PDA

View Full Version : Shipwrecked! Quest: Piggy Hunt

storyteller
2008-02-24, 05:45 AM
Once you have decided who'll go on this quest (preferably 4-8 commoners), I'll post a map... and the piggy hunt may begin!

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-24, 07:23 AM
Once you have decided who'll go on this quest (preferably 4-8 commoners), I'll post a map... and the piggy hunt may begin!

Like with the ship, Ovias volunteers, but is ready to leave his place if enough clearly better hunters come forwards. Or of course people not in the ship.

lawful_evil
2008-02-24, 08:38 AM
Epswitch (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3115)

The smallest of the survivors, Epswitch, offers his assistance, "Assuming I can find someone to tend my flock, I'm in."

{{ I've got a sling! With my STR bonus and -1 damage from using sling stones, and such, I do 1 point of damage per hit. Consistantly! I've got a +2 to hit. }}

Yeril
2008-02-24, 09:06 AM
Joseph Bridgeman, The Experienced Hunter.

The thick bearded man clad in a long coat and holding a short-hafted spear, makes himself known.

"'Ello, Grey" he aims at the dwarf.

"I've hunted boars before. Its tricky business we all have to work together on it to bring it down quickly before it can escape, I've seen hogs get away with two or three bolts stuck in its hide and it still lives to see another day. Also be warned 'cause they are ferocious animals, an enraged boar can easily kill a dog, and even bring down a horse and rider. He nods gravely. "Generaly boar hunting requires spears from horseback, or a pack of trained hounds. We don't have either of them so we're gonner have to settle for stabbin it lots until it dies." Joseph cracks his knuckles loudly and chuckles abit.

OOC: With 25 (35 if you include up to -10 and ferocity) hitpoints, 16AC and a deadly 1d8+3 gore attack, I can honestly say somone is going to be seriously hurt here, and maybe even die. :smalleek: Then again it is a young one so maybe not as terrible as it seems.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-24, 09:50 AM
Joseph Bridgeman, The Experienced Hunter.

The thick bearded man clad in a long coat and holding a short-hafted spear, makes himself known.

"'Ello, Grey" he aims at the dwarf.

"I've hunted boars before. Its tricky business we all have to work together on it to bring it down quickly before it can escape, I've seen hogs get away with two or three bolts stuck in its hide and it still lives to see another day. Also be warned 'cause they are ferocious animals, an enraged boar can easily kill a dog, and even bring down a horse and rider. He nods gravely. "Generaly boar hunting requires spears from horseback, or a pack of trained hounds. We don't have either of them so we're gonner have to settle for stabbin it lots until it dies." Joseph cracks his knuckles loudly and chuckles abit.

OOC: With 25 (35 if you include up to -10 and ferocity) hitpoints, 16AC and a deadly 1d8+3 gore attack, I can honestly say somone is going to be seriously hurt here, and maybe even die. :smalleek: Then again it is a young one so maybe not as terrible as it seems.

"Good day to you too, Joseph", answers Ovias, "Glad to have your experrience with us. Do you think we should firrst trry and figurre out wherre he sleeps, and set trraps to make him easier to stop? Orr maybe trrack him, and hit him frrom afarr while we can?"

"Whateverr the plan, we should trry and convince Mara to come with us. We may need herr abilities beforre the end of this day," he ends.

lawful_evil
2008-02-24, 12:21 PM

Epswitch looks in disbelief at the proposed tactics. Spears? Horseback? Stabbing it a lot? Come on, at like your at the top of the food chain, use your brains. Epswitch finally suggests, "I was kind of thinking about chucking rocks at it while up a tree. That way we can't be injured and we won't need Mara." The whiney wench.

Epswitch looks up at the dwarf and then further up at the human and says, "This beast, while small for a boar, will tower over me. Any tactic that puts me where it can hurt me is suicide. Even you" The tiny halfling gestures at the human, "the boar, as you say, could easily kill you. We've got to use our brains. Keep a tree between you and the boar so it can't charge you. A stand up fight with a beast like this is just stupid. That's why boars have been able to kill horsemen and dogs. They are stupid."

Epswitch says, "We need not take down the boar in one day. Weaker creatures often take down larger tougher creatures by slowly harassing over the course of days." Unless they regenerate.
Epswitch takes a deep breath and says, "Attack it from afar and scare it off. Track it down again. Attack it again. Eventually, it will fall. If it decides to charge at us. Great! We can rain down rocks and sticks on it from the trees while it is unable to reach us."

jagadaishio
2008-02-24, 12:36 PM
Maria approaches the group discussing the prospect of boar hunting, sling and fishing net in hand. "We set up a standard net trap. Place down food on a disguised net and hoist it up into the air when the boar stops to eat. Everyone waits in the trees where it can't get us in case it turns aggressive. If we fail to trap it, we can bombard it with slings until it is either stunned or flees. If we do trap it, we slit its throat."

OOC: I'm suggesting we use some rope and the net, taking 10 on the use rope check and assuming that survival is enough of a skill to set up a trap this simple. Never underestimate the value of a carried fishing net.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-24, 01:03 PM
Ovias looks at the halfling, and scoffs, "Yes, because the boarr will wait underr the trree forr you to kill it one stone at a time. If that is the extent of yourr plans, you might as well stay behind, because you will not help in this trrip, unless we use you as bait"

Maria approaches the group discussing the prospect of boar hunting, sling and fishing net in hand. "We set up a standard net trap. Place down food on a disguised net and hoist it up into the air when the boar stops to eat. Everyone waits in the trees where it can't get us in case it turns aggressive. If we fail to trap it, we can bombard it with slings until it is either stunned or flees. If we do trap it, we slit its throat."

"Good idea, Marria. I was thinking of a hole in frront of his cave with sharp sticks, but yourrs is much quickerr to set up. What does a boarr eat, though? I hearr they have good sense of smell, so he will suspect the trrap not so much by the look of it but by the lingerring smell of human (and dwarf) on the net and food. Thankfully, we do have hunterrs that will know how to get arround that."

jagadaishio
2008-02-24, 01:46 PM
"If the island is uninhabited, it will not recognize our scents as those of a predator. How close it got to our camp would imply that is the case. As for what they eat, they can have almost anything. I would suggest a thin strip of raw fish. It would produce enough smell to draw it quite easily. It is of vital importance to remain in the trees out of sight, though. A wild boar can kill a full grown man with a single attack," she says, already tying the appropriate ropes to the net, along with rocks on its corners to keep it flat. "The amount of fish we would need would not even be enough to take away a full day's rations for a person. I assume we can spare that much at least."

Yeril
2008-02-24, 02:07 PM
Joseph

"I'm not an expert on pigs, but I don't suspect a wild pig in a isolated place like this will have the smarts and suspision to pass up a free meal. I mean its not like this is gonner be a common thing he's had to look out for before we showed up."

As the group moves to a more appropriate area, setting up the "trap", he turns to Maria.

"Are you sure a strip of fish would work? I doubt they frequently eat that kind of stuff so Its doubtful that he would recognise it as food if you see where I'm coming from."

jagadaishio
2008-02-24, 02:33 PM
Joseph

"I'm not an expert on pigs, but I don't suspect a wild pig in a isolated place like this will have the smarts and suspision to pass up a free meal. I mean its not like this is gonner be a common thing he's had to look out for before we showed up."

As the group moves to a more appropriate area, setting up the "trap", he turns to Maria.

"Are you sure a strip of fish would work? I doubt they frequently eat that kind of stuff so Its doubtful that he would recognise it as food if you see where I'm coming from."

"We could use a bit of raw meat from the small game we've been hunting if you want. Boars and pigs have a sharp enough sense of smell that they can usually tell what is and isn't edible, regardless of experience with it," Maria said, shrugging.

lawful_evil
2008-02-24, 02:42 PM

The halfling was used to being discounted and wouldn't stop just because some fat dwarf decided to ridicule him. "It would seem you spent too much time looking at rocks and not enough out amongst the trees. The point was not to hole up in a single tree and hope the pig is retarded. The point was to move along behind the pig harassing it with thrown stones. Should the pig decide to be brave, we take shelter out of its reach in the trees." I should have thought a plan involving stones would have been right up his alley.

{{ I don't think you can make traps with survival, that is what craft(trapmaking) is for. But...}}

Once in the woods and someone starts setting up the trap, Epswitch asks, "Will that net hold the boar? It doesn't look that strong.. and boar have tusks that might slash this to little bits." Wouldn't these humans rather have a consistent source of fish than a one time chance for pig?

All the while, Epswitch remains ready to scramble up a tree and out of harms way. He is sure to pay attention to the nearest 'safe' looking tree.

Seeing the fish, Epswitch just shakes his head and suppresses a laugh. Pigs don't eat fish, they eat bugs and such that they dig up. I'd expect them to flee from such a strong smell. We should have brought the farmer.

Yeril
2008-02-24, 03:04 PM
"The Hobbit is right, is it worth risking damage to the net just to help catch a boar? Not that I'm siding with him, his idea of following the boar via the tree's is about as well thought out as us throwing him in the air to catch a bird." he smirks behind his beard.

"Anyone have any other plans?" he asks the group.

jagadaishio
2008-02-24, 03:20 PM
"If the pig is young and small, as its tracks imply, we shouldn't risk too much damage to the net. Certainly not more than could be repaired with the amount of rope we have. If we have a better idea to catch it, I wouldn't have a problem with it."

lawful_evil
2008-02-24, 03:26 PM

The halfling raises an eyebrow, although it is difficult to tell without any color to distinguish the eyebrow from the rest of his sunburned face. He then says, "Not via the trees monkey man. Via the ground, using the trees as refuge to prevent the boar from eviscerating us." The halfling takes another deep breath and says, "As tall as you all are, you should have no trouble climbing a couple feet up and out of the reach of this small animal. Once it leaves, we climb back down and attack again. Over and over until the boar can take no more punishment."

The halfling, hopefully, has gotten his message across this time and simply watches to see if they abandon the net thing. Given enough time I could take the boar myself, but I'd have no way to drag it back to the fire.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-24, 03:50 PM

The halfling raises an eyebrow, although it is difficult to tell without any color to distinguish the eyebrow from the rest of his sunburned face. He then says, "Not via the trees monkey man. Via the ground, using the trees as refuge to prevent the boar from eviscerating us." The halfling takes another deep breath and says, "As tall as you all are, you should have no trouble climbing a couple feet up and out of the reach of this small animal. Once it leaves, we climb back down and attack again. Over and over until the boar can take no more punishment."

Ovias "Grey" Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590) - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

"I wonderr if you even trry to think things thrrough, halfling," says Ovias, "Let us try it. You hit a boarr with a stone, likely not hurrting him and only angerring him, he charrges at you and you climb a trree. You hit him again, once again likely missing, at which point the boarr most likely flees, at a speed twice that of a rrunning man, and 3 times yourrs. Now, explain to me how we then somehow continue to hit him with stones?"

"Moving back to the useful suggestions, if you rreally think that the net cannot hold the 150-200 pounds of boarr, we should rreconsider my idea. Digging a hole in a place the boarr is likely to pass (in frront of his lairr, in his usual path to waterr) can take some time to set up, but once rready it is not something the boarr will escape easily. We would need some time, though, so we may need to distrract the boarr in the mean time."

Yeril
2008-02-24, 03:53 PM
"If it is a young boar then it is less of a threat to us than a full grown one, perhaps we would be able to confront it at spear-point and leave with nothing but a few scrapes, bruises and a full stomach."

he looks contemplative and uneasy, pausing for a few moments before adding ".. perhaps."

lawful_evil
2008-02-24, 05:09 PM

The halfling says, "Yes, you nearly have it. While I am throwing rocks, the rest of you do the same, or something similar." Epswitch gestures at the various knives, spears, and such. He then continues, "Although the individual hits may be minor, the damage will not be fleeting." After a slight pause he continues, "So, once the boar is driven away, we all pursue. A fleeing beast will leave such a trail that it be easy to follow. Once the beast slows down and we catch up, we attack again, climb again, and so on until the beast collapses from exhaustion."

The halfling pauses and says, "While you may think this plan ill-conceived and not thought out, this has been the traditional way that weaker creatures attack stronger creatures. I'm sorry you are having trouble wrapping your mind around it." Really, I'm sorry I've got to help these... troglodytes.

Lonna
2008-02-24, 05:43 PM
Ovias "Grey" Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590) - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

"I wonderr if you even trry to think things thrrough, halfling," says Ovias, "Let us try it. You hit a boarr with a stone, likely not hurrting him and only angerring him, he charrges at you and you climb a trree. You hit him again, once again likely missing, at which point the boarr most likely flees, at a speed twice that of a rrunning man, and 3 times yourrs. Now, explain to me how we then somehow continue to hit him with stones?"

"Moving back to the useful suggestions, if you rreally think that the net cannot hold the 150-200 pounds of boarr, we should rreconsider my idea. Digging a hole in a place the boarr is likely to pass (in frront of his lairr, in his usual path to waterr) can take some time to set up, but once rready it is not something the boarr will escape easily. We would need some time, though, so we may need to distrract the boarr in the mean time."

Mara Herbswife

<Ovias, do not ridicule him,> scolded Mara as she emerged from the foliage behind the group, holding a bunch of herbs. <At least he is trying to be helpful. Given his attitude up to now, you ought to encourage him.> Turning to the rest of the group she continued in Common.

"Two things. First of all, you are talking about using the wrong bait. No matter how good your trap, no boar will come to anything that smells like meat or fish because they don't eat meat. What you need are strongly scented herbs or berries. {{OOC: I'm assuming about here someone, probably Epswitch, gives me a surprised or incredulous look.}} I grew up in a fishing village, but there were boar in the area, and I spent plenty of time in the wilderness. As for whether the net will hold the boar, I would say it's about a 50-50 chance. My family's nets often brought in 150 pounds of fish, but fish don't have tusks.

"And one more thing- I'm coming with you. Those tusks aren't just for decoration; I've seen men killed or crippled by failing to get out of the way of a charging boar. I can climb a tree to stay out of your way until the matter is finished. I don't want to risk anyone dying from blood loss just because there was too much distance between myself and an injured person. Especially considering that our most experienced hunters are on this trip. If one of you is injured, it will hurt the survival chances of the whole group."

lawful_evil
2008-02-24, 06:41 PM
{{ OOC : If you are going to post in alternate languages, that is normally done with labeled spoiler tags... You said the rest was in common, but not what the beginning bit was in, so we are left to guess. }}

Epswitch watches the woman and dwarf carefully as the speak in the secret language of love(or whatever it is). Epswitch does concede the woman's point, "While I don't think a trap is the right idea... should we use bait, I don't think fish is the way to go. I've never seen anyone feeding their pigs fish and I've never seen pigs or boar swimming in the ocean to catch fish, so I doubt they'd be attracted to it. As for berries. I don't really know what pigs eat, the farmers I've seen normally feed them vegetables."

{{OOC : I got the impression from the earlier posts that we had already departed and were in the woods setting a trap, but I see some of your characters posting to the normal IC thread, weren't we supposed to depart from there, to come on this? Are we supposed to keep both going during this quest? }}

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-24, 06:44 PM
Mara Herbswife

<Ovias, do not ridicule him,> scolded Mara as she emerged from the foliage behind the group, holding a bunch of herbs. <At least he is trying to be helpful. Given his attitude up to now, you ought to encourage him.> Turning to the rest of the group she continued in Common.

Ovias bows his head slightly, in shame <You are right, of course, friend Mara. I am not good at this "leadership", and I do not know how to treat those with unhelpful dispositions, but you are right I should improve my attitude. Thank you for being a good friend, Mara>

[spoiler]"Two things. First of all, you are talking about using the wrong bait. No matter how good your trap, no boar will come to anything that smells like meat or fish because they don't eat meat. What you need are strongly scented herbs or berries. {{OOC: I'm assuming about here someone, probably Epswitch, gives me a surprised or incredulous look.}} I grew up in a fishing village, but there were boar in the area, and I spent plenty of time in the wilderness. As for whether the net will hold the boar, I would say it's about a 50-50 chance. My family's nets often brought in 150 pounds of fish, but fish don't have tusks.

"And one more thing- I'm coming with you. Those tusks aren't just for decoration; I've seen men killed or crippled by failing to get out of the way of a charging boar. I can climb a tree to stay out of your way until the matter is finished. I don't want to risk anyone dying from blood loss just because there was too much distance between myself and an injured person. Especially considering that our most experienced hunters are on this trip. If one of you is injured, it will hurt the survival chances of the whole group."

"I for one will be verry glad to have you with us, in case the worrst happens, frriend Mara," says Ovias, clearly happy to have her along, before continuing with the discussion with, "Now, I cannot rread the trracks like otherrs can, so I do not know if this boarr is juvenile orr full grrown, but if he is young, a net will likely be enough. Otherrwise, otherr traps like a pit - as I suggested earrlierr - or a rrope loop that tightens arround his neck (with the otherr end securrely tied to a rrock orr trree) might be good ideas."

"Ourr poorr knowledge of this place isn't conductive to long distance perrsecutions. We could end up in verry nasty places, orr lost. Besides, if at any point the boarr surrprrises us flat footed, therre will be no climbing trrees - someone will get gorred, maybe fatally. We cannot hope to always be fasterr than the boarr. Much betterr to contrrol the naturre of ourr hunt by prreparring the land in advance with trraps. I suggest we fetch the human Gil Gil, who I have seen prreparre trraps forr small game, he likely has some useful knowledge and abilities, even if he doesn't have the wits to exprress them, and that those that can explorre gain some knowledge of the naturre of ourr quarry - hiding place, rroutes, even if possible its rroutine, beforre we embarrk in what may be a folly"

OOC: It was agreed in the prolog/recruitment that different speak signs stand for different languages: <dwarfish> /elfish/ and so on. Mind you, only Mara and Ovias seem to talk in anything other than human, so it hasn't come up much, but we've consistently done so.

OOC: We have not yet left, since there is not 8 of us, and we should give others the chance to participate, not to mention that if we end up with 9 or more, the DM will have to say who gets to go and who doesn't

OOC: Finally, optional quests happen "during the week" but are otherwise disconnected from the main thread. You can post in both. I tend to asume that they will happen on thursdays, because it's such a mid-week day in which no-one will really RP anything in the main thread.

storyteller
2008-02-25, 06:24 AM
The maximum number of commoners is 8 but there are already 5 of you (Ovias, Epswitch, Maria, Joseph, Mara) so you can get started. More people can join later.

First you should decide which method you're going to use to capture/kill the boar. Each option discussed above sounds good to me. Once you know how you want to do it, I'll give you more details. If you want to find the boar's lair, you'll need someone with the Track feat. Otherwise, it's a good idea to use a bait of some kind. Pigs love fruits, roots, mushrooms and invertebrates. You can build simple traps even without the trapmaking skill. Use Rope may be useful here.

lawful_evil
2008-02-25, 06:51 AM
Epswitch

I suppose you can plan whatever you like, but when the boar shows up, I'll be up a tree. The halfling simply sighs and says, "You may dig a hole if you like. I doubt you'll get the boar to fall in unless you chase it or something though."

{{OOC : I saw that prolog thing, I thought you meant to use pseudo html. <halfling>"This is in the halfling tongue."</halfling> You expect us all to remember a bunch of funny symbols? What is gnomish? Halfling? Goblin? Orc? Heck, there are lots of languages. }}

Yeril
2008-02-25, 07:44 AM
"First we must awnser this, are we gonner bait him in, or track him down. Then we can decide if we are going to ambush him, lay a trap for him, , dig a trap for him, harrass him." he nods at the respective hunters as he lists the ideas.

"Personaly I think we should track him down carefuly, Baited fruits may bring in other animals, ones more fierce than a boar. compared to tracking him down, male boar live alone so we ain't going to bump into a whole family of angry pigs."

smartaleq
2008-02-25, 11:02 AM
The maximum number of commoners is 8 but there are already 5 of you (Ovias, Epswitch, Maria, Joseph, Mara) so you can get started. More people can join later.

First you should decide which method you're going to use to capture/kill the boar. Each option discussed above sounds good to me. Once you know how you want to do it, I'll give you more details. If you want to find the boar's lair, you'll need someone with the Track feat. Otherwise, it's a good idea to use a bait of some kind. Pigs love fruits, roots, mushrooms and invertebrates. You can build simple traps even without the trapmaking skill. Use Rope may be useful here.

As the group sets off, Gil dutifully chases after. He carries his full sack of gear, and while the others discuss the size of the boar, Gil spends his time trying to work out the logistics of bagging a boar. When the dwarf mentions Gil, he receives a cursory glance, bordering on a scowl. Gil returns to his thoughts withdrawing some rope out of his sack, looping it around a hefty tree, and pulling with all his might to verify its strength.

Of course, if it is strong enough he'll whistle the others over to show them.

Use Rope 10+7
Craft Trap 10+4
I'd like to check if I think the nets (we have two) or rope could hold, and to think of the strongest method to restrain an unhappy boar (nets, rope loop, using the block and tackle to magnify our strength, etc.)

when/if we actually craft a trap, others could assist as well - I'll leave that decision to them, as usual

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-25, 02:04 PM
As the group sets off, Gil dutifully chases after. He carries his full sack of gear, and while the others discuss the size of the boar, Gil spends his time trying to work out the logistics of bagging a boar. When the dwarf mentions Gil, he receives a cursory glance, bordering on a scowl. Gil returns to his thoughts withdrawing some rope out of his sack, looping it around a heft tree, and pulling with all his might to verify its strength.

Of course, if it is strong enough he'll whistle the others over to show them.

Noticing Gil following them, Ovias turns to him with a smile on his left face, "Gil! Grreat to see you joining us. I had just suggested we fetch you, forr you know betterr than anyone else how to set trraps. We have thrrown about severral ideas: a pit, a lasso, and a net. Which one do you think best? Maybe a combination of the thrree? Some otherr, maybe? I think we should listen to yourr ideas, and whateverr you decide I will help you set it up, wetherr it be digging orr knotting or going forr leaves in the forrest"

OOC: Legal Evil: Yes, remembering one symbol so far is such a hard work to do... Because it's not like it is a convention (http://www.megatokyo.com/strip/1091) that has been used (http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider020.html) before... Or reasonably deduced from context... [/sarcasm]

jagadaishio
2008-02-25, 03:15 PM
Maria gives Gil a rare smile and hands him her net. "Gil could show us how to make a good trap. Even if the boar doesn't fall for it, we still have the option of harassing it as Epswitch suggested."

Daryk
2008-02-25, 07:13 PM
Tano

Tano was finishing up his last few arrows when he overheard the conversation regarding the boar hunt. With his last arrow complete in his hands, he worked up his courage, picked up his shortbow, and followed after the group as they headed into the woods. Catching up to their rather slow pace, he asked, "Could you use another? I just finished a large batch of arrows, and I think they might be of some use in a boar hunt."

lawful_evil
2008-02-25, 07:22 PM

Epswitch sees the man with the bow approach and smiles. Good, someone else who things ranged attacks against this are the best option. Epswitch watches the dynamic and the reactions of the man to see if he truly can make a trap and if so, Epswitch carefully watches the construction, hopeful his keen intellect, and memory, will help him duplicate it at a later time.

Lonna
2008-02-25, 07:45 PM
Mara Herbswife

Mara smiles at the two new arrivals but otherwise keeps her own counsel for now, merely following Gil and helping however she can, holding or pulling ropes as he indicates.

storyteller
2008-02-26, 02:26 AM
You devise a trap using nets and ropes.

Here's a map to give you an idea of the terrain you're in. Pick a location for the trap (must be adjacent to a tree). Each character represents a 5-foot square.

tttt***t*.*tt
t*t**t**.***t
tt**t**t.**t*
t**t*t**.*t**
**tt*tt.*tt**
t*tt**.**t**t
*t*t**.*t**t*
t**t*t.***t*t
*tt*tt.*tt*t*
t*tt**.*t*tt*
*tt*t*.**t*tt

t tree
* undergrowth (difficult terrain, concealment)
. game trail

Then tell me what you'll do next...

smartaleq
2008-02-26, 11:17 AM
Gil tests his rope, leaning back slowly and putting ever more weight on it, until suddenly his eyes light up with the fire of inspiration. He begins pulling rope from his bag, stashing it in piles around him. He frantically begins pulling out item after item, searching for something. Quickly, the bag is emptied, and whatever it was he was looking for hasn't been found. He looks to the healer of the group, and begins to mock scrub himself, pointing to his hands holding nothing. See a glimmer of understanding, he sets to work tying knots, looping rope, and laying out his contraption.

tttt***t*.*tt
t*t**t**.***t
tt**t**t.**t*
t**t*t**.*t**
**tt*tt.*tt**
t*tt**#**t**t
*t*t**|*t**t*
t**t*t|***t*t
*tt*tT&*tt*t*
t*tt*P.*t*tt*
*tt*t*\H***tt

t tree
. game trail
# Net Location
| Rope Lines
& Loop over tree
T Tree used
P, H Pullers, Hunters
\ Direction pullers pull

Gil pulls a very long length of rope through the nets four corners, tying only two. He walk the net and rope over to a bend in the trail, and beings to lay it down, motioning for the others to help him hold it there. He sets the two tied corners closest to the bend, and the freely looped ones on the side of the net closer to the trail. Gil then walks out the length of all four lines up the trail some distance, and the others can see the four lines are in fact only two, both drawn over a block and tackle.

Gil walks the line back and forth twice, and then extends the two near ropes by another 2', giving them some slack, and ensuring the far ropes are taut first. He spies the halfling watching intently, and approaches him. Handing him the four lines, he points to the tree overhead, and a strong branch in particular. Grasping the two far lines, he points to a smaller branch that is slightly nearer the net than the big one. Gil motions how he wants the rope run, "Under the Small, Over the Big". With the other two ropes he motions "Along the Ground, Over the Big branch". He then makes the scrubbing motion with his hands again. He tries to imitate a smooth sliding rope on his arm. It seems he wants the branches covered somehow, but isn't communicating how very well.

With Epswitch beginning his task (I presume), Gil ties the final lengths of rope to the block and tackle, which he'll attach to the rope the halfling passes over the tree branches.

Operation (Only read if you have Int 12 or Use Rope +2 or don't mind Meta-knowledge):
Using the magnification of the block and tackle, 6 people can pull the rope lines from behind the tree along the path. The B&T is magnifying distance, at the cost of power. With off the ground lift values, we would be able to lift 1200lbs. Instead, we'll apply half that, 600, over a larger distance.

The ropes behind the piggeh will begin taut , and as the line is pulled, this will cause it to lift up and over for a few feet, before the lower lines go taut. With the pig centered on the rope net, he will immediately have net above and below him, moving very quickly up the path. This should sweep him off his feet, or at least offbalance, and then drag him the 30 feet towards the tree where he should lift straight off the ground.

As soon as the pullers begin their pull, the hunters should jump out, make noise, and being to attack the dragging and then hung pig. With bark cut away and lubricated with soap, fraying should not be an issue.

Materials:
1 Block & Tackle
2 Length rope 80ft
3 Length rope 20ft (two people pulling per)
1 Rope Netting 25ft^2 (cargo-netting)
Soap I Hope
Bait

Conceptual Schematic(pretty! for everyone!):

Side Views

Net Lies Flat
......,------\o/O\......
..---/......../...\.....
./.`0O"....../.....\P...
++++++++-----___________

Far Ropes taut and pull first
...+--,------\o/O\_.....
..+.........../....\_...
..+`0O"....../.......\P.
___+++++-----____________

Dragged and Bagged
..............o/O\__....
...............##...\__.
...............##......P

OOC:

w00t, mega-post! Storyteller, could you handle rolls as appropriate? I have use rope +7, craft trap +4. Probably being assisted by half the world. Not sure if i can take 10, 20, or would want to roll.

jagadaishio
2008-02-26, 02:04 PM
After Gil sets up his trap, Maria baits it as best she can and moves back to a position close to the puller. She takes 20 on a hide check to conceal herself in the undergrowth and readies her sling in case they need to either hunt down or drive off the boar. Then she waits.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-26, 02:43 PM
Ovias, knowing full well what his task will be in this, moves close to the rope and loops it around his wrists and over his shoulder in preparation for the pull call. He is well into the underbrush, not so much hidden as invisible from the game trail due to distance and objects in-between.

Yeril
2008-02-26, 03:12 PM
Considering we have the time, joseph takes 20 (For a total 21) on hiding in the underbrush.

Lonna
2008-02-26, 04:21 PM
Gil tests his rope, leaning back slowly and putting ever more weight on it, until suddenly his eyes light up with the fire of inspiration. He begins pulling rope from his bag, stashing it in piles around him. He frantically begins pulling out item after item, searching for something. Quickly, the bag is emptied, and whatever it was he was looking for hasn't been found. He looks to the healer of the group, and begins to mock scrub himself, pointing to his hands holding nothing. See a glimmer of understanding, he sets to work tying knots, looping rope, and laying out his contraption.

tttt***t*.*tt
t*t**t**.***t
tt**t**t.**t*
t**t*t**.*t**
**tt*tt.*tt**
t*tt**#**t**t
*t*t**|*t**t*
t**t*t|***t*t
*tt*tT&*tt*t*
t*tt*P.*t*tt*
*tt*t*\H***tt

t tree
. game trail
# Net Location
| Rope Lines
& Loop over tree
T Tree used
P, H Pullers, Hunters
\ Direction pullers pull

Gil pulls a very long length of rope through the nets four corners, tying only two. He walk the net and rope over to a bend in the trail, and beings to lay it down, motioning for the others to help him hold it there. He sets the two tied corners closest to the bend, and the freely looped ones on the side of the net closer to the trail. Gil then walks out the length of all four lines up the trail some distance, and the others can see the four lines are in fact only two, both drawn over a block and tackle.

Gil walks the line back and forth twice, and then extends the two near ropes by another 2', giving them some slack, and ensuring the far ropes are taut first. He spies the halfling watching intently, and approaches him. Handing him the four lines, he points to the tree overhead, and a strong branch in particular. Grasping the two far lines, he points to a smaller branch that is slightly nearer the net than the big one. Gil motions how he wants the rope run, "Under the Small, Over the Big". With the other two ropes he motions "Along the Ground, Over the Big branch". He then makes the scrubbing motion with his hands again. He tries to imitate a smooth sliding rope on his arm. It seems he wants the branches covered somehow, but isn't communicating how very well.

With Epswitch beginning his task (I presume), Gil ties the final lengths of rope to the block and tackle, which he'll attach to the rope the halfling passes over the tree branches.

Mara Herbswife

When Gil made the scrubbing motion, Mara at once took off her backpack and started digging. While she had surrendered most of her soap to Imbrallius for the group inventory, she always carried a bar with her, to clean up in case an emergency required that she deal with an open wound. Now, seeing Gil motioning to Master Shortoe, she grabbed the soap, along with her waterskin, and passed them to the halfling.

"Use the water to lather the soap before you rub it on the rope," she instructed. "Please put whatever is left back in my backpack when you're done."

Without waiting for a response, she turned and helped Maria gather bait for the trap, locating some tubers and strongly scented edible herbs. Mara then retrieved her backpack and joined the pullers, grabbing the same rope as Ovias. She was well aware that her physical strength was not as great as the others, but with this scenario every bit would help, and perhaps Ovias' greater strength would compensate for her own, lesser, contribution.

If Tano tries to join as a puller, Mara will suggest that he take advantage of the fact that he is the only one with a shortbow to harry the boar once it is captured.

storyteller
2008-02-26, 05:02 PM
OOC:

You cannot take 20 on Hide checks, ever. Taking 20 means you'll try something 20 times but hide checks are resolved when someone makes an opposed spot check vs your hide check. But you can take 10 in situations like this. (See the official FAQ at wizards.com for more info on taking 10 and taking 20)

Anyways, is everyone ready? Tano?

Daryk
2008-02-26, 05:24 PM
Tano

Tano observed skeptically as the trap was built. He was more wont to put his faith in his bow, and took Mara's suggestion to heart. He looked around the area for the best spot to shoot from, and settled in.

I would take 10 on a Hide check (for a total of 11) but I note a boar's "take 10" spot check is 15, so here's the roll:
[roll0]

Edit: 5?? How horrendously un-elvish.

smartaleq
2008-02-26, 05:40 PM
Gil stands in position with rope in hand, waiting. The trap has enough length for as many as 6 to grip it, and with so few strong individuals on the hunting trek, the 4 committed to pulling now may not be enough. (Gil, Ovias, Maria, Mara)

Yeril
2008-02-26, 05:44 PM
OOC: Realy? I would of assumed taking 20 on a hide check represents spending 2 minutes to find the best hiding place, and nestle up inside it, rather than quickly diving into a random bush.

Well, Joseph takes his place in the bushes (7 across, 3 down) and hides, waiting for the boar.

Hide [roll0]

Joseph sets his spear against a tree and prepares to help pull one of the ropes.

smartaleq
2008-02-26, 05:57 PM
Joseph sets his spear against a tree and prepares to help pull one of the ropes.

Now with 5 in position to pull, and one hunter and the halfling providing decent sight and a way to hurt the animal, we are fully prepared. Now we await the boar.

If the boar does arrive and act as expected/hoped, I'll lead the pull at the right time.

Daryk
2008-02-26, 06:05 PM
Tano

As the day wore on with no sight of the boar, Tano became restless. Looking over at the group he called, "Perhaps one or two of us should stalk the beast and lead it back here?"

lawful_evil
2008-02-26, 06:34 PM
Epswitch

Seeing the plan, Epswitch figures the mostly likely result is that the boar approaches from the wrong direction and takes the group by surprise. Hopefully killing that dwarf.

Epswitch stands tall and listens intently for boar sounds. He does while standing next to a tree which he has practiced climbing up.

{{ Take 20 on listen check }}

jagadaishio
2008-02-26, 07:26 PM
Since you can't take 20 on a hide check, Maria takes 10 for a 12.

storyteller
2008-02-27, 03:00 PM
You wait... and wait... and wait...

...and then you can hear something...

First you can hear leaves rustling and then you can see its snout sniffing the air around it.. yes, it's a wild boar. It looks young and its tusks haven't developed yet. It's somewhat larger than the young boars you've seen near Bluehaven.

It comes along the trail skipping happily toward the trap, drool dripping from the corners of its mouth. It starts eating the food left as bait and seems to be totally oblivious to your presence.

smartaleq
2008-02-27, 03:09 PM
Seeing the boar in position, Gil glances at his compatriots and gives a nod. He pulls as hard as he can, digging in and stepping quickly up the path. With the 5 pulling hard, and the block and tackle amplifying speed, the net should move all 20ft to directly below the tree in a single round.

storyteller
2008-02-27, 03:23 PM
"Squeeeaaaaaalllll!!!!!!"

The trap works just like you planned! The young boar is struggling in the net and squealing like a... pig.

jagadaishio
2008-02-27, 03:31 PM
Maria loops her sling back on her belt, takes out her dagger, and cuts its throat while it hangs there. Assuming this is carried out as a coup de grace:

[roll0], requires a fort save of 10+damage to keep from dying instantly. She will stab a second and third time if that doesn't kill it. She tries to make the death as quick as possible.

Yeril
2008-02-27, 05:00 PM
Joseph holds the rope tight while the huntress tries to kill the strugling pig.

"Hahah! Got the swine!" he cheers.

lawful_evil
2008-02-27, 05:04 PM
Epswitch

Epswitch watches the trap spring the pig. Once hanging he steps out with his sling and stones to pelt it, but the whiney woman stepped in the way. He manages to stop the shot before whacking her with a stone.

Well, she got lucky there.

Daryk
2008-02-27, 06:52 PM
Tano

Tano drew his bow, but didn't fire as Maria approached the boar. He maintained his aim in case the beast broke free.

storyteller
2008-02-28, 05:19 AM
It takes one round to draw the dagger and move, and another round to cut its throat. The boar dies.

A shrill shriek coming from the northeast answers the dying pig's last squeal. After the long, terrifying shriek ends, you can hear the thunderous gallop of a much larger animal... coming your way!

Daryk
2008-02-28, 06:12 AM
Tano

As the crashing sounds approached, Tano slung his bow and tried to climb the nearest tree with low hanging branches. "Climb!" he cried.

If there are any DC 10 trees, Tano takes 10. If there aren't, Climb: [roll0]
Edit: Or fails to climb a tree, as the case may be...

Yeril
2008-02-28, 06:15 AM
"Wha the-, Maria get out of the way!" He shouts a warning as he lets go of the rope and grabs his spear from its resting place, pulling his arm back and hurling the spear at the approaching creature.

[roll0]
[roll1]

lawful_evil
2008-02-28, 06:51 AM
Epswitch

I knew it.

When the sound of the second beast is heard, Epswitch hops up in his preselected tree, safely out of reach. Once there, he uses his sling to pelt the approaching beast, unless it is charging at that fat dwarf.

[roll0]
Climb (Take a 10.. for a 12).. if not [roll1]
[roll2]
Damage = 1d2-1 = 1 (using stones instead of bullets)
Rolling Critical Stuff in next post.

Epswitch lets out a hoot of excitement and jabbers, "Here Piggy Piggy!"

lawful_evil
2008-02-28, 07:00 AM
Epswitch

Seeing how good the shot was Epswitch hopes it'll hit the piggy right between the eyes.

Critical Confirmation

[roll0]
[roll1] (min of 1)

Yeril
2008-02-28, 07:11 AM
[roll0] Initiative :smalltongue:

Zombie pixe
2008-02-28, 11:46 AM
(( i take it it is far too late to join :smalltongue:

still, looks like you could need a fighter here :smallwink: :smallamused: ))

storyteller
2008-02-28, 12:09 PM
Not at all! Go ahead and join the fray! Roll Init and describe your character's actions when he hears the sound of the second animal.

smartaleq
2008-02-28, 12:24 PM
quickly, Gil ties the rope holding the dead boar to a nearby tree

Gil Tries to ascertain what direction the boar is coming from (map please). Will it come under where the other boar is currently being held?

[roll0]

Zombie pixe
2008-02-28, 12:33 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

*I touch my squid belt for luck, then draw my Morningstar and wait for the boars charge*

I wait in the clearing, taking a ready action of charge when I see the creature

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-28, 02:18 PM

Confused about the direction the new pig is coming from, Ovias grabs his club and goes into defence position, looking in all directions, whilst walking as fast as he can through the undergrowth towards the game trail.

OOC:I assume I'm way too far to participate in the first round of combat, unless it is coming through the brush, but nonetheless [roll0]. My action is "defensive stance": +2 AC, -4 Hit and move-equivalent towards the trail and the others

Shademan
2008-02-28, 02:21 PM
could zavulon bravely join the fray as well?

Yeril
2008-02-28, 02:48 PM
could zavulon bravely join the fray as well?

No, your still wounded from the squid aren't you?

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-28, 03:17 PM
No, your still wounded from the squid aren't you?

OOC: No, he is not. A week has passed, give or take a day, from the shipwreck. We regain 1 Hp a night. He only lost 4 HP, so he's scarred but healthy by now. And that is not even counting that Mara is taking "Long term care" of him, which I believe doubles healing rate?

A more likely reason for him not to participate is that there may be 8 of us already (haven't counted - we must be 7 or 8). If he's ninth, he cannot without DM fiat. Sorry, Shademan - I'm farly sure we are about to need you. Maybe when someone gets their guts strewn along 10 yards of path you can come in as replacement.

Grey Wolf

Edit: i have counted now. Shademan's 9th. Sorry.

Shademan
2008-02-28, 03:23 PM
OOC: lemme know then, im eager to help.:smallbiggrin:

Lonna
2008-02-28, 03:26 PM
Mara Herbswife

Knowing she is essentially useless in a fight, Mara seeks the closest easily climbable tree and tries to get out of everyone's way.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Failing this, she keeps a lookout for the new threat, hoping she can at least shout warning to the others when it appears.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-28, 03:38 PM
Mara Herbswife

Knowing she is essentially useless in a fight, Mara seeks the closest easily climbable tree and tries to get out of everyone's way.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Failing this, she keeps a lookout for the new threat, hoping she can at least shout warning to the others when it appears.

Seeing her attempting to climb a tree, Ovias calls to her <Mara, as much as I want you out of harm's way, I fear we may soon need you close to the action. Remain behind me, I will protect you as best I can and send or bring to you anyone needing your help, but you will have to be on the ground if fast action is needed>

jagadaishio
2008-02-28, 07:26 PM
[roll0]
She tries to climb into a tree as quickly as she can, taking 10 for an 11. She pulls herself up onto the low branches of a nearby tree, then again into the branches one level above those, continuing until she's at least six feet up.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-28, 07:30 PM
[roll0]
She tries to climb into a tree as quickly as she can, taking 10 for an 11. She pulls herself up onto the low branches of a nearby tree, then again into the branches one level above those, continuing until she's at least six feet up.

I don't think you can take 10 in combat conditions.

jagadaishio
2008-02-28, 09:23 PM
I don't think you can take 10 in combat conditions.

You can take 10 as long as your square isn't being threatened.

lawful_evil
2008-02-29, 07:50 AM
{{ I think some of this will have to fall to the GM. The book says, "When your charcter is not being threatened or distracted" and "Distractions or threats(such as combat) make it impossible to Take 10". I'm not sure if we fall into 'combat' yet, or what. In any case the DC for climb tree is 15, but the description makes it seem like you climbing the trunk of the tree and not using the branches as rungs. I had Epswitch select a tree ahead of time that he could climb, so hopefully I'll get a bonus or something seeing as taking a 10 doesn't get me 15 and my roll sucked. }}

{{ Are we supposed to just post another round of actions? I was kind of waiting for the GM to respond to our first before posting another. }}

Lonna
2008-02-29, 02:52 PM
Seeing her attempting to climb a tree, Ovias calls to her <Mara, as much as I want you out of harm's way, I fear we may soon need you close to the action. Remain behind me, I will protect you as best I can and send or bring to you anyone needing your help, but you will have to be on the ground if fast action is needed>

Mara Herbswife

After only a split second of hesitation, Mara nodded, putting her back to the tree and drawing her dagger.

storyteller
2008-03-01, 07:39 AM
A large female boar (no tusks) moves fast towards you from the northeast, along the trail. It sees Maria next to its dead offspring, her hands blood-stained. It emits a shriek and gallops towards Maria. (Taking double move; no attack this turn)

Init order:
Maria: ready action to toss spear - miss!
Eric: cannot ready a charge, it's a full round action
Mara: draws a dagger
Female boar: double move- now adjacent to Maria
Ovias: moves closer, cannot fight defensively when not attacking
Joseph: your action?
Epswitch: attacks and hit for 1 damage
Gil: your action?
Tano: Init?

OOC: You cannot take 10 when distracted. You'd call a murderous boar a distraction, wouldn't you? :smallsmile:

The DC to climb a tree is 15. I think none of you succeeded, but I'm not going to roll falling damage even if you failed by 5 or more. This time.

Remember that ranged attacks suffer a -4 penalty when shooting into melee (as long as at least one of you is adjacent to the boar). Trees and other characters also grant +4 to the boar's AC. These are cumulative.

Map:

Character locations

tttt***t*.*tt
t*t**t**.***t
tt**t**t.**t*
t**t*t**.*t**
**tt*ttb*tt**
t*tt**M**t**t
*t*t**EJt**t*
t**t*TGO**t*t
*tt*te.mtt*t*
t*tt**.*t*tt*
*tt*t*.**t*tt

b boar
M Maria
E Eric
m Mara
e Epswitch
O Ovias
G Gil
T Tano
J Joseph

tttt***t*.*tt
t*t**t**.***t
tt**t**t.**t*
t**t*t**.*t**
**tt*tt.*tt**
t*tt**.**t**t
*t*t**.*t**t*
t**t*t.***t*t
*tt*tt.*tt*t*
t*tt**.*t*tt*
*tt*t*.**t*tt

t tree
. game trail

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-01, 08:08 AM

Then Ovias is in full defence mode for the time being, +4 AC, shielding Mara.

lawful_evil
2008-03-01, 09:04 AM
Epswitch

Stupid Tree. It seemed easy enough to climb when I practiced.

Epswitch tries again to climb the tree. Not too high, just 6 or so feet off the ground where the boar wouldn't be able to reach him. Whether he makes it or not, he uses the sling to hurl a bullet at the boar. If he fails, he'll take a 5 foot step to move around to the far side of the tree, attempting to keep the tree inbetween him and the boar until he is ready to fire again.

[roll="Climb"]1d20+2[/climb]
[roll0]
[roll1] Sling Bullet this time

FYI : Initiative (from round 1) = 2

{{ Hmm.. growing up, I always found trees far easier to climb than a rope(knotted or otherwise). I always thought that 15 for tree was climbing the bare trunk without any branches to use. }}

{{ It seems I have no chance to hit this boar... 16+4, then -4 to me... I can't roll a 24 with only a +3 to hit. }}

lawful_evil
2008-03-01, 09:06 AM
Epswitch

Yippie! I seem to have a possible crit again...

Try again on the Climb tag...
[roll0]

[roll1]
[roll2] (min of 1 once the damage is added)

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-01, 09:21 AM
Epswitch

Yippie! I seem to have a possible crit again...

Try again on the Climb tag...
[roll0]

[roll1]
[roll2] (min of 1 once the damage is added)

OOC: Bloody hell, 4 20s in a row when attacking? How did you bribe the RNG, L_E? Promised more RAM? :smalltongue:

Yeril
2008-03-01, 10:14 AM
Init order:
Maria: your action?
Eric: cannot ready a charge, it's a full round action
Mara: draws a dagger
Female boar: double move- now adjacent to Maria
Joseph: ready action to toss spear - miss!
Epswitch: attacks and hit for 1 damage
Gil: your action?
Tano: Init?

Fixed that for you. :smallbiggrin:

I'll have a battle map up for us in a few minutes.

OOC: I wonder if Epswitch gets to roll again for instadeath, the boars skull shattering from such a lucky shot. :smallbiggrin:

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-01, 10:45 AM
OOC: I wonder if Epswitch gets to roll again for instadeath, the boars skull shattering from such a lucky shot. :smallbiggrin:

OOC: It would be nice, but since he needs natural 20s to hit, he cannot crit. I'm just glad he did not brain Maria with this shot. I'm sure that she wouldn't have appreciated loosing a third of her life to "friendly" fire.

Yeril
2008-03-01, 10:49 AM
I hope this makes everything abit clearer.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q70/Yerileikre/borehuntpng.png

storyteller
2008-03-01, 11:04 AM
It takes a move action to load a sling. Thus, you cannot climb, load and shoot in the same round. I'll let it slide this time but next time don't forget to load.

storyteller
2008-03-01, 11:10 AM
Thanks Yeril! :smallbiggrin: Yes it does help a lot!

Btw, swap Mara and Maria! Maria is the huntress, Mara is the healer :smallsmile:

Yeril
2008-03-01, 11:23 AM
Thanks Yeril! :smallbiggrin: Yes it does help a lot!

Btw, swap Mara and Maria! Maria is the huntress, Mara is the healer :smallsmile:

Eep, I knew that, I must of got the names mixed up, I got the colours right though :smallbiggrin: .

I'll change em over next round when I update the map.

Daryk
2008-03-01, 11:35 AM
Tano

Giving up on his fruitless effort to climb a tree, Tano tried to maneuver to get a clear shot at the boar.

Since I don't have a BAB of +1, this round will be manuever and readying the bow only. Tano moves to square 3F if he can, as far as he can in that direction if he can't.

Initiative: [roll0]

Zombie pixe
2008-03-01, 12:31 PM
((How easy is it to move through the bushes?))

storyteller
2008-03-01, 12:43 PM
Difficult terrain, i.e. moving costs 2x, diagonal moves count as 3 squares. Also, you cannot charge through difficult terrain.

Zombie pixe
2008-03-01, 12:58 PM
((im not going to charge, but i might try to flank it...))

i move to E5 in a diagonal line (30ft total)

jagadaishio
2008-03-01, 01:21 PM
Maria takes a five foot step to F6 and tries to climb the tree in F5.

[spoiler][roll0]

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-01, 01:31 PM
Maria takes a five foot step to F6 and tries to climb the tree in F5.

[spoiler][roll0]
OOC:
You cannot take a 5-step if you are also going to take a move action (link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#take5FootStep)): "You can’t take more than one 5-foot step in a round, and you can’t take a 5-foot step in the same round when you move any distance."

What you want is to perform "withdrawal", full action that doesn't draw an attack of opportunity. That way you can safely get a broken leg from attempting to climb a tree. Seriously, did someone come here early and grease those things?

Edit: Initiatives:
jagadaishio (Maria) - 22
Zombie Pixie (Eric) - 20
Lonna (Mara) - 17
Boar - 10 (10+0)
Grey Wolf (Ovias)- 10 (11-1)
Daryk (Tano) - 8
Yeril (Joseph) - 3
Ipswitch and Gil - Haven't found them. Have you rolled? (I'll edit again if I find them)

Grey Wolf

Edit: Not sure how draws are handled, but in case the one with the better modifier ends on top, I've put the boar first. In case we roll again to choose amongst the ones having drawed, 1d20-1

Zombie pixe
2008-03-01, 01:34 PM
Can we get the boar's initiative, please?

((It was 12 or 13 i think...))

storyteller
2008-03-01, 01:43 PM
Boar: Init 10, modifier +0.

lawful_evil
2008-03-01, 02:35 PM
{{ For all we know the boar's AC is slightly lower, say 15, because of environment, genetics, encounter scaling, or whatever, so Epswitch might be able to crit. }}

{{ My initiative was rolled in round 1. We supposed to roll each round? I'd love to re-roll, as I only got a 2. }}

{{ I guess I could just hold my fire until the boar kills everyone nearby, then I can shoot without penalty. }}

{{ There isn't any chance to hit your 'friends' anymore(unless the GM is using an optional rule). The -4 is because you are careful with your aim, not because they are blocking your shot. }}

jagadaishio
2008-03-01, 02:42 PM
What you want is to perform "withdrawal", full action that doesn't draw an attack of opportunity. That way you can safely get a broken leg from attempting to climb a tree. Seriously, did someone come here early and grease those things?

In that case, Maria makes a withdrawal, just trying to get out of melee. She'll draw her sling next round and attempt to climb a tree. She tries to move back into the group.

Yeril
2008-03-01, 02:42 PM
Come on I want to get to round Twoooo :smallbiggrin:

storyteller
2008-03-01, 02:59 PM
Eric, you're next, then Mara. Then the boar.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-01, 03:08 PM
In that case, Maria makes a withdrawal, just trying to get out of melee. She'll draw her sling next round and attempt to climb a tree. She tries to move back into the group.

OOC: You can still try to climb a tree like you said while withdrawing, you just cannot take a 5-step at the same time. No difference in this case, I was just letting you know for future occasions (instead, if you had used the 5-step to get behind the boar without AoO, that would be a problem). I was just being nitpicky - sorry.

Anyway, this is round 2, so far, as I understand it:

jagadaishio (Maria) - 22 - attempted to withdraw, climb tree and fell. F6?
Zombie Pixie (Eric) - 20 - moves to E5 Edit: Seems that happened in round 1; He goes full defence AC + 4 He moves back to G7 He attacks the boar and misses
Lonna (Mara) - 17 -
Boar - 10 (10+0) -
Grey Wolf (Ovias)- 10 (11-1)
Daryk (Tano) - 8
Yeril (Joseph) - 3
Epswitch - 2
Gil - Has not posted in a while

Not sure how Epswitch has gotten two shots out already if he really is last in sequence and the boar has made just the one move.
(Round 1 was everyone scrambling into position, the pig making its appearance, Ipswitch shooting his first crit, someone throwing a spear at the pig, several people trying to climb up into trees and failing)

Edit: I'm being multi-ninjaed by one single post! Arg!
Edit 314: Ok, now you're just messing with me, Zombie Pixie. Admit it :smalltongue: :smallbiggrin:

Zombie pixe
2008-03-01, 03:10 PM
I move back to my old square.

((sorry to mess everyone around (well, grey :smallredface: )))

ill just move and attack it...

Attack: 1d20+1
Damage: 1d20+1

cant roll in an edit, duh! :smallredface:

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-01, 03:19 PM
Eric, you're next, then Mara. Then the boar.

OOC: Mara likely needs to know what happened to Maria, i.e. how much damage she took from attempting to climb the tree, if she did at all.

Grey Wolf

Zombie pixe
2008-03-01, 03:20 PM
((sorry to mess everyone around (well, grey )))

ill just move and attack it...

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

storyteller
2008-03-01, 03:30 PM
The boar attacks Eric
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]

OOC: I know it's Mara's turn but probably she's not going to attack the boar so let's see if Eric gets his head bitten off. :smallamused:

Yeril
2008-03-01, 03:30 PM
Quickly moving through the underbrush, trying to get close enough to grab his spear, but being careful not to get attacked by the boar.

Total defence, Move to I5
I prevoke an attack of oppertunity against the boar, but I have 16 AC.

ROUND 2 MAP
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q70/Yerileikre/borehunt2.png

This includes all of the actions happened in Round 1, or atleast to my understanding and how I have done it on the map.

Zombie pixe
2008-03-01, 03:31 PM
Eric

wow. 1 hp...

Anyone want to guess waht im gona do now...?

lawful_evil
2008-03-01, 03:36 PM
{{ Wait.. so if Eric gets killed by the boar on 'thursday' the quest day... do I get the potatoes on Saturday(today)?
}}

:smallbiggrin:

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-01, 03:38 PM
The boar attacks Eric
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]

OOC: I know it's Mara's turn but probably she's not going to attack the boar so let's see if Eric gets his head bitten off. :smallamused:

Assuming Mara is waiting to see who she'd better help (because that's what I'd do),

Ovias advances and stands next to Eric while staying completely defensive (AC 15).
<Damn! He's bleeding! Mara, help!>

jagadaishio (Maria) - 22 - attempted to withdraw, climb tree and fell. F6?
Zombie Pixie (Eric) - 20 - moves to E5 Edit: Seems that happened in round 1; He goes full defence AC + 4 He moves back to G7 He attacks the boar and misses
Lonna (Mara) - 17 -
Boar - 10 (10+0) - Eats Eric
Grey Wolf (Ovias)- 10 (11-1) - Stands next to Eric, Full defence
Daryk (Tano) - 8
Yeril (Joseph) - 3 - Moves to I5, provokes AoO, full defence
Epswitch - 2

Edit: Zombie Pixie continues to toy with my mind by forgetting to add his toughness to his HP

Zombie pixe
2008-03-01, 03:40 PM
{{ Wait.. so if Eric gets killed by the boar on 'thursday' the quest day... do I get the potatoes on Saturday(today)?
}}

:smallbiggrin:

((you Bastard!!! *chases out of thread with a morningstar* :smallfurious: ))

Yeril
2008-03-01, 04:20 PM
Ovias advances and stands next to Eric while staying completely defensive (AC 15).

This prevokes an AOO, and since your initiative is before mine, I don't get the AOO. :smallbiggrin:

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-01, 04:24 PM
This prevokes an AOO, and since your initiative is before mine, I don't get the AOO. :smallbiggrin:

Err... now I'm confused - why does joining the fight provoke an AoO? Wouldn't it have been caused by Eric when he did it? If there is some rule I'm missing in that mess that is AoO, Ovias does something different - as soon as someone explains (or I find it in the rules), I'll see what I can do without provocking the AoO

Edit 1: All I found was that I provoke AoO if I *leave* a threatened square. What I did was enter it. Can someone please explain why I'm being AoOed?

Grey Wolf

Zombie pixe
2008-03-01, 04:28 PM
(sorry, :smallredface: ))

Lonna
2008-03-01, 04:35 PM
Assuming Mara is waiting to see who she'd better help (because that's what I'd do),

<Damn! He's bleeding! Mara, help!>

{{Yikes; I don't get on the computer for one morning and look what happens.}}

Mara Herbswife

When Maria fell, Mara waited, staying in a defensive position, hesitant to leave Ovias' protection if the huntress was not seriously hurt. {{This round's action = total defense.}} When the boar gored Eric, however, she began muttering under breath, calling herself nine kinds of idiot for hesitating, before following Ovias and preparing to aid their injured companion. {{Next round's action = move to E6, if possible. If I can get there in just one move action, I begin using heal on Eric. [roll0] If I can't get there in one move action I'll use heal ASAP.}}

Yeril
2008-03-01, 04:35 PM
Edit 1: All I found was that I provoke AoO if I *leave* a threatened square. What I did was enter it. Can someone please explain why I'm being AoOed?

Grey Wolf

Erk, your right thats my bad, yeah no AoO for you, just me because I'm moving around inside the htreatened area then :smallbiggrin:

@Mara, Eric is fine, well, on 1HP, but doesn't need to be healed. although it would be wise to ready action to heal him since he might go down soon. :smallbiggrin: :smalltongue:

storyteller
2008-03-01, 04:37 PM
Nope, it doesn't. Only if the boar had reach beyond 5'. But it doesn't.

Zombie pixe
2008-03-01, 04:40 PM
((people, im not dead yet :smallamused:

thanks for the concern though :smallbiggrin: :smallwink: ))

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-01, 04:46 PM
Nope, it doesn't. Only if the boar had reach beyond 5'. But it doesn't.

Storyteller, can we get a ruling on whether Maria hurt herself climbing the tree or not? And I assume Ipswitch already used his turn with the second shot (and second 20 in a row). At this point, we're missing Tano and Gil.

agadaishio (Maria) - 22 - attempted to withdraw, climb tree and fell. F6?
Zombie Pixie (Eric) - 20 - moves to E5 Edit: Seems that happened in round 1; He goes full defence AC + 4 He moves back to G7 He attacks the boar and misses (G6)
smartaleq (Gil) - 18 - moves to I6
Lonna (Mara) - 17 - Full Defence
Grey Wolf (Ovias)- 10 (11-1) - Stands next to Eric (H6), Full defence
Daryk (Tano) - 8
Yeril (Joseph) - 3 - Moves to I5, provokes AoO, full defence
Leegal_Evil (Epswitch) - 2 - shot, hit for 1

Edit: smartaleq moved

Lonna
2008-03-01, 04:51 PM
@Mara, Eric is fine, well, on 1HP, but doesn't need to be healed. although it would be wise to ready action to heal him since he might go down soon. :smallbiggrin: :smalltongue:

Ok, my bad. In that case Mara just follows Ovias (still aiming for E6) and stays on defensive until one of the folks in the line of fire needs healing.

smartaleq
2008-03-01, 04:52 PM
sorry, [roll0]
will take a full move action and move to I6
have not drawn quarterstaff yet

Yeril
2008-03-01, 05:01 PM
sorry, [roll0]
will take a full move action and move to I6
have not drawn quarterstaff yet

you can make it in a single move action :smallsmile:

Daryk
2008-03-01, 09:36 PM
Tano

If Tano can get a clear shot (i.e. without cover from that tree it's next to) at the boar from F3, he takes it. If not, he takes a five foot step to G3 to get one.

Seeing the boar no longer near his friends, Tano took a shot with his bow.

Damage (if necessary): [roll1]

Edit: Hey LE, can you spare one of those 20's? :smallbiggrin:

storyteller
2008-03-02, 03:45 AM
The boar tries to bite Maria as she moves past.
Attack:
[roll0]
Damage:
[roll1]

On its turn, it tries to bite Ovias who's taken a defensive stance.
Attack:
[roll2]
Damage:
[roll3]

OOC:

Remember that you cannot draw a weapon while moving as a single move action until your bab is +1.

I ruled that none of you have taken falling damage since you haven't fallen 10' of more. I'm sure it's an amusing sight though, half the group cussing the trees "Who has cast Grease on these trees???"

storyteller
2008-03-02, 03:49 AM
Ouch. 150 xp for the boar... :smallconfused:

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-02, 04:27 AM
The boar tries to bite Maria as she moves past.
Attack:
[roll0]
Damage:
[roll1]

On its turn, it tries to bite Ovias who's taken a defensive stance.
Attack:
[roll2]
Damage:
[roll3]

OOC:

Remember that you cannot draw a weapon while moving as a single move action until your bab is +1.

I ruled that none of you have taken falling damage since you haven't fallen 10' of more. I'm sure it's an amusing sight though, half the group cussing the trees "Who has cast Grease on these trees???"

Errr... I'm thoroughly confused now. Maria doesn't draw AoO when withdrawing - why did she get attacked? are you thinking of Joe, who went past the boar to recover his spear? And why does the Boar get another attack before the high Init people? is this his third turn move? Going to assume so, unless otherwise indicated. Here is the situation how it stands:

Round 2
agadaishio (Maria) - 22 - attempted to withdraw, climb tree and fell. F6?
Zombie Pixie (Eric) - attacks the boar and misses (G6)
smartaleq (Gil) - 18 - moves to I6
Lonna (Mara) - 17 - Full Defence
Grey Wolf (Ovias)- 10 (11-1) - Stands next to Eric (H6), Full defence
Daryk (Tano) - 8 - Shoots and misses
Yeril (Joseph) - 3 - Moves to I5, provokes AoO, full defence, gets AoOed
Leegal_Evil (Epswitch) - 2 - shot, hit for 1

Round 3
agadaishio (Maria) -
Zombie Pixie (Eric) -
smartaleq (Gil) -
Lonna (Mara) -
Boar - Attacks Ovias and misses
Grey Wolf (Ovias) -
Daryk (Tano) -
Yeril (Joseph) -
Leegal_Evil (Epswitch) -

I will wait for the high inits to act before I decide my next set of actions.

storyteller
2008-03-02, 04:56 AM
Yes I meant Joe. And yes it attacked Ovias on round 3. I posted it already because I strongly doubt you'll manage to kill the boar before its turn. Those who get to act before it, go ahead and post your actions.

Yeril
2008-03-02, 07:40 AM
OOC: "agadaishio (Maria) - 22 - attempted to withdraw, climb tree and fell. F6?" I've asked several times (Sorry if i've missed the awnser) But I've got this listed as her action in round 1, now if everyones insisting she took this action in round 2 then what did she do in round 1?? :smalleek:

IC:

As the boar sinks its teeth into Joesephs ankle, he yells in pain as he is almost pulled onto the ground. Grunting and kicking the beast in the face with his other foot, he shakes it off and unsteadily makes a grab for his spear, wounded, but still standing.

(Yay Toughness! 1hp remaining!)

Actions: Move action to retreive spear. Standard action to Full defence. (prevokes another aoo.. lets hope for somthing lower than a 15 this time)

Lonna
2008-03-02, 07:45 AM
Mara Herbswife

Seeing two hunters bitten in quick succession, Mara hesitated only a moment before racing toward the fighters clustered to one side of the boar {move to E6; I think that's just one move action}. Kneeling among them, she prepared to give aid should any of them be more seriously wounded {ready action - I'll heal anyone that I can reach with a 5' step or less if they go below 0 HP}.

Edit: I hate metaknowledge... Mara has no way of knowing that Joseph might very well be about to get himself killed.

Daryk
2008-03-02, 07:47 AM
Since the hunt took place before the argument, does Tano have the rapier? With people moving back to into melee, Tano will need natural 20's to hit the boar at all with the bow (without risking hitting anyone else, that is). If he has it, he'll be switching weapons in round 3.

Yeril
2008-03-02, 07:58 AM
@^ yeah you should have it, also go for it, +2 flanking bonus :smallbiggrin:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q70/Yerileikre/borehunt3.png

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-02, 08:02 AM
OOC: "agadaishio (Maria) - 22 - attempted to withdraw, climb tree and fell. F6?" I've asked several times (Sorry if i've missed the awnser) But I've got this listed as her action in round 1, now if everyones insisting she took this action in round 2 then what did she do in round 1?? :smalleek:
(All OOC)
You have? I've missed the questions, sorry. I have no idea, but DM describes the arrival of the pig as "reaching her at the end of its turn - it doesn't attack", so whatever her action was (slitting the other pig's throat?) it had already been taken.

IC:
Actions: Move action to retreive spear. Standard action to Full defence. (prevokes another aoo.. lets hope for somthing lower than a 15 this time)
Weee! Confused again. AoO rules are a headache. How does your actions provoke AoO? You went past the pig and are now out of its reach. At worst, you've come back to the pig with the spear, but that doesn't cause AoO.

Mara Herbswife
Edit: I hate metaknowledge... Mara has no way of knowing that Joseph might very well be about to get himself killed.
How is that metaknowledge? There is two people already heavily bleeding! If not Joseph, it could be Eric. Or Ovias, given that the pig's been rolling average - it can actually one-hit us.

Since the hunt took place before the argument, does Tano have the rapier? With people moving back to into melee, Tano will need natural 20's to hit the boar at all with the bow (without risking hitting anyone else, that is). If he has it, he'll be switching weapons in round 3.
Yes, he does. Ovias suggested giving it to him on the afternoon of week 1 when they returned from the sunken ship - the meeting was sometime towards the end of week 2. And there is no reason to take the rapier away from him - regardless of in-fighting, he remains the only one that can use it.

Yeril: I disagree about the positions of players. Eric (G6), Ovias (H6) and Gil (I6) are aligned in row 6, and Joseph is beyond the pig recovering his spear - you can still flank against Eric if Joe is in I6. I assume G5 is a tree, and thus not conductive to standing in that spot?

Yeril
2008-03-02, 08:05 AM
Weee! Confused again. AoO rules are a headache. How does your actions provoke AoO? You went past the pig and are now out of its reach. At worst, you've come back to the pig with the spear, but that doesn't cause AoO.

Picking up my spear from the ground, I beleive this prevokes an AoO.
If it doesn't somone please say because then I can take a more useful action instead of defending myself against no attacks.

Daryk
2008-03-02, 08:05 AM
Tano

Seeing the others move in on the boar, Tano slung his bow and drew the rapier recovered from the wreck.

As I read the rule, I think Tano can take a 5-foot step too (since he hasn't otherwise moved). If that is the case, he moves to 4G to help flank the darn thing. No attack this round, unless it tries to flee, when I might get an attack of opportunity.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-02, 08:08 AM
Picking up my spear from the ground, I beleive this prevokes an AoO.
If it doesn't somone please say because then I can take a more useful action instead of defending myself against no attacks.

Maybe that's the problem. I was picturing your spear somewhere in I3 or I2 (where the pig was when you threw it) and thus outside the pig's AoO zone.

I'll compile the new set of T3 moves and edit them into this post in a second, btw

Round 3
agadaishio (Maria) -
Zombie Pixie (Eric) -
smartaleq (Gil) -
Lonna (Mara) - Ready action: wait for someone to faint (cheery!)
Boar - Attacks Ovias and misses
Grey Wolf (Ovias) -
Daryk (Tano) - Moves to G4 (Total defence?)
Yeril (Joseph) - Recovers spear, goes to I4?
Leegal_Evil (Epswitch) -

Lonna
2008-03-02, 08:14 AM
{{OOC: I don't think it makes much difference, but Mara was on defense during second round; she doesn't move until third round. Then she both moves and readies her healing skills.}}

Daryk
2008-03-02, 08:16 AM
As I read the rule, "Total Defense" is a standard action. Having taken two move-equivalent actions (stowing and drawing weapons) and taking a 5-foot step, I think Tano is out of things he can do in round three.

Edit: Except, of course, for an attack of opportunity if the sow flees.

Yeril
2008-03-02, 08:17 AM
{{OOC: I don't think it makes much difference, but Mara was on defense during second round; she doesn't move until third round. Then she both moves and readies her healing skills.}}

You could move -and- full defence that round.. Infact thats what I thought you did?

Lonna
2008-03-02, 08:22 AM
You could move -and- full defence that round.. Infact thats what I thought you did?

OOC: You can, technically, but Eric and Joseph both got bitten after Mara's turn, so she had no reason to move until then.

lawful_evil
2008-03-02, 08:22 AM
Epswitch

Having gotten lucky the previous two rounds(!), Epswitch decide staying alive and unharmed is his most productive action.

Epswitch will focus on just getting in a tree.

Normally maps and initiative order and combat results and all that is done by the GM, so I'm pretty much going to ignore them until ST says they are endorsed.

Also.. be sure to see my signature.

[roll0]

Yeril
2008-03-02, 08:28 AM
Yeril: I disagree about the positions of players. Eric (G6), Ovias (H6) and Gil (I6) are aligned in row 6, and Joseph is beyond the pig recovering his spear - you can still flank against Eric if Joe is in I6. I assume G5 is a tree, and thus not conductive to standing in that spot?

I'm... confused too now..

Look lets make it simple, You make a list of where everyone is/should be and what they are doing, and I'll make the map :smallredface:

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-02, 08:59 AM
I'm... confused too now..

Look lets make it simple, You make a list of where everyone is/should be and what they are doing, and I'll make the map :smallredface:

Works for me. I'm going to put where we are at the start of the turn, and indicate any moves. I assume you got to your spear in your second turn, by the way - you were close to the pig, did a full move, got et, but there should've been enough move left to go well beyond it. You can decide if you want to come back and flank in this turn. Obivously, if anyone thinks I'm not interpreting their moves correctly, just let me know

Round 3
agadaishio (Maria) - F6 - Attempts to climb a tree and fails
Zombie Pixie (Eric) - G6 - Attacks and hits for 5
smartaleq (Gil) - I6
Lonna (Mara) - E6 - Ready action: wait for someone to faint (cheery!)
Boar - H5 - Attacks Ovias and misses
Grey Wolf (Ovias) - H6 - Attacks and misses
Daryk (Tano) - F3 - Moves to G4 (Total defence?)
Yeril (Joseph) - I3 - Recovers spear, goes to I4?
Legal_Evil (Epswitch) - F9 - continues to play squirrel

Edit: Legal_Evil, if you really are not going to be able to post much, would you please consider changing your place for Zavulon's? We're pressed enough as it is without loosing another char - maybe IC you can run for help, and he comes? Asuming of course DM allows.

Daryk
2008-03-02, 09:16 AM
As much as I'd like to go total defense this round, I don't think Tano can. He'll just have to rely on the target rich environment for safety.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-02, 09:23 AM
As much as I'd like to go total defense this round, I don't think Tano can. He'll just have to rely on the target rich environment for safety.

Fair enough, deleted that. I assume because you drew the sword? I'm shaky about the move-equivalent actions. At least you're flanking, giving Gil a chance at hitting... in turn 4, unfortunately.

Grey Wolf

Daryk
2008-03-02, 09:38 AM
No worries... I'm not that well versed in 3.5 combat myself. As storyteller pointed out, until we have a BAB of at least +1 we can't draw a weapon in combination with another move action. As I read it, putting a weapon away is always a move action (and Tano isn't going to drop the bow he just spent a week and a half manufacturing). I think Tano still counts as flanking in round three because with a weapon in hand, he still 'threatens' the sow from his side (i.e. he's eligible for that attack of opportunity). I could be wrong in that interpretation, though.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-02, 09:49 AM
No worries... I'm not that well versed in 3.5 combat myself. As storyteller pointed out, until we have a BAB of at least +1 we can't draw a weapon in combination with another move action. As I read it, putting a weapon away is always a move action (and Tano isn't going to drop the bow he just spent a week and a half manufacturing). I think Tano still counts as flanking in round three because with a weapon in hand, he still 'threatens' the sow from his side (i.e. he's eligible for that attack of opportunity). I could be wrong in that interpretation, though.
Ummm... as far as I can tell, there is nothing wrong with your interpretation of the rules - just pointing out that Gil's turn has already passed by the time you flank the beast, and that he cannot get +2 on turn 3 (part of the problem of posting each at our own time is that we may forget who has not yet done the things they've already posted). Gil will be able to use the flank in his turn.

lawful_evil
2008-03-02, 10:16 AM
Swapping would require us to coordinate. So long as neither of us engages in combat, we can stand in the same square. Also, I figured I had to 'move' into the tree's square in order to attempt to climb it.

I can't find a map posted in any of the GM's posts, so I don't know what really is.

jagadaishio
2008-03-02, 10:38 AM
Maria moves to get to a tree with a better angle on the boar and tries to climb up.

Maria moves to E4, then tries to climb the tree in F4.
[roll0]

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-02, 10:56 AM
Swapping would require us to coordinate. So long as neither of us engages in combat, we can stand in the same square. Also, I figured I had to 'move' into the tree's square in order to attempt to climb it.

I can't find a map posted in any of the GM's posts, so I don't know what really is.

Err... I was talking about swapping in and out of the quest. If, like you say in your sig, you are not going to be able to actively post, maybe you should drop from the quest and let Shademan, who wanted to come in earlier, take your place. It is just a suggestion, too - don't take this as an attack on you or Epswitch or anything. I'm just worried about this fight, and I'd like to get it over with - if your character is going to keep trying to climb a tree because you cannot post, I'd rather have someone that can post giving a hand.

Grey Wolf

lawful_evil
2008-03-02, 12:23 PM
{{ GWC - You were the one who told Shademan not to join, not the GM. Perhaps I am just a bit more controlling/anal than storyteller, but if I were the GM I'd have put you in your place and/or dropped you from the game by now. }}

{{ Given each round only takes 2 days to do, I can certainly keep up. Epswitch would not run away from a boar. That's too stupid, even for him. He is much more likely to be able to climb a tree than outrun a boar, heck he's got a 40% chance to succeed, he just haven't yet. }}

{{ That, and the fact that he's actually hit the thing twice, doesn't act to discourage him, it just makes me wonder why everyone else is standing around not doing much. So, even if I wanted Epswitch to flee, it just wouldn't be something he could do IC. }}

{{ Storyteller - Am I missing the posts which resolve each round? Based on my experience in PBP games, I'd expect that everyone posts their actions, then the GM posts a long description of what happened that round. Who hit, who miss, attacks, dodges, descriptions of reactions to attacks, etc. Is there some other thread for the IC stuff, seeing as this thread is dominated by OOC stuff? }}

Zombie pixe
2008-03-02, 02:08 PM
I will attack again :smallsmile:

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-02, 02:34 PM
I will attack again :smallsmile:

((yeril should be aiding another, i woudl liek him to give me +2 AC when he does that))

Ovias is amazed that his friend Eric is not just standing, but willing to press his attack. Feeling shamed, he throws all caution to the wind, even after barely scaping the boar's teeth and lunges with his club

action:Ovias attacks
[roll0]
[roll1]

storyteller
2008-03-02, 02:53 PM
{{ GWC - You were the one who told Shademan not to join, not the GM. Perhaps I am just a bit more controlling/anal than storyteller, but if I were the GM I'd have put you in your place and/or dropped you from the game by now. }}

Are you serious? Grey Wolf only pointed out that the max number of characters for this quest is 8 and that there already were 8 characters. Only players sowing seeds of discord risk getting kicked out of the game, not those who are actually helping the GM or other players.

{{ Storyteller - Am I missing the posts which resolve each round? Based on my experience in PBP games, I'd expect that everyone posts their actions, then the GM posts a long description of what happened that round. Who hit, who miss, attacks, dodges, descriptions of reactions to attacks, etc. Is there some other thread for the IC stuff, seeing as this thread is dominated by OOC stuff? }}

The maps Yeril has been posting show your locations and Grey Wolf's posts show your actions in init order. Thanks Yeril and Grey! I know some people enjoy reading long descriptions but it can be time-consuming to write them and I'm trying to optimize. I'm sorry if you feel that I'm not putting enough effort into the game.

Yeril
2008-03-02, 03:06 PM
Yeah, Lets not do a 8-man fighting party again :smallbiggrin:

lawful_evil
2008-03-02, 05:49 PM
{{ Me yes. 1. Telling players who can and can not join. That is always the GMs area. GMs make exceptions all the time. 2. Stepping into the GMs area of decisions regard combat, maps, etc. 3. Don't get me wrong, he's exhibiting great leadership and such, but if I were the GM, he'd be stepping on my toes in terms of the information/feedback/etc that he is providing to other players.

As I said, I like to maintain more control in my games. As such, when I play in other people's game I do not cede control to the players unless directed by the GM. So, thank you for endorsing the maps and details provided by them. I will treat as such. It is not that I feel cheated or anything, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything and was doing the 'right' thing by listening to the other players. I just wanted to hear from the person in charge, that it was 'cool' :smallcool: }}

smartaleq
2008-03-02, 10:33 PM
Gil will attack with his quarterstaff, flanking the boar.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-03, 12:54 AM
Gil will attack with his quarterstaff, flanking the boar.

[roll0]
[roll1]

And with that, round 3 is over and we can get going with round four:

Round 3
agadaishio (Maria) - F6 - Attempts to climb a tree and fails
Zombie Pixie (Eric) - G6 - Attacks and hits for 5
smartaleq (Gil) - I6 - Attacks and hits for 2
Lonna (Mara) - E6 - Ready action: wait for someone to faint (cheery!)
Boar - H5 - Attacks Ovias and misses
Daryk (Tano) - F3 - Moves to G4 (Total defence?)
Yeril (Joseph) - I3 - Recovers spear, goes to I4?
Legal_Evil (Epswitch) - F9 - continues to play squirrel

Round 4
agadaishio (Maria) - F6 - Moves to H4, attacks and misses
Zombie Pixie (Eric) - G6 - Attacks (with flanking, without help), hits for 2
smartaleq (Gil) - I6 - Attacks and hits for 5
Lonna (Mara) - E6 - Moves to G7, waits for need of healing
Boar - H5 - Attacks and knocks out Eric
---Ready action: Mara: attempts to stope Eric's bleeding, fails---
Grey Wolf (Ovias) - H6 - Attacks, hits for 6 (sorry about the dice fumbling)
Daryk (Tano) - G4 - Attacks, Likely miss (11 + 2 flank +? rapier)
Yeril (Joseph) - I4 (?) - Has a death wish: distracts the boar for Eric's benefit in round 5 (+2 hit). Does not provoke AoO.
Legal_Evil (Epswitch) - F9 - moves to J7

We're just waiting for the boar to eat one of us, and me for some indication of what I did wrong with my dice

smartaleq
2008-03-03, 03:53 AM
Round 4, attack again, from flanking position:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Lonna
2008-03-03, 04:03 AM
Mara Herbswife

In order to be able to reach as many people as possible, Mara moves with the flow of battle {to G7} and again prepares to give first aid as needed {ready action - Heal}.

Daryk
2008-03-03, 06:11 AM
Tano

Screwing up his courage, Tano lunged at the sow with what felt like an unusually well balanced rapier.

lawful_evil
2008-03-03, 06:45 AM

Epswitch, not having much luck with this tree and no clean shot, even with his extraordinary sling skill, decides that desparate times call for desparate measures.

Epswitch takes out his knife and moves around so that he can step into an opening on the far side.

{{ Action : Draw knife. Single Move to J7. }}

Yeril
2008-03-03, 10:53 AM
Joseph Bridgeman

Unless the AoO knocks me into the negatives..

"OI!" he shouts, wincing through the pain and spear in hand, Joseph almost tackles the boar with his spear, trying to force it to the ground, but more importantly, making an opening for Eric to strike more easily.

[roll0] Aid another for +2 to hit to Eric, DC 10

New map, with the positions as noted by Ovias, Thanks ^^
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q70/Yerileikre/borehunt-4b.png

Tell me if theres any mistakes.

jagadaishio
2008-03-03, 03:24 PM
Sick of falling, Maria moves to H4 and tries to stab the boar.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Zombie pixe
2008-03-03, 04:09 PM
((whoo, thanks Yeril :smallsmile: ))

I attack again

Yarghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-03, 04:13 PM
Sick of falling, Maria moves to H4 and tries to stab the boar.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Seeing the creature flanked by Maria, Ovias takes the chance to attack, hopefully connecting this time

[roll=attack with flanking]1d20+3[/roll]
[roll=damage]1d6+1[roll]

OOC: I'll keep updating the first post I make in every page, instead of reposting. Assuming I'm still alive, that is.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-03, 04:17 PM
[roll=attack with flanking]1d20+3[/roll]
[roll=damage]1d6+1[roll]

OK, lets try those dice again:
[roll=attack]1d20+3[/roll] (includes flanking)
[roll0]

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-03, 04:49 PM
OOC: Sorry for the triple-post. I don't dare edit, and I've no idea what I'm doing wrong. Going to try three more combinations before giving up. If several work, the first one is the real one:
[roll0]
[roll]1d20[roll]+3
[roll]d20[roll]+3

Zombie pixe
2008-03-03, 04:54 PM
((
OOC: Sorry for the triple-post. I don't dare edit, and I've no idea what I'm doing wrong. Going to try three more combinations before giving up. If several work, the first one is the real one:

[roll]1d20+3
d20+3

you forgot the "/"

dont worry, post again, and make sure you have EVERYTHING! :smallamused: :smalltongue:
))

storyteller
2008-03-04, 04:24 AM
Gil and Eric hit the boar repeatedly, but it seems to ignore the pain and presses on its attack. Seeing that Eric is both the most dangerous opponent and already wounded, the boar attemps to bite him.

Attack
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]

Ovias also manages to wound the creature, and the boar is bleeding like a... stuck pig. Stubbornly, it continues to fight ferociously as ever.

--

OOC: Round 5 begins.

Daryk
2008-03-04, 06:05 AM
Tano

Tano continued trying to stab the sow.

Attack (with the Flanking bonus this time): [roll0]

Forgive me if this appears out of turn, but I won't be on again for about 12 hours, and I don't want to hold things up.

lawful_evil
2008-03-04, 06:47 AM
Epswitch - Round 5

Seeing an opening, Epswitch plunges through the underbrush and tries to stab the fat pig with his knife.

Move to I5
[roll0]
[roll1] assuming knife is not quite a 'dagger'

I do consider a knife to be a weapon and not an improvised weapon, so I didn't add in the -4, not that it mattered. An improvised weapon would be like a tree branch or a severed limb or saw. A knife is cleared designed to cut and does it quite well, ie the 'knife fighter'.

Lonna
2008-03-04, 11:57 AM
OOC:
In round 4, the boar's sucessful attack on Eric triggered Mara's readied action. She attempts to stabalize Eric (so he's no longer dying). [roll0] Her new initiative falls between the boar and Ovias.

Edit: Sorry, you're still dying... :smalleek: I'll try again in round 5, don't worry.

smartaleq
2008-03-04, 12:44 PM
ooc: could someone advise me as to the wisdom of attempting a grapple, i don't have access to the rules at the moment. pretty sure with flanking i'll make my touch - what happens when i lose my opposed grapple? how many other grapplers can get involved? Can I turn a pin into a hog-tie?

Yeril
2008-03-04, 01:09 PM
I'd like to change my action, since I have just seen Eric get knocked into -6HP, I don't think I'd try and give him +2 to hit for this round..

NEW ACTION
"Eric? Yaagh!" He yells, bringing down his spearpoint inexpertly at the pig.
[roll0]

Attack the pig, no flanking bonus for me :smallfrown:

Zombie pixe
2008-03-04, 01:58 PM
OOC:
In round 4, the boar's sucessful attack on Eric triggered Mara's readied action. She attempts to stabalize Eric (so he's no longer dying). [roll0] Her new initiative falls between the boar and Ovias.

Edit: Sorry, you're still dying... :smalleek: I'll try again in round 5, don't worry.

((Haha, dont worry. If i had diehard id still be franticly hacking away at the pig right now :smallamused: ))

Eric colapses in a eruption of blood and laughter, gigling as he falls into unconciousness.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-04, 02:44 PM
Round 4
agadaishio (Maria) - F6 - Moves to H4, attacks and misses
Zombie Pixie (Eric) - G6 - Attacks (with flanking, without help), hits for 2
smartaleq (Gil) - I6 - Attacks and hits for 5
Lonna (Mara) - E6 - Moves to G7, waits for need of healing
Boar - H5 - Attacks and knocks out Eric
---Ready action: Mara: attempts to stope Eric's bleeding, fails---
Grey Wolf (Ovias) - H6 - Attacks, hits for 6 (sorry about the dice fumbling)
Daryk (Tano) - G4 - Attacks, Likely miss (11 + 2 flank +? rapier)
Yeril (Joseph) - I4 (?) - Attacks and misses
Legal_Evil (Epswitch) - F9 - moves to J7
---Automatic check: Eric becomes stable (It's just a flesh wound!)---

Round 5
agadaishio (Maria) - H4 - Attacks and misses
Zombie Pixie (Eric) - G6 - atable at -6 HP
smartaleq (Gil) - I6 - attacks and hits for 1
Boar - H5 - Attacks and misses
Lonna (Mara) - E6 - Tries to heal Eric but fails
Grey Wolf (Ovias) - H6 - Hits for 5
Daryk (Tano) - G4 - Attacks, closely misses?
Yeril (Joseph) - I4 - Attacks and misses
Legal_Evil (Epswitch) - J7 - Moves to I5, Attacks the pig and misses

OOC: Smartaleq:

ooc: could someone advise me as to the wisdom of attempting a grapple, i don't have access to the rules at the moment. pretty sure with flanking i'll make my touch - what happens when i lose my opposed grapple? how many other grapplers can get involved? Can I turn a pin into a hog-tie?

Having checked the rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#grapple) myself, I didn't see much point. That beast has +4 grapple, and anyone not in the grapple would have trouble hitting it instead of you (and it wouldn't defend us from the teeth until we pinned it - unlikely)

OOC: Legal_Evil

Epswitch

assuming knife is not quite a 'dagger'

Improvised Weapons (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#improvisedWeapons)
Sometimes objects not crafted to be weapons nonetheless see use in combat. Because such objects are not designed for this use, any creature that uses one in combat is considered to be nonproficient with it and takes a -4 penalty on attack rolls made with that object. To determine the size category and appropriate damage for an improvised weapon, compare its relative size and damage potential to the weapon list to find a reasonable match. An improvised weapon scores a threat on a natural roll of 20 and deals double damage on a critical hit. An improvised thrown weapon has a range increment of 10 feet.

(Ovias will wait for the Pig's actions)

OOC: Legal_Evil: I think we need to know if you attacked in round 4. Yeril and I disagree, it seems
OOC: Mara, you get to perform a different action in round 5. Eric stabilised on his own

smartaleq
2008-03-04, 02:48 PM
Gil presses his attack, once more furiously striking at the beast's hindquarters with his staff
[roll0]
[roll1]

Lonna
2008-03-04, 02:49 PM
Forgot to roll my heal attempt for round 5.

[roll0]

Edit: Gah! I missed by one!

Yeril
2008-03-04, 03:10 PM
If the pig is still alive at this time, Joseph will make another attempt to impale it.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Map up soon. Now.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q70/Yerileikre/borehunt-5.png

jagadaishio
2008-03-04, 03:24 PM
Maria tries once again to stab the pig.

[roll0]
[roll1]
On the off chance that my above roll turns out to be a crit, here's my confirmation roll.
[roll2]

Zombie pixe
2008-03-04, 03:28 PM
oh wait, stabalisation...

[roll0]

((now that, THAT was Stabalisation :smalltongue: ))

storyteller
2008-03-04, 03:47 PM
The boar attacks Joe:
[roll0]
Damage:
[roll1]

The boar takes 1 damage and is now dying... but somehow it finds strength to remain conscious despite the grievous wounds... it continues fighting!!!

My interpretation of the ferocious ability is that the boar takes damage normally when dying but otherwise fights without penalty.

storyteller
2008-03-04, 03:49 PM
OOC:

That was supposed to be 1d6+3 [4] but 11 probably didn't hit, so it's not relevant.

smartaleq
2008-03-04, 03:52 PM
Gil is incredibly effective for a commoner with a stick.

round 6 action attack with flanking

[roll0]
[roll1]

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-04, 04:06 PM
The boar attacks Joe:
[roll0]
Damage:
[roll1]

The boar takes 1 damage and is now dying... but somehow it finds strength to remain conscious despite the grievous wounds... it continues fighting!!!

Seeing the boar stagger under the many cuts and bruises, Ovias presses his attack:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Daryk
2008-03-04, 07:03 PM
Tano

Tano hoped the dying sow would be put down soon, and thrust again.

Attack (with Flanking bonus): [roll0]

Also: I just read the news that Gary Gygax died today. My hat's off for a moment.

Edit: I think a 14 means if someone who goes after Tano in the initiative order performed an "aid other" action, he'd actually hit.

lawful_evil
2008-03-04, 08:21 PM
Epswitch - Round 6

Seeing the boar begin to really squirt blood Epswitch begins to really frenzy with his knife motions becoming erratic as the bloodlust ravages his halfling brain.

[roll0]
[roll1]

I do consider a knife to be a weapon and not an improvised weapon, so I didn't add in the -4, not that it mattered. An improvised weapon would be like a tree branch or a severed limb or saw. A knife is cleared designed to cut and does it quite well, ie the 'knife fighter'. I did adjust the damage down to 1d2 from last round as it is a small weapon.

lawful_evil
2008-03-04, 08:27 PM
Epswitch

{{ Haha! Another possible crit! }}

[roll0]
[roll1]

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-05, 02:55 AM
Round 5
Zombie Pixie (Eric) - G6 - stable at -6 HP
smartaleq (Gil) - I6 - attacks and hits for 1
Boar - H5 - Attacks and misses
Lonna (Mara) - G7 - Tries to heal Eric but fails Ready action: heal
Grey Wolf (Ovias) - H6 - Hits for 5
Daryk (Tano) - G4 - Attacks, closely misses
Yeril (Joseph) - I4 - Attacks and misses
Legal_Evil (Epswitch) - J7 - Moves to I5, Attacks the pig and misses

Round 6
agadaishio (Maria) - H4
smartaleq (Gil) - I6 - attacks and closely misses
Boar - H5 - Attacks Joe, hitting for 8. Joe faints (-7 HP). Pig bleeds: 1 HP
Lonna (Mara) - G7 - moves towards J4, doesn't make it
Grey Wolf (Ovias) - H6 - attacks and misses
Daryk (Tano) - G4 - attacks and misses
Yeril (Joseph) - I4 - bleeds to -8 HP
Legal_Evil (Epswitch) - I5 - Hits for 1

Just waiting to see if Maria saves Joe's skin, or if we have to go through another round (agadaishio, you might as well post the two actions, for 6 and 7)

OOC: Tano & DM:

Tano
Edit: I think a 14 means if someone who goes after Tano in the initiative order performed an "aid other" action, he'd actually hit.

Can't aid another retrospectively, as far as I know. I'm assuming you missed, although the DM may want to post about it, since if there is more the the rapier than masterwork, you may have hit.
Edit: checked, it's AC16, so unlikely that you have hit

As long as he's not dead, Ovias continues to work his club on the pig:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Lonna
2008-03-05, 03:07 AM
OOC: Mara is actually at G7, not E6. She moved there in round 4. Also, since Eric didn't need stabalizing, she readied Heal instead of using it in round 5. I'll wait and see if the boar finally croaks before posting my round 6 action.

storyteller
2008-03-05, 04:52 AM
Round 6: The boar attacks Joe:
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]

...and takes 1 damage (dying but ferocious).

Daryk
2008-03-05, 06:17 AM
Tano

Seeing another friend fall, Tano redoubled his efforts to skewer the sow.

Attack (still flanking, I believe): [roll0]
Damage (if necessary, though it hasn't been yet): [roll1]

Edit: :smallsigh:

lawful_evil
2008-03-05, 07:16 AM
Epswitch - Round 7

Having managed to pierce the piggy, Epswitch's frantic movements quickly cover him with blood(head to toe). The massive grin on his face fades slightly upon seeing another member of the team fall. Epswitch decides he might be next and takes one more stab and then moves back slightly.

[roll0]
[roll1] (min of 1)

After the attack, take a 5' step to J4.

Lonna
2008-03-05, 07:33 AM
Mara Herbswife

Satisfied that Eric was stable, Mara looked up just in time see Joseph fall, and rushed over to him. Examining his wounds, she hurriedly prepared to stop the bleeding.

"Idiot," she muttered, half to herself. "Why did you yell and attract it's attention when you were already wounded?"

OOC:

Move to J4
[roll0]

Yeril
2008-03-05, 09:02 AM
Joseph Bridgeman

Unless the Boar is Pork before he attacks me, Joseph falls back after a particuarly nasty bite that left him on the floor, bleeding heavily.

[roll0] Stability check 1-10 pass.

edit: not that Im complaining, but Mara can't make it to me in 1 move action and thus cant heal me this round.

Meaning I bleed out to -8 :(

smartaleq
2008-03-05, 10:10 AM
Friends falling all in front of him, Gil does the only thing he can, continuing to strike looking for a killing blow.

[roll0]
[roll1]

jagadaishio
2008-03-05, 11:15 AM
Maria continues to stab at the boar until it is killed or it turns its attention towards her.

Current Round:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
Next Round:
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-05, 12:12 PM
Maria continues to stab at the boar until it is killed or it turns its attention towards her.

Current Round:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
Next Round:
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Round 6
smartaleq (Gil) - I6 - attacks and closely misses
Boar - H5 - Attacks Joe, hitting for 8. Joe faints (-7 HP). Pig bleeds: 1 HP
Lonna (Mara) - G7 - moves towards J4, doesn't make it
Grey Wolf (Ovias) - H6 - attacks and misses
Daryk (Tano) - G4 - attacks and misses
Yeril (Joseph) - I4 - bleeds to -8 HP
Legal_Evil (Epswitch) - I5 - Hits for 1

Round 7
smartaleq (Gil) - I6 - Attacks and misses
Boar - H5 - Attacks and hits Maria for 8
Lonna (Mara) - J4 - arrives to J4, makes Joe stable
Daryk (Tano) - G4 - Attacks and misses
Yeril (Joseph) - I4 - stable at -8 HP
Legal_Evil (Epswitch) - I5 - Attacks, misses, withdraws to J4

Ovias attacks again
[roll0]
[roll1]

Daryk
2008-03-05, 07:47 PM
Tano

Tano desperately continued trying to put down the sow.

storyteller
2008-03-06, 01:31 AM
Round 7: The boar

Now that the two dangerous opponents are down, the boar turns to attack Maria who killed its offspring.

Attack:
[roll0]
Damage:
[roll1]

The boar bleeds for 1 hp.

Lonna
2008-03-06, 01:58 AM
Mara Herbswife

Before Mara had even reached Joseph, she heard Maria yell out in pain as the battered and enraged boar turned on her. Too many people falling too fast! Mara thought desperately. I don't know if I can- no, I mustn't think like that. Just focus on one person at a time. Ignoring the nagging mental voice that insisted she would never be able to save everyone, Mara focused on Joseph, making sure she had stopped the worst of the bleeding before hurrying to check on Maria.

Round 8:
Move to H3
Heal Maria (if she doesn't stablize unaided) [roll0]

Daryk
2008-03-06, 06:29 AM
Tano

Gritting his teeth as yet another friend fell, Tano stabbed again.

Attack (with flanking): [roll0]

Edit: Well, if we're lucky, it'll bleed out before putting us all down.

lawful_evil
2008-03-06, 08:32 AM
Epswitch - Round 8

Seeing the woman attack, Epswitch smiles internally. Got what she had coming to her.. or was that the other woman? Still... we'd better take care of this beast soon. Epswitch shrugs slightly and steps back up and stabs at the beast again.

Move back to I5
[roll0]
[roll1] Min of 1

smartaleq
2008-03-06, 09:46 AM
Swinging with full force, Gill attempts to put the beast down
[roll0]
[roll1]

edit: as I had initiative over the boar, is the cumulative 11+? dmg done past 0 enough to knock the cursed swine out before he chomps another one of us?

jagadaishio
2008-03-06, 11:27 AM
Rolling a d% to stabilize, if I fail I'm down to -6.

[roll0]

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-06, 01:25 PM
Swinging with full force, Gill attempts to put the beast down
[roll0]
[roll1]

edit: as I had initiative over the boar, is the cumulative 11+? dmg done past 0 enough to knock the cursed swine out before he chomps another one of us?

It would be, except that is your action for round 8, which is starting now:

Round 7
smartaleq (Gil) - I6 - Attacks and misses
Boar - H5 - Attacks and hits Maria for 8, bleeds 1 HP
Lonna (Mara) - J4 - arrives to J4, makes Joe stable
Daryk (Tano) - G4 - Attacks and misses
Legal_Evil (Epswitch) - I5 - Attacks, misses, withdraws to J4

Round 8
agadaishio (Maria) - H4 - Bleeds to -6 HP
smartaleq (Gil) - I6 - Attacks and Hits for 2 HP - pig dead?
Boar - H5 -
Lonna (Mara) - J4 - arrives to H4, makes Maria stable
Grey Wolf (Ovias) - H6
Daryk (Tano) - G4
Legal_Evil (Epswitch) - I5

(Will add further attacks to round 8 - like Epswitch's - if the pig survives Gil and his own turn)

smartaleq
2008-03-06, 03:14 PM
Mine was the first action of round 8, hence the question

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-06, 03:24 PM
Mine was the first action of round 8, hence the question

OOC: Sorry, I see what you meant now. I thought you were refering to killing it before she chomped Maria. At any rate, you can see I also think the pig is dead, and good thing because either Gil or Ovias had to be the next one, and that thing doesn't seem to miss or do less than 7 damage

Yeril
2008-03-06, 03:37 PM
Sorry about the not-getting-a-map-up, Ive been in a "meh, the pig is dead next round I wont bother" for about the past 3 rounds :smalleek:

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-06, 04:28 PM
Sorry about the not-getting-a-map-up, Ive been in a "meh, the pig is dead next round I wont bother" for about the past 3 rounds :smalleek:

To be fair, the map has not changed that much, unless you were planning in changing the colour dots for coloured skulls... About the only movement has been from Mara, trying to keep up with the faiting "hunters" (we are a pathetic bunch of fighters, aren't we?)

storyteller
2008-03-06, 04:39 PM
The boar squeals one last time and goes down, finally.

OOC: Yay! 175 xp everyone! And 50 food units (equivalent of 50 rations). 100 gp worth leather for crafting. If someone is still bleeding, roll stabilization and Heal checks.

Yeril
2008-03-06, 04:48 PM
Horray! Time for somone to lug 2 boars and 3 people back to camp. :smallbiggrin:

Lonna
2008-03-06, 05:02 PM
OOC: If someone is still bleeding, roll stabilization and Heal checks.

Even though Mara technically didn't stabalize Maria before the boar went down, her heal check would have- can that count? Oh, and for you wounded folk, you'll be conscious again in a day and a half (two full days for Joseph). Maria will be back to full capacity after another 8 hours of rest; Eric and Joseph will each need a full day's rest after regaining consciousness to return to full strength.

Horray! Time for somone to lug 2 boars and 3 people back to camp. :smallbiggrin:

Someone meaning me, Tano, Gil, Epswitch and Ovias, since we're the only ones left standing. Though I'm not sure how much help Epswitch will be, just on account of his size.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-06, 05:26 PM
Even though Mara technically didn't stabalize Maria before the boar went down, her heal check would have- can that count? Oh, and for you wounded folk, you'll be conscious again in a day and a half (two full days for Joseph). Maria will be back to full capacity after another 8 hours of rest; Eric and Joseph will each need a full day's rest after regaining consciousness to return to full strength.

Ummm... Since they regain 4 HP a day for full rest, wouldn't Eric and Joe need two days, since they have 7HP each?

Someone meaning me, Tano, Gil, Epswitch and Ovias, since we're the only ones left standing. Though I'm not sure how much help Epswitch will be, just on account of his size.

I already RPed in IC that I'm taking Joe and as much food as I can carry. Not sure how, really, but some kind of stretchers would be ideal at this point. I assumed it was part of the healing act. At the end of the sunken ship the DM allowed us to hand wave the final details, so I went ahead and assumed the same for this one. Now I'm worried maybe I was a little too quick at that...

lawful_evil
2008-03-06, 05:37 PM
Epswitch

Epswitch stands up tall and says, "I can help. If you want to carry the food back, I'll stay and watch over the fallen till you can return with help. I have several ladders by the pond which will make capable, if uncomfortable stretchers, but of course, someone will need to get them and we'll need help to carry them."

{{ pp 146 - Unconscious people(attended) can become conscious(and disabled) much sooner than that. 10% chance per hour. When that happens, they can limp and crawl under Epswitch's supervision. }}

Lonna
2008-03-06, 07:14 PM
Ummm... Since they regain 4 HP a day for full rest, wouldn't Eric and Joe need two days, since they have 7HP each?

You're right, I was confused. Still, if we assume this took place early in the week, everyone will be fully functional by week 3. And we brought back enough meat to more than make up for losing what Maria and Joseph would have brought in (I can't remember what Eric was doing week 2, sorry).

I already RPed in IC that I'm taking Joe and as much food as I can carry. Not sure how, really, but some kind of stretchers would be ideal at this point. I assumed it was part of the healing act. At the end of the sunken ship the DM allowed us to hand wave the final details, so I went ahead and assumed the same for this one. Now I'm worried maybe I was a little too quick at that...

Between that post and lawful_evil's post here, I think it's covered. We get everyone and everything back, and Mara tends to the wounded until they recover.

lawful_evil
2008-03-06, 08:06 PM
{{ okey dokey. I'll unsubscribe now. }}

{{ Is anyone going to recover the net trap thing and rope stuff? If not... :smallbiggrin: }}

Daryk
2008-03-06, 08:15 PM
Tano

Using his tools to cut several sturdy poles, Tano laid them next to each other, and moved to de-rig the rope trap.

"Gil, I think we can make a functional stretcher, if you're willing," he said, placing the rope next to a pair of poles. "That should enable us to get at least one more back to camp before Ovias returns."

Edit: Ninja'd. Nevermind.

smartaleq
2008-03-06, 10:12 PM
Magically, everyone, and all the supplies, were returned to camp - and by exploration time of week 3 everyone is healthy again!

storyteller
2008-03-07, 03:12 AM
Ain't nothing magical about that. It's realistic to assume that everyone gets back to the camp since you're no longer in danger or hurry.

Quest completed - thread closed.