PDA

View Full Version : Statting My Friend Athrogate

DrizztFan24
2008-02-24, 04:38 PM
So for those of you who have read Promise of the Witch-King then you know that Athrogate is a surly dwarf who has a great love for bawdy jokes and rhymes. But I was wondering if you brilliant folks here in the playground would be able to stat him and his gear.
I quote for you from wikipedia

Combat/Weapons: A fierce warrior, Athrogate relies mostly on sheer strength and fury, though these are coupled with a surprising level of finesse. In battle, Athrogate wields two glassteel morning stars (mace-and-chains) with magical properties. The first weapon oozes a brownish-red liquid from the nubs of the striking head which will rust any metal it comes into contact with, softening up Athrogate's target for when the dwarfs follows through with his second weapon, which oozes explosive oil of impact, pulverizing whatever it strikes. While Athrogate seems to lack subtlety in combat, the sheer fact that he can employ two morningstars at once (and to such devastating effect) demonstrates a great skill and profficiency that cannot be underestimated. While already ferociously strong on his own, Athrogate wears a large belt engraved with crossed bolts of lightning, which imbues him with the strength of a storm giant, making him even more formidable. Towards the end of Road of the Patriarch, Athrogate is given a magical gift from the drow mercenary Jarlaxle - a statue of a boar able to summon a demonic boar-like creature aptly named "Snort" for the dwarf to ride, a fierce and chaotic mount which Athrogate takes a great liking to.

When half the sources call his weapons morningstars and the other flails I'm not sure whether they refer to the chained version or a spikey mace. So the way that I see his two glassteel weapons are as spikey heads attached to a length of chain that is wrapped around the hands and forearms.

So who's willing to take up the challenge?

Chronos
2008-02-24, 05:44 PM
When half the sources call his weapons morningstars and the other flails I'm not sure whether they refer to the chained version or a spikey mace.I'm guessing that the character predates 3rd edition. In 2nd edition, a weapon consisting of a spikey ball connected by a chain to a short shaft is called a morningstar, while the same weapon is called a flail in 3rd edition. The first flail appears to cast Rusting Grasp on a hit, which (so far as I know) is not a standard weapon property. There is, however, an Impacting weapon property, which is a +2 equivalent and adds +5 to the weapon damage.

For class, fighter is the most obvious choice, and he obviously has Two-Weapon Fighting. And Grunt would be a Figurine of Wondrous Power, like Drizzt's Gwynhyvar (or however it's spelled). Neither a boar nor a panther is a standard Figurine, but the entry does say that other animals are possible.

More than that, I can't say, not having read the books.

Talya
2008-02-24, 07:12 PM
Athrogate was a great dwarf-stereotype character. I wonder how long he'll survive with Jarlaxle for company.

comicshorse
2008-02-25, 01:22 PM
For those who ahven't read the books. Athrogate is painted as pretty much an unstoppable force. He is the finest monster killer in Damarra and though his fight with Artemis Enteri is cut short it seemed to me that Artemis was the one who was losing