PDA

View Full Version : Pompey, offspring of Lirian and Durokan

paladinofshojo
2008-02-24, 12:01 AM
Just a quick question, after seeing episode 532, I'm just wondering if the "cross-breeding" between the epic leveled PCs could have created the backstory of a certain half-elf. Think about it, Durokan and Pompey are both wizards, while ear-boy is clearly a half-elf. So doesn't it seem to add up..............Durokan (human wizard) + Lirian (elf druid)= Ear-Boy (half-elf wizard)

Kish
2008-02-24, 12:05 AM
Yes. There has only ever been one human/elf couple in the history of OotS.

Seriously, I'm not going to say this is impossible, but "X and Y are physically able to be the parents of Z, therefore they are!" doesn't strike me as at all Rich's style. I believe the time frame also doesn't add up.

Spelling chek
2008-02-24, 12:06 AM
By George you're on to something...

Oh and Kish, it's kinda like how Thog and Therkla are both half-orcs therefore they're siblings.

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-24, 01:16 AM
This is a horrible idea that was already posted in a thread yesterday.

brian c
2008-02-24, 01:19 AM
This seems better suited for this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73341)

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-24, 01:25 AM
This seems better suited for this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73341)

Ummmm, you've linked to this thread

mikeejimbo
2008-02-24, 01:35 AM
Why is it such a bad idea? It's a valid theory, just as likely as some I've heard.

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-24, 01:39 AM
Why is it such a bad idea? It's a valid theory, just as likely as some I've heard.

Because the ages are so different.

The Extinguisher
2008-02-24, 01:57 AM
How are these ages "so different"

Jayngfet
2008-02-24, 02:54 AM
Pompey said he's like 50something, and he wasn't there when dourkan and liran died, nor was he aware of it..

Odds are with gate guarding and oath to make look like they were being upheld, he prolly grew up in an orphanage if that's true.

factotum
2008-02-24, 05:26 AM
popey said he's like 50something, and he wasn't there when dourkan and liran died, nor was he aware of it

He actually said he was 43, and since he also hated elves, one might assume he wouldn't care much if Lirian died, even she was his mother. She might also never have told him who his father was!

Note I don't really believe Pompey is Lirian and Dorukan's child...just pointing out that how much he cared about their deaths shouldn't really make any difference.

NerfTW
2008-02-24, 11:07 AM
Nope, 43 would put him in EXACTLY the right age range.

Intriguing.

BobTheDog
2008-02-24, 01:52 PM
Nope, 43 would put him in EXACTLY the right age range.

Intriguing.

Not really. I point to this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0277.html) as evidence that the Order of the Scribble was around WAY more than 50ish years ago.

Look at the last crayon picture.

When Shojo was just a boy (80 years ago), a very old Soon (so, likely some 40ish years after they stopped adventuring) came to him.

Of course, Lirian is an elf, and Dorukan might have some epic magic mojo to keep himself alive longer than Soon, but that's still close to a century of extra time he'd need to get.

Doran
2008-02-24, 02:10 PM
Just using the comic, the age factor is possible, but

Sod Spoilers
SoD states Lirian died about 27 years before the start of the comic, and Dorukan a year before. Timeline here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35936)

Thus it is possible, but it would be odd if the Giant went through SoD without even hinting at it.

PirateMonk
2008-02-24, 02:25 PM
Not really. I point to this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0277.html) as evidence that the Order of the Scribble was around WAY more than 50ish years ago.

When Shojo was just a boy (80 years ago), a very old Soon (so, likely some 40ish years after they stopped adventuring) came to him.

I'm not sure; in SoD (the following is not really spoilers, but just in case):

Redcloak, 30 years before the comic begins, says that the rifts were still around 35 years ago.

factotum
2008-02-24, 03:05 PM

Just one slight problem there...if you look at the strip right before that one, Shojo explicitly states that Soon Kim lost his wife to the Snarl 66 years ago. His adventuring to "bottle up" the Snarl obviously started AFTER that point. We have to assume Shojo is younger than he looks; the only evidence we have that he's 80-plus actually comes from Roy's offhand comment that he hadn't "bisected any unarmed octogenarians recently", and Roy may not have known Shojo's true age.

Morgan Wick
2008-02-24, 03:10 PM
Just one slight problem there...if you look at the strip right before that one, Shojo explicitly states that Soon Kim lost his wife to the Snarl 66 years ago. His adventuring to "bottle up" the Snarl obviously started AFTER that point. We have to assume Shojo is younger than he looks; the only evidence we have that he's 80-plus actually comes from Roy's offhand comment that he hadn't "bisected any unarmed octogenarians recently", and Roy may not have known Shojo's true age.

Alternately, Rich mangled the math.

factotum
2008-02-25, 07:08 AM
If you start ascribing things to author error then you can prove anything you like. For instance, I could say that Rich was wrong when he said Shojo was a fourteenth level aristocrat and there's nothing anyone can say to prove me wrong. Therefore I think we have to stick to what's actually written in the strip where we can!

Greg
2008-02-25, 08:20 AM
Was Shojo stated as being venerable anywhere? That would make him 70 at least.

FujinAkari
2008-02-25, 08:26 AM

I see nothing in venerable's definition (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Venerable) stating that it means at least 70...

Laurentio
2008-02-25, 08:32 AM
I see nothing in venerable's definition (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Venerable) stating that it means at least 70...
In AD&D terms, obviously. As this is a AD&D comic.

Laurentio

FujinAkari
2008-02-25, 08:42 AM
In AD&D terms, obviously. As this is a AD&D comic.

No it isn't, its a D&D 3.5 comic... and I am unfamiliar with Veritable being a term in D&D... a quick glance at the index shows no entry for it...

I'm confused!

factotum
2008-02-25, 11:00 AM
No it isn't, its a D&D 3.5 comic... and I am unfamiliar with Veritable being a term in D&D... a quick glance at the index shows no entry for it...

There isn't an entry for Veritable, that's true. There is one for Venerable, though:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/description.htm#age

(See the "Aging Effects" table at the above link).

The gF
2008-02-26, 07:43 PM
Pompey has red hair. Neither Lirian nor Dorukan had red hair.

By simple genetics, blond (for Lirian) is recessive and brown (Dorukan) is dominant.

Lirian could only offer a recessive blond gene for hair, and Dorukan COULD have offered a recessive red gene for hair-- in which case his hair would have been strawberry blond, most likely. Not crimson.

It's a silly notion with silly reasoning behind it.

Qov
2008-02-26, 07:44 PM
Pompey has red hair. Neither Lirian nor Dorukan had red hair.
Ah but by Elf genetics, red hair is not recessive.

The gF
2008-02-26, 07:46 PM
Ah but by Elf genetics, red hair is not recessive.

In which case, Lirian's hair would have been red if she was contributing a dominant red hair gene.

Edmundog
2008-02-26, 08:30 PM
In which case, Lirian's hair would have been red if she was contributing a dominant red hair gene.

Maybe Dorukan had a recessive red hair gene that was made dominant by Lirian's elf genetics. HA.

The Extinguisher
2008-02-26, 08:50 PM
Given that we're talking about the offspring of a human and and elf, two very different species, then I think it would be best to leave out all biology.

Also, because we have characters with blue hair, that it apparently natural.

Best not to kill any catgirls (or whatever biology kills)

Red XIV
2008-07-03, 11:39 AM
Yes. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0266.html)

Which means the Order of the Scribble's adventure starting a mere 66 years prior to the current storyline seems to produce a plothole.

SPoD
2008-07-03, 12:30 PM
Yes. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0266.html)

Which means the Order of the Scribble's adventure starting a mere 66 years prior to the current storyline seems to produce a plothole.

No, it doesn't, even if you assume that Hinjo's use of the word "venerable" means the D&D definition.

If Shojo is 70 (exactly), then he was 4 years old when Soon began adventuring for to seal the rifts. There is little evidence for how long the Order of the Scribble actually adventured together; all we know is they had "years" of resentment, which may have only been two years of active adventuring. Soon already had grey hair when Serini drew him in the diary BEFORE the gates were built, so it may have only been as little as, say, four years between that moment and when he appeared with white hair to give command over to Shojo's dad. That would make Shojo only 10 years old in that picture, still young enough to be drawn as a child.

As for the Pompey thing, I find it a fairly ridiculous idea. Pompey was 43 when he first appeared, but was characterized as a teenager—developmentally equal to Roy's 16-year-old sister. Lirian died 27 years ago, when Pompey would have been 16—or about the equivalent of a 6-year-old human! Where was he during SoD then? Are we to believe that Lirian and Dorukan had a young child that they did not mention, did not fear for, did not make any indication whatsoever regarding?

Come on. Not every character needs to be related to every other character. Half-elves are a playable race in D&D, there's no reason to think they would be uncommon. Even if Lirian and Dorukan had a child, it isn't Pompey.

Kurald Galain
2008-07-03, 12:53 PM
Oh, come on! That's such a cliche, even for this comic! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0397.html)

dehro
2008-07-04, 04:05 AM
Maybe Dorukan had a recessive red hair gene that was made dominant by Lirian's elf genetics. HA.

I know a red-haired kid whose parents don't have red hair (nor does the postman, if that's what you're getting at)

Ninja
2008-07-04, 04:57 AM
I know a red-haired kid whose parents don't have red hair (nor does the postman, if that's what you're getting at)

what about the neighbours? or maybe some biker that was passing through the city at the time? are you sure he is not adopted? :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

EponymousKid
2008-07-04, 05:40 PM
Wasn't that a little too long ago? I mean, yeah, Pompey's like 30, but didn't Xykon kill Dorukan forever ago?

T-O-E
2008-07-04, 06:52 PM
By this logic, Pompeii should (could would be a more apropriate word) be the abandoned off-spring of V and his human mate.

Zone
2008-07-04, 07:10 PM
oO

What if Dorukan was V's* human mate? And Lirian V's sister/aunt/mother/whatever?! :O

*I'm not saying V is woman or anything, there's gender changing magic in D&D after all.

brilliantlight
2008-07-04, 09:22 PM

Then both parents carry a red haired gene, since it is recessive it wouldn't show.

Trizap
2008-07-05, 12:40 AM
Just a quick question, after seeing episode 532, I'm just wondering if the "cross-breeding" between the epic leveled PCs could have created the backstory of a certain half-elf. Think about it, Durokan and Pompey are both wizards, while ear-boy is clearly a half-elf. So doesn't it seem to add up..............Durokan (human wizard) + Lirian (elf druid)= Ear-Boy (half-elf wizard)

*smacks paladin upside the head*

Pompey, red hair, Lirian, yellow hair, Dorukan tan hair, Pompey is 43, the ages don't add up. hair doesn't add up

that and, its simply too crazy. to out there

FujinAkari
2008-07-05, 12:58 AM
Pompey is 43, the ages don't add up. hair doesn't add up

I'm getting a bit tired of seeing this. While I agree that it didn't happen, Lirian was killed 27 years ago, which certainly allows her to have given birth to Pompey 16 years before her death.