PDA

View Full Version : What would you do with this Character Concept

BRC
2008-02-24, 02:41 PM
Alright, I thought up a character. A guy who is either an incrediable vetern or he just got unlucky once, either way he lost one or both of his hands and there wern't any clerics nearbye to give him new one. Because of his his primary weapon is a Stump Knife and Armor spikes.

How would you build such a character at, lets say level 10.

MorkaisChosen
2008-02-24, 03:01 PM
Spiked shield strapped to his arm and Improved Shield Bash, maybe?

Azerian Kelimon
2008-02-24, 03:04 PM
First off, pay for a Regenerate. Then, proceed to create a normal build, unless a deus ex machina intervenes.

If I can't get the hands back, maybe use some variant of multiweapon fighting to attack with hidden blades all over the body?

Or maybe a svirfneblin who is Belwar Dissengulp-esque?

BRC
2008-02-24, 03:11 PM
First off, pay for a Regenerate. Then, proceed to create a normal build, unless a deus ex machina intervenes.

That makes sense in every way, except that the concept is a meele fighter with no hands, so paying for a regenerate would kinda spoil the concept.

Randel
2008-02-24, 03:53 PM
Ideas:

1. Maybe have his boots act as weapons... steel toed spiked boots with weapon enhancements. Kick ass with +3 flaming adamantine spiked boots!
2. Get him a Hand of the Mage to put round his neck, this allows him to cast Mage Hand at will, not nearly a substitute for working hands but should give him a way to manipulate things.
3. Perhaps another item that has an unseen servant spell effect, to help him don his armor when needed.
4. A dancing blade might be good to have, he just needs a hook or something to hold it and release it, maybe put a chain on it so he can reel it in when its about to drop. You could homebrew some kind of weapon ability that lets people without hands use them as if they did.

playswithfire
2008-02-24, 05:00 PM
Ideas:

1. Maybe have his boots act as weapons... steel toed spiked boots with weapon enhancements. Kick ass with +3 flaming adamantine spiked boots!

I agree with this, except they should be boot blades from Complete Scoundrel. Sadly, they take a -2 penalty on attack rolls; are in all other ways considered daggers.

Maybe a dervish and he's some sort of breakdancer? Fun visual.

Can also give him sleeve blades if you'd rather, or in addition.

BRC
2008-02-24, 05:20 PM
I agree with this, except they should be boot blades from Complete Scoundrel. Sadly, they take a -2 penalty on attack rolls; are in all other ways considered daggers.

Maybe a dervish and he's some sort of breakdancer? Fun visual.

Can also give him sleeve blades if you'd rather, or in addition.

There is a hefty weapon in the Arms and Equipment guide called the Stump Knife that will be his primary attack. but I like the idea of him having Boot Knives and Sleeve knives too, in addition to his armor spikes and stump knives.

playswithfire
2008-02-24, 05:54 PM
Right, right; sorry; got caught up in other ways to get around losing a hand; also thought of psychic warrior with graft weapon.

But looking at stump knife, it seems like the threat range is its defining feature, so maybe some warblade or swordsage levels to grab the blood in the water stance. maybe mix in swashbuckler and/or rogue and/or invisible blade. The qoal obviously being int synergy and sneak attack damage

Vexxation
2008-02-24, 05:56 PM
Does unarmed fighting require hands? I doubt it. Take Weapon Proficiency: Handless Stump and go monk.

chormin
2008-02-24, 06:42 PM
The first thing that came to mind when I read this was mouthpick weapons from Lords of Madness. Maybe a mouthpick mace tucked into a coat. Take quickdraw for even more ridiculousness.

Wooter
2008-02-24, 07:11 PM
Max ranks in Use Rope and tie axes to your arms? Just thowing it out there...

Prometheus
2008-02-24, 09:06 PM
Make him a half-golem by grafting iron golem arms onto him
In addition to being badass, he will inexplicably gain resistances and a breath weapon.

MisterSaturnine
2008-02-24, 09:13 PM
He could always go into Monk or Unarmed Swordsage and learn to clobber people with his legs and head and stuff.

Maybe he was a prisoner of war in foreign lands, tried to escape, and got his hands cut off as punishment. He then managed to escape successfully but started starving in the forests/mountains/whatever (hard to get food without hands), and collapsed. Luckily, an ascetic off doing an errand of some sort happens upon him, and brings him back to the monastery. The rest is history.

Solo
2008-02-24, 09:32 PM
Alright, I thought up a character. A guy who is either an incrediable vetern or he just got unlucky once, either way he lost one or both of his hands and there wern't any clerics nearbye to give him new one. Because of his his primary weapon is a Stump Knife and Armor spikes.

How would you build such a character at, lets say level 10.

This is MADNESS!!!

Deepblue706
2008-02-24, 09:33 PM
Have him wield a sword using his mouth.

BRC
2008-02-24, 09:49 PM
This is MADNESS!!!
Madness
THIS...IS...NO HAND FIGHTER!
*kicks Solo into pit*

Grey Watcher
2008-02-24, 10:19 PM
I don't know if I can find it, but there was a PrC in the Homebrew forum that was all about fighting with two shields instead of two weapons. Since he can strap shields to his arms without necessarily needing hands, this PrC might be perfect for him.

EDIT: Found it! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34541&highlight=Oppose+shields)

Xuincherguixe
2008-02-24, 10:40 PM
Monk seems the best way to go. You've still got your knees, elbows, teeth... well you get the idea.

Not having fists isn't a big problem for Monks.

If you did want to use weapons, you could tie them to your stumps.

Mind you, I think a more fun build would be one in which he cuts off one of his limbs and uses that to fight with. And by fun I mean psychotic. Like there's a difference.

SurlySeraph
2008-02-24, 11:29 PM
Mind you, I think a more fun build would be one in which he cuts off one of his limbs and uses that to fight with. And by fun I mean psychotic. Like there's a difference.

You know what? This gives me an idea. A beautiful, terrible idea.

Armchucks, yo!

Actually, you could incorporate something like this into the original character concept. He cut both of his own hands off while experimenting with swordchucks. Undaunted, he attached a swordchuck to each of his stumps with yet another chain.

Squidmaster
2008-02-25, 12:27 AM
If you have a leineint dm then maybe you could be a fighter, atach a lance to both arms, take oversized two weopon fighting, ride a horse and charge everyone. Alternativly you could be a paladin/ranger to cast rhinos rush and do even more damage.

Funkyodor
2008-02-25, 07:38 AM
Just make sure he gets a necklace of Mage Hand or something with Unseen Servant to, you know, 'handle' his daily needs (Eating, Toiletry, Bathing, etc...). Might as well go with a Fighter/Rogue hybrid and TWF those stump knives. Drop fighter bonus feats for Sneak Attack and Bob's your uncle.

Shademan
2008-02-25, 08:03 AM
in the equipment book theres a pretty neat weapon.
the sword glove! with a little smithing you can fint it to his stumps.
BAM!!! DOUBLE WIELDING TWO LONGSWORDS!

Talya
2008-02-25, 08:57 AM
What would you do with this Character Concept

Nothing. I wouldn't play it.

Rigon
2008-02-25, 10:04 AM
i suggest katars or other types of wrist/arm attached blades (if only the "hand" is missing)

actually 300 taught us that each severed limb works as an actual weapon slot (for "the evil army" that is).

also try to gain a minor benefit from the missing hands. about +1 touch AC as you have less surface to hit (but you're still medium sized).

but i must say i hate the idea of an unarmed (or rather non-handed) fighter.
"it's like a wizard without spells, preferred only by those who lost their sanity."
not to mention the fact that he can't wear rings. missing two rings equals failing two fatal saving throws.

CowPuncher
2008-02-25, 04:13 PM
Here's the story:

Devoted soldier gets his hands chopped off in some excessively cruel manner in while serving his kingdom in wartime. No clerics are around who can heal him, but he wants to continue to serve; only problem is, his superior tells him no. Pissed off and wanting to [serve his queen/preserve his family's honor/secure a share of the spoils/etc.], he passes a brutal initiation to become naturalized into a barbarian tribe that is acting as an adjunct to the kingdom's military. This loophole permits him to get back on the battlefield. After the war is won, he discovers that by joining the barbarian tribe he effectively renounced his citizenship and is banished from the kingdom he gave everything for. He turns to a mercenary life (supplemented by some revenge killing) until he can find a way to serve his nation honorably again.

Mechanics:

Get to 4th level, picking up TWF, Hide 4, M. Silently 4 and Intimidate 6 somewhere along the way, dropping no more than 1 BAB; sneak attack or sudden strike is a plus, as is Improved Initiative (some combination of Fighter, Ranger and Rogue is best). Switch to Barbarian (Lion Totem alternate ability) at 5th or 6th level, taking just the single level. From there, take the rest of your levels in Avenging Executioner.

The Perks:

First of all, you don't have to worry about drawing a stump knife, so it's nice for getting the jump on people. You can even walk around town with it, in some cases. Combine that with sudden strike or sneak attack + improved initiative + pounce + TWF, and you're deadly when you get the drop on someone: 30 ft. move plus full attack (plus an extra one for TWF), all with bonus damage. Once you strike, you start scaring people with your avenging executioner abilities, which permits you to keep sneak attacking or sudden striking them. Every time you drop someone you scare all enemies in the vicinity, which synergizes nicely with your many attacks + your high crit range for the stump knife.

The trick is to get the damage up on the knives, which you can do either by focusing on sneak attack damage or by taking Fighter levels and getting Feats to pump it up (crit-based feats, especially). You'll have Avenging Executioner just about maxed at 10th level, so from there you can go to another PrC or back to Ranger, Rogue, Fighter or Barbarian (if you modified the build to include more Barbarian levels, it might be worth going to Barbarian 7 for the Lion Totem Roar ability, which permits you to shake enemies within 30 ft. once per day... or is that redundant with an Avenging Executioner ability? I don't recall.)

Style points for going the Ranger-heavy route and getting a monkey animal companion to be your surrogate hands.