PDA

View Full Version : Justice League

The Giant
2003-10-19, 01:43 AM
OK, so, maybe this makes me a geeky fanboy, but I can't stop loving the new Justice League cartoons. I mean, I like the first season, but the new ones are unbelievable. Better action scenes, better scripts, better directing, better everything.

If you missed tonight's, you missed Wonder Woman beating the crap out of an entire army division. Twice. It was great. ;D

Bogotter
2003-10-19, 08:10 AM
When is it on and what channel? I'll TiVo it and watch them. Sounds fun!

WampaX
2003-10-19, 11:38 AM
If you want to know when Justice League will be on, just go to Cartoon Network's page and , aw heck, here ya go.
http://schedule.cartoonnetwork.com/servlet/ScheduleServlet?action=viewAll&showID=320361&show= Justice+League

Looks like they are putting the new eps into the Toonami rotation again, the ones on Saturday are a full hour. It looks like they have the 1am showings on the wrong day, since they should be on Sunday morning after the 10pm premier the previous night.

Try not to miss Tabula Rasa. Amazo is just friggin' amazing once he copies all the Justice Leaguer's powers and the continuing development of Lex and Mercy from the Adventures of Superman is great.

The Giant
2003-10-19, 06:31 PM
Ahh, I missed that one already! I guess I'll see when it's on again.

Yeah, I've been thrilled with the character development in the new ones: last week's "Doctor Destiny" episode showed the various JLAer's dreams, which was very cool. It was interesting to see Superman dreaming about his fear that he might keep getting more and more powerful, because when he was a kid he had no powers and he kept finding more and more. Kind of a nod to "Smallville". I really like the moment this week when the Flash, who is normally the comic relief/relaxed guy, gets pissed off and takes down a whole space station crew.

I wish I had a TiVo... :(

WampaX
2003-10-19, 08:34 PM
It looks like next Saturday, we get an Aquaman show, as it is the last sequence from the ad breaks that I haven't seen yet. Of course, that could be the one on Nov 1.

Tabula Rasa I and II will be on Mon and Tues of this week at 5:30, just set the VCR.

RawBearNYC
2003-10-19, 10:38 PM
I really like the moment this week when the Flash, who is normally the comic relief/relaxed guy, gets pissed off and takes down a whole space station crew.Yeah, i'm always left wanting a little more from Flash. He seems to get tripped ALOT. I was glad to see "You know, this guy is actually threatening."

The Giant
2003-10-20, 03:43 PM
I also get annoyed (and they do this a LOT) when the whole league runs to the monitor or something, and Flash gets there at the same time as everyone else, only he blurred while he was moving. Like what the hell? His super power is to walk at the same speed, but to be blurry while doing it???

Tae_Kwon_Dan
2003-10-20, 04:09 PM
Heh, I noticed an episode where Batman was keeping pace with the Flash as they were running to a car or something similar.

When your only super power is running fast and then for some reason you're not doing that all that well, it's time to think about a new career. *

*Actually this annoys me, because I like The Flash beyond just the smart ass remarks.

RawBearNYC
2003-10-20, 05:16 PM
Well, anyone notice that everyone who flies does it as fast as flash? Green lantern never seems to have trouble keeping up with him.

The Giant
2003-10-20, 06:52 PM
Ok ,so I saw the first Amazo episode today—good call, Wampa, it is really good. However, once again: Amazo makes better use of the Flash's powers than he does!! That's just annoying.

WampaX
2003-10-21, 12:53 AM
Actually, Amazo makes better use of ALL the Leaguers' powers better than they do. ;D

I also really believed how they took Martian Manhunter out of circulation.

If you know the history between Mercy and Lex, that entire aspect fo the show is a fantastic payoff.

Things really get fun tomorrow . . . umm, later today.

The Giant
2003-10-24, 07:42 PM
OK, in case anyone is a real hardcore DC hero fan: Cartoon Network's "Duck Dodgers" cartoon, which has Daffy Duck as a space hero in the 24th-and-a-half century, just had an episode tonight in which Duck Dodgers accidentally joins the Green Lantern Corps. It was pretty good, complete with a cast of all the GL's from the comics: Killowog, Katma Tui, Ch'p, etc. And Sinestro, of course. Worth watching if you are a Green Lantern fan (and I am).

The Giant
2003-10-28, 02:27 AM
Oddly, last night's Justice League was ALSO Green Lantern-themed. Bizzare. But good.

RawBearNYC
2003-11-03, 12:45 PM
OK, las Saturday's Justice League (with the Justice Lords) completely ROCKED. I have it on tape and may actually commit it to my personal video collection.

The characters were deep, and Flash actually got to be cool for once.

And of course the moral issue prompted some real thought from this super liberal.

The Giant
2003-11-03, 11:41 PM
Yeah, best one yet maybe. It seemed to play off the current issues of "Security vs. Freedom". And Flash did indeed kick ass.

I especially love how they are setting up Luthor's run for the presidency...

The Giant
2003-11-04, 05:20 AM
Hey, for those of you who have gotten their ass beat down by my Eclipso HeroClix: this Saturday's villain on "Justice League" is Eclipso. Now you can see who the guy with 4 clicks of Mind Control and Impervious really is. ;D

Shogun_Warrior
2003-11-08, 12:22 PM
The strange thing isn't that I'm a fan of Justice League. I've been a fan of the new generation of DC cartoons ever since Batman & Robin, and was suitably impressed by both Superman and Batman Beyond. No, the strange thing is that I'm a fan of the Justice League cartoon despite hating the comic! Now, don't think I'm just prejudiced against DC, I hate the Avengers for the same reason: if you've got Superman, Batman, & Green Lantern or Captain America, Thor, & Iron Man why do you need anybody else? Both teams always seemed too overwhelmingingly powerful for me to take any of thier challenges or opponents seriously.

But the Justice League cartoon has surpassed my dislike of overkill-team concept. A big part of this was thier decision to stick to an hour-long format despite the half-hour timeslot, gives the writers plenty of time to introduce plots complex enough to split up the team and/or challenge all of them at once.

I'm also consistantly impressed by Teen Titans. Sure, it's quite different from the young-adult melodrama I started collecting back in the early 80s, but I couldn't be more impressed by the way the show embraces the genre of adolescent action/comedy anime like Urusei Yatstura. Not only is the TT cartoon the best example of Teenagers From Outer Space on TV right now, but it I've also been impressed by appearances of characters from the comic such as Trigon and Thunder & Lightning. The only thing I can't quite get my ahead around is whether or not Slade is really supposed to be a new version of Deathstroke. Yeah, he looks the part, but.... ???

WampaX
2003-11-08, 09:24 PM
Slade Wilson is Deathstroke's name . . . or is it still? I really haven't kept current on my comic knowledge. Almost everything I have of DC is pre-crisis, except for a few Batman books.

The Giant
2003-11-08, 10:58 PM
On the JL cartoon, not only do they take the effort to sit characters out during certain episodes (particularly ones where their powers would make the plot too easy), but the cartoon versions are generally less powerful than the comic book versions. Cartoon GL is not even a fraction as powerful as the comic GL, who can control dozens of constructs simultaneously. Cartoon Superman gets knocked out all the time. Cartoon Martian Manhunter does not come close to making full use of his telepathic and shapechanging powers in combat. So I think that accounts for a lot of how the wirters are able to keep things challenging. In the comics, these characters (and their power levels) were all established for solo books where they needed to be the hero, and then just stuck them together.

The Giant
2003-11-15, 01:06 PM
Doctor Fate AND Cthulhu in the same episode? And it's a Hawkgirl episode where we finally get her real name?? Oh yeah, I loved it.

RawBearNYC
2003-11-16, 09:57 PM
I was so very impressed with this last episode of JL. This one and the Justice Lords one are probably the best of the season.

WampaX
2003-11-19, 08:58 AM
I just saw . . . well, most of it. (Dan didn't get the first 15min).
I don't know . . . I'm torn. The build-up and epilogue were good, but the main event didn't deliver for me.

Pound for pound, I would have to say the season opener (which I think was actually a holdover from the last season) was my personal favorite. Darkseid, Braniac, and a personal battle for Supes. I remember when I saw the second part of the Apokolypse invasion Superman story and my jaw hit the floor with what they did. To finally have some payback for that was great. Plus Michael Ironside was the perfect voice casting for Darkseid. ;D

Carcharoth
2003-11-22, 01:27 AM
It's perhaps the talent they've recruited for voice acting more than anything else that I've enjoyed the most about the JL cartoon. Watch the credits, and be surprised! Last week's episode had Mark Hamill voicing his standard Grundy, but also Oded Fehr as Doctor Fate and Rob Zombie as our favorite squidface from a plane of non-Euclidean geometry ;)

Also, some food for thought: The Terror Beyond drew on a storyline done by (gasp!) Marvel in the 80's - the Defenders Meet H.P. Lovecraft. It's cute how the writers didn't even try to hide the differences, to the point I could safely call this an "homage" rather than a "ripoff." Some character lineups -

Aquaman equates to Namor, the Submariner; Dr. Fate lines up perfectly with Dr. Strange, and Inza is Clea. Grundy was "Hulkified" for this episode, even to the point of having a general chase him around :) That series also featured Nightwing and Valkyrie - parts that were filled by Hawkgirl and Wonder Woman well, although not in a 1:1 manner.

The Giant
2003-11-22, 08:37 AM
Grundy was "Hulkified" for this episode, even to the point of having a general chase him around :)

I never knew about that particular story, but in retrospect, it clearly is the Defenders (minus Silver Surfer—though that could be Superman?) Grundy even called Aquaman "stupid fish-man", which is what the Hulk often called Namor. I liked how they kept from going so far as to have him say, "Grundy smash!"—and then Hawgirl said "Hawgirl smash!"

hee.

WampaX
2003-11-22, 09:25 AM
To quote Shade: "This just gets better and better."

;D

Every commercial break was so perfectly placed, tonight . . . those magnificent bastards.

The little stuff like Shade's smile and shrug after learning Giganta's origin . . . the great lines . . . the winks to Challenge of the Superfriends . . . the fantastic team battles.

Superb episode top to bottom.

I was pumped to play Champions before, but after Friday's intro session and tonight's episode of JL have pushed me into the gotta-gotta play it now mode . . . stupid Thanksgiving getting in the way of gaming. :P

The Giant
2003-11-22, 10:25 AM
I agree! :D

I noticed the Challenge of the Superfriends reference, too, when they charged each other from across the stadium. I also saw that when the SSSV first rose up on the platform, they were silhoutetted in the exact same manner the JL is in the opening credits—because they were trying to replace their world order. I liked the speech, "I know Batman, I once ratted out a counterfeitter to Batman, and you, sir, are no Batman."

And I loved how in the end, nothing was really patched up, kind of like real life.

Carcharoth
2003-11-22, 01:22 PM
I liked the speech, "I know Batman, I once ratted out a counterfeitter to Batman, and you, sir, are no Batman."

Today is the 40th Anniversary of JFK's assassination. Why is that pertinent? Because in the '88 vice-presidential debates, Lloyd Bentsen said the following to Dan Quayle: "I served with Jack Kennedy. I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy." Coincidence? Maybe, but I think not :)

WampaX
2003-11-22, 09:21 PM
I'm pretty sure there were a few more CotSF moments such as the Sinestro camera blast and Giganta crushing Superman between her hands.

Thanks Carcharoth. I knew that the quote was paraphrasing a real quote, I just couldn't remember from whence it came.

WampaX
2003-11-29, 09:34 AM
Establish the continuity and the stories just write themselves. ;D

One final thought . . . wonder why they couldn't get Lori Petty back for Livewire?

The Giant
2003-11-29, 10:47 AM
Because she had 2 lines? Although they did seem to get Michael Dorn to play Kalabak.

Yup, another decent one. I liked the Vandal Savage parts: "I have issues, you know, because I destroyed the world."

RawBearNYC
2003-11-29, 10:23 PM
Hrmf...I didn't enjoy this one as much. I don't watch cartoons about superheroes to watch them overcome adveristy without their powers :P I can watch episodes of GI Joe for that. So, anytime they change the color of the sun or take away GL's ring, I lose interest.

WampaX
2003-11-30, 12:12 AM
So you don't like it when characters have to fall back on their skills, perks, and talents or, gosh forbid, social interaction? :P

Arrr, there be spoilers ahead.

I liked the second half better than the first because of the lack of powers. If Supes had all his abuilities, there wouldn't have been much to it. No trek across the wasteland in a red convertable, no forgeing of the sword, no fighting and tamming of the super wolves, no riding the giant Hanna-Barberra inspired dragonflies, no fight against the roaches, and no dramatic tension as he fell into the power core. Sure, the great conversations with Savage would have been there ("Would you like to come over to my house?"), but the rest would have just been another day at the office for Superman with his powers.

The first half of the second part had a very heavy "samurai jack" feel to it. I love that type of animated entertainment, so his lack of powers didn't bother me as much.

The Giant
2003-11-30, 01:07 AM
I liked it too, but Ray and I have already established that he is far pickier than I when it comes to enjoying TV or movies. :P

RawBearNYC
2003-11-30, 10:42 AM
So you don't like it when characters have to fall back on their skills, perks, and talents or, gosh forbid, social interaction? :P
I have no idea what you mean, but I guess, no, I don't. Many superhero stories are written that challenge the hero without reducing them to Magnum PI status (only, without the gun). Social interraction isn't prevented by Superman's abilities, so I don't really understand the point there. If the story wouldn't work without taking the super out of superman, then rewrite the story.

There's lots of entertainment out there with ordinary people overcoming odds with ordinary abilities. There's only one with a big guy in blue tights and a cape flying around smacking stuff, and past Saturday, there was half of one less. Feh.

WampaX
2003-11-30, 10:54 PM
I have no idea what you mean, but I guess, no, I don't. Many superhero stories are written that challenge the hero without reducing them to Magnum PI status (only, without the gun). Social interraction isn't prevented by Superman's abilities, so I don't really understand the point there. If the story wouldn't work without taking the super out of superman, then rewrite the story.

Skill, Perks, and Talents refers to everything in the Hero System that isn't a Characteristic (Stats) or a Power. Social Interaction isn't prevented, but it can be sidestepped using the powers.

When you strip the super out of Superman, you are left with a Man. If that man has no character resonance with the audience, then you have just stripped him of all that he is. If you are just tuning in for the Super part, go watch Superfirends. If you want to see the Man part, go watch Smallville. If you want to see a more balanced mix, watch The New Adventures of Superman and Justice League.

Daveric
2003-11-30, 11:39 PM
I actually got a chance to watch this episode this weekend and also liked it (the 2nd part better than the first, although i enjoyed Lobo's appearance) :) for much the same reason as Wampa; because he had no powers.

Heck, I'm just glad it wasn't the same episode I've always seen where WW is fighting supes in the museum because she thiunks he's a monster. ;)

Tae_Kwon_Dan
2003-11-30, 11:43 PM
That happen to you too, Daveric?

When Batman the Animated Series first came out when I was in High School it seemed I could only ever catch The Clock King episode or The Laughing Fish episode. As good as they, I won't watch either of those episodes ever again, because I've seen them so many times.

Daveric
2003-11-30, 11:50 PM
Yeah :)

See, I don't have cable, but my mother does and when we visit (like we did over the long holiday weekend) I watch Cartoon network. :)

Suffice it to say, I was happy to finally see another episode. And I got to watch Teen Titans too. :)

The Giant
2003-12-01, 12:06 AM
There's lots of entertainment out there with ordinary people overcoming odds with ordinary abilities. There's only one with a big guy in blue tights and a cape flying around smacking stuff, and past Saturday, there was half of one less. Feh.

Except that there ARE lots of superhero-types out there; people watch Superman for the specific character of Superman, I think. At least I do. In particular, JL has gone through the effort of showing that Batman can make a difference without powers; I felt this was their way of saying that Supes can too.

I think it's a lot more interesting than taking GL's ring, because let's face it, GL got through the marines without it. The ring is just a weapon. But Superman's powers are a part of him, he's had them to some degree his whole life.

However, from a strict script point of view, they had to come up with an excuse why it took Superman weeks to get to Vandal Savage, because they wanted to show weeks worth of mourning. And from a continuity p.o.v., thousands of years in the future WOULD have a red sun, and the effect of a red sun is old school Superman lore. Including it here actually makes long time Supes fans happy, because it is part of the mythology.

WampaX
2003-12-01, 01:28 AM
In an episode of The New Adventures of Superman, Lightner makes a device that changed the regular yellow sunlight to red sunlight. Can't remember the specifics as I only saw it once or twice. :(

RawBearNYC
2003-12-01, 02:14 AM
However, from a strict script point of view, they had to come up with an excuse why it took Superman weeks to get to Vandal Savage, because they wanted to show weeks worth of mourning.
My standard response to this kind of thinking is: If the superhero's powers make the story unworkable, WRITE A DIFFERENT STORY. :P

The Giant
2003-12-01, 02:24 AM
Why should they? This story was great, and the only one complaining about it is you. Weaknesses are a key part of any superhero character, and there is no point to having them if they never come up. The fact that Supes can be brought down by kryptonite is the primary reason Lex Luthor can be a credible threat to him.

If all you want to see is a guy flying around smacking things, rent the video game. I want to see the character I know and love, even when confronted with adversity.

WampaX
2003-12-01, 02:27 AM
But wouldn't you agree that that Superman II was the best of the live action Superman movies . . . so far?

RawBearNYC
2003-12-01, 02:29 AM
If all you want to see is a guy flying around smacking things, rent the video game. I want to see the character I know and love, even when confronted with adversity.
Heh, I own the video game, it could only be made better by removing superman's powers. :P

Maj
2003-12-01, 02:34 AM
If nothing else, this episode did confirm something I was always wondering...

Does Superman know how to drive? I mean, for all I knew, he just ran really fast to work each morning... Or flew. And they really enjoyed that dying-sun-in-the-background-while-Superman-was-driving-with-one-arm shot...

Personally, my favorite part of the episode was the perspective of an immortal. It was cool to see Savage having actually achieved his goal of world domination and destruction - only to find how much it really sucked. A nice counterpart to the Justice Lords episode...

The Giant
2003-12-01, 03:05 AM
If nothing else, this episode did confirm something I was always wondering...

Does Superman know how to drive? I mean, for all I knew, he just ran really fast to work each morning... Or flew.

The Superman cartoons have actually shown him driving many times as Clark Kent, usually because Lois or Jimmy was with him. I remember one episode where his car went over a cliff in full view of Lois and he had to pretend Clark Kent was dead until he could figure out a way to explain it.

Also, for what it's worth, he drives a truck in Smallville all the time.

And they really enjoyed that dying-sun-in-the-background-while-Superman-was-driving-with-one-arm shot...

Yeah, I liked it because it reminded me that he grew up in the country and was the kind of guy who could enjoy a nice drive, even on a post-apocalyptic world.

Maj
2003-12-01, 03:16 AM
The Superman cartoons have actually shown him driving many times as Clark Kent, usually because Lois or Jimmy was with him. I remember one episode where his car went over a cliff in full view of Lois and he had to pretend Clark Kent was dead until he could figure out a way to explain it.

Also, for what it's worth, he drives a truck in Smallville all the time.

;D

Honestly, I've never been a Superman fan - I'm more of a Batman fan, so it's no real surprise that I've missed a whole bunch in the "does he know how to drive" department.

The Giant
2003-12-01, 03:29 AM
Green Lantern has always been my favorite—as a concept, not necessarily the John Stewart character, though he's cool too. I like the powers and the whole "galactic peacekeeping force" thing.

Martian Manhunter has the flat-out best set of powers ever. Telepathy, invisibility, shapeshifting, phasing, flight...if I could pick one superhero to get their powers, it'd be J'onn J'onnz. Because let's face it, super-strength in the real world would be of moderate use at best, but shapeshifting would be really freakin' cool. ;D

The best parts of both Superman and Batman are when they are together. I like how they are almost complete opposites, yet both good guys.

WampaX
2003-12-01, 03:40 AM
Pity, that, Maj. Superman was slightly more consistent in quality than the early seasons of Batman: The Animated Series. But, that is understandable since they had some experience under their belts.

"Mxyzpixilated", "Apokolips . . . Now!: Part 2", and "The Main Man: Part 1 and 2" are some of my favorite episodes of both series.

Giant, I like the way that Martian Manhunter has continually gotten more proficient with his powers as the series has progressed. "The Worlds Finest" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0169590/ was the first time we got to see them together . . . and damn if it wasn't a good time ;D.

WampaX
2003-12-01, 04:43 AM
The Justice League on Toonami is on the new episodes again. Ray, if you want some Superman action, watch today and tommorow, Twilight part 1 & 2, Superman vs Darkseid . . . fan-friggin' tastic ;D

WampaX
2003-12-06, 09:28 AM
The Royal Flush Gang are being voiced by the Teen Titans.
10 = Cyborg
Jack = Beast Boy
Queen = Raven
King = Robin
Ace = Starfire

Joker = always a good time. ;D

The Giant
2003-12-06, 09:55 AM
Once again, another winner! ;D

Carcharoth
2003-12-06, 06:32 PM
GAH I missed this episode. Stupid socializing on a Saturday night, what was I thinking?!?

Shogun_Warrior
2003-12-06, 11:11 PM
The Royal Flush Gang are being voiced by the Teen Titans.Call me a dilletante, but I never followed to DC comics enough to come across the Royal Flush gang (assuming they appeared in the comics). Nonetheless, I was psyched enough having seen them in Batman Beyond to enjoy the continuity link between the two shows.

WampaX
2003-12-06, 11:25 PM
Though overly complex, http://www.dcuguide.com/index.htm has a host of information, even on the most obscure DC characters.

The Giant
2003-12-07, 01:14 AM
Royal Flush Gang is a long-time C-List supervillain group, though honestly the Batman Beyond was a lot closer to the comic version: a family that commits crimes dressed up as playing cards, with Ace being a big honking robot. Still, it was cool to see them anyway.

I liked how they poked fun at themselves for dragging out the GL/Hawkgirl subplot for so many episodes. And yay, the Flash got to be effective again!

WampaX
2003-12-07, 01:42 AM
Looks like next week, we get a fun holiday episode . . . as well as the old first episode of the Batman:TAS redesign. Haven't seen that one in quite some time.

Bogotter
2003-12-13, 10:40 PM
I saw my first epidode of the Justice League finally. It was the XMAS episode. Even though I can see others thinking it wasn't the best episode...it was good enough for me to get set my TIVO to record all of the episodes!

So far my favorite character is Hawkgirl. The bar fight was hilarious. Martian Manhunter is very cool as well. Are some of these heroes new for this show or did they all appear somewhere before?

Ultra-Humanite seems like a great villain as well.

The Giant
2003-12-13, 11:31 PM
Yeah, it was pretty good, even though it mostly a humorous episode. I liked Superman trying to use his X-Ray vision to peek at his presents.

All of the characters in the show so far have appeared in DC comics, though some of them have been altered slightly in history/personality. There is a Hawkgirl, for example, but she is second-fiddle to Hawkman in the comics. John Stewart was Green Lantern for a long time, but again, he was often overshadowed by the original GL, Hal Jordan. Also, he was never a marine, he was an architect, and had a drastically different personality as a result (I like the cartoon self better than the comic one, actually). Martian Manhunter has been a JLA member in the comics since its founding.

Ultra-Humanite was an old-time JSA villain; he basically advanced his brain and implanted it into an albino gorilla.

One of the things DC fans like myself love so much about the cartoon is how many obscure characters are showing up; so far I can't think of a single hero or villain that is not pulled from the comics.

Tae_Kwon_Dan
2003-12-14, 09:41 PM
Just a minor nitpick, but actually Alan Scott was the first Green Lantern back in the Golden Age. Hal Jordan was the Silver Age, and by far the most popular, Green Lantern.

The Giant
2003-12-14, 10:02 PM
Just a minor nitpick, but actually Alan Scott was the first Green Lantern back in the Golden Age. Hal Jordan was the Silver Age, and by far the most popular, Green Lantern.

I'm fully aware of that, Dan. :P However, Alan Scott did not get his powers from little blue space men and was not part of the Corps, nor was in any way be related to the Green Lantern mythos that is part of the show; that would be Hal Jordan. Only the name was the same, and some of the powers.

Alan Scott got his powers from a magical lantern that he found in China. He was a train engineer and the lantern turned itself into a standard railroad lantern to hide itself, and his powers were useless against wood, rather than the color yellow. The character is so unrelated to the modern GL that when DC reintroduced him to the comics several years ago, they gave him a new name—Sentinel—to avoid confusion with the current GL.

I may not know the obscure Marvel charaters, but don't screw with me on DC. I will school your ass.

Tae_Kwon_Dan
2003-12-14, 10:18 PM
True, but all I was saying was that Alan Scott was the first person to use the title was all.

The Giant
2003-12-14, 10:23 PM
And I'm saying he doesn't fit my definition of being "a Green Lantern," name notwithstanding, and thus I was still correct. :P

This conversation has wandered off into Comic Book Guy territory...

Tae_Kwon_Dan
2003-12-14, 10:27 PM
"Worst Green Lantern . . . ever!" ;)

WampaX
2003-12-14, 10:28 PM
Actually, Alan Scott's lantern was forged from the Starheart that was created by the Guardians.
He got his power from the same source as all the other Green Lanterns, but was never an official Corps. member.

'Course, that's all post-crisis stuff.

The Giant
2003-12-14, 10:45 PM
Actually, Alan Scott's lantern was forged from the Starheart that was created by the Guardians.
He got his power from the same source as all the other Green Lanterns, but was never an official Corps. member.

Feh, that was retroactively shoved into his history at a later date. Further, the Starheart is not the same as the GLC's power source; the Guardians created the Starheart when they removed all magical aspects from the Oan power battery. It was, in essence, the leftover garbage that they threw out (the Oans had disdain for magic) which subsequently fell to earth in the form of a meteor. This was introduced to explain why Alan Scott's powers were similar to GL's, but were magical (not psionic) in origin. To this day, Sentinel/Alan Scott's powers are firmly mystical in nature, while GL's are pseudo-scientific.

I told you not to screw with me on DC.

WampaX
2004-01-05, 09:28 AM
Just a heads up, looks like JL has moved up M-Th 10-11 starting with the first season episodes. Not the best, but some are gems.

Repeats of the new season are continuing Sats at 10.

Happy Viewing.

The Giant
2004-01-05, 09:29 AM
Anyone know if the second season is over, or just on a rerun break? As in, will there be any more new episodes before next fall?

WampaX
2004-01-05, 09:55 AM
Doesn't appear that they have held back any episodes.
<EDIT>
I stand corrected. There is a three part episode titled Starcrossed that has been held back.
<EDIT>

Here is some season 3 news and rumors.
Guest Stars with VAs confirmed:
Green Arrow (Kin Shriner)
Hawk & Dove (Fred Savage & Jason Hervey)
Captain Atom (George Eads)
The Question (Jeffrey Combs)
Pa Kent (Mike Farrell)

Guest Stars that are rumored, but have no VA yet.
Black Canary
The Atom
Firestorm
Red Tornado

Rumored Villians with VAs.
Ares (Michael York)

Mongul is rumored to be back.

The Giant
2004-01-05, 10:58 AM
Nice. I was pretty sure the Atom was going to show up eventually; they dropped the name "Ray Palmer" (the Atom's alter ego) in the episode with Superman and Vandal Savage at the end of time.

Tae_Kwon_Dan
2004-01-12, 12:51 AM
Interesting that they're going with the original male Dove instead of the female Dove.

For those not up on TV trivia, while you might recognize Fred Savages name, Jason Hervey is who played his older brother Wayne on "The Wonder Years."

I'm guessing Hervey will be the angry forceful Hawk and Savage will be Dove.

Nightwing
2007-03-18, 04:06 PM
OK, in case anyone is a real hardcore DC hero fan: Cartoon Network's "Duck Dodgers" cartoon, which has Daffy Duck as a space hero in the 24th-and-a-half century, just had an episode tonight in which Duck Dodgers accidentally joins the Green Lantern Corps. It was pretty good, complete with a cast of all the GL's from the comics: Killowog, Katma Tui, Ch'p, etc. And Sinestro, of course. Worth watching if you are a Green Lantern fan (and I am).

I saw that! it was great!

Nightwing
2007-03-18, 04:09 PM
Hey, for those of you who have gotten their ass beat down by my Eclipso HeroClix: this Saturday's villain on "Justice League" is Eclipso. Now you can see who the guy with 4 clicks of Mind Control and Impervious really is. ;D

I had know idea you collected hero clix!

The Giant
2007-03-18, 04:45 PM
The Voice of Mod: Digging up threads from 2003, when the board had under 100 members, is what we call "Thread Necromancy", and its frowned on, precisely because the facts put forth in discussion are likely no longer true or relevent.