PDA

View Full Version : Acceptance speech

VetMichael
2008-02-25, 02:31 AM
Thank you, thank you. We fought a hard campaign, and there were dark, dark times. But now the people have spoken, and the time for change has come. I give to you, the people of Azure City, your beloved leader.....

Mister Scruffy!!!

*Thunderous applause*

"Meow...Mew meow meow mrawr. meow rawr raar mew prrrrr prrrouw, me meow raur. Meow mrawr rawr meow. Meow MEOW meow mrawr!"

(rough translation: *Thank you....whatever your name was. As you monkeys have FINALLY noticed, I am all that matters. Now, get rid of these damn hobgoblins, they smell too much like dogs. Thank you*)

Tempest Fennac
2008-02-25, 03:27 AM
That sounds pretty much like the sort of thing a cat would say. I suppose Mr.. Scruffy couldn't be a worse general then the people who planned AC's defences (or organised the training for that matter).

The gF
2008-02-25, 07:43 AM
I thought Mr. Scruffy was the one who planned AC's defenses and training...

Miraqariftsky
2008-02-25, 07:47 AM
Anybody here read Charles Dickens' A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court? They actually suggested replacing royalty with cats there...

Tempest Fennac
2008-02-25, 08:10 AM
If Mr. Scruffy had been in charge, AC may have stood a chance (considering how Julia was a higher level then 5/6 of AC's Clerics dispite still being in school, the people who were in charge of training were clearly incompitent).

Miraqariftsky
2008-02-25, 08:13 AM
Wait a sec.. what's Julia got to do with it?

The gF
2008-02-25, 08:57 AM
I believe she's being used as a point of reference.

Tempest Fennac
2008-02-25, 10:03 AM
Yes. We know that she's 16 and she's still in school, but the AC spellcasters seemed to be adults in addition to appearing to be realy low level (in http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0446.html, it appears as though at least 3 of the spellasters couldn't even survive 1 Burning Hands spell, suggesting they had 20 HPs at the most due to that spell causing 5d4s worth of damage, and a lot of the rest apparently got killed by Tsukiko).

BisectedBrioche
2008-02-25, 12:37 PM
All hail!

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/6...scruffyxa9.gif

HydwenPrydain
2008-02-25, 02:30 PM
Anybody here read Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court? They actually suggested replacing royalty with cats there...

Fixed that for ya.

Souju
2008-02-25, 03:09 PM
Yes. We know that she's 16 and she's still in school, but the AC spellcasters seemed to be adults in addition to appearing to be realy low level (in http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0446.html, it appears as though at least 3 of the spellasters couldn't even survive 1 Burning Hands spell, suggesting they had 20 HPs at the most due to that spell causing 5d4s worth of damage, and a lot of the rest apparently got killed by Tsukiko).

is Julia a prodigy?

WarriorTribble
2008-02-25, 03:49 PM
"Meow...Mew meow meow mrawr. meow rawr raar mew prrrrr prrrouw, me meow raur. Meow mrawr rawr meow. Meow MEOW meow mrawr!"Course Belkar would be the only one capable of translating Kitty speak...

Tal9922
2008-02-25, 03:57 PM
is Julia a prodigy?

No, it's just that the mages/clerics/whatever of Azure City DIDN'T spend their entire life in Wizardry school, and are likely relatively fresh recruits.

Pretty sure all the somewhat competent soldiers were either on the Barricades or the Throne Room.

Tempest Fennac
2008-02-26, 03:12 AM
That is a good point. I assumed that the AC Clerics and Wizards had been trained by the government due to how they seemed to be part of the army, and I would have assumed that the government would use the best teaching methods which they knew about to get people's levels up (we know that transport links between parts of the North and South continents are quite good due to airships, and, if nothing else, Clerics with moderate amounts of levels would help a lot regarding giving the people of AC cheap healthcare).

Shatteredtower
2008-02-26, 03:17 AM
If Mr. Scruffy had been in charge, AC may have stood a chance (considering how Julia was a higher level then 5/6 of AC's Clerics dispite still being in school, the people who were in charge of training were clearly incompitent).Or far too good at their jobs. Consider the fact that previous generations of the Azure Guard were rather keen on scouring the land of evil. What they left behind would either be in short supply, limiting the numbers that could gain experience against them, or far too tough for low level clerics.

Besides, most NPC clerics don't have the luxury of the PC advancement curve. They've usually charged with the care of a congregation, a duty that can easily consume every waking hour without ever earning you much experience, since the challenge rating seldom rises.

This is what makes PCs special: they don't have any real responsibilities, leaving them free to grab the lion's share of xp, treasure, and glory -- and maybe save the world, assuming that's their fancy. :smallwink:

FujinAkari
2008-02-26, 03:30 AM

You need to keep in mind that Julia is attending the best wizard school in the entire world, while the clerics are just some guys who happened to teach the congregation within Azure City for free... OF COURSE Julia will be the more competent one!

Tempest Fennac
2008-02-26, 04:33 AM
Okay (I would have still expected them to be trained well considering how their influence could help a lot in any battle, though).

FujinAkari
2008-02-26, 04:48 AM
Okay (I would have still expected them to be trained well considering how their influence could help a lot in any battle, though).

You seem to be forgetting that Soon's vision of the perfect defense was the Honor of a Paladin. It is hardly surprising that non-paladins of the Sapphire Guard received little-to-no training.

Tempest Fennac
2008-02-26, 04:56 AM
That is a good point (I was thinking about the cities general defence as well as the things that Clerics, and Wizards to a certain extent, could do to help normal citizens in peace time).