PDA

View Full Version : The Music of Avatar-Making

Quincunx
2008-02-25, 07:14 AM
Not even making a song avatar has quelled the urge to ask:
Is there a particular song or a soundtrack which inspires you as you draw? Have you converted a song into a picture?

One of the Iron Avatar competitions covered bands and musicians, but not so much the music itself. I have heard anime soundtracks mentioned in the same breath as anime-inspired avatars, but I believe they were both effects of the same visual cause.

Fay Graydon
2008-02-25, 07:28 AM
When I made my FMA avatars, I found myself listening to FMA soundtracks.
I guess it just got me in the right mood.

Keris
2008-02-25, 07:52 AM
Is there a particular song or a soundtrack which inspires you as you draw?

I have actually found that I prefer listening to music while doing, well, pretty much anything. Depending on my mood, I play a lot of stuff, but as an example, I was listening to Chopin's "Fantasy Impromptu" while making this:
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z257/kerisrain/avatars/GreyWatcher.png

Lyinginbedmon
2008-02-25, 10:32 AM
I certainly recall playing a lot of Coldplay when I was making page 19 of Remember :smalltongue:

Amotis
2008-02-25, 12:10 PM
I'm not an avatar maker in the strictest sense of the word but I know exactly what Quincunx was going at so I thought I'd add something similar.

Something I "drew/wrote" a long time ago (even though at the time I had no idea how to do either):
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e367/amotis/strip1-1.png

And I was specifically listening to an Elliot Smith song that's alluded to in the picture. I would name it as the why I actually tried to draw on the computer.

Castaras
2008-02-25, 01:02 PM
I've always found it's any kind of music. =) Enya...Blind Guardian...Genesis...Rush...

Particular songs from them though. Force Ten, High Water, Distant Early Warning by Rush...Supper's Ready by Genesis...Songs from Memory of Trees and, particular song-wise, Cursum Perfico, Boadicea, The Celts by Enya...Blind Guardian, Twist in the Myth.

Also the Lord of the Rings Soundtrack. Yup, I'm weird. ^.^

Tiffanie Lirle
2008-02-25, 01:10 PM
Anytime I draw I always play at least one of Yuki Kajiura's songs. sometimes trance, or Michal Jackson.

Exeson
2008-02-25, 01:17 PM
Definately. Bands/artists that put a lot of meaning into their songs e.g. Enya, Lindisfarne, Chronic Future, Jethro Tull, etc. Inspire me a lot.

Here is an example. Inspired by the song Dreamseller by Lindisfarne

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff29/exeson/portfolio/Meetmeonthecorner.png

Dallas-Dakota
2008-02-25, 02:57 PM
I've always found it's any kind of music. =) Enya...Blind Guardian...Genesis...Rush...

P The Celts by Enya...Blind Guardian, Twist in the Myth.

Also the Lord of the Rings Soundtracks. Yup, I'm weird. ^.^

I agree, 90% of my avatars or artwork is made while listening to one of these.

onasuma
2008-02-25, 04:14 PM
Not music, but i continualiously listen to various BBC satires, currently the late edition, when it was on the now show, sometimes other stuff. Laughing makes my stuff better.

YPU
2008-02-25, 04:26 PM
I actually often prefer to watch TV while writing or drawing. For some reason I can perfectly understand what I am watching and produce something totally different at the same time. If the TV is not available I probably will be listening to a H.P. lovecraft audio book, its somewhat freakish I know. And of resent the new ayreon CD has be on a lot, but that album has a lot of story in it.

Bayar
2008-02-26, 12:34 AM
DRAGONFORCE !!!

Ando other rock/metal somgs...