PDA

View Full Version : Divine Arcanist PrC

mikeejimbo
2008-02-24, 12:04 AM
Time to time, a spellcaster will find themselves finding religion. Most of these continue along their normal path, but doing it in the name of their god. Some, however, follow their religion further, and gain some of the power of the Clerics.

Entry Requirements:
Special: Must be devoted to a god and have performed a service in the deity's name.
Alignment: Within one step of your deity.
Skills: Knowledge (Religion) 4 ranks, Knowledge (Arcana) 8 ranks
Spells: Able to cast 3rd level arcane spells

HD: d4
Skill Points: 2 + Int mod
Class skills: Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int)

Divine Arcanist
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Devotion|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Divine Learning|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Domain Access|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Applied Theology|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Divine Learning|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Focus Mastery|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Turn/Rebuke Undead|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6|Divine Learning|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|Divine Material|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Spontaneous Converting, Divine Learning|+1 level of existing spellcasting class [/table]

Devotion: At first level, the Divine Arcanist must acquire a holy symbol of the god to whom he is devoted. He must also decide whether he will channel positive energy or negative energy. If he is good-aligned, or neutral and devoted to a good god, he channels positive energy. If he is evil-aligned, or neutral and devoted to an evil god, he channels negative energy. If he is neutral and devoted to a neutral god, he must choose one. This cannot change. The Divine Arcanist must remain within one step of his deity's alignment, or he loses all class features and can no longer cast Divine spells until he atones.

Divine Learning: At 2nd level, and every three levels thereafter, and a bonus at 10th level, the Divine Arcanist may learn a Divine spell from the Cleric spell list up to the highest level he can cast. To learn this spell, he must spend an hour in supplication, at the end of which she must make a Knowledge (Religion) check, DC 10 + Spell level, or he will be unable to learn that or any Divine spell for 24 hours. She gets no bonuses for it being in her specialized school. The spell takes up a normal spell slot, but when it is cast, it is cast as a Divine spell and does not suffer from Arcane Spell Failure.

Domain Access: At 3rd level, the Divine Arcanist chooses a single domain which his deity grants. He does not get access to those spells, but he does get access to the granted power, substituting his caster level for any reference to Cleric Level.

Applied Theology: At 4th level, the Divine Arcanist may apply metamagic to a spell that changes it from Arcane to Divine. It takes up a slot three levels higher, and the Holy Symbol acts as a Divine Focus that replaces any material component or arcane focus costing up to 500gp. It is also not subject to Arcane Spell Failure.

Focus Mastery: At 6th level, the Divine Arcanist may use her Holy Symbol as a Divine Focus in any arcane spell she casts. It counts as any Arcane Focus worth up to 1000gp.

Turn/Rebuke Undead: At 7th level, the Divine Arcanist may turn undead (if he channels positive energy) or rebuke undead (if he channels negative energy) as a Cleric half his caster level.

Divine Materials: At 9th level, the Divine Arcanist may substitute her holy symbol as a Divine Focus in place of any material components worth up to 100gp in any arcane spell she casts.

Spontaneous Converting: At 10th level, the Divine Arcanist may convert any uncast spell into any Cure spell (if he channels positive energy) or any Inflict spell (if he channels negative energy). He can do this even if he does not know Cure or Inflict spells.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could definitely see changing the gold values of the items the Holy Symbol replaces. Other than that, what do you think? Is the general idea good, and such?

mikeejimbo
2008-02-25, 10:50 AM
Made some edits due to suggestions from friends. Specifically the capstone is better.

Mando Knight
2008-02-25, 11:33 AM
You may want to be a little more consistent with the example caster's gender: in some cases while describing the class features, you spontaneously switch from the caster being "she" to "he."

Other than that, it looks interesting, to say the least...

Lakoda
2008-02-25, 02:59 PM
I could definitely see changing the gold values of the items the Holy Symbol replaces. Other than that, what do you think? Is the general idea good, and such?

yes, but I don't think I can be of much help here. However, Applied Theology is a metamagic feat that you more or less give as a free ability (though only for less gp value) at higher levels (i.e.: Focus Mastery & Divine Materials) which with the exception of expensive spells makes Applied Theology useless...especially given the +3 spell level hit. The +3 seems a bit high to me when all your getting is no ACP. Also, you aren't giving an ability at first level, which is fine (I guess) but it seems odd to me. Finally, the entry requirement of +8 k(arcana) seems alright but the +4 k(religion) seems too low...but I guess it balances with the tough requirement of performing a service in the deity's name.

Some food for thought. I thought this was very well done!
~~Lakoda~~

mikeejimbo
2008-02-25, 04:32 PM
You may want to be a little more consistent with the example caster's gender: in some cases while describing the class features, you spontaneously switch from the caster being "she" to "he."

Other than that, it looks interesting, to say the least...

I did that to avoid sexism in the description. I tried to remain consistent within each ability, though I may have failed there.

yes, but I don't think I can be of much help here. However, Applied Theology is a metamagic feat that you more or less give as a free ability (though only for less gp value) at higher levels (i.e.: Focus Mastery & Divine Materials) which with the exception of expensive spells makes Applied Theology useless...especially given the +3 spell level hit. The +3 seems a bit high to me when all your getting is no ACP. Also, you aren't giving an ability at first level, which is fine (I guess) but it seems odd to me. Finally, the entry requirement of +8 k(arcana) seems alright but the +4 k(religion) seems too low...but I guess it balances with the tough requirement of performing a service in the deity's name.

Some food for thought. I thought this was very well done!
~~Lakoda~~

Yeah, the idea was that it wouldn't actually remain useful. I'm considering dropping that to a +2 spell level increase. The ranks may be a bit low, considering they can get into this class at 6th level, but it is really better for them to go into it at a later level, so they'll get higher level spells from Divine Learning.

Mando Knight
2008-02-25, 04:46 PM
Divine Learning: At 2nd level, and every three levels thereafter, and a bonus at 10th level, the Divine Arcanist may learn a Divine spell from the Cleric spell list up to the highest level he can cast. To learn this spell, she must spend an hour in supplication, at the end of which she must make a Knowledge (Religion) check, DC 10 + Spell level, or he will be unable to learn that or any Divine spell for 24 hours. She gets no bonuses for it being in her specialized school. The spell takes up a normal spell slot, but when it is cast, it is cast as a Divine spell and does not suffer from Arcane Spell Failure.

Focus Mastery: At 6th level, the Divine Arcanist may use her Holy Symbol as a Divine Focus in any arcane spell he casts. It counts as any Arcane Focus worth up to 1000gp.

Searched through the class features, and I only found two instances of the spontaneous gender switch, but they bothered my a lot more when I read it the first time. I understand the "I want to avoid sexism" thing, but I doubt many spells require the caster to switch genders halfway through (except, you know, a cross-gender Polymorph or something like that...).

Isn't Eschew Materials a Metamagic feat that only knocks the spell up one level in return for dropping the materials? Or am I misunderstanding how Metamagic feats (or just that one) work?

mikeejimbo
2008-02-25, 09:07 PM
Searched through the class features, and I only found two instances of the spontaneous gender switch, but they bothered my a lot more when I read it the first time. I understand the "I want to avoid sexism" thing, but I doubt many spells require the caster to switch genders halfway through (except, you know, a cross-gender Polymorph or something like that...).

Isn't Eschew Materials a Metamagic feat that only knocks the spell up one level in return for dropping the materials? Or am I misunderstanding how Metamagic feats (or just that one) work?

Huh, I guess I did switch halfway through some of them.

Anyway, as far as I understood it, Eschew Materials is a general feat, rather than a metamagic feat. It doesn't increase spell level, but only effects materials with no listed gold cost.

Jack_Simth
2008-02-26, 07:10 AM
Compare to a pure Wizard. You lose.... Familiar Progression, two bonus feats and some skill ranks... which you're probably going to be spending anyway, and have a relatively minor RP requirement.

You gain:
Access to a slightly larger spell list
A Domain Power (At Caster Level, rather than class level! Thereafter, any full progression PrC nets you full strength as a Cleric)
Turn Undead (also at caster level, rather than class level)
The ability to ignore slightly expensive material components.
The ability to ignore moderately expensive Focus components.
Spontaneous healing/inflicting.

The Wizard gains more than he loses.

Compare to a Pure Sorcerer. He loses: A few skill ranks (more than the wizard; they're cross-class), familiar progression. He gains: The same stuff, arguably additional spells known from Divine Learning (you may want to clarify how it works with a Sorcerer or bard, as they can both qualify).

Suggestion: Lose a caster level at 1st.

mikeejimbo
2008-02-26, 01:30 PM
Oh yeah, I should have clarified that, since I intended for Bards and Sorcerers to be able to get into the class. I also wondered if losing a spell level progression would be good, so it's good someone else also mentioned that. And I wasn't sure whether to use caster level or class level, because I didn't think there would be a lot of domain powers that would really work at a low effective level.

I thought I had turn undead at caster level divided by two, but I must not have decided on that in the end.

Updates will follow shortly.

teennerd4684
2008-02-27, 05:00 PM

Anyway, as far as I understood it, Eschew Materials is a general feat, rather than a metamagic feat. It doesn't increase spell level, but only effects materials with no listed gold cost.

Eschew Materials was metamagic in 3.0, so that's where you probably were confused.

Oh, and I consulted my PHB, and Eschew Materials doesn't say that is has to have no gold cost; it say's 1 of less gp. I'm not sure if there are any single gp material components for published spells, but just in case.

The class seems great. The one problem I can think of is that performing "a service in the deity's name" can be misinterpreted (purposely or otherwise) so that it can be somethink simple like tossing a gold piece to a beggar. I'm guessing that's not what you had in mind. Maybe they should have to do a mission for the church or something.

Teennerd