PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #533 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2008-02-24, 10:17 AM
New comic is up.

Krytha
2008-02-24, 10:19 AM
AAAhahhahahahaa!! And... his whiskers! Also point... to the... um.. mice in the wall...

picklepenguin
2008-02-24, 10:21 AM
Wow...another two page! I AM SO HAPPY! And I wonder...why don't they just serve Mr. Scruffy rather than Thanh?

Samiel_Fronsac
2008-02-24, 10:22 AM
Fantastic Strip! Go Giant, Go!

FujinAkari
2008-02-24, 10:22 AM
Woo! Posted as I was here! How lucky is that?

Thankee Giant! All Hail King Scruffy!

Yendor
2008-02-24, 10:23 AM
He IS the true ruler of Azure City! All praise Lord Scruffy!

Oh, and I totally called Haley's leaving improving matters with the resistance. Not anything like this, admittedly...

Baal
2008-02-24, 10:23 AM
Belkar's the one who knows how to get stuff done around here. My maaan. :smallyuk:

Gamerlord
2008-02-24, 10:24 AM
sweet it just updated as i logged in!

:smallsmile: :smallsmile: :smallsmile: :smallsmile: :smallsmile: :smallsmile: :smallsmile:

Ichneumon
Interesting.

Emperor Demonking
Oh that's brilliant.

jmucchiello
2008-02-24, 10:25 AM
Amazing how those two couldn't agree on anything just 10 minutes ago.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-02-24, 10:27 AM
Ah, yes! Politics at its finest!

"The tail is pointing at Thahn, he must become our new leader!"

PollyOliver
2008-02-24, 10:27 AM
Tee hee, that was hilarious. Thanks for the great comic!

Miraqariftsky
2008-02-24, 10:28 AM
Alright, now THAT was just DARN BLOODY BLASTED EXCELLENT! HAHAHAHAHA!

I was laughing so hard that I lapsed into a coughing fit!

SoD
2008-02-24, 10:31 AM
OK, that was brilliant, once again I commend your work, Giant.

''The cat...is also near the paladin there.''

Kaerou
2008-02-24, 10:32 AM
Eyepatch rogue/fighter is awesome.

And Mr Scruffy wins again!

Gerli
2008-02-24, 10:32 AM
Hahaha Great comic.. :smallbiggrin:

FujinAkari
2008-02-24, 10:33 AM
I can just imagine what was going through those two's head... "DAMN it! The last ruler was crazy and made us clean poop... this one is insane and wants deathmatches.... erm..."

Zordrath
2008-02-24, 10:36 AM
Go Mr Scruffy! Yay! :smallbiggrin:

Ronsian
This has been the first comic in a while to have me rolling on the floor with laughter, thanks Giant! :smallsmile:

Gamerlord
the ultra-hateing dude looks like that dude who got puked on in 430.. :smallamused:

shaddy_24
2008-02-24, 10:37 AM
Heh, poor Thanh. He's been suddenly thrust into leadership.

HUMVEE Driver
2008-02-24, 10:40 AM
Finally! This has been just what I was waiting for. I just can't believe all of it! The characters are acting just as if they were real, and it is truly
running as it should. Something in the back of my mind are the predictions spouted by the Oracle. I assume they'll all come true, but have any come true already? I guess we will have to wait and see.

Personally, I'm still kind of wondering what happened to the Linear Guild, and who can forget Helga? (I do think tha was 'er name; Dwarf speak is good) I really hope they will finally be getting back in the game. This is enough, but I want more!

Ascension
2008-02-24, 10:41 AM
Beautiful. I wonder how long it'll take for what they just said to soak through Thanh's head... :smallbiggrin:

BlueHelmet
2008-02-24, 10:41 AM
very nice one. you know, politics actually works like that.

Aurorax
2008-02-24, 10:45 AM
Go Scruffy the peacemaker!

SteveMB
2008-02-24, 10:45 AM
Fancy mediation skills 0; Cat 1.

Avor
2008-02-24, 10:46 AM
"His tail does seem to be pointing in that direction"

Paladin Logic can also be used to prevent stupidity, such as:

"Then I want you to all draw lots and duel to the death for my ammusment in a giant kung fu blood tournament"

Faltenin
2008-02-24, 10:50 AM
Hmmm... let's hope he's completely over that Domination spell...

That would be a bit awkward!

Pyro
2008-02-24, 10:57 AM
Nice...

Well at least Haley doesn't have to worry about the resistance anymore.

hajo
2008-02-24, 10:58 AM
Being at the right place, at the right time :smallbiggrin:

Kurald Galain
2008-02-24, 10:59 AM
That was too funny :)

Courier
2008-02-24, 11:01 AM
Haha, funny comic. You have to love that paladin logic.

Belkar Rocks
2008-02-24, 11:06 AM
As much as I love my man Belkar, he just isn't the leader type. It's probably for the best that his leadership of the United Resistance lasted all of a record-breaking 15 seconds, if that. :smallamused:

Now I'm just waiting for them all to get out of town so the B-ster can do what he does best: Kill things. :smallcool:

JasonDoomsblade
2008-02-24, 11:08 AM
Nothing says comedy like 2 idiots taking orders from a cat.

SPoD
2008-02-24, 11:08 AM
Haha, funny comic. You have to love that paladin logic.

Huh?? What makes you think either of the leaders of the two resistance groups are paladins? They look like a fighter and a rogue (or rogue/fighter) to me. Their willingness to kill one another over an insult certainly isn't terribly paladin-like.

If they were paladins, they would all be allies already, because they would see that none of them had Fallen and thus they were all still on the same side.

Project_Mayhem
2008-02-24, 11:11 AM
Hah, poor Hayley does get called a whore a lot.

battleburn
2008-02-24, 11:13 AM
Multiple Interpretations indeed.
She should have started by telling them the rules of the negotiation. Like letting someone finish what he/she has to say instead of interrupting. Hmmm... What else...
Oh Yeah, how could I forget. No weapons at the negotiating table.

I thought paladins were honour bound. They should have no trouble trusting each other here. Negotiations have strict rules. Negotiators are safe, the hosting group would lose all honour if they were harmed. For the messenger, the same rules should apply. That they feared for the messengers must mean that the relations are really messed up. Or Rich doesn't think paladins care about these rules.

I liked the comic, especially the confirmation that there really is more to that cat than meets the eye.

-Battleburn

Mojique
2008-02-24, 11:14 AM
Sexy shoeless Lord Belkar I. ... for a few seconds. :smallbiggrin:

SPoD
2008-02-24, 11:15 AM
I thought paladins were honour bound. They should have no trouble trusting each other here. Negotiations have strict rules. Negotiators are safe, the hosting group would lose all honour if they were harmed. For the messenger, the same rules should apply. That they feared for the messengers must mean that the relations are really messed up. Or Rich doesn't think paladins care about these rules.

Or they're not paladins! The simplest explanation is that they are not paladins AT ALL, thus obviating the need to discuss whether or not they acted like paladins.

Tredrick
2008-02-24, 11:22 AM
One of them mentions their senses. That would imply they either are a paladin or a spell caster who could determine alignment/read thoughts.

The only question is: Will Mr. Scruffy leave with Belkar or stay and rule with Thanh?

Avor
2008-02-24, 11:22 AM
Palidin or not, they used Palidin logic.

battleburn
2008-02-24, 11:24 AM
Or they're not paladins! The simplest explanation is that they are not paladins AT ALL, thus obviating the need to discuss whether or not they acted like paladins.

I saw your previous post suggesting exactly that, right after I posted it. Still, why are they so distrustful of these negotiations. No one will hurt them, because that would just make sure that the other resistances would work together to beat the traitors. I mean, I don't think they would send in their leader. Besides, Haley's resistance surrendered their headquarters location. The other groups now know that, so Haley has made their own position vulnerable to attack. That should count for something.

-Battleburn

HOLEkevin
2008-02-24, 11:24 AM
Just because two guys have the same class and alignment doesn't mean that they are carbon copies of each other. They might still think entirely differently and disagree over everything. However, we've also seen previous examples of non-paladins in Shinjo's court, so I kinda think the paladin argument is moot any way you look at it.

In any case, I have been loving the past several strips. I enjoy getting the double-sized since the longer strips work better for immersion which is where the big fun is. I love all the characters but Roy's involvement serves the same funtion as having a little bit of black in a design… it gives you a grounding point so you can tell how high the rest of the colors are flying. Roy makes everyone else funnier.

I'm gonna be even happier when those server issues are fixed up! :smallsmile:

SPoD
2008-02-24, 11:25 AM
One of them mentions their senses. That would imply they either are a paladin or a spell caster who could determine alignment/read thoughts.

Or she meant her eyes. As in, from what she saw, he is not righteous.

Palidin or not, they used Palidin logic.

Huh? They used superstitious logic: the logic of someone who thinks that everything is a Sign From Above. Hardly a trait reserved for paladins.

SteveMB
2008-02-24, 11:26 AM

That was just a sarcastic rejoinder -- Eyepatch was really saying that "Lord Hinjo's holy righteousness" cannot be detected because it does not exist.

SPoD
2008-02-24, 11:34 AM
Still, why are they so distrustful of these negotiations. No one will hurt them, because that would just make sure that the other resistances would work together to beat the traitors.

No, it wouldn't. All three resistances were opposed on idealogical grounds; no two of them would EVER team up, that was the whole point. Even though both thought Haley was Evil, they STILL wouldn't help each other fight her group.

Plus, each of those representatives probably thought they were walking into a trap set by Haley (or worse, Haley AND the other representative, working together). What if the HQ location was a fake, meant to lure them into an ambush?

I mean, I don't think they would send in their leader. Besides, Haley's resistance surrendered their headquarters location. The other groups now know that, so Haley has made their own position vulnerable to attack. That should count for something.

Not everyone in the world operates from a position of logic or rational thought. If these were reasonable people, they would have joined forces months ago. They didn't, so we must conclude that they are completely UNreasonable.

Vectner
2008-02-24, 11:35 AM
Serendipity at it's finest.

Extispex
2008-02-24, 11:37 AM
I saw your previous post suggesting exactly that, right after I posted it. Still, why are they so distrustful of these negotiations. No one will hurt them, because that would just make sure that the other resistances would work together to beat the traitors. I mean, I don't think they would send in their leader. Besides, Haley's resistance surrendered their headquarters location. The other groups now know that, so Haley has made their own position vulnerable to attack. That should count for something.

-Battleburn

Except, I think the resistance groups already knew the location of each other. At least Haley's group knew where to find the other two. How else would they know where to send the messengers?

factotum
2008-02-24, 11:46 AM
Loved the strip. I also wonder if Mr. Scruffy is going to have to stay in Azure City to reinforce Thanh's leadership. Also, if Thanh gets nicely settled into place, could there be a bit of a problem when Hinjo finally returns?

battleburn
2008-02-24, 11:47 AM
No, it wouldn't. All three resistances were opposed on idealogical grounds; no two of them would EVER team up, that was the whole point. Even though both thought Haley was Evil, they STILL wouldn't help each other fight her group.

Plus, each of those representatives probably thought they were walking into a trap set by Haley (or worse, Haley AND the other representative, working together). What if the HQ location was a fake, meant to lure them into an ambush?
Well I guess you have a point that they thought it could be a fake, but if they send a negotiator, not their leader, than the trap doesn't work. Going in by yourself doesn't work anyway. Weapon or no weapon. You will get slaughtered. A trap wouldn't work so why try it. Still you do have a point that since the teams would never team up, they wouldn't ever trust the other groups and always expect a trap.
But they went to the negotiations anyway, so they are willing to talk, so they must see the possibility of a solution and a possibility of working together in the future.

Not everyone in the world operates from a position of logic or rational thought. If these were reasonable people, they would have joined forces months ago. They didn't, so we must conclude that they are completely UNreasonable.They are unreasonable for not having joined forces months ago. But not even OotS-world is completely black and white. Their acting unreasonable doesn't make them "completely UNreasonable". As I said above, they are there at the negotiation table. They should have put their swords down and try to talk. Otherwise, just stay away altogether.

Except, I think the resistance groups already knew the location of each other. At least Haley's group knew where to find the other two. How else would they know where to send the messengers?

Knowing where to find a member of another resistance is something else than knowing where the headquarters is. They probably know some faces of the other resistance and seen them on stakeouts before. Just watch those places and you will be able to deliver a message.
Think about it. What reason would they have to tell each other the location of the headquarters. None whatsoever. If the other resistances could easily find the hideouts, than the hobgoblins should as well.

SPoD
2008-02-24, 11:55 AM
They should have put their swords down and try to talk. Otherwise, just stay away altogether.

Yes, they should have. That doesn't mean that it was unrealistic or poorly written when they didn't. It just means that these people, at this time, didn't do what was their best option. Hardly the first time in the history of the world.

teratorn
2008-02-24, 11:59 AM
Also, if Thanh gets nicely settled into place, could there be a bit of a problem when Hinjo finally returns?

Thanh is above all a paladin, and Hinjo is the highest ranking in the SG.

battleburn
2008-02-24, 12:03 PM
Yes, they should have. That doesn't mean that it was unrealistic or poorly written when they didn't. It just means that these people, at this time, didn't do what was their best option. Hardly the first time in the history of the world.It just annoys me to see this kind of people in the strip, because I see too much of them during daily life.
But, I never said I didn't like the comic. The contrary. I like the style and it was necessary for the joke that they reacted like this. It just reminds me a lot of discussions and negotiations I have been in.
Back to my argument of what really went wrong. It wasn't the fault of the people that came to negotiate. I was another misinterpretation by Celia about human psychology. She should have realised how bad the relations were between the groups and immediately started with ground rules.

Better for the negotiations, but worse for the comic.

Dak Frostwrath
2008-02-24, 12:04 PM
Awesome comic giant, hilarious as always!

Yendor
2008-02-24, 12:04 PM
Not to mention the rightful lord of the city.

Semidi
2008-02-24, 12:05 PM
"Subject to Multiple Interpretations" eh, reading it, several jumped right at me, but discussing the interpretation would break the forum rules regarding the R-word and the P-word.

Still though, my favorite comic since the symbol of insanity strip... or the Miko in two pieces strip.

silvadel
2008-02-24, 12:11 PM
The big problem here comes with the fact that Belkar will want to take his cat with him on the whirlwind adventure and the cat is what is keeping the resistance groups together.

----

You are hereby elected to rule under one condition -- you must constantly be under the effects of an owls wisdom spell.

warmachine
2008-02-24, 12:12 PM
I wanna know why the two representatives regard Mr Scruffy as blessed and a sign from Lord Shojo, besides being funny. Enough to stop a fight. I've heard of ancestor worship but not signs from cats. Why would they care what (they think) a senile old man thinks? This is either another case of artistic license or the Japanese are even weirder than I thought.

Kish
2008-02-24, 12:25 PM
...No, it really wouldn't. Non-spellcasting humans generally have five senses. Besides which, do you seriously mean to be suggesting that a paladin who cast Detect Evil on Hinjo would get a positive reading?

I'd be much more concerned about his apparently quite low Will save than his loyalty.

Forealms
2008-02-24, 12:29 PM
Awesome. Simply awesome. Though I would have liked to see the discussions, I am looking forward to it in the next few comics. Preferably. *nudge, nudge*

Woof
2008-02-24, 12:29 PM
Scruffylicious! :smallbiggrin:

Moff Chumley
2008-02-24, 12:32 PM
Indeed. That was truly the best negotiation ever... :biggrin:

SPoD
2008-02-24, 12:54 PM
I wanna know why the two representatives regard Mr Scruffy as blessed and a sign from Lord Shojo, besides being funny. Enough to stop a fight. I've heard of ancestor worship but not signs from cats. Why would they care what (they think) a senile old man thinks? This is either another case of artistic license or the Japanese are even weirder than I thought.

Well, he's not a senile old man to them; he's the last 100% legitimate ruler of the city, chosen by the Twelve Gods themselves to rule. And considering the cat has no business showing up where it just did, the incongruity could easily make a superstitious person assume it was an omen.

Also, the cat managed to survive the explosion of the castle (from their point of view), which would go a long way to treating it as blessed.

EDIT: Also, what is this "Japan" you speak of? I'm not familiar with any characters in this comic that are "Japanese", only Azurites.

SolkaTruesilver
2008-02-24, 01:16 PM
I'd be much more concerned about his apparently quite low Will save than his loyalty.

I think he rolled a 1-4 rather than having a poor Will save. Everybody can roll badly from here and there.

SteveMB
2008-02-24, 01:24 PM
Besides, Haley's resistance surrendered their headquarters location.

Most likely, all of the resistance groups have contingency plans to abandon their current headquarters as necessary, for obvious reasons.

Mad Scientist
2008-02-24, 01:32 PM
I love Mr. Scruffy! He's helped Haley get out of several precarious situations. I hope he's a continuing character. I think we need a Mr. Scruffy smilie.
I was kind of hoping that Belkar would at least get some booze and dancing girls to end the comic.

The Vanishing Hitchhiker
2008-02-24, 02:27 PM
You know, Roy calling such attention to the fact that he's going along to check on his corpse makes it fairly obvious that something's going to happen. Unless he's going along in case something does happen. In which case it won't. :smallbiggrin:

dsavereide
2008-02-24, 02:47 PM
There's going to be trouble if they try to keep Mr. Scruffy there when Belkar leaves.

warmachine
2008-02-24, 02:48 PM
Well, he's [Lord Shojo] not a senile old man to them; he's the last 100% legitimate ruler of the city, chosen by the Twelve Gods themselves to rule. And considering the cat has no business showing up where it just did, the incongruity could easily make a superstitious person assume it was an omen.

Also, the cat managed to survive the explosion of the castle (from their point of view), which would go a long way to treating it as blessed.
That's good thinking. I keep forgetting pre-Englightenment people (or rather fictional characters based on pre-Enlightenment cultures) think like that.

Hacktor
2008-02-24, 02:53 PM
Great comic Giant... :D

Lunaya
2008-02-24, 02:54 PM
And once again it's Belkar who inadvertently saves the day. XD Awesome.

Courier
2008-02-24, 03:19 PM
That's good thinking. I keep forgetting pre-Englightenment people (or rather fictional characters based on pre-Enlightenment cultures) think like that.

People still think like that today, to a degree, although it's less influenced by religion. How many stories have you heard about sports players who have a lucky sock (or whatever) that they always wear because they wore it while winning a big game?

rosebud
2008-02-24, 03:19 PM
May the twelve gods protect the city because had Thanh had his way (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0516.html), Mr. Scruffy would not have been rescued. Hopefully Niu will manage to run things de facto. I do find the irony of Thanh being elevated by an action he tried to avoid amusing, though.

Speaking of the twelve gods, they really don't seem to have done much at all except make Miko a fallen one.

Warlord JK
2008-02-24, 03:24 PM
Good Comic Giant. I feel the need to devote my entire life to Mr. Scruffy now for his awesomness.

David Argall
2008-02-24, 03:32 PM
the ultra-hateing dude looks like that dude who got puked on in 430.. :smallamused:
Highly likely they merely have the same barber in common. 430 seems to be a paladin and 533 may be some minor lordling who decided to stick with Hinjo.

if Thanh gets nicely settled into place, could there be a bit of a problem when Hinjo finally returns?
Could be. It's enough of a possibility to give hope to those wanting Hinjo to join the party. Leaders of resistances like this and the former ruler always have frictions after they have won. It will likely be settled reasonably peacefully, but such situations are sometimes settled by the execution of all of one side, and while paladins are good and honorable, they are also inflexible and if both decide they are the legitimate ruler, then the other is a criminal guilty of high treason, and things can go downhill rapidly.

It just annoys me to see this kind of people in the strip, because I see too much of them during daily life.
My sympathy, but that means the picture we are given is "reasonable", tho actual negotiations like this often take months to get nowhere instead of minutes.
But messengers offering negotiations are often killed, and the invitees routinely do fear traps, because they have been traps many times. And even when they do sit down in some degree of trust, they often find they hate each other too much or their positions are just too difficult to compromise, or...
Celia was way too optimistic about her little effort.

I wanna know why the two representatives regard Mr Scruffy as blessed and a sign from Lord Shojo, besides being funny. Enough to stop a fight.
The particular is more or less just grabbed at random, but all societies have in varying degree symbols of authority that bestow legitimacy on the holder. And it is routinely good for a laugh to poke fun at the other culture's folly in showing such deference to something silly [while of course not mentioning one's own sacred works before which all should bow].

My own opinion is that Lord Thant will be a disaster. Paladins in general and Thant in particular are just not flexible enough to make good resistance fighters, much less leaders. They don't understand the idea of fighting and running away. Nor hiding, nor most of the other devious tactics a force outnumbered 100-1 must engage in. I'd say he was the 2nd worst choice available.

Of course his two new subordinates may well be able to "guide" him. They have shown the needed flexibility when confronted with a sign from the gods.

Bitzeralisis
2008-02-24, 04:00 PM
Heh heh, blessed cat. :scruffy:

Guancyto
2008-02-24, 04:12 PM
Well, he's not a senile old man to them; he's the last 100% legitimate ruler of the city, chosen by the Twelve Gods themselves to rule. And considering the cat has no business showing up where it just did, the incongruity could easily make a superstitious person assume it was an omen.

Also! If his performance in front of the Order is any indication of his ruling style, the sane and lucid ideas Shojo had were all attributed to Mr. Scruffy. A cat gains a little more credence if it has multiple doctorates in divine law, the origin of the world, planar theory and who knows what else.

theKOT
2008-02-24, 04:33 PM
Huh, apparantly Miko isn't the only azurite who sees signs everywhere.

Also, Celia has that typical college student attitude, that overconfidence about her classroom learning applying to real life.

But really? Azurites are cray-z.

Kyeudo
2008-02-24, 04:37 PM
Am I the only one who caught the Mortal Kombat reference from Belkar?

"Ready, Fight!!"

AyuVince
2008-02-24, 05:03 PM
Am I the only one who caught the Mortal Kombat reference from Belkar?

"Ready, Fight!!"

That line appears in virtually every fighting game. But Mortal Kombat is probably most like what Belkar envisioned.

Mr Scruffy is well on its way to becoming an important recurring NPC. First it survives Xykon's siege and subsequent domination of the city, then it fights and escapes a high-level spellcaster and now it's playing UN secretary general. Quite big achievements for an ordinary housecat...

...yeah, that's what he is, a plain, ordinary housecat. :smallcool:

Ascension
2008-02-24, 05:19 PM
May the twelve gods protect the city because had Thanh had his way (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0516.html), Mr. Scruffy would not have been rescued. Hopefully Niu will manage to run things de facto. I do find the irony of Thanh being elevated by an action he tried to avoid amusing, though.

It's not like he KNEW that what Belkar saw was Mr. Scruffy. For all he knew Belkar was running off after a sack of gold or an unholy greatsword or a pink petunia. He's not necessarily an enemy of the cat.

SteveMB
2008-02-24, 05:32 PM
It's not like he KNEW that what Belkar saw was Mr. Scruffy. For all he knew Belkar was running off after a sack of gold or an unholy greatsword or a pink petunia. He's not necessarily an enemy of the cat.

If he's gotten to know Belkar at all, he almost certainly assumed that Belkar was just looking to loot for personal profit.

Helanna
2008-02-24, 05:39 PM
That was *the* funniest thing I've seen all week. I had a good feeling about #533, but this . . . this was flippin' hilarious.

I was going to quote the comic, but that would involve a post about the size of . . . well, the comic.:smallamused:

Caractacus
2008-02-24, 05:56 PM
I know *I* would follow Mr Scruffy.

Is very good cat. Plays pet cat, political cat, combat cat and now negotiator cat.

Now THAT'S charisma (Chat-risma? :smallwink: )

Impressive. :smallcool:

El_Frenchie
2008-02-24, 06:00 PM
So what happens when someone who's been dominated become the leader? Nothing good. :smallamused:

Ya Ta Hey!
2008-02-24, 06:08 PM
Thanh has a mustache of command. He'll do fine.

LtNOWIS
2008-02-24, 07:05 PM
Yes, they should have. That doesn't mean that it was unrealistic or poorly written when they didn't. It just means that these people, at this time, didn't do what was their best option. Hardly the first time in the history of the world.

Right. See for example the communist vs. nationalist resistance movements in WWII.

This certainly is a good development for the Resistance. Although, I hope they can survive without PCs around.

Comedian
2008-02-24, 07:05 PM
Arrgh Coke through the Nose and all over the Keybord......

Good one !

Dark Wolf
2008-02-24, 07:42 PM
I was barely 2 scenes in before I realised what will eventually happen.

Haley, Belkar, Celia (and Roy) will leave. 10 seconds later Xyklon and his horde burst in and exterminate the resistance.

Rockphed
2008-02-24, 07:43 PM
Loved the strip. I also wonder if Mr. Scruffy is going to have to stay in Azure City to reinforce Thanh's leadership. Also, if Thanh gets nicely settled into place, could there be a bit of a problem when Hinjo finally returns?

I forsee That Thanh will Gladly give stuff up to Hinjo just to stop having to deal with the Insanity of the resistance leaders!

JessmanCA
2008-02-24, 08:07 PM
Hahaha, I loved the pissed off NPCs, they sound like 90% of the encounters in Baldur's Gate.

"Hey guys, let's work out a mutually acceptable solution for peace"

"Harlot! Spawn of Evil! Usurper to the throne! DIE!!"

lol

kossuth's_spark
2008-02-24, 08:15 PM
i don't understand why they think that Mr.Scruffy makes the decision on who leads

chibibar
2008-02-24, 09:11 PM
i don't understand why they think that Mr.Scruffy makes the decision on who leads

well, the previous comic shows that Shojo always consult with Mr. Scuffy (part of the act if you remember) to make a lot of decision in Azure City. All the lords agree to the "edicts" and thus kept Azure City in peace. Hence the cat is a symbol :) they think Shojo is still guiding the cat to select the next leader of Azure city :)

shylocxs
2008-02-24, 09:38 PM
If I wasn't hoping for a place on Team Evil, I'd want to be part of Mr. Scruffy's entourage. I heard they get all the best catnip!

Jayngfet
2008-02-24, 09:56 PM
aw man, emperor bitterleaf would've made the best welcome home present for hinjo ever

silverarrows
2008-02-24, 10:22 PM
well, the previous comic shows that Shojo always consult with Mr. Scuffy (part of the act if you remember) to make a lot of decision in Azure City. All the lords agree to the "edicts" and thus kept Azure City in peace. Hence the cat is a symbol :) they think Shojo is still guiding the cat to select the next leader of Azure city :)

so wait, let me get this straight....The insane guy's 'voice of reason' is now being directed by the (hypothetically still) insane guy's ghost?
That sentence probably doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but does anyone else get what I'm saying?

Yoritomo Himeko
2008-02-24, 10:40 PM
Ok, what were people saying about the plot moving too slowly? Anyway, wow, this has got to be the best thing to happen to Azure City in a very long time.

I didn't think the Resistance movements would come together so quickly. I just hope it stays together long enough for Elan and the others to come back.

I wonder if Belkar is willing to let go of Mr. Scruffy while traveling with Celia and Haley.

This is yet another really good strip. I can't wait for the next one! :smallbiggrin:

the_tick_rules
2008-02-25, 12:20 AM
wow, that answered so many questions at once. did he just go down the checklist and hit as many as he could?

Elrond
2008-02-25, 12:40 AM
how awesome is the cat

chibibar
2008-02-25, 12:50 AM
so wait, let me get this straight....The insane guy's 'voice of reason' is now being directed by the (hypothetically still) insane guy's ghost?
That sentence probably doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but does anyone else get what I'm saying?

yup pretty much. Remember that some fanatics (this could be a parody) doesn't really need a logical reason to do what they do. These lords are fanatics in their way. They are firm in their belief and the way things are. Anything to them is a sign from "where ever" that might be.

scary huh?

lemonhoney
2008-02-25, 01:10 AM
Wow you'd never think that when we first saw Mr. Scruffy he'd have such an influential role in plots to come.

GJ GIANT YOU RULE YOURE HAWT DAWG YES TO YOU, YOURE GOIN TO HOLLYWOOD WOOT VOTE FOR RICH BURLEW 1-866-GIANT-01

Laurentio
2008-02-25, 02:58 AM
Haley, Belkar, Celia (and Roy) will leave. 10 seconds later Xyklon and his horde burst in and exterminate the resistance.
Maybe. And I add, "Who care"? The Giant has delivered a fast pace on the story (at last) without killing out the humor. I read several web comics, and I can judge this to be one of the very very few able to get this goal.
Anyway, even if the big "badass villain" flat-form the city, Mr. Scruffy will survive. Or it could became an undead pet... every lich need a mummy cat (http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/9/92/200px-ErnstStavroBlofeld.jpg). If you have one, you can call your evil organization "SPECTRE". It's fitting.

About the topic "How came that two resistance leader can be so dumb/fanatic to think that a cat can appoint a leader", my two cent: these guys NEED to believe something. They are in a disperate fight, that they know to be impossible to win alone, and can't join forces without losing the face and respect. It's not that they believe, they WANT to believe.
If you are rational, you live on knowledge. If it fails, you live through faith.

"Everything is lost, we are going to die and no one will help us, and the Gods seems to forget of our pain. But HEY, that its Mr. Scruffy, so everything will go right, at the end"

Laurentio

Morgan Wick
2008-02-25, 03:01 AM

I just realized something: Shojo used the cat to make himself look insane, but it appears to have backfired as the resistance leaders seem to have taken it at face value!

That really was sort of a scene out of "Monty Python and the Order of the Stick". I suspect that, when the Sticks Awards (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34791) reaches this point, this strip will be the favorite in the group of five... (and there are still two more to go!)

And if anyone was proposing that sticking Belkar in charge of the resistance in Haley's absence was a good idea...

EDIT: And what if #534 starts like this:
:belkar:: Look, I don't care who you declare your leader, you could claim that wall or that table your leader for all I care (and you probably would), but I'm leaving with Haley in the morning and I'm taking Mr. Scruffy with me no matter what.
(one of the resistance leaders): Wait, the harlot is departing??
:celia:: Yes! (brief explanation) Now, can we get some REAL work done?
:haley:: Uh, Celia, they already agreed to -
:celia:: Hey, I'm just surprised they've managed to survive this long when they make decisions based on the whims of a stupid housecat. I mean, really, who does that?

Dark Wolf
2008-02-25, 03:29 AM
Maybe. And I add, "Who care"?

I don't care, but it just seems like something that would happen. Story wise it would even make sense. Once you don't need them anymore have them wiped out.

battleburn
2008-02-25, 03:37 AM
Wow you'd never think that when we first saw Mr. Scruffy he'd have such an influential role in plots to come.
Are you kidding? Whole threads spawned to discuss whether or not Mr. Scruffy was or was not the real ruler of Azure city. Later whole threads spawned on the whereabouts of him after the explosion of the castle. Bringing him back is incredible fan service and opens up a lot of opportunities for background stories. Why are they talking about him as a blessed cat? Is it just that he survived the explosion, or is there more to it than that? DUN, DUN, DUNNNN!

Eric O'Really
2008-02-25, 04:35 AM
he he he. mortaaaaal combaaaaat!

nice one belkar. and its clear, that our scruffyness cant rule the resistance. because he couldnt come along with belkar and we wouldnt be blessed to bath in his greatness anymore in the future.

:smallbiggrin:

warmachine
2008-02-25, 05:27 AM
Celia mentions a grade of 3.5, which is presumably good. What is the grading system?

DeepChild
2008-02-25, 06:59 AM
I lost it at "Northern pig-bitch". I mean, how smoothly does that roll of the tongue? Pure gold.

Blaznak
2008-02-25, 08:36 AM
Ok, its official. I'm now pulling for the goblin horde... Sheesh, are these people dim or what!
Later!

DeepChild
2008-02-25, 10:34 AM
Celia mentions a grade of 3.5, which is presumably good. What is the grading system?

Possibly referring to the grade point average (GPA) where an A (highest) earns 4 points, B is 3, and so on. These numbers are then averaged to give an indication of a student's total performance.

If the grade of 3.5 was for a set of classes dealing with a particular subject, then she likely got a mixture of A's and B's in said classes.

Saph
2008-02-25, 11:03 AM

This is what I'm worried about, too. I hope it doesn't happen - I like seeing NPCs be useful. (I've played too many RPGs and CRPGs where the NPCs absolutely could not do anything to help, no matter how much I tried.)

- Saph

Doug Lampert
2008-02-25, 11:37 AM
This is what I'm worried about, too. I hope it doesn't happen - I like seeing NPCs be useful. (I've played too many RPGs and CRPGs where the NPCs absolutely could not do anything to help, no matter how much I tried.)

NPCs are a problem.
1) If competent and active they are likely to take over the story. This is bad.
2) If competent and inactive they are insanely frustrating as your PCs wonder WtF no one else is doing anything to save the world from the horrible evil. This is bad.
3) If incompetent and active they're likely to be more of a problem than a help.
4) If incompetent and inactive they seem too stupid to live.

(1) Can be solved if you have a way to present them as competent but too busy with other problems to deal with the PCs current problem. This is hard without finding a good way to info-dump lots of stuff about what else is happening, and in any case this doesn't work when the PCs problems are world threatening and the others aren't.
(2) Can be solved if getting them off their duffs is defined as a win or a major plot point on the way to a win. But IME most RPG players would rather win by kicking butt than by talking.
(3) and (4) pretty well eliminate any chance of helpful NPCs.

Fact is it's just MUCH MUCH easier to write a scenario if you can simply assume "all NPCs are worthless crap or enemies". Hence you see a lot of it.

Hey, it's still better than, "the PCs tag allong while the NPC solves all their problems."

DougL

Vercingex
2008-02-25, 01:04 PM
Thanh is just what the resistance needs- a unifying figure. Even if he isn't very good at leading the resistance, his presence would encourage cooperation between the groups, who can even function semi-independently with their original leaders.

Andorax
2008-02-25, 01:31 PM
Consider this alternate explantion regarding the other two resistance leaders:

Neither can negotiate, for to do so is to admit they were wrong, and that would cause them to lose face.

So instead, they come up with a (seemingly absurd) justification for changing their minds that doesn't involve either of them giving up what they've said before (it's a "bigger" sign than before).

They're not completely nuts...they're just trapped in their own cultural strictures.

Well that...and they're also both plotting about how to off Thanh and take over "legitimately" already.

They may or may not be Paladins (likely not), but I suspect one or both are Samurai (not the class, the caste...do I need to drag up Miko's explanation from earlier?).

Syraider
2008-02-25, 03:20 PM
Consider this alternate explantion regarding the other two resistance leaders:

Neither can negotiate, for to do so is to admit they were wrong, and that would cause them to lose face.

So instead, they come up with a (seemingly absurd) justification for changing their minds that doesn't involve either of them giving up what they've said before (it's a "bigger" sign than before).

They're not completely nuts...they're just trapped in their own cultural strictures.

Well that...and they're also both plotting about how to off Thanh and take over "legitimately" already.

They may or may not be Paladins (likely not), but I suspect one or both are Samurai (not the class, the caste...do I need to drag up Miko's explanation from earlier?).

i think is true

David Argall
2008-02-25, 03:50 PM

Doesn't really work here.
The idea works best where the hero has been a target of the evil one for some time. Say Xykon had visited the Oracle and been told that only Haley can open the next gate. So he rushes after her and she has a number of cases of just barely escaping encounters.

Here, we are aware of no such plotline. Haley is aware of no Xykon interest in her. [He is probably engrossed in the new Whack-the-Minion game he got on E-Bay and can't be bothered by the resistance.]
Here, the survival of the resistance is plot useful. We have several possible interactions with the PCs in the future, so they should survive.

Twilight Jack
2008-02-25, 04:33 PM
I completely agree with David Argall. How weird is that?

I'm just kidding David; you know I love you.

Lumenadducere
2008-02-25, 07:08 PM
Heheh, this one was great. I was wondering when Mr. Scruffy would come into play - you know he wouldn't have come back if he wasn't going to be involved in the later plot somehow.

Thanh will make a good leader, and hopefully the Resistance will be able to actually make some headway now that they're united.

kabbor
2008-02-25, 07:16 PM
NPCs are a problem.
1) If competent and active they are likely to take over the story. This is bad.
2) If competent and inactive they are insanely frustrating as your PCs wonder WtF no one else is doing anything to save the world from the horrible evil. This is bad.
3) If incompetent and active they're likely to be more of a problem than a help.
4) If incompetent and inactive they seem too stupid to live.

(1) Can be solved if you have a way to present them as competent but too busy with other problems to deal with the PCs current problem. This is hard without finding a good way to info-dump lots of stuff about what else is happening, and in any case this doesn't work when the PCs problems are world threatening and the others aren't.

Another way of solving this is handing off your NPCs to visitors (or players who are a trifle irregular in their attendance) to play. Then they can take full part in the story without them being a worry if they take over for a session or two.

humanpylon
2008-02-25, 08:04 PM
I was just thinking that Roy's "Hmmm I better follow just in case" is mighty convenient considering that once again he's not in the same room as the cat. Giving more fuel to the "cats can see ghosts" speculation.

teratorn
2008-02-25, 11:37 PM
Doesn't really work here.

Haley is feeling goodish and bragging about the tremendous fight she led, and about leaving a united resistence, but back in AC...
But I agree with you that it would be too dark and a bit wasteful.

Thanh had a lot invested in him to finish like that.

the_tick_rules
2008-02-26, 01:59 AM
oh belkar, just when you thought he's gonna change... forget that, nobody thinks that.

Elrond
2008-02-26, 04:14 AM
Belkar's the one who knows how to get stuff done around here. My maaan. :smallyuk:

true so true

Aballistar
2008-02-26, 06:05 AM
Hooray for Life of Brian references!

Scribble
2008-02-26, 08:34 AM
Bahahaha! I love the instant turn around they do about the prophesied new leader.

I still hope Mr. Scruffy leaves with Belkar.

Niknokitueu
2008-02-26, 10:53 AM

This is extremely unlikely to happen.

Let's go through some facts:
1) Roy's prophesy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html). The Orcale makes a comment about plot sequence, then reveals Xykon will approach Girard's gate first.
2) If the comic were to end without Xykon being forced to go to Girard's gate, then the Oracle's comment would have to be false (if he does not get to the gate before the end of OotS, then it cannot appear in the plot, so the plot sequence would not apply).
Hence:
3) Xykon, sometime before the book ends, will have to travel near to Girard's gate.

Here it becomes a bit uncertain, but the easiest way for Rich to arrange this would be for the Azure Resistance to be successful (with probable help from our heroes), and kick Xykon out of Azure City. After defeating his hordes of 1HD hobgoblins with the fleet of moderate-level city guards (remember, the two part-named sub-heroes have gained 5 levels whilst at sea so far due to continual 'monster summoning' attacks, so most of the survivors will be of moderate level by land-fall), Hinjo will either be welcomed by Thanh or usurped by him (either works for the plot), and Xykon will have to run, hide and re-group, before leading an assault on Girard's gate.

What is certain is
4) If Xykon defeats the resistance, he will only need to leave Azure city if he cannot control the snarl from his position of power here.

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu

Qov
2008-02-26, 10:59 AM
1) Roy's prophesy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html). The Oracle makes a comment about plot sequence, then reveals Xykon will approach Girard's gate first.
I just know that something is going to happen such that Xykon & Co. get within the specified distance of Girard's Gate just by coincidence, when they're actually to the next one.

Belkar Rocks
2008-02-26, 11:06 AM

Haley, Belkar, Celia (and Roy) will leave. 10 seconds later Xyklon and his horde burst in and exterminate the resistance.This is extremely unlikely to happen.I agree, but I think a different reason may come into play:
We know from the dungeon days of OotS that Xykon enjoys watching adventurers schlep about killing or being killed by his lower-end minions. As long as they don't pose a serious threat, I believe he'll continue to let the resistance continue to operate purely for entertainment purposes.

PS: Xykon. Xykon. Xykon. Xykon.

humanpylon
2008-02-26, 07:17 PM
Hooray for Life of Brian references!

It's been a few years since I've seen it. What's the reference? Unless you're talking about conflict between different resistance groups like judean peoples front etc

kabbor
2008-02-26, 09:19 PM
I just know that something is going to happen such that Xykon & Co. get within the specified distance of Girard's Gate just by coincidence, when they're actually to the next one.
Yes, considering that that gate is protected by a series of cunning illiusions (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0277.html), it is highly likely that Xykon will not be able to find it. Neither will the Order of the Stick, the Linear Guild, and anyone else who is looking for it!

Watchdog
2008-02-26, 10:16 PM
I have a strange feeling that Thahn is not going to be a good resistance leader...

He seems to put his righteous mission before tactics, and plans. Stereotypical paladin.

MyrddinDerwydd
2008-02-26, 10:25 PM
Dearest Belkar, masochist leader of the Azure city Gladiator corps!
:belkar:

Hopefully Thanh will be, if nothing else, a practical leader of the resistance.

Darkspear
2008-02-26, 10:31 PM
Yes, considering that that gate is protected by a series of cunning illiusions (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0277.html), it is highly likely that Xykon will not be able to find it. Neither will the Order of the Stick, the Linear Guild, and anyone else who is looking for it!

Either that, or they're finally going to have to put some points into spot.

The HORROR!

Morgan Wick
2008-02-27, 01:14 AM
This is extremely unlikely to happen.
Let's go through some facts:
1) Roy's prophesy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html). The Orcale makes a comment about plot sequence, then reveals Xykon will approach Girard's gate first.
2) If the comic were to end without Xykon being forced to go to Girard's gate, then the Oracle's comment would have to be false (if he does not get to the gate before the end of OotS, then it cannot appear in the plot, so the plot sequence would not apply).
Hence:
3) Xykon, sometime before the book ends, will have to travel near to Girard's gate.

Here it becomes a bit uncertain, but the easiest way for Rich to arrange this would be for the Azure Resistance to be successful (with probable help from our heroes), and kick Xykon out of Azure City. After defeating his hordes of 1HD hobgoblins with the fleet of moderate-level city guards (remember, the two part-named sub-heroes have gained 5 levels whilst at sea so far due to continual 'monster summoning' attacks, so most of the survivors will be of moderate level by land-fall), Hinjo will either be welcomed by Thanh or usurped by him (either works for the plot), and Xykon will have to run, hide and re-group, before leading an assault on Girard's gate.

What is certain is
4) If Xykon defeats the resistance, he will only need to leave Azure city if he cannot control the snarl from his position of power here.

After the battle, Team Evil saw its next step as finding out how the other gates were guarded (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0466.html). Not to wait until the rift grew enough on its own to bring out the Snarl. Remember, it's Redcloak who suggests staying at all, so you can't blame it on Xykon's lack of patience (although Redcloak may have a hidden plan he's not letting even Xykon know about, and although I haven't read SoD, Xykon and Redcloak don't come across as knowing much about the Snarl). I see a scenario where we go to Girard's and then Kraagor's Gates (forget Roy's prophecy, the mere existence of two more gates ensures Xykon must leave Azure City), Xykon opens up Kraagor's Gate, and there's no Snarl - because the Snarl already escaped into Azure City after Xykon left. Naturally, that means reality is already being undone so Team Evil and the OOTS have to team up to try to stop it.

I wouldn't put it past Rich to throw us a swerve like that, but if you're going to get that close to Girard's Gate you might as well try and open it, especially since it's probably a long way to Kraagor's Gate. The only way it's even remotely plausible is if they get near Girard's Gate for some unrelated reason, and possibly, don't recognize it because it's hidden "behind an endless series of cunning illusions (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0277.html)".

I mean, I can see them going for Girard's Gate and not finding it despite getting within the radius, but that would be, you know, actually going for Girard's Gate. (And it would sidetrack them enough that the OOTS would have to be really distracted not to catch up to them.) I can't see a scenario where they decide to leave for Kraagor's Gate and just happen to pass close to Girard's Gate. If Girard's Gate were really "on the way" like that, they would likely be going for Girard's Gate in the first place. And even if they weren't going for it, they wouldn't want to come close enough to get sidetracked by its defenses.

Qov
2008-02-27, 01:40 AM
The only way it's even remotely plausible is if they get near Girard's Gate for some unrelated reason.
That's exactly what I meant. They pass within a thousand metres, or whatever the distance Roy specified to the Oracle was, because the gate happens to be down the block from their favourite grocery store, or near a nice place to walk your hellhound, or some other irrelevant reason.

David Argall
2008-02-27, 02:19 AM
I see a scenario where we go to Girard's and then Kraagor's Gates (forget Roy's prophecy, the mere existence of two more gates ensures Xykon must leave Azure City), Xykon opens up Kraagor's Gate, and there's no Snarl - because the Snarl already escaped into Azure City after Xykon left.

The Snarl is ultra powerful and eager to destroy. So if it escapes into Azure City, it's game over. So this is not going to happen.
Now the general idea is possible. Something goes wrong at Kraagor's gate and the Snarl is released there, and all parties must try to stop it. But the Snarl is present at all gates all the time, and there will be no absence of Snarl at Kraagor's.

Other than from an author insanely determined to avoid the obvious, this is not going to happen. Given he is writing a webcomic at all, I am not going to defend our writer's sanity, but he has shown only a desire to fool us on the short run. We all knew pretty much how Haley was going to get her voice back, but not exactly. The approach of Miko was noted for 80 strips, but we had no idea she was a paladin or female until she arrived. The list goes on.
So we follow the hints and know the lich is heading for the Western continent.
We also have the point that this is where Roy is headed too. To have the next battle at Kraagor's, we not only have to find some reason for Team Evil to go to the wrong gate, but for the party to do so as well. This is making it double difficult, and entirely not worth the effort.

shakes019
2008-02-27, 11:31 AM
I'm thinking that we're one or two strips away from jumping to see what Xykon and Redcloak are doing.

We know that X and R can't manipulate the Snarl in its natural form, it needs to be suppressed by the gates to be controlled. So they will have to travel to the next gate (as already stated: the oracle says Girard's).

They will probably try to glean information from O'Chul, with little to no effect, unless he is killed and reanimated as a self-willed undead. Also, it's dubious that he had any info about the other gates anyway, since the SG was honor-bound not to interfere with the other gates.

So they'll need to seek out the Gates in other ways.

Morgan Wick
2008-02-27, 03:47 PM
Re: David Argall:I was with you until this point:
We also have the point that this is where Roy is headed too. To have the next battle at Kraagor's, we not only have to find some reason for Team Evil to go to the wrong gate, but for the party to do so as well. This is making it double difficult, and entirely not worth the effort.
Well, that would also ruin the point of having the Oracle say Girard's while Team Evil went to Kraagor's. The point would be that the OOTS went off to Girard's Gate thinking Team Evil would be there, only to find out they already "came within 1000 feet" and left, and now they have to race against time to get to Kraagor's Gate before it's too late.

osyluth
2008-02-27, 06:00 PM
Yes, we finally get to see some more Thanh! And no fourth wall breakage! Great comic! :biggrin:

David Argall
2008-02-27, 06:24 PM
Re: David Argall:I was with you until this point:
Well, that would also ruin the point of having the Oracle say Girard's while Team Evil went to Kraagor's. The point would be that the OOTS went off to Girard's Gate thinking Team Evil would be there, only to find out they already "came within 1000 feet" and left, and now they have to race against time to get to Kraagor's Gate before it's too late.

But what good would all this running around do?

Now we can have a scene at Girard's, especially with all the illusions, with some variation of Team Evil is in room A looking for the OOTS, which now arrives in room B next door, looking for Team Evil. Not finding them, they go to look in room C, and now Team Evil comes in to search room B. Finding no sign of the party, they return to A just before the party returns from C, which looks around and somehow gets the idea the lich is now in C, so they rush back to C, again just before the lich rushes back from A to B .... We likely add in rooms D, E, & F to give us more near interactions, etc.
This we might have, but the joke comes from the frequency and closeness of the misses. When we are rushing thousands of miles, we just don't get this laugh.

So what is the benefit to having this huge detour?

whorrak
2008-02-28, 07:31 AM
Mr Scruffy, ICHC-style: I'm in ur cities, pickin ur leaderz.

lord_khaine
2008-02-28, 12:15 PM

Xykon cant do anything with the Snarl from azure city, since the gate there was destroyed by some nameless paladin.
that means he is forced to move on and find another gate.

Vreejack
2008-02-28, 12:52 PM
Speaking of the twelve gods, they really don't seem to have done much at all except make Miko a fallen one.

They aren't allowed to interfere except within the confines of the established rules, or in a way that will get overlooked by the other gods. Otherwise, the gods might as well come down from their planes and start battling it out in person. This is why the southern gods told Thor to take a hike.

They won't violate this rule until they are almost all in agreement on it, and that will not happen until it is necessary to destroy the world anyway. Or, some gods might try to interfere in order to avoid the apocalypse but that will just result in a war of the gods.

teratorn
2008-02-28, 02:32 PM
They aren't allowed to interfere except within the confines of the established rules, or in a way that will get overlooked by the other gods. Otherwise, the gods might as well come down from their planes and start battling it out in person.

And conflict between the gods about the material plane was what made the Snarl in the first place.

Morgan Wick
2008-02-28, 07:31 PM
I was just thinking that Roy's "Hmmm I better follow just in case" is mighty convenient considering that once again he's not in the same room as the cat. Giving more fuel to the "cats can see ghosts" speculation.

The more I've thought about that line, the more convinced I am that it is indeed intended as a Chekhov's Gun (or at least Rich intentionally screwing around with us). But I don't think it's for Mr. Scruffy simply because we're running out of time to keep them apart, to the extent that there isn't much point in keeping them apart at this point, because they're going to need to be brought together just before Haley, Celia and Belkar leave anyway, or else one of the following two things will need to be true:
-Roy leaves with Haley, Celia and Belkar, Scruffy doesn't because of the events of this strip.
-Scruffy leaves with Haley, Celia and Belkar, Roy doesn't (and I have no idea why that would be the case).
Either way, the OOTS can't reunite in a way that allows Roy to be rezzed, or else there was no point in splitting the two up other than (in the former case) to tear Scruffy away from Belkar. That, or a member of the Greenhilt clan dies again later.

What do I think it's building to? How about a #534 that shows Roy's hunch is actually CORRECT? Resulting in Roy contacting someone - Niu, maybe - and a message being relayed from there, or at least attempting to be relayed?

osyluth
2008-02-29, 12:46 AM
Xykon cant do anything with the Snarl from azure city, since the gate there was destroyed by some nameless paladin.
that means he is forced to move on and find another gate.

Um, I beleive the paladin who destroyed Soon's Gate did have a name. Miko Mayakazi.

David Argall
2008-02-29, 02:52 AM
Hmm...possible additional frustration for Roy...

Eugene's first message was not exactly clear, and Eugene said there were rules on the subject. Of course, given Eugene's track record, we can't be sure of anything, but he could mean that when Roy finally does contact someone, he won't be able to speak clearly. Say like instead of saying not to open the door with a dozen enemies in plate mail waiting for you, he says "Trust the lust of the rust in the bust", which means there is a rust monster sleeping in this statue of a very well endowed woman, who would love to get at that tasty metal armor, a fact Roy doesn't know either.
But in the short run, Roy and everybody else would have loads of frustration at his inability to speak clearly.

Arkenputtyknife
2008-02-29, 03:01 AM
Um, I beleive the paladin who destroyed Soon's Gate did have a name…
I believe that “nameless paladin” may have been meant in the sense of She Who Must Not Be Named, the Unspeakable Horror from Beyond the Walls of Azure, the Demon of a Thousand Self-Rationalisations…

Hagentai
2008-02-29, 03:09 AM
Roy's death is kind of dragging on. I understand the importance of making a plot last, but it feels like it's being streached just for the sake of streaching it out.

Maybe it's the update speed, who knows. I'm spoiled by looking for groups update pace.

factotum
2008-02-29, 07:31 AM
Well, unluckily for you, it's guaranteed to drag out quite a bit longer considering they need to either reach Cliffport or else wait several weeks for Cloister to expire before they have a chance of resurrecting him...

Morgan Wick
2008-02-29, 10:13 PM
Um, I beleive the paladin who destroyed Soon's Gate did have a name…I believe that “nameless paladin” may have been meant in the sense of She Who Must Not Be Named, the Unspeakable Horror from Beyond the Walls of Azure, the Demon of a Thousand Self-Rationalisations…

Or the post was written from Xykon's perspective, and she's a "nameless paladin" to him (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0465.html). Apparently he didn't recognize her as his own unwitting mole (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0415.html).