PDA

View Full Version : is hinjo a PC?

Gamerlord
2008-02-24, 07:18 PM
and is that girl with a shark mount one to?

Quorothorn
2008-02-24, 07:30 PM
and is that girl with a shark mount one to?

That registers as "quite doubtful" on my radar. But it's not completely definite I think.

theinsulabot
2008-02-24, 07:36 PM
going for "no" as my final answer

Icewalker
2008-02-24, 07:38 PM
Short answer: no
Long answer: nope

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-24, 07:44 PM
I would have to assume that neither Hinjo or Lien aren't PCs for the same reason that Kazumi, Daigo, and Thanh aren't.

FujinAkari
2008-02-24, 07:50 PM
I believe Rich rather specifically said that there are only six PC's in this comic when discussing why Miko wasn't one.

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-24, 07:56 PM
I believe Rich rather specifically said that there are only six PC's in this comic when discussing why Miko wasn't one.

Speaking of, Rich said that there aren't players so technically there aren't PCs or NPCs.

Szilard
2008-02-24, 08:51 PM
There is at least one NPC: Redcloak, see OtOoPCs.

Yoritomo Himeko
2008-02-24, 10:24 PM
No, the only PC's (as in major characters) are the OOTS, (Roy, Haley, Elan, Durkon, Belkar, and V).

Everyone else is either an antagonist, (Linear Guild, Team Evil) or a supporting character (NPC).

If you mean are Hinjo and Lien going to join the OOTS, then no, they aren't. While they might form their own team in the future, they aren't members of the OOTS.

Spiky
2008-02-25, 12:11 AM
Hasn't Lord Hinjo actually referred to himself as an NPC, in a sarcastic remark to one of the OOTS?

(too lazy to look this up)

Shadic
2008-02-25, 05:47 AM
Hasn't Lord Hinjo actually referred to himself as an NPC, in a sarcastic remark to one of the OOTS?

(too lazy to look this up)

Yeah. It was a punchline for a comic. Roy was depressed to have been tricked by an NPC.

FujinAkari
2008-02-25, 06:05 AM
Yeah. It was a punchline for a comic. Roy was depressed to have been tricked by an NPC.

That was Shojo (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0289.html)

Caewil
2008-02-25, 06:08 AM
Maybe Roy's player is playing as Hinjo until he gets ressed.

FujinAkari
2008-02-25, 06:11 AM
Maybe Roy's player is playing as Hinjo until he gets ressed.

According to Rich, Roy doesn't have a player. OOTS is not a D&D game, merely a parody of the D&D rule system, so there are no players controlling the six characters.

factotum
2008-02-25, 07:01 AM
Hinjo said in #422 "Adventurers, O-Chul. They work better on their own." thus clearly implying he isn't an adventurer...and are there any PCs who AREN'T adventurers?

Quorothorn
2008-02-25, 02:30 PM
Hinjo said in #422 "Adventurers, O-Chul. They work better on their own." thus clearly implying he isn't an adventurer...and are there any PCs who AREN'T adventurers?

Until the last half of OtOoPCs, V wasn't an adventurer, and yet presumably still a PC. So...yeah.

The gF
2008-02-25, 04:20 PM
The PCs in this case would be the main characters-- the members of the Order of the Stick.

Conversely, Hinjo is the leader of a city, and is in charge of many NPCs. Since no PC would ever be given that power, he, too, must be NPC.

luxgladius
2008-02-25, 04:54 PM
According to Rich, Roy doesn't have a player. OOTS is not a D&D game, merely a parody of the D&D rule system, so there are no players controlling the six characters.

This may be true, but he still distinguishes between PCs and NPCs:

Horsecrap. You were the highest level Good character on the field and a PC to boot. It was your fight to lose. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0485.html)

TheOtherMC
2008-02-25, 05:00 PM
If anything hes DMPC, no question.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-02-25, 05:48 PM
Although Hinjo isn't a PC, the question is: could he become a PC?

There are several characters who could be, or were once PCs...

The Order of the Scribble
Eugene Greenhilt (but NOT Julia, yet...), and the other members of his adventuring party.
Sir Francois
"The Other Members" of Roy's original adventuring party

Anyone else? Technically, everyone who considered hiring on with Roy during OtOoPCs would be a PC, as would all the adventurers Belkar sic'ed on Yok-Yok.

Silver2195
2008-02-25, 08:20 PM
Although Hinjo isn't a PC, the question is: could he become a PC?

There are several characters who could be, or were once PCs...

The Order of the Scribble
Eugene Greenhilt (but NOT Julia, yet...), and the other members of his adventuring party.
Sir Francois
"The Other Members" of Roy's original adventuring party

Anyone else? Technically, everyone who considered hiring on with Roy during OtOoPCs would be a PC, as would all the adventurers Belkar sic'ed on Yok-Yok.

The "evil adventuring party" that Plane Shifted to Roy's house in the afterlife.

FujinAkari
2008-02-25, 09:58 PM
This may be true, but he still distinguishes between PCs and NPCs:

I never said otherwise? I'm confused why you would bother posting this, lol.

Bogardan_Mage
2008-02-25, 11:05 PM
Until the last half of OtOoPCs, V wasn't an adventurer, and yet presumably still a PC. So...yeah.
Backstory. V's pre-adventurer existence is just backstory or assumed events due to a PC starting at a higher level than 1. The same is not the case for Hinjo, who is a supporting character in the Order's campaign and therefore an NPC. He's a powerful NPC, and in many ways he may as well be a PC (in that he's not disposable, and at least for now travels with the PCs) but he's not a PC and will almost certainly not become one (if he, or any other NPC, ever did it would be analogous to a new character "taking over" a prominent NPC, which is still not what happened with V)

Ikialev
2008-02-26, 08:59 AM
...Can PC take levels in Aristocrat? >>

ShellBullet
2008-02-26, 09:07 AM

They can only take Aristocrat class in 1st level...

Ikialev
2008-02-26, 03:16 PM
Wow.

And he has more.

ShellBullet
2008-02-26, 03:26 PM
Wow.

And he has more.

I am afraid that I don't understand, what are you saying?

Kish
2008-02-26, 04:50 PM
No. It's an NPC-only class, because it presumes a specific background players can't just choose to have (being nobility).

JakStone
2008-02-26, 06:29 PM
No. It's an NPC-only class, because it presumes a specific background players can't just choose to have (being nobility).

I'm not sure where you're getting that. There's no reason a PC can't be an aristocrat. In fact, on page 108 of the DMG, it says "The aristocrat might work as a PC class, since it has an impressive selection of skills and respectable combat training."

Sure, it says might, and points out it's not a great choice for PCs, but it still leaves the possibility of using it as such.

Qov
2008-02-26, 06:43 PM
Can a PC take levels in Aristocrat?

There's no reason a PC can't be an aristocrat.

I think you're both right: a PC can be nobility, if the GM agrees that's in his background, but if it isn't, he can't just take levels in it. Unless the GM decides to suddenly reveal that you're not just a ranger, but also heir to the throne or Somewhere.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-02-26, 07:24 PM
I think you're both right: a PC can be nobility, if the GM agrees that's in his background, but if it isn't, he can't just take levels in it. Unless the GM decides to suddenly reveal that you're not just a ranger, but also heir to the throne or Somewhere.

Yeah, but who would do that? A ranger secretly the King? NOBODY would write such tripe! :smalltongue:

Pie Guy
2008-02-26, 09:06 PM
heir to the throne or Somewhere.[/QUOTE]

What about heir to the throne of Somewhere. Not Anywhere, though, it has a democracy.

Arssanguinus
2008-02-27, 08:06 AM
Folks. .Aristocrat is not only synonymous with 'noble' it would more accurately mean "Upper class' - it could be courtiers, in some places rich merchants. .etcetera.

The gF
2008-02-27, 08:20 AM
What about heir to the throne of Somewhere. Not Anywhere, though, it has a democracy.

No, you're thinking Somewhere Else.

Niknokitueu
2008-02-27, 09:28 AM
No, you're thinking Somewhere Else.
Are you sure she isn't thinking of Nowhere At All?

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu
ps. As to the PC status, it depends on how you define PC. If you define PC as 'someone the story is hinged on', then OotS (and only OotS) are PCs, the rest being NPCs. In campaigns I am used to, it is quite common for an NPC leader of a city (or VIP) to be an ex-PC from an earlier campaign...

The gF
2008-02-27, 09:35 AM
Besides all that, Hinjo's survival is the equivalent of a mission-- maybe bonus XP or something if the party can keep him alive or whatever, the point is that he's an NPC who needs protecting. Happens all the time, and it's usually a more verbal NPC with more personality than the others-- but an NPC nonetheless.

And I'm quite sure it's Somewhere Else. "I just try to find out who that king guy is, and now they think I'm the king of somewhere else." "Oh, no, sir. Somewhere Else has a democracy."

Kish
2008-02-28, 05:12 PM
Place. Someplace Else. Somewhere Else is probably a dictatorship.