would be a good base animal to modify into one?

Worira
2008-02-23, 12:49 AM
Uh... The elephant, maybe?

Reinboom
2008-02-23, 12:51 AM
Elephant, reduce the size category, and reduce a few hit die from it (like, 3 maybe).
Should do...

If you need to know a monster exists, (or really, anything)
Consolodated Lists (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/tools) on wizards helps.

batsofchaos
2008-02-23, 01:01 AM
Uh... The elephant, maybe?

But an elephant is CR 7, a pygmy elephant would be more like 1 or 2 at the most. We're talkin' an elephant that's tallest at 6 1/2 feet at the shoulder, with an average at closer to 5 1/2. They are also tuskless, so no gore attack. They couldn't trample really, because they'd be a medium-sized animal. Basically all of the stats for an elephant in the SRD need to be drastically changed. The animal that springs to mind for the mod job would be a pony, except that a pony is spindly in comparison to an elephant.

EDIT: I checked the consolidated list, and no pygmy elephant listed.

Admiral Squish
2008-02-23, 01:11 AM
But an elephant is CR 7, a pygmy elephant would be more like 1 or 2 at the most. We're talkin' an elephant that's tallest at 6 1/2 feet at the shoulder, with an average at closer to 5 1/2. They are also tuskless, so no gore attack. They couldn't trample really, because they'd be a medium-sized animal. Basically all of the stats for an elephant in the SRD need to be drastically changed. The animal that springs to mind for the mod job would be a pony, except that a pony is spindly in comparison to an elephant.

EDIT: I checked the consolidated list, and no pygmy elephant listed.

So diddle about with an elephant's stats until you get something about right.

tyckspoon
2008-02-23, 01:24 AM
Perhaps a Boar? Switch the Gore attack for a Slam or other appropriate attack form (Hooves? Although I can't really see an elephant deliberately foot-stomping things.) and take out Ferocity and you have a decently strong and tough Medium creature.

Squash Monster
2008-02-23, 04:54 AM
Lower the elephant's hit dice by 8, use the monster size increases table in reverse to drop it to Large size, and remove the gore attack.

That's should be roughly CR 4. You could lower the size again, but I'm pretty sure this animal is bigger than a horse, and those are Large.

Keep the trample: the creature should be large, and even if it isn't then the trample just doesn't work on most of the party. There's no reason you need to be big to have trample: trample works on anything a size category smaller than you or more.

Tetsubo 57
2008-02-23, 07:29 AM
So if you were to take it down one size step from Huge to Large, would the CR be a 5? I'm thinking of a "riding" elephant sort of an idea.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-02-23, 12:53 PM
d20srd.org (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#sizeIncreases) on size changes. Just reverse it.