PDA

View Full Version : Awsome PrC for rouges.

Legoshrimp
2008-02-25, 12:42 PM
Are there any good PrCs for rouges? I know assassin but I cant be evil.

Also what happens with uncanny dodge if you are a rouge and take assassin? You would then get improved uncanny dodge twice do you get anything for that?

Kurald Galain
2008-02-25, 12:49 PM
Catwalk Model?

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-02-25, 12:54 PM
Depends on what you want to do with your rogue. Lots of different options, depending on what sort of rogue you play.

What are you wanting to do? What books are available? Do you want something front-loaded, or something that'll give better benifits as you level?

However, once you have Improved Uncanny Dodge, the only thing getting Uncanny Dodge from a second clas is that both class levels stack for determining the level of Rogue needed to flank you.

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-25, 12:59 PM
Thief Acrobat and Spymaster are both really cool PrCs that could be construed as "awesome" depending on what you're going for. They both have really liberal prerequisites too, so you'll have no trouble qualifying. Master Thrower is a good rogue PrC if you want to be a dagger tossing maniac, throwing as a touch attack and dealing sneak damage, but the requirements are a bit stingier.

If you have the Complete Adventurer, look through it. You'll find many options within.

Saph
2008-02-25, 01:03 PM
If you're willing to take a level of a spellcasting class, Unseen Seer from Complete Mage is pretty nice. Ten levels of casting and +4d6 sneak attack.

Only works for rogues, though, not rouges. :P

- Saph

Ganurath
2008-02-25, 01:07 PM
Trap Monkey: Nightsong Infiltrator or Dungeon Delver, both from Complete Adventurer. The latter has some rather commited skill requirements, but unlike the former it doesn't require you be part of a specific thieves guild.

Sneak Attacker: Nightsong Enforcer provides full BAB, 4d6 sneak attack over ten levels, improved flanking options, and something entirely unique to the class: a free reduction in armor check penalty in light armor at 2nd level. Like the Infiltrator, it's in Complete Adventurer and requires guild work.

Social Creature: Psibond Agent and Mountebank are both decent toward this goal, with the former requiring a psionic campaign setting. If you're really eager to lose sneak attack damage, though, I'd suggest the abovementioned Spymaster.

Vectner
2008-02-25, 01:09 PM
It's spelled rogue If you plan on playing one please spell it correctly. One is a thief and the other is makeup.

Zenos
2008-02-25, 01:11 PM
It's spelled rogue If you plan on playing one please spell it correctly. One is a thief and the other is makeup.

Or the french word for red.

Roog
2008-02-25, 01:11 PM
AAlso what happens with uncanny dodge if you are a rouge and take assassin? You would then get improved uncanny dodge twice do you get anything for that?

Take an alternative class feature for the rogue, so you only get improved uncanny dodge once.

Two options are:

Disruptive Attack (PHB 2, p 57): Don't gain uncanny dodge. Whenever you attack a flanked or flat-footed target, you can sacrifice your sneak attack to give them a -5 to AC.

Uncanny Bravery (DrM, p 14): Gain immunity to draconic presence and resistance to fear instead of uncanny dodge.

Kerubi
2008-02-25, 01:20 PM
I don't know how awesome Shadowdancer is, but in the game that i'm dm'ing the party rogue is heading for that one. The requirements are easy and it has some nice specials to it.

Jayabalard
2008-02-25, 01:44 PM
A little more info would help alot... what sort of character are you playing? What books do you have available? Is someone else's homebrew stuff ok or off-limits? What makes a PrC "awesome" to you?

It's spelled rogue If you plan on playing one please spell it correctly. One is a thief and the other is makeup.I don't generally mind if someone makes a snide comment about spelling in addition to contributing something to the discussion, but I don't see the point in posting if all you're going to do is add a spelling flame.

Legoshrimp
2008-02-25, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the great ideas. Sorry about the misspelling of rogue. I want to if at all possible continue sneak attack. This is more for a theoretical build because the game I will be playing a rogue in is only core rulebooks and sadly non-evil:smallfrown: On books I have access through a friend to a lot so any official WotC book is okay. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to change the assassin to have no required alignment or at most neutral? Also to me it does not look like you lose your assassin abilities if you become non-evil. Is this correct? Any help will be appreciated.

Person_Man
2008-02-25, 02:03 PM
The Avenger (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070401a). Note, this was an April Fool's Day Joke. And its not as good as the Assassin, since it doesn't benefit from the Assassin's expanded spell list. But its out there.

As always, your PrC options depend on what you want to do. If you're looking for the classic "Skills + Kills," then you have a lot of options. Basically, you just need a good Skill list, high Int, a source of bonus damage, and lots of attacks. This can be accomplished in many ways.

Good "generic" Rogue PrC include Master Thrower, Avenging Executioner, Fang of Lolth, Skullclan Hunter, or Swashbuckler with Daring Outlaw.

Mr. Friendly
2008-02-25, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the great ideas. Sorry about the misspelling of rogue. I want to if at all possible continue sneak attack. This is more for a theoretical build because the game I will be playing a rogue in is only core rulebooks and sadly non-evil:smallfrown: On books I have access through a friend to a lot so any official WotC book is okay. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to change the assassin to have no required alignment or at most neutral? Also to me it does not look like you lose your assassin abilities if you become non-evil. Is this correct? Any help will be appreciated.

Depends on what books you have available, campaign settings, etc.

There is a Neutral Assassin in the FR sourcebook Underdark. The Imaskari Vengeance Taker. It can be modified pretty easily, if your DM is feeling generous..

As far as I know, there is no caveat saying that you lose any assassina abilities if you stop being evil. By the RAW, you can be evil long enough to join the assassin's.. then become good. The catch of course would be that you might have to leave the guild... and people don't usually leave assassin's guilds...alive anyway.

loopy
2008-02-25, 02:08 PM
Just ask your DM to alter the class.

My DM:
-Removed the evil requirement.
-Added new requirement: "Must kill juvenile chromatic dragon unaided."
-Removed poison resist.
-Added resist against dragon effects (fear, breath weapons, etc)
-Death Attack is -2 DC against all non-dragons.
-Hide in plain sight works against dragons only.
-Removed Uncanny/Imp Uncanny dodge.
-Added Ranged Legerdemain, Impromptu sneak attack as Arcane Trickster.

As you've probably noticed, my character is participating in a dragon centric campaign, but DM's can do all kind of fancy alterations without breaking classes.

Mojo_Rat
2008-02-25, 02:14 PM
Quite honestly have you considered well Rogue as your PRC? It is one of the best classes for maintaining by itself in my opinion. The options for specials at rogue 10 and beyond are pretty nice

Kantur
2008-02-25, 02:25 PM
Depends a lot on what you want the rogue to be like. If you want a con artist or a fraud, the recommendations are going to be very different to acrobatic type or an invisible skirmisher.

As for improved uncanny dodge x2, the levels stack for the minimum rogue level required to flank the character.

Chronos
2008-02-25, 08:15 PM
I don't know how awesome Shadowdancer is, but in the game that i'm dm'ing the party rogue is heading for that one. The requirements are easy and it has some nice specials to it.I wouldn't call the requirements easy... None of the three feats you need is particularly useful to a rogue, and you need to waste five skill points on Perform (Dance). If you're restricted to Core, yeah, it's probably still worth it (since there aren't any decent Core rogue choices), but you're paying a pretty high price for it.

Quite honestly have you considered well Rogue as your PRC? It is one of the best classes for maintaining by itself in my opinion. The options for specials at rogue 10 and beyond are pretty niceWell, 20 is a dead level, which is just poor design, and if you're going for Sneak Attack, you can get more by dipping a few roguelike classes that get it at first level (Spellthief, Psychic Rogue, etc.). Alternately, if you're going more for skills, it's not too hard to justify a dip in bard or ranger. Notably, though, there's no other class, prestige or base, which gets as many skill points as a rogue (unless you somehow manage to get Outsider racial HD), so any prestiging or other multiclassing will always lose you at least a little from your skill points.

Leewei
2008-02-25, 08:25 PM
I don't generally mind if someone makes a snide comment about spelling in addition to contributing something to the discussion, but I don't see the point in posting if all you're going to do is add a spelling flame.

My suggestion would be Red Wizard of Thay. :smalltongue:

Hzurr
2008-02-25, 10:49 PM
An excellent PrC (and my overall favorite PrC after the Chameleon), is the Dread Commando from Heroes of Battle.

- Full BAB
- 3d6 Sudden Strike over 5 levels
- 6+int skill points/level
- d8 HD
- init bonus (for you and your allies)
- decreased armor check penalty (awesome if you've multiclassed and want to wear medium armor)
- can move full speed while hiding

The pre-reqs aren't too bad (easiest way would be rogue 4/fighter 1), although you could wait til rogue 6 (but the extra feat from fighter {as well as the armor prof} is really handy).

Also, if you're going for the trickster rogue, chameleon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20041210b&page=1) isn't a bad choice.

ErrantX
2008-02-25, 11:16 PM
I'm a fan of combining rogue with Invisible Blade and Thief-Acrobat, maybe add Tempest as well if you can swing the requirements.

-X

Person_Man
2008-02-26, 10:29 AM
I don't know how awesome Shadowdancer is, but in the game that i'm dm'ing the party rogue is heading for that one. The requirements are easy and it has some nice specials to it.

Shadowdancer might be a good idea if you're playing a low level core only game. But otherwise, it sucks.

Dodge and Mobility provide minor static bonuses, which means that they're essentially worthless compared to the dozens of other feats that provide scaled bonuses, extra attacks, and/or special abilities. And beyond the first few levels, the PrC doesn't progress Sneak Attack or any other offensive ability.

There are at least 20 other ways to get Hide in Plain Site or something like it. Here's my favorite (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57352), which lets you do it as a Swift Action (and not as part of a Move action, which is the regular PHB way of using the Hide Skill).

Tokiko Mima
2008-02-26, 10:40 AM
The Avenger (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070401a). Note, this was an April Fool's Day Joke. And its not as good as the Assassin, since it doesn't benefit from the Assassin's expanded spell list. But its out there.

But look at all the spells known it gets at levels 1, 3, 5, and 7! That's easily two and a half times more spells known than it has on the list! Get this PrC access to an expanded spell list! :smalltongue:

Legoshrimp
2008-02-26, 11:10 AM
This is for a theoretical build that I might use in some game in the future but cant use now.

The avenger looks like they cut and pasted the assassin changed the name and entry requirement from any evil to any non-chaotic. I like it, but I am not sure my DM will allow it. maybe this argument will work it is an assassin with just the requirements changed.

Megafly
2008-02-26, 06:10 PM
If you are making an archery rogue, an Order of the bow initiate could be nice.

cupkeyk
2008-02-26, 06:22 PM
Nightsong Enforcer. Full BAB rogue PRC for a striker kind of guy.

A few levels of Shadowdancer + crippling strike = STR damage rogue

Legoshrimp
2008-02-26, 06:30 PM
Hey please tell me what books the PrC you mention comes from.

tyckspoon
2008-02-26, 06:33 PM
The avenger looks like they cut and pasted the assassin changed the name and entry requirement from any evil to any non-chaotic. I like it, but I am not sure my DM will allow it. maybe this argument will work it is an assassin with just the requirements changed.

Yup. I think it's actually meant as a jab at people who refuse to use something in any way other than exactly how it's printed in the book. The only thing really explicitly Evil about the assassin-as-printed is the murdering somebody to join prereq (well, ok, and poison use, because D&D has really weird ideas about poison.) Other than that it's just a guy who takes the idea of a Sneak Attack to its logical end, which is alignment-neutral.

Tokiko Mima
2008-02-26, 06:37 PM
Hey please tell me what books the PrC you mention comes from.

Nightsong Enforcer is Complete Adventurer, while Order of the Bow Initiate is in Complete Warrior, or so says Wizards.com Prestige class index (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/prc). :smallcool:

Sir Iguejo
2008-02-26, 07:54 PM
Notably, though, there's no other class, prestige or base, which gets as many skill points as a rogue (unless you somehow manage to get Outsider racial HD), so any prestiging or other multiclassing will always lose you at least a little from your skill points.

Scout (from CAdv) gets 8 + int per level too. But if you miss so much skill points, you can go for skill focus or some other feat (cant remember the name though) that gives you 5 points.

Draz74
2008-02-26, 08:11 PM
There's other PrCs with 8 skill points/level too. Heck, doesn't Exemplar give 10+Int per level?

Leon
2008-02-26, 09:16 PM

Overpowered (http://www.darklegacycomics.com/41.html)

Legoshrimp
2008-02-26, 09:32 PM
LOL very funny.

Staven
2008-02-26, 09:49 PM
I'm a fan of the ninja-of-the-night kind of rogue. A nice thing to do with it is go Rogue/Ninja/Ghost Faced Killer/Assassin, but that's if your campaign allows evil (or allows alternate antihero rules) and goes pretty high. I once made a rogue who multiclassed into Egoist with good results. Sort of a pumpy kind of rogue. But I really say that the most broken prestige class is still good ol' Assassin. Get a few items, take a few feats, and anyone should dread the third round. Even your team-mate.

Legoshrimp
2008-02-26, 09:53 PM
My DM will allow me to be a CN assassin yes!

TheEscapist
2008-02-26, 09:55 PM
I've always been a fan of the Nightsong Infiltrator from the Complete Adventurer. It doesn't give the great BAB and combat abilities of the Nightsong Enforcer, but it gives some decent teamwork-related abilities and works well as a skill-monkey sort of rogue.

Chronos
2008-02-26, 10:06 PM
Scout (from CAdv) gets 8 + int per level too.
There's other PrCs with 8 skill points/level too. Heck, doesn't Exemplar give 10+Int per level?Huh. I stand corrected. You could make a great rogue with one of those and Able Learner, then.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-02-27, 02:57 PM
Are there any good PrCs for rouges? I know assassin but I cant be evil.

Since it is core (which does not necessarily prohibit the variants produced by Wizard's) consider mixing up psionics. It depends on the PC race and levels if the multiclassing rules are enforced.

See if your DM will house rule assassins as being LN (for current or former government agents and spies).

Something like Rogue - 1, Variant Psychic Rogue - 19 (at Wizard's) would be nice without PRCs in comparison to a straight Rogue -20.

Taking a level dip of Ranger - 1 and Psychic Rogue - 8, Slayer -10 would be nice. Taking a few levels of Monk to take the Psionic Fist PRC could be nice.