PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some advice

Rothkal
2008-02-23, 02:46 PM
Ok, I'm finally getting back into DnD after more than a year off. I'm joining the local gamers group here at the college I attend and got lucky to get in on a game early on. The setting is an ancient Egypt sort of setting, starting out with us as a caravan guard for some royalty. For the game, no books or abilities are banned, ed. 3.5.

Now, the other members of the party are a Rogue, a Gnoll Barbarian/Ranger, a Druid with a fleshraker companion (who was taking down the stats of a bunch of Dinosaurs to transform into when I met him, I expect him to dominate the group), a caster who's taking levels in some prestige class (I think the class name was "sand heretic" or something to that effect, never got a good look at the book), and a NPC wizard. We're starting the campaign at lvl 10, using 5d6 drop 2 for stats.

For myself, I'm fairly certain I'm going to be a wizard, however my experience with them is rather lacking. I read up in the core book about them and I understand the basics and about the spells, however at this time I have access to only the core book. One of the others in the group will be giving access to his books on Wednesday to build the character with, but I'm not sure what to go with. I don't know what kind of spells or specialties there are outside of core. I'd like to focus on offensive spells, but not anything cheesey. So my question to those who have read through all this is, what would you suggest to go with for spells and feats?

LibraryOgre
2008-02-23, 03:09 PM
Actually, looking at party composition and location, I wouldn't suggest a wizard.

I'd go cleric of Ra (or insert name of solar deity here).

You're in Ancient Egypt. I would lay goldfish to gold pieces you're going to run into Undead, and lots of them. A cleric of Ra, with the Sun and Glory Domains, is going to have a lot of options for utterly TRASHING undead. You'll also fill a good slot in the party that no one else is (i.e. you have a wizard, a fighter, and a druid. You have no skill monkey or cleric), rather than duplicating one (you're close to the druid, but odds are, he's going to be a melee-type).

You'll get your fill of offensive spells. You'll be so offensive, they'll rename you Morton Downey Jr. However, you'll also be well-suited to a campaign in ancient Egypt.

BTW, look here: http://www.d20srd.org/ That's most of the basic rules for D&D. The Sun domain is in your PH, but the Glory domain is here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/domains.htm#gloryDomain). You'll note the spells you get make you powerful against undead, but NOT a one-trick pony.

EDIT: I just looked at the OP; a sand heretic isn't necessarily a wizard.