PDA

View Full Version : Warlock PRC?

Admiral Squish
2008-02-23, 04:20 AM
Okay, so I'm joining a new campaign. My character is a CG dromite warlock, ECL 10. Now, I'm looking at the other people, and I see lots of good uses of prestige class. However, looking over the rules for warlock prestige-qualifying, I can't see anything that really jumps out at me as good and still works for warlocks. I'm looking for something mostly-blasty, with some utility mixed in, perhaps? Where's the warlock support? Even complete arcane is barren of warlock-based support. Can anyone tel me where I can find some good PRCs? Or even half-decent feats?

Zincorium
2008-02-23, 04:25 AM
Complete Mage is pretty much invaluable for playing a warlock. It's got both PrCs for warlocks and new invocations.

That said, any PrC which has the prerequisite of 'arcane caster level X' warlocks can qualify for by having that many levels of warlock. Unfortunately, they don't qualify for any class which requires being able to cast a particular level of spells. That cuts out a lot of them.

Yami
2008-02-23, 04:42 AM
I really think the sorcerer/warlock hybrid class, or the divine based one, are probably the best bet for a decent PrC

MammonAzrael
2008-02-23, 05:08 AM
There are, to my knowledge, four PrCs designed specifically for the Warlock. Eldritch Disciple, Eldritch Theurge, and Enlightened Spirit are in Complete Mage, and Hellfire Warlock is in Fiendish Codex II: Tyrants of the Nine Hells.

I'd suggest you look at the Warlock Optimization thread on the WotC boards. I'd give you a link, but the forums are down at the moment.

There are also several homebrew PrCs for the Warlock on the Homebrew forum.

Admiral Squish
2008-02-23, 05:52 AM
Complete Mage, you say? I must make some moolah first, says I. I don't suppose any of these are available online anywhere? I'll have to go stop by my D&D supply place and give it a once-over.

Kurald Galain
2008-02-23, 06:13 AM
Complete Mage, you say? I must make some moolah first, says I. I don't suppose any of these are available online anywhere? I'll have to go stop by my D&D supply place and give it a once-over.

Hellfire warlock (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20061207a&page=3).

Eldritch Theurge is essentially a Mystic Theurge, but arcane/warlock rather than arcane/divine.

Eldritch Disciple is essentially an Ultimate Magus, but divine/warlock rather than prepared/spont. Yes, that means you get to enter it as a cleric 3 / warlock 1.

Starbuck_II
2008-02-23, 09:19 AM
Okay, so I'm joining a new campaign. My character is a CG dromite warlock, ECL 10. Now, I'm looking at the other people, and I see lots of good uses of prestige class. However, looking over the rules for warlock prestige-qualifying, I can't see anything that really jumps out at me as good and still works for warlocks. I'm looking for something mostly-blasty, with some utility mixed in, perhaps? Where's the warlock support? Even complete arcane is barren of warlock-based support. Can anyone tel me where I can find some good PRCs? Or even half-decent feats?

Wild Mage is decent. Level 6 Wild Mage gives immunity to being scryed (nondetection if fail caster check), confusion, and insanity. The +1d6 caster is great for Wall of perilous Flame (not alot of caster level invocations though).
You can offset any loss of caster with Practiced Spellcaster that Wild mage gives (giving you -0 +1d6).

Swooper
2008-02-23, 11:11 AM
Wild Mage is decent. Level 6 Wild Mage gives immunity to being scryed (nondetection if fail caster check), confusion, and insanity. The +1d6 caster is great for Wall of perilous Flame (not alot of caster level invocations though).
You can offset any loss of caster with Practiced Spellcaster that Wild mage gives (giving you -0 +1d6).
Wow. I never realised Practiced Spellcaster works for Wild Mages. Awesome, must pick that up with the wild mage I play in a game that's on hiatus currently...

Starbuck_II
2008-02-23, 11:51 AM
Wow. I never realised Practiced Spellcaster works for Wild Mages. Awesome, must pick that up with the wild mage I play in a game that's on hiatus currently...

This was backed up the FAQ. They say, you choose the way that feats apply the benefit.
So you apply PS after you lost caster than add the new bonus.

brian c
2008-02-23, 11:55 AM

I'm not familiar with Wild Mages, but let's not forget that Practiced Spellcaster raises your Caster Level by 4, up to your character level. If really only makes sense to take it if

1) you're multiclassing
1a) you're a theurge-type build
2) you're a partial caster (and even then, the benefit isn't all that great)

Swooper
2008-02-23, 12:13 PM
I'm not familiar with Wild Mages, but let's not forget that Practiced Spellcaster raises your Caster Level by 4, up to your character level. If really only makes sense to take it if

1) you're multiclassing
1a) you're a theurge-type build
2) you're a partial caster (and even then, the benefit isn't all that great)
Wild mage, for the record, lowers your CL by 3 when you take the class. Then, every time you cast a spell, you roll 1d6, and add the result to your CL.