PDA

View Full Version : Genetics Survey

Amotis
2008-02-23, 10:24 PM
Hey people, just wondering if you could help me out with a little homework here.

So question 1: When holding your thumb up is it straight or bent?

Question 2: When placing your thumb over interlaced fingers, hold your own hands basically, does your left thumb go over your right one or your left one go over your right?

Question 3: Can you or can't you roll your tongue?

Question 4: Do you have attached ear lobes?

Help me continue to be anti-social and answer please! :smallamused:

Mauve Shirt
2008-02-23, 10:28 PM
1. Straight
2. Left over right
3. Yes
4. No

Cobra_Ikari
Hey people, just wondering if you could help me out with a little homework here.

Question 2: When placing your thumb over interlaced fingers, hold your own hands basically, does your left thumb go over your right one or your left one go over your right?

1) Straight.

2) Right over left.

3) Can.

$) No.

SpiderMew
1) Left hand stright, right hand bent

2) Left thumb on top

3) I can roll my tounge

4) Attached

Raider
1. bent
2. left over right
3. Can
4. yes

Hope it helps!

SMEE
1) Bent
2) Right over left
3) I can roll my tongue
4) No, I don't.

Syka
So question 1: When holding your thumb up is it straight or bent? Bent, a lot, I'd say the first joint is at a 45+ degree angle to the rest of the thumb (I am evidently creepily flexible. I've weirded more than one person out when sitting in positions that are prefectly comfortable for me, and my toes and spread really far. I never realized this as strange until I was sitting with the soles of my feet touching on a bed and my boyfriend goes "...that's comfortable?" Then he asked how far I could lean down while sitting like that. I was able to go completely flat. He was in shock.)

Question 2: When placing your thumb over interlaced fingers, hold your own hands basically, does your left thumb go over your right one or your left one go over your right? Right thumb over my left thumb

Question 3: Can you or can't you roll your tongue? I can

Question 4: Do you have attached ear lobes? Unattached FTW, I think...

Lilly
2008-02-23, 10:29 PM
Okay, I'll bite, I had to do the same biology survey ages ago.

1: bent
2: left over right
3: can roll tongue
4: unattached ear lobes

Lord Blace
2008-02-23, 10:31 PM
A1: Bent.

A2: Left over right.

A3: Yes, I can roll my tongue.

A4: No.

Jae
2008-02-23, 10:32 PM
Straight I think? =/

Left over right.

I can.

Yes.

Kyace
2008-02-23, 10:33 PM
Answer 1: Thumb Bent
Answer 2: Left Thumb on top
Answer 3: I can roll my tongue
Answer 4: They are unattached

First name is Steven.

Raistlin1040
2008-02-23, 10:33 PM
1: Straight
2: Right over left.
3: I can roll my tongue.
4: Unattached I think.

Amotis
2008-02-23, 10:42 PM
Okay, I'll bite, I had to do the same biology survey ages ago.

Would you mind helping me a bit then? I'm confused on how to convert the survey into a punnett square because there are possible genotypes for each trait. Like I know straight thumb in dominant but it could be TT or Tt, so which one would I put in the punnett square?

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-02-23, 10:53 PM
1. Bent.
2. Left over right.
3. I can.
4. Yes.

The Extinguisher
2008-02-23, 11:13 PM
1) Very bent
2) Left over right
3) Yes
4) No

Also, you missed that weird paper one.

Aereshaa_the_2nd
2008-02-23, 11:21 PM
1. Bent.
2. Left over right.
3. I can.
4. No.

Edan
2008-02-23, 11:31 PM
Would you mind helping me a bit then? I'm confused on how to convert the survey into a punnett square because there are possible genotypes for each trait. Like I know straight thumb in dominant but it could be TT or Tt, so which one would I put in the punnett square?

This is hard because you are only seeing the expressed phenotype of the trait, not the genetic genotype. Mendelian dominant traits are expressed whether they are heterozygous or homozygous dominant, and that is all you have to work with. Also, all those traits you listed are Mendelian, so the math is generally simplified for ease of use. Let me use an example. Say 4/20 people say then can not roll their tongue. The ratio here is 1:4, since I assume you are working with 2x2 punnett squares, there is only one way to get an outcome of 1:4, and that is crossing TtxTt and getting homozygous recessive (tt). Like wise, if ratios are higher, like 16/20 or 3:4, that is obtainable by crossing TtxTt and getting results of TT, Tt, Tt, tt. But if you cross TT and tt, there is only one outcome (Tt), same for crossing two homozygotes with a like partner (TTxTT OR ttxtt).

It all comes down to ratios and working backwards and checking ratios, if a ratio approaches 1:1 that Mendelian trait is likely to be homozygous dominant (TT) (or recessive if a dominant trait is not present within the allele pool) within your sample size. I tried to simplify this without going into summation equations or more complicated algebra and I hope this helps. Also, just be sure to take into account that the data can potentially be flawed, but I hope this directs you in the right direction.

Also:

1: Straight Bent, I misunderstood the question., I have hitchhiker's thumb and proud of it.
3: I can not roll my tongue (I know this one is recessive.)
4: Detached Lobe

if it helps, I can also taste that really nasty chemical they put on paper, it will likely come up soon.

Vaynor
2008-02-23, 11:31 PM

Straight.

Left over right.

Can't.

Attached.

Midnight Son
2008-02-23, 11:32 PM
Straight

Left over right

I most definitely can.http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/Dwarf71/Smileys/Flirt.gif

Attached to what? They're certainly not floating in a bowl of jelly.That means "No."http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/Dwarf71/Smileys/lol.gif

Baras
2008-02-23, 11:33 PM
1) Bent
2) Left over right
3) Yes
4) Yes

LightWraith
2008-02-23, 11:35 PM

1) Looks pretty straight to me.
2) Left over right.
3) I think so? That's just making the sides touch right?
4) Attached

North
2008-02-23, 11:40 PM
Straightish.... maybe a tilt?

Neither. Mine are side by side

Nope

Nope

UglyPanda
2008-02-23, 11:41 PM
1) Bent slightly forward
2) Left, but I don't know if that's genetic
3) Yes
4) Attached

Reinboom
2008-02-23, 11:56 PM
1: Bent (and double jointed!)
2: Right over Left
3: Can roll
4: No, I think

KingGolem
2008-02-24, 12:06 AM
1) Bent
2) Right over Left
3) Yes
4) Yes

B-Man
2008-02-24, 12:13 AM
Help me continue to be anti-social and answer please! :smallamused: Sure thing Amotis. :smallcool:

Question 1: When holding your thumb up is it straight or bent?
Bent.

Left over right.

Yes.

No.

Hope that was useful.

skywalker
2008-02-24, 12:45 AM
1. They're straight.
2. My right thumb goes over my left naturally, but I do both about equally.
3. I can roll my tongue.
4. I have very, very attached earlobes. They nearly don't exist.

Paragon Badger
2008-02-24, 01:01 AM
1. Straight
2. Left
3. Can't.
4: No

I've got two different eyebrows too, does that count? :smalltongue:

thubby
2008-02-24, 01:10 AM
1)bent
2)left thumb on top
3)yes
4)no

Kedami
2008-02-24, 01:14 AM

A1: I'm guessing by this you mean "Does it go to a 90 degree angle". If so, no.

A2: Left over Right, which is weird because I heavily favour the right side of my body.

A3: Yes, I can.

A4: I think I know what you mean, but still a little unsure. I'm pretty sure it is a no.

rubakhin
2008-02-24, 01:21 AM
1. Bent.

2. Right over left.

3. Can.

4. Nope.

FoE
2008-02-24, 01:24 AM

1) Bent.
2) Right over left.
3) Yes.
4) No.

Semidi
2008-02-24, 01:33 AM

Q1) Bent
Q2) Left over Right
Q3) I can roll it
Q4) Not attached

Ganurath
2008-02-24, 01:43 AM
1. Left bent, right straight.
2. Left over right.
3. I can't.
4. Not attached.

Darkantra
2008-02-24, 02:12 AM
1) Bent
2) Left over Right
3) I can
4) Unattached

Hope this helps.

Nibleswick
2008-02-24, 02:17 AM
1)The right one is straight the left one is however I want it to be because it is double jointed in three places (but we'll say straight)

2)Left over right

3)Can

4)Not attached

Gaelbert
2008-02-24, 02:46 AM
1. Bent
2. Left
3. No
4. Attached

Jayngfet
2008-02-24, 03:02 AM
1. bent backwards

2. left over right

3.yes

4.no

Zaragon
2008-02-24, 03:10 AM
1. My right one is bent, my left one is straight. I blame years of turning wrenches as a hobby (my right index finger isn't straight anymore either).
2. Left over right.
3. Can't.
4. Detached.

Rare Pink Leech
2008-02-24, 11:04 AM
1) My thumbs bend.

2) My left thumb goes on top.

3) I can roll my tongue.

4) My earlobes are attacked.

Dragonrider
2008-02-24, 11:10 AM
Straight. But the base is double-jointed so that part's a little weird. :smalltongue:

right over left (I'm a lefty)

Can and proud of it

attached

Eita
2008-02-24, 11:39 AM
1. Bent
2. Left over right
3. Like this..? (yes)
4. Unattached.

Quincunx
2008-02-24, 12:00 PM
I shy away from the sociological/psychological class surveys since we are all here for sharing a common ground. However, this is biology, and probably a less homogenous sample than you could have gotten in real life.

1. Straight
2. Right over left
3. Yes
4. Unattached

Revlid
2008-02-24, 12:07 PM
1. Bent, I think.
2. Right over Left.
3. Can't. It is freakishly long, however.
4. Yes.

Trog
2008-02-24, 12:13 PM
Straight.
Right.
No.
No.

Which one is the Thumb again? :smallconfused:
Er... Trog can't answer the second without help on the first one. :smallannoyed:
Yuppers.
Trog doesn't have ears. :smallfrown:

Rockstrel
2008-02-24, 12:28 PM
Ah yes.

1. Bent
2. Right over left (repeated a few times juust to make sure)
3. Yes indeed I can
4. Attatched

I feel like part of the group now :smallsmile:

Eksar Lindisfar
2008-02-24, 12:31 PM
1)Bent
2)left over right
3)yes
4)unattached

Kaelaroth
2008-02-24, 12:34 PM
1. Bent.
2. Left Over Right.
3. Can.
4. Attached.

BlackStaticWolf
2008-02-24, 01:38 PM

I thumbs bend at almost 90 degree angles. More than one person as thought my thumb was broken. I don't mean freakish... I mean... "Holy **** dude, your thumb is broken!"

My pinky toes also appear to bend towards my other toes rather than down. Upon seeing this, more than one person as thought THEY were broken too.

Right over left.

I cannot. I make up for it by being very good at... other things. If you catch my drift. :smallwink:

I'm referring to my gourmet palette, you perverts!

I'm... not actually entirely sure what that means. I study law, not lobes. Could someone please explain?

blackfox
2008-02-24, 01:39 PM

Help me continue to be anti-social and answer please! :smallamused:Question 1: Straight
Question 2: Left over right (and I'm right-handed, if it matters)
Question 3: I can
Question 4: Yes

SpiderMew
2008-02-24, 01:41 PM
I'm... not actually entirely sure what that means. I study law, not lobes. Could someone please explain?

THe bottom part of the ear, where rings are usualy peirced into, are they attached to your head.

BlackStaticWolf
2008-02-24, 01:53 PM
THe bottom part of the ear, where rings are usualy peirced into, are they attached to your head.

Well, I knew what lobes are... I was just thinking... "Attached to what? The rest of the ear? How would it work if they weren't?" And then I started visualizing some sort of freak with earlobes that just float in the air next to his ears.

And then I decided that my literalism was stupid and that I should just ask. And then I decided to eat a cookie. And all was well with the world once again.

So, to answer the question, attached.

BizzaroStormy
2008-02-24, 02:55 PM
Bent
Left over right
yes
no

Shas aia Toriia
2008-02-24, 02:57 PM

1. Bent
2. Right over left
3. No sirree
4. You bet.

Zombie pixe
2008-02-24, 03:01 PM
So question 1: When holding your thumb up is it straight or bent? Strait

Question 2: When placing your thumb over interlaced fingers, hold your own hands basically, does your left thumb go over your right one or your left one go over your right? Left over Right

Question 3: Can you or can't you roll your tongue? Can roll

Question 4: Do you have attached ear lobes? Unattached

Aramil Liadon
2008-02-24, 03:20 PM
1. Very bent
2. Left over right
3. Yes, and I can flip it upside down too!
4. No

This is a good idea. Statistics in the Playground!

Kantur
2008-02-24, 03:31 PM
1. Left bent, right straight.

2. Right over left

3. Yes

4. Nope.

Gorbash Kazdar
2008-02-24, 03:32 PM
1. Straight
2. Left over right
3. Can roll
4. Attached

wxdruid
2008-02-24, 03:35 PM
So question 1: When holding your thumb up is it straight or bent?, my thumb naturally curves

Question 2: When placing your thumb over interlaced fingers, hold your own hands basically, does your left thumb go over your right one or your left one go over your right? right over left

Question 3: Can you or can't you roll your tongue? I can form my tongue into a roll, my daughter can turn her tongue over

Question 4: Do you have attached ear lobes? no

sickler
2008-02-24, 04:18 PM
Since there seems to be some misinterpretation in the first question, the straight/bent is in relation to the thumb itself, not it's orientation from the hand.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x1/desyncer/thumbs-up.jpg

1. Straight
2. Left over right
3. Yes
4. Detached

Maroon
2008-02-24, 05:00 PM
This is hard because you are only seeing the expressed phenotype of the trait, not the genetic genotype. Mendelian dominant traits are expressed whether they are heterozygous or homozygous dominant, and that is all you have to work with. Also, all those traits you listed are Mendelian, so the math is generally simplified for ease of use. Let me use an example. Say 4/20 people say then can not roll their tongue. The ratio here is 1:4, since I assume you are working with 2x2 punnett squares, there is only one way to get an outcome of 1:4, and that is crossing TtxTt and getting homozygous recessive (tt). Like wise, if ratios are higher, like 16/20 or 3:4, that is obtainable by crossing TtxTt and getting results of TT, Tt, Tt, tt. But if you cross TT and tt, there is only one outcome (Tt), same for crossing two homozygotes with a like partner (TTxTT OR ttxtt).

It all comes down to ratios and working backwards and checking ratios, if a ratio approaches 1:1 that Mendelian trait is likely to be homozygous dominant (TT) (or recessive if a dominant trait is not present within the allele pool) within your sample size.Wait. Are we really suggesting for the people here to perform test-crosses? I don't know if the Punnett square even applies here. Doesn't it assume you're getting offspring? I don't think you can use those ratios in populations -- in fact, I'm pretty sure you can't, since I've been studying genetics for the past two months.

The way you usually predict how many are homozygous dominant and how many heterozygous is by assuming there's a Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium (having a ratio of p^2:2pq:q^2 where p and q are allelic frequencies). I can look up the exact procedure sometime if you want me to.

As for the survey:
1. Bent.
2. Left thumb over right thumb.
3. I never knew what they meant by that one. Does that mean I can't?
4. Attached.

Edan
2008-02-24, 08:15 PM
You are correct. I just saw "punnett square" and went straight for individual offspring, which is what I associate punnett square with. (And made myself look dumb in the process.) HW equilibrium can be called "the punnett square" for populations. (see table below)

However, since TT and Tt are indistinguishable , being complete dominance (I think), it makes things a bit more complicated. To estimate q, we just need to take the square root of the frequency of aa (see table below.) then bring the formula back into correct form. That would give you an approximation of the Aa frequency. Hopefully, that would show you just where to assign your values. Finally, check it with chi squared for deviation. I want to do this little project now, sounds like fun.

I guess I was thinking individuals instead of realizing it was a population related question. You can use a punnett square for HW, this is what it would look like:

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/1859/hwpci2.png
I had to borrow this table from wiki. (http://imageshack.us) :smallfrown:

Also: I called my mother, and got her info.

Bent
Right Over Left
Yes to Tongue Roll
Detached Lobe

and my brother:

Bent
Right over left
Yes to Tongue Roll
Detached Lobe

(PS, does someone have a link of where I can learn to make tables within the forum?)

Brickwall
2008-02-24, 08:43 PM
1. Straight
2. I have actually trained myself to do both naturally to spite people who use that as a test for the "main hand", but the way I used to do it naturally was left over right.
3. I can both ways.
4. I wish, but no.

My physical gene expression may be fairly typical, but as you can see, my brain is completely mutated. If that helps your survey at all.

hap_hazard
2008-02-24, 08:50 PM
1. Straight
2. Left over right
3. Yes
4. Yes

ForzaFiori
2008-02-24, 08:57 PM
1) bent
2) right over left
3) yes
4) no

i actually had to do something like this for biology a couple days ago. except we also had straight or bent pinkies, mid-digit hair, six fingers, and something else

Skippy
2008-02-24, 09:06 PM

1. Bent
2. Left over right
3. I can
4. Yes

MisterSaturnine
2008-02-24, 09:18 PM
1. Straight.
2. Left over right.
3. Can't.
4. Nope.

Shades of Gray
2008-02-24, 09:23 PM

1: Straight:
2: Left over right
3. Yes
4. (what do you mean, I have ear lobes on my ears, however they are flexible if that's what you mean)

Dragonrider
2008-02-24, 09:30 PM
1: Straight:
3. Yes
4. (what do you mean, I have ear lobes on my ears, however they are flexible if that's what you mean)

For all those who are confused on the attached earlobe thing... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earlobe)

see the little diagram with the two ears on it.

Hope that clears stuff up.

ZombieRockStar
2008-02-24, 10:26 PM
1. Bent...like, 90° bent backward. I'm weird.

2. Right/Left.

3. I can, easily.

4. Nope. Floppy.

EmeraldRose
2008-02-24, 10:32 PM
1) straight
2) left over right
3) can
4) yes

Em Blackleaf
2008-02-24, 10:37 PM
1: Bent
2: Right over left
3: Yes, I can

Haruki-kun
2008-02-24, 11:07 PM
1: Sorta bent.

3: Can't, sorry.

4: No.

H. Zee
2008-02-25, 02:27 AM
1) Straight
2) Right over left
3) Can
4) Yes

Icewalker
2008-02-25, 02:31 AM
1: Straight

3: Yes

mercurymaline
2008-02-25, 02:35 AM
1. Bent
2. Left over right
3. Can
4. Yes

Charity
2008-02-25, 03:54 AM
Question 1: Straight
Question 2: Left over right (and I'm right-handed, if it matters)
Question 3: I can't
Question 4: Free, so free in fact I have a spare

Castaras
2008-02-25, 08:35 AM
Question 1: Bent

Question 2: Left thumb go over right one

Question 3: No

Question 4: No

valadil
2008-02-25, 12:20 PM
1. Way bent. Roughly 90 degrees. With a little force from my other hand I can bend my thumb back to touch my wrist.

2. Right over left. For the record I'm right handed and left eyed.

3. Tongue rolls quite well.

4. Big floppy detached earlobes.

Other traits just for the hell of it include a lack of widow's peak, slight webs between digits, and overall but not extreme double jointedness

Emperor Demonking
2008-02-25, 12:32 PM
1. Straight
2. left over right
3. Yes
4. Attached.

dish
2008-02-25, 12:32 PM
1. Umm...slightly curved? Probably more bent than straight.

2. Could anyone provide an illustration for this one, as I'm not quite sure I understand? If I 'shake hands' with myself it's right-over-left. If I interlace my fingers ('here is the church, here is the steeple...) it's left-over-right.

3. Yes.

4. Yes, very attached.

AtomicKitKat
2008-02-25, 12:40 PM
1. Straight. Assuming you meant thumbs up hand signal.

2. Right over left. Can consciously switch.

3. Usually roll every which way except fold the outer edges under.

4. I have lobes, so I guess unattached except by what's needed to keep them from being free-floating.:smallwink:

Diva De
2008-02-25, 01:18 PM

1 - bent
2 - left on top
3 - yes I can
4 - yes

Pinnacle
2008-02-25, 10:06 PM
1. Bent
2. Left
3. Yes
4. No

Samiam303
2008-02-26, 12:38 AM
1. Bent

2. Left over Right

3. Yes, I can

4. Unattached

SadisticFishing
2008-02-26, 12:41 AM
1. Bent
2. Left goes over
3. Yes.
4. Unattached.

Hell Puppi
2008-02-26, 01:22 AM

Bent, top part is straight, bottom part is out

Left over right

can

Unattatched

Eakin
2008-02-26, 01:26 AM
Bent
Right over Left
yes
yes

SilentNight
2008-02-27, 09:53 AM

1:straight
2:left over right
3:no
4:yes

Telonius
2008-02-27, 11:00 AM
Straight. But the base is double-jointed so that part's a little weird. :smalltongue:

right over left (I'm a lefty)

Can and proud of it

attached

Same answers as mine, including the double-jointed thumb. Are we related somehow? :smallbiggrin:

Ranna
2008-02-27, 11:24 AM
erm my thumb doesnt go up completely straight it kind of tilts?

my right goes over my left

I can roll my tounge

and I have attached earlobes - no flapping in the wind for meeeee!

Ego Slayer
2008-02-27, 11:35 AM
Oh, hai Am... :smalltongue:

1. Straight.
2. Left over right.
3. Nope.
4. Attached.

CrazedGoblin
2008-02-27, 11:51 AM
1. Straight
2. Left over right
3. Yes
4. No

Mc. Lovin'
2008-02-27, 01:39 PM
So question 1: Bent

Question 2: Left over Right

Question 3: Can

Question 4: I assume so, I dont really understand what the question means here :smallredface:

KindaChang
2008-02-27, 01:47 PM
Bent
Right over left
Can roll my tongue
Not connected.

Apelord: Are you A or B? (I'm A, which is not connected earlobes)

http://www.windows.ucar.edu/earth/Life/images/earlobes.jpg

Thiel
2008-02-27, 03:16 PM
1: It bends 90 degrees backwards at the middle joint.

3: Yes

4: Yes