PDA

View Full Version : One-Way Wall of Force (one-round wall of fours)

Irreverent Fool
2008-02-25, 12:21 PM
I recall seeing in a Dragon magazine the One-Way Wall of Force spell, which functions exactly like Wall of Force but allows passage and spellcasting from one side to the other. I believe it was an 8th-level spell, but I can't find the magazine in question. If anyone can point me at it, or just tell me what level it is, I have cookies.

My goal here is for my 16th-level wizard to throw three walls and a one-way wall up around a group of enemies in a single round and proceed to do whatever he wants to them through the side he can cast through. Yes, I know there's more effective ways of pulling such a tactic off, but style should never be sacrificed for the sake of mere efficiency!

I'm thinking:
Cast Wall of Force
Cast quickened Wall of Force
Cast Celerity
Cast One-Way Wall of Force

This, of course leaves a 'back way' out, though at that level one should be able to make the walls large enough that by the next round you can still hem the enemy in. Ideally, I'd place the first and second walls perpendicular to one another, creating a long triangle-shaped hall, and then seal off the space between the caster and the enemy with the one-way wall. This makes a 160'-long tube. The problem is that in the 'daze' round, if they figure out what's going on, they will have been able to run down its length and then get out.

Could I instead just use the three walls to form a pyramid with the ground as its base (like a d4)?

sonofzeal
2008-02-25, 12:27 PM
Just a note - you can do it with three walls, if you go for a triangle.

Bryn
2008-02-25, 12:28 PM
The problem with that tactic is that Celerity is an immediate action and a Quickened spell is a swift action. You can only use one swift/immediate action in a turn, so you can only do one or the other and create two walls. If there was already a wall in place you could possibly trap them against it, but you wouldn't be able to trap them in empty space without spending at least two rounds.

sonofzeal
2008-02-25, 01:16 PM
The problem with that tactic is that Celerity is an immediate action and a Quickened spell is a swift action. You can only use one swift/immediate action in a turn, so you can only do one or the other and create two walls. If there was already a wall in place you could possibly trap them against it, but you wouldn't be able to trap them in empty space without spending at least two rounds.
I'm under the impression that you can take one Immediate Action, and one Swift Action, but not two of either. If that's been erratta'd or I've missed anything, let me know.

Irreverent Fool
2008-02-25, 01:16 PM

Oh dang. I knew that and just wasn't thinking.

Would sculpt spell work?

Indon
2008-02-25, 01:23 PM
The problem with that tactic is that Celerity is an immediate action and a Quickened spell is a swift action. You can only use one swift/immediate action in a turn, so you can only do one or the other and create two walls.

You can cast Celerity immediately after your turn has ended, however, to get the third wall.

valadil
2008-02-25, 01:40 PM
Why not just do forcecage? Is there any reason besides style?

Indon
2008-02-25, 01:45 PM
Why not just do forcecage? Is there any reason besides style?

Because Forcecage is either zero-way or two-way, depending on what kind of attack through what kind of forcecage.

Edit: It'd be like using either clear glass or a granite wall when what you want is one-way glass.

Irreverent Fool
2008-02-25, 02:27 PM
You can cast Celerity immediately after your turn has ended, however, to get the third wall.

I don't think that's right. You get one swift or immediate action per round, which means between the time your turn begins and the time it begins again. I had been thinking along the lines you present in the original post.

And you're right about my reasons for using wall of force and one-way wall of force rather than forcecage.

Douglas
2008-02-25, 02:41 PM
You get one swift action per turn, taken on your turn. If you take an immediate action, it uses the swift action for your next turn. If you use a full round action and a swift action in round 1, you can still use an immediate action at any point after your turn ends. The cost is that you will be unable to take a swift action in round 2.

Funkyodor
2008-02-25, 02:58 PM
Is there a way to get your familiar to cast a couple for you? then you could easily do the 4 on your action.

Aquillion
2008-02-25, 04:29 PM
If you have a way to cast heavily reduced-cost or cost-shifted metamagic, you could use Twin Spell (does what it says on the can, +4 adjustment.) Or if you have 12th-level slots, I guess.

Keld Denar
2008-02-25, 04:46 PM
Incantrix + Arcane Thesis would mean Twin Spell is only a +2 Equiv, allowing you a Quickened Twinned WoF as a 9th level spell (swift), then a 1sided WoF, and then a Celerity WoF (or twinned WoF as a 7th level). You could get a 5 sided figure, one of which is 1 directional for the cost of 10 levels of an uber PrC, 3 feats, and 1 9th, 1 8th, and either 1 5th (4 sided) or 1 7th (5 sided for a lid?) level spells. I don't think you can cast WoF horizontal, to make a lid, but I don't see why you couldn't, considering horizontal/vertical are dependant on your Point of View and Frame of Reference (I took ranks in Knowledge: Engineering IRL!).

SadisticFishing
2008-02-25, 06:16 PM

Exactly, it takes the Swift action for your NEXT turn.

Irreverent Fool
2008-02-25, 06:38 PM
Exactly, it takes the Swift action for your NEXT turn.

Well dang. That's awesome.

Incantrix + Arcane Thesis would mean Twin Spell is only a +2 Equiv, allowing you a Quickened Twinned WoF as a 9th level spell (swift), then a 1sided WoF, and then a Celerity WoF (or twinned WoF as a 7th level). You could get a 5 sided figure, one of which is 1 directional for the cost of 10 levels of an uber PrC, 3 feats, and 1 9th, 1 8th, and either 1 5th (4 sided) or 1 7th (5 sided for a lid?) level spells. I don't think you can cast WoF horizontal, to make a lid, but I don't see why you couldn't, considering horizontal/vertical are dependant on your Point of View and Frame of Reference (I took ranks in Knowledge: Engineering IRL!).

That'd work. I was kind of looking for a way to accomplish it without making some kind of crazy build just around casting WoF, but that might work for some insane badass villain mage. Hmmm. Yes, I can see it now...

I think you can cast wall of force horizontally. It doesn't specify that it has to be set on a solid surface, unlike wall of iron. I also recall seeing in some module, book, or Dungeon/Dragon magazine a WoF created, unsupported, horizontally, in the air.

That may just be wishful thinking, though.

Worira
2008-02-25, 06:58 PM
Another reason not to do it with forcecage is the 1500gp material component.

Jack_Simth
2008-02-25, 07:05 PM
Is there a way to get your familiar to cast a couple for you? then you could easily do the 4 on your action.

Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability, Sor/Wiz 6, Complete Arcane, caps off at 5th level spells (at caster level 15); as Wall of Force is 5th, it'll do the job.

If you can arrange for:
1 Regular Wall of Force
2 Imbued Walls of Force
1 Quickened Wall of Force (Rod helps, here)
Celerity (broken spell)
Your One-way Wall

You can do it:

Standard: One Way Wall of Force
Swift: Quickened Wall of Force
Familiar Standard: Wall of Force
Immediate (just after your turn): Celerity (cast on Familiar, not on you - you don't want to be Dazed)
Familiar Standard: Wall of Force

Next round, you've got your Standard and Move (but not swift) actions, your Familiar is Dazed, but you're fine. No particular build required, just a metric boatload of spells ... and you're not covering the top or bottom, as Wall of Force specifies that it's vertical.

sikyon
2008-02-25, 07:37 PM
I still don't understand why you don't just use forcecage, followed by a one way wall.

Step 1: Barred version of forcecage

Step 2: One way force wall on the side of the cage facing you

You can shot at them through the bars with magic (no cover vs spells/breath weapons), and they can't escape unless they can become tiny.

I think you can cast wall of force horizontally. It doesn't specify that it has to be set on a solid surface, unlike wall of iron. I also recall seeing in some module, book, or Dungeon/Dragon magazine a WoF created, unsupported, horizontally, in the air.

That may just be wishful thinking, though.

Nope, wall must be vertical, it's in the descritpion. You don't need to put it on the ground, however.

On the other hand, you might be able to cut creatures in half with the wall, as it is a "plane" (no thickness) and it is made of force, making it harder than adamantium.

Another reason not to do it with forcecage is the 1500gp material component.

Greater Shadow Evocation takes care of this for the cost of allowing a will save to disbelieve the force cage.