PDA

View Full Version : Vestiges: Orthos?

Maerok
2008-02-23, 11:27 PM
Does Orthos's powers really fit an 8th level vestige (along with having the highest bind DC)? It seems rather underpowered, except for the displacement part.

CockroachTeaParty
2008-02-23, 11:47 PM
Compared to Halphax, Orthos does seem a little unimpressive. However, a level 20 binder using the whirlwind breath does 20d6 damage, and can also blast people over, which seems like a pretty useful ability when faced with mobs of enemies.

The displacement would be nice if it were impossible to overcome, but 'true seeing' renders it useless, as does blindsight. 30 ft. blindsight for yourself is nice, though.

I don't really know... His presentation is pretty sweet, thought. Very creepy. The supernatural breeze blowing around you is classy, and one of the more subtle signs of any vestige...

SadisticFishing
2008-02-23, 11:53 PM
Displacement is very, very good. The breath weapon is rather good too, bind Ipos and the DC and damage go up. Whispering Wind is kinda... Meh. All in all, he's decent.

Orthos is only "okay" too though, if you want to be really versatile. At the moment I'm playing a level 11 Binder (zomg my favorite character, ever), and Paimon and Zceryll (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070718) have been my favorite. The level doesn't seem to matter THAT much.

By the way, Ashardalon (everyone's favorite Red Dragon) is a new 8th level vestige in Dragon Magic, worth checking out.

Maerok
2008-02-24, 12:15 AM
Hmm. I'm hopefully playing a binder in my next game.

What I'd like to end up with at level 20 is:
Eurynome - One-handed Large +3 anarchic adamantine warhammer
Savnok - +4 heavy fortification full plate
Andras - Heavy warhorse; Improved Critical, or Power Critical
Eligor - More power in the saddle, +5 natural armor

But the beauty of it is that I can be a battlelord Monday and a master of knowledge Tuesday.

I might end up a Scion of Dantalion along with that alien vestige (the WotC one previously linked) and Karsus.