PDA

View Full Version : Another Attempt at an Anti-Mage PrC

Baron Corm
2008-02-25, 02:05 PM
The goal is to increase mobility and at least give the guy a chance to resist a donothing-and-dieanyway.

Witch Hunter
{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+1|+0|+0|+2|Hunter's Path

2nd|+2|+0|+0|+3|Practiced Spell Avoidance (2 rolls)

3rd|+3|+1|+1|+3|Hunter's Path

4th|+4|+1|+1|+4|Practiced Spell Avoidance (3 rolls)

5th|+5|+1|+1|+4|Hunter's Path[/table]

Hit Die: d8
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier

Entry Requirements

BAB: +5
Base Will Save: +2
Skills: Spellcraft 4 ranks
Feats: Mage Slayer, Pierce Magical Protection, Pierce Magical Concealment

Hunter's Path (Su)

At each odd level, a witch hunter may select a path from the following list. The abilities are split into slayer (offensive) and stalker (defensive) abilities. You may only choose either the slayer or the stalker ability for a given path. The same path cannot be chosen again to get the other ability.

Foil Divination

Slayer: If you are ever the subject of divination magic, you may teleport (and plane shift if necessary) as a free action to a square adjacent to the diviner. You receive a divination of the area/caster first, at the same power level as the one used on you, and can use this information to decide whether or not you wish to teleport.

Stalker: You may not be affected by any magic from the Divination school. The area around you will be shown or detected, but you will not appear or have your secrets revealed.

Negate Hex

Slayer: Whenever a spell targets you, you can have that spell affect its caster as well. The spell is cast as if you had cast it, but has the caster level and save DC of the original spell.

Stalker: If a spell offers no save, you may make a Will save to negate it.

Remove Magic

Slayer: As a standard action, you can make an attack which removes 1 spell level worth of spell slots from an enemy caster for each point of damage you deal. The spells removed are random if prepared, though you always choose the spell levels. A Remove Magic attack can be combined with a Deny Power attack.

Stalker: As a full-round action, you can dispel any number of negative magical effects currently on you. You must be aware and able to do this (so it cannot be done while dominated) and it does not heal ability damage or similar which has already been done.

Deny Power

Slayer: As a standard action, you can make an attack which deals 1 point of ability damage per level of witch hunter to the ability which determines DCs for the target spellcaster (multiplied in the case of a critical hit). Your normal damage is also dealt. A Deny Power attack can be combined with a Remove Magic attack.

Stalker: You receive a bonus on saves vs. spells equal to your witch hunter level.

Seal Dimension

Slayer: If any dimensional travel spell is cast within 1200 feet of you, you can immediately receive the effects of the same spell as a free action to travel to a square adjacent to the caster (as if you were in the caster's original position, if distance would be limited).

Stalker: You may not be affected by any magic from the Conjuration school. You cannot be touched by conjured creatures or objects, and cannot be teleported against your will.

Practiced Spell Avoidance (Ex)

At level 2, you may roll your save for any spell twice, and take the better result. At level 4, you may roll your save three times, and take the best result.

Zenos
2008-02-25, 02:12 PM
Those specials seem powerful to me, although that may be just me. I look forward to see more.

Half-blood
2008-02-25, 06:03 PM
I concur with the overpoweredness.

Xyk
2008-02-25, 06:56 PM
It looks super-fun and good ideas. I am unsure about balance.

MagFlare
2008-02-25, 07:25 PM
I don't think the class is overpowered in the traditional sense - or wouldn't be if its class features were changed from "at will" to 1 or 2/day, at least - but it's an unparalleled plot-breaker. There's really only one thing the Slayer versions of Foil Divination and Seal Dimension are good for, and that's teleporting the PC where the DM doesn't want him to be able to go yet.

(Admittedly, doing this is more likely to result in the PC dying horribly than singlehandedly killing the BBEG, as he's leaving his party members behind and transporting himself directly into the Heart of Darkness, but hey.)

Thexare Blademoon
2008-02-26, 02:28 AM
(Admittedly, doing this is more likely to result in the PC dying horribly than singlehandedly killing the BBEG, as he's leaving his party members behind and transporting himself directly into the Heart of Darkness, but hey.)

On the other hand, ideas for using it as a BBEG's henchman immediately sprung to my mind. Imagine, the PCs hire a powerful Diviner to help them find Dark Lord McDark's lair, and as soon as the spell is cast, a Witch Hunter pops up out of nowhere, sticks a three-foot piece of steel through the mage, and utilizes some sort of teleportation-granting magic item to escape before the PCs can react.

Naturally, you'd only do this to NPCs, not immediately offing the PCs like that. :smallwink:

Superglucose
2008-02-26, 03:23 AM
On the other hand, ideas for using it as a BBEG's henchman immediately sprung to my mind. Imagine, the PCs hire a powerful Diviner to help them find Dark Lord McDark's lair, and as soon as the spell is cast, a Witch Hunter pops up out of nowhere, sticks a three-foot piece of steel through the mage, and utilizes some sort of teleportation-granting magic item to escape before the PCs can react.

Naturally, you'd only do this to NPCs, not immediately offing the PCs like that. :smallwink:

Oh god that would be too cool to not add to a campaign. Of course, if the PCs thought they were immune to the whole thing, they could try it, and fine the slayer ready to stabbity stab the mage. Keep in mind PCs of a high enough level to face a witch hunter and be appreciably using divinations would have at least decent access to Resurrection. And it only needs to happen once for smart players to get the hint: don't spy on the BBEG.