PDA

View Full Version : What RPGs do *you* play?

Newtkeeper
2008-02-25, 06:31 PM
What the title says. I'm curious about what (pencil and paper, obviously) RPGs you have played, and which you favor.

Myself (in order I was introduced to them):
DnD (3.5)
d20 Modern
GURPS.

Of the three, I favor GURPS- suits my taste, and provides for detailed combat, as well as a non-class based system (and, as Marx tells us, the class system is doomed). Besides, in GURPS, you can play a psionic blueberry muffin (though I shudder to think of the campaign it would be appropriate in). What more does one really need?

d20 modern I don't play anymore. I just haven't found many things it can do that GURPS can't.

I still play DnD, though, both for old time's sake and out of genuine desire. I like DnD not in spite of its quirks, but because of them. Besides, it's easier to throw together a quick game, and is at least as good as GURPS for the genre of Dungeon Crawlin' Fantasy. And it has kobolds. Really, what more does one need?

So, what do you folks play?

Illiterate Scribe
2008-02-25, 06:35 PM
DnD, and Inquisitor.

The latter game ... oh, how I love thee. Together with the apparent megaton of extra material developed by Charax and PrecinctOmega over on the forums, it, in my opinion, achieves the holy grail of gaming - it has both hyper-detail and smooth, flowing play.

Prophaniti
2008-02-25, 06:51 PM
The only one I have a significant amount of experience with is D&D, and the d20 offshoots like modern. I've very much wanted to try GURPs but can't find any copies locally. If anyone has some used ones they'd let go for cheap...

Behold_the_Void
2008-02-25, 06:52 PM
D&D, generally. I've been wanting to try Shadowrun though.

I have a bit of experience with the WoD but I don't like the setting or the system at all.

Lupy
2008-02-25, 06:54 PM
Saga Edition Star Wars RPG
Runescape (http://www.runescape.com/)

Albonor
2008-02-25, 06:55 PM
DnD since 2nd ed
Vampire 3rd and 4th ed
Mechwarrior
Warhammer
Black Eye (Oeil Noir in French)

Xyk
2008-02-25, 07:14 PM
D&D
Ad&d
Mutants and masterminds
vampire the masquerade

Legoshrimp
2008-02-25, 07:29 PM
1 session of d20 modern.
Then dnd.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-02-25, 07:34 PM
All Flesh Must be Eaten.
Adventure Quest. (http://www.aquest.com)
3.5 D&D.
Homebrew Cyberpunks.

RTGoodman
2008-02-25, 07:51 PM
Games I've Played:
-D&D 3.5
-HERO System (just a couple of sessions)
-SW Saga Edition
-Conan d20 (one session, but hopefully more in the future)

RPGs I own but haven't played:
-Gunslingers & Gamblers
-Chimera
-Runequest
-Rolemaster
-The Veggie Patch (yep - it's a RPG where everyone's a vegetable)

(I got most of the second category online when a website was doing a free giveaway week, and they look decent, but I don't know anyone but me who would like to roleplay a potato or a cowboy.)

Vortling
2008-02-25, 08:03 PM
I've mostly played DnD 3.5. I've been in one PDQ campaign and played a few sessions of d20 Modern. I'm looking to play in or GM a 7th Sea campaign in the future.

The Faceless
2008-02-25, 08:23 PM
Mutants and Masterminds
D&D 3rd Ed
Vampire
Homebrew "Starship Thingy"
Everway

Ascension
2008-02-25, 08:33 PM
-Games I've played:

-D&D 3.5... I'm pretty committed to this now, since I went on an insane book-buying binge for no apparent reason. I guess I'm sort of like people who eat whenever they get depressed, except instead of eating, I buy sourcebooks. Good news is, I'm skinnier than those other people. Bad news is, my wallet's also skinnier. At least it's a fun system, and, with all the junk I've got now, is actually quite adaptable.

-Boot Hill (2nd edition)... The Gygaxian Wild West. Haven't played much of it, but what I have played has been a lot of fun. The mechanics are completely combat focused and the mortality rates are high, but it's a lot of fun. I've actually found that this actually leads to a lot more fun in non-combat situations. For one thing, due to the high probability of death, you really want to avoid a straight-up gunfight whenever possible, so there's more incentive to roleplay. For another thing, the lack of mechanics lets you do stuff that a rigid system wouldn't. I only really played once, as a Polish immigrant surgeon who accidentally got recruited as a deputy despite being a really lousy shot. He made up for it (well, tried to make up for it) with a peculiar knack for knife-throwing. Ahh, good times, good times. I should try to get a group together.

-Various single-player books. Because I have no friends. Eventually, though, you realize, "Wait, why am I doing single-player pen-and-paper roleplaying? I might as well be playing a video game..."

Note: My experience is limited because in my hometown the only RPGs anybody's ever heard of are D&D and Vampire: the Masquerade, and it's pretty well assumed that nerds play 3.5 D&D and goths play V:tM and no one else does anything of the sort. I've only played Boot Hill because my dad played it back in college. It wasn't till I got to college that I met anybody who plays anything else.

Mostly off-topic stuff that came to mind while typing this spoilered:

Games I'm pretty sure I'm interested in:

-I just love the name All Flesh Must Be Eaten. I've at least got to try it at some point.

-Since I'm already fairly familiar with the d20 system, I'll probably give Modern a try at some point.

-I've always wanted to play Vampire: the Masquerade. Yes, I'm aware they've updated, but Requiem still isn't as widely known, and I'd like to be able to say I've played the original. I guess I want to do it just because back home even the people who will accept D&D still think V:tM is evil.

Games I might be interested in:

-I'm still somewhat curious about GURPS, but after looking through some of the books, I'm not quite as enthusiastic about trying it as I originally was. To think that I once thought D&D's character creation system was overcomplicated... Still, I'm probably going to give it a try at some point or another, if only because David Morgan-Mar supports it.

-I'm open to Star Trek roleplaying if I happen to be in an area that has a group. I know there are multiple versions of licensed RPGs, but I don't know anything at all about their mechanics.

_Puppetmaster_
2008-02-25, 08:33 PM
I play D&D and GURPS.

Xuincherguixe
2008-02-25, 08:36 PM
Most of my experience is with Shadowrun. But it's been a few years since I've played. Still I did just get the 4th edition set of books. Some time I might run a campaign over the net.

I've got to say I'm really liking what I see so far. It's kind of lost the 80's feel (not so much punk any more), but it's not like it would be too hard to fit it back in. It's gotten to be even more ghost in the shell like (you can in fact hack people's eyes).

I've grown to appreciate most of the changes. That above example? Deckers tended to be a lot of a hassle. While they were off doing there thing, the rest of the players tended to get put on hold. Now though? Hack peoples limbs, turn on the sprinklers just before the cops open fire, distract the guard by turning off his spam filter.

One that fellow Ork fans will appreciate, a tablet containing a supposedly ancient language was given by a dragon. (They leave this stuff open ended). So now the Orks have their own possibly ancient language along with the elves. It's frequently incorporated into a genre of music "Goblin Rock". Which I can only assume is a sub sub genre of Death Metal. And with the emerging Ork Culture, it's only natural that there are people who pretend they're Orks. Ork Poser is a 5 point flaw (Elf Poser has existed for a few editions so far)

And of course, there's the fun that's magic. Being insane is something that's helpful. Or at the very least more entertaining.

I only know bits and pieces about WoD, but my impression is that Shadowrun is kind of like WoD where the angst is optional.

Zeal
2008-02-25, 09:02 PM
In order of play:

Rifts
D&D
Unisystem (specifically Witchcraft)

But I've also looked into:

D20 Modern
White Wolf's Storyteller system (Specifically Exalted and Vampire)
Shadowrun
and finally
GURPS

problem with the last four is that my players are mortally afraid of anything non-d20 which restricts me mightily.

Deepblue706
2008-02-25, 09:09 PM
GURPS when I want to have a serious game.

Hackmaster when I want to have fun.

D&D when nobody plays anything else.

BloodyAngel
2008-02-25, 09:21 PM
Ok... here goes. In no particular order...

D&D 3.5
D&D 2nd Edition
Rifts
Shadowrun
Vampire: the Masquerade
Mage the Ascension
Werewolf the.... you know what... let's just say all of the old edition White Wolf stuff!
Rolemaster
Champions
Exalted
Hackmaster
Star Wars d20
Star Wars d6
Warhammer (the RPG)
Warhammer Fantasy (The adorable little miniatures. Not sure if that counts as an RPG... though I make up fluff for my games.)
Serenity the RPG
BESM
Call of Cthulhu

horseboy
2008-02-25, 09:33 PM
In quasi order:
D&D from red box-3.5
Buck Rodgers
Marvel Super Heroes
DC
Rifts
TMNT and other strangeness
Shadowrun 2nd (Love this one)
Vampire 1 & 2
Werewolf 1 & 2
Cyberpunk
Twilight 2000 (Not allowed to play anymore :smallfrown: )
Mage 1
Changeling 1
Rolemaster (Still currentlyplaying)
Traveler 1,2 & 4
Call of Cthulthu (Not allowed to play anymore :smallfrown: )
Star Wars d6
Spacemaster
Earthdawn (Currently GMing)
Alternately
Hog's Head Warhammer Fantasy
Deadlands
Inquisitor
I have this feeling I've forgotten some.
Then there was that phase I went through in the mid 90's. I collected EVERYTHING. So had books for everything from Synnabar, to Whispering Vault, to Pelicar, to Fart the Dispersion.

brian c
2008-02-25, 09:40 PM
D&D 3.0, then moved on to 3.5

I've wanted to play Mutants & Masterminds, but have been unable to find a game (and I'm not really keen on play-by-post)

TheOOB
2008-02-25, 09:49 PM
D&D(BD&D, AD&D, 2e, 3e, 3.5)
d20 Modern
Star Wars: SAGA edition
True 20
Shadowrun 4e
7th Sea
New World of Darkness(Core, Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Promethean, Changeling)

At the moment, I'd say 7th Sea and nWoD are my favorite systems. Shadowrun is good, but UnWired really needs to come out before it's a full system(not to mention there needs to be some changes to the magic and char creation system). D&D is great of course, but it's fairly limited, anything other then heroic fantasy and the d20 system starts to burst at the seems, though true20 does pretty good at adapting it to other genres.

I've also breifly(very breifly) played Rifts, and wasn't a fan, that and the GM was horrible.

Still looking for a group to play Paranoia with.

Jayngfet
2008-02-25, 10:06 PM
just d&d, but if possible I'd like to try my hand at exalted, and d20 modern.

and if I get enough experience I might even make my own rpg, something simple, but unique.

DeathQuaker
2008-02-25, 10:07 PM
I am currently playing

D&D 3.5 (Eberron)
HERO System (AKA Champions), current edition (5th, I think)

Games I have played (or ran) to some notable extent (more than a couple sessions), roughly in the order I played them for the first time:

AD&D 2E
Wraith: the Oblivion 1st Ed
Werewolf: the Apocalypse 2nd Ed
Mage: the Ascension, 2nd and 3rd Ed
Vampire: the Masquerade, 3rd Ed
Mage: the Sorcerer's Crusade
AEON/Trinity
Legend of the Five Rings (not sure which version)
Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM), 2nd Ed
Star Wars d20
GURPS Fantasy
RIFTS
Exalted 1st Ed (playtested it, too)

Additional games I've played a 1-shot or very briefly:
In Nomine
West End Star Wars (d6 version)
DC Universe
Call of Cthulu (not sure which version)
Story Bones
Werewolf: the Wild West
Ars Magicka (2nd Ed, I think)
Paranoia

Systems Played Only in Play-by-Post:
d20 Modern

Books I Own But Have Not Had the Opportunity to Play
The Savage World of Solomon Kane
Slayers d20 (okay, so it's technically a D&D 3.5 variant, but it's different enough with some variant rules I'd like to try and haven't)

That's all I can remember at the moment. In summary, a buttload of variants of D&D and d20, and variants of White Wolf's Storyteller System, plus a whole bunch of other stuff.

de-trick
2008-02-25, 10:30 PM
games played
d&d
starship trooper
d20 modern
starwars

JMobius
2008-02-25, 10:38 PM
In order of exposure:

D&D 3.0
Shadowrun
Mage: The Awakening
Star Wars d20 revised
Mage: The Ascension
D&D 3.5
HERO

Of the lot, I'd have to say that Awakening wins for coolest setting, followed by Shadowrun. My favorite campaign is the HERO one, though. :)

Zincorium
2008-02-25, 10:47 PM
Currently playing:

Exalted 1st edition
D&D 3.5

Have played previously:

D20 star wars
Star wars SAGA edition.
D&D 1st ed
AD&D 2nd ed
Vampire the masquerade
Werewolf the apocalypse
Spirit of the century (really good, everyone should try a game)
D20 Modern
Gamma World
BESM tri-stat
BESM D20
Alternity
Mechwarrior
GURPS

...And uncountable homebrew systems and variations of the above.

clockwork warrior
2008-02-25, 10:56 PM
dungeons and dragons 3.5

star wars saga edition

new world of darkness/werewolf the forsaken (i own vampire the requiem but have yet to play/run it)

monte cooks arcana unearthed

monte cook presents iron heroes

call of cthulhu

Ted_Stryker
2008-02-25, 11:18 PM
I'm currently running a GURPS V:tM PbP game, and have a 3.5 F2F campaign on hiatus since New Year's because of my recent travel schedule. I have a ton of White Wolf Vampire source material (mostly from before the "final nights" meta-plotline) but I didn't particularly like the actual game system, so I went with the GURPS version when it came out about 10 years back. Other games I've played:

AD&D
Over The Edge
Everway
Paranoia
The Decipher Coda Star Trek, and Decipher Coda LotR

Way, way back I made a PC for 1st edition D&D, and also a Warhammer FRPG PC for a PbP game, but never got to play either one.

Raum
2008-02-25, 11:23 PM
Currently:
- Savage Worlds
- D&D 3.5
In the past year:
- WFRP
- True20
In the past decade:
- previous versions of D&D (AD&D 2ed, Skills & Powers, & 3.0)
- Shadowrun (2 and 3)
- Vampire the Masquerade
- Star Wars (d6)
- Champions
- Rolemaster
Lifetime:
- previous versions of D&D (AD&D & Basic D&D boxed set)
- Gamma World
- Classic Traveller

I think that's all I've played, though I may have forgotten one or two. I've also purchased many games I never played.

Squash Monster
2008-02-25, 11:53 PM
D&D 3.5
Paranoia
and a system I'm making, which needs a name (so far we just call it "Not D&D")

Tengu
2008-02-25, 11:54 PM
WFRP first edition
Earthdawn
Fading Suns (just read the books, never actually played...)
Exalted first edition
lots and lots of homebrew

And many games I am familiar with, but never played or read thoroughly.

Kurald Galain
2008-02-26, 04:07 AM
Let's see... in alphabetical order, and boldfacing the ones I have also GM'ed.

* Aberrant
* Alternity
* Amber DRP
* Babylon 5
* Black Eye (das schwarze Auge)
* Call of Ctulhu
* D&D, and also AD&D
* Demon: the Fallen
* GURPS
* James Bond
* Orpheus
* Over the Edge
* Paranoia
* Shadowrun
* Simplex (homebrew system)
* Stone age
* Squeam
* Toon
* TORG
* Vampire: the Masquerade
* Warhammer FRP
* Werewolf: the Apocalypse

Horseboy - how come you're not allowed to play Call of Ctulhu any more?

Sir_Leorik
2008-02-26, 10:32 AM
Right now I play D&D 3.5 and Star Wars Saga Edition. In the past I've played Basic D&D, AD&D (1E and 2E), WEG's Star Wars (1E, 1E with Rules Companion, 2E and Revised 2E), Vampire the Masquerade (3E), Wererolf thr Apocalypse, Shadowrun (don't remember which version), and Heroes Unlimited (2E). I own various other games, including Hackmaster, Rifts, Guardians of Order's Game of Thrones d20 game, and Mongoose's version of Paranoia, none of which I've ever actually run or played in.

Project_Mayhem
2008-02-26, 10:39 AM
My experience is basically limited to:

Dnd 3.5
ADnD 2 (at age 14, with my brother age 12, using rules gleaned from the Baldurs Gate 1 manual)
And my probable favorite, Call of Cthulhu.

Theres a lot of systems I wouldnt mind playing, but the rpg I most want to play that my group will most likely never permit is:

I Kill Puppies for Satan.

Because it truely is beyond awesome

Muyten
2008-02-26, 10:49 AM
Well somewhat in order:

D&D
Dragons & Demons
AD&D
Call of Cthulhu (I think 4th edition)
RuneQuest
Rolemaster
WFRP
Shadowrun
Gurps
Vampire
Earthdawn
3rd edition D&D
Ars Magica
Ars Magica 2nd edition
WFRP 2nd edition

And most likely I've left something out.

Charity
2008-02-26, 10:50 AM
Well I don't get as much play time as I used to but I have played

erm
D&D red box
AD&D
D&D 3.0
Rolemaster
Spacemaster
GURPS
Traveler
Traveler 2300
Cyberpunk
Star Wars d6
Harnmaster
RuneQuest
Shadowrun
MERP
Rifts
Call of Cthulthu
Paranoia
**HeroQuest** apparantly this qualifies, though I'm not sure
Golden heroes
2000AD Judge Dredd is its name
Serenity
Stormbringer
Marvel Super Heroes
Boot Hill
Vampire
Thieves' World
Top Secret
TMNT
Palladium
Shatterzone
Gamma World
James Bond
Champions
Toon
Chivalry & Sorcery
Tunnels & Trolls
Star Frontiers
Bunnies and Burrows
Warhammer (the RPG)
Elfquest
Powers and Perils
Diana: Warrior Princess
In approximate order of number of plays... I'm sure I've missed some.

If you asked about boardgames I could really have bored the pants off you all.
(yeah even more than I just did)
Given all these systems all do things very differently, and I have enjoyed playing them all, it amazes me how tied folk get to one system, one true way to roleplay... such nonsense.

Aotrs Commander
2008-02-26, 10:52 AM
Let's see...

Started on HeroQuest, graduated straight to Rolemaster...then I think Warhammer and D&D of some incarnation.

I've played a modest number of RPGs over the years:

HeroQuest
Advanced HeroQuest
Dungeoneer (Advanced Fighting Fantasy)
AD&D
D&D 3.x
Rolemaster/MERP/Spacemaster (mostly 2nd Ed)
Warhammer FRPG (1st edition)
Stargate SG-1 D20
Star Wars D20 (and revised edition)
Star Wars D6

I'm played but not run:
Shadowrun
Cyberpunk
Vampire (very, very briefly a long time ago)
BESM (tri-stat)
Sidewinder

I've also read but never played
SW Saga
The Terran Trade Authority RPG
GURPS Discworld
Mechwarrior
Heavy Gear
Hackmaster

(My current projection is that 4E will fall mainly into this category.)

Out of all of them, Rolemaster was our primary system of choice (we now use a mutant hybrid of 2nd and later editions) until 3.0 came along and then 3.x ousted it. We did play a modest amount of AD&D over the years, but I personally only ran it when I felt it was quicker (but not better) than Rolemaster. I consider 3.5 the most mechanically superior set of RPG rules I've encountered (and even it is not without faults!)

The trouble RPGs have when it comes to me is I'm a wargamer at heart. I don't really give two hoots about genera...it's mechanics that I'm interested in. If I find a genera that I really like (TTA RPG) and I'm not struck by the mechanics, I'll just use the fluff and use another system (I tend to use a blend of SW Revised and SG-1 D20 for sci-fi, for example.)

The only exceptions tend to be when I've got modules to run (WFRP, Dungeoneer) or are very simple and used as a 'taster' for newcomers or to for folks to see if they can stand our play style (HeroQuest with my homebrew mods, Dungeoneer).

Swordguy
2008-02-26, 11:11 AM
RPGs I've played (Bold denotes GMing duties)

CLASSIC BattleTech!/Mechwarrior 1, 2, and 3rd ed.
D&D 1, 2, 3.0, 3.5
Gamma World 1st, 2nd
Star Frontiers
Earthdawn
Renegade Legion (Centurion, Leviathan, Prefect, Legionarre)
Call of Cthulhu
V:TM 2nd ed.
Werewolf: tA
Mage: tA
Underground
Crimson Skies
Shadowrun 1st, 2nd, 3rd
Inquisitor
GURPS
Heroes Unlimited
Robotech
RIFTS
Palladium Fantasy
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles & other Strangeness
DC Heroes
Champions 5th ed.
Star Wars (WEG)
Star Wars (d20 - basic and revised)
Alternity
Paranoia
Cyberpunk
Rolemaster/MERP
Traveller
Runequest
FATAL
Stargate SG-1
Shadowforce Archer
L5R RPG 1st, 3rd editions
7th Sea
Dark Heresy

Talya
2008-02-26, 11:19 AM
Asking what i'm currently playing is sorta meaningless, so I'll list what I have played, with a general comment.

Marvel Superheroes (TSR) version - fun game.
Robotech/Rifts (Palladium system) - horrid ruleset, nice settings.
Star Wars (West End, d6 system) - very fun.
D20 3.5 D&D - my current favorite.
Star Wars Saga Edition - flawed, but fun.

I'm considering playing in a Deadlands game as well.

valadil
2008-02-26, 11:26 AM
I play D&D and GURPS regularly. When we get bored of those we go with White Wolf, Deadlands, or paranoia. I've also played MERP and Shadowrun, and miss them a great deal.

I like levels and classes better. There, I said it. I like leveling up. It's so much more dramatic than saving up and buying a single skill point. I like feeling like my character has advanced and grown in power. I know it's less realistic than buying one skill point at a time, but it's more fun for me. The next time I run a White Wolf game I'm not using normal experience points. Characters get levels damnit!. That probably means I'll give out points to spend as they please, like one attribute point, 3/2/1 skill points for their primary/secondary, and tertiary skills. And one discipline/mage sphere/whatever we're using point.

Artanis
2008-02-26, 11:51 AM
I've played:
2e DnD (one campaign, went so disastrously that I didn't play PnP RPGs for five years)
3.5e DnD
2nd Edition Exalted
BESM (using the Shadowrun setting)

Adventure Quest. (http://www.aquest.com)
Aww, for a second I thought you were talking about the online game Adventure Quest (www.battleon.com) :smallfrown:

Number 6
2008-02-26, 12:11 PM
In order of preference:

Runequest
Ars Magica
Fantasy Hero
GURPS
D&D

Those of you who only put down D&D should try some different game systems. D&D was a great new innovation in RPGs, but it is a very old system and, even with 3.0 and 3.5, they haven't changed it much. Why keep driving a Model T when they have come out with the Porsche (sp)?

Kurald Galain
2008-02-26, 12:25 PM
**HeroQuest** apparantly this qualifies, though I'm not sure

I'd say it's more of a board game. But if it does qualify, I can think of at least half a dozen others I've played, such as Descent and Talisman.

Zincorium
2008-02-26, 12:47 PM
FATAL

I really gotta know about this. I mean, I've read the rules. They're a way too detailed for my taste medieval fantasy simulation with a few things that always struck me as just plain *wrong*

Therefore I simply cannot see a game of this being run without an excess of awkward silence every time they get into the inevitable squick factor. But I'm willing to be proven wrong.

How did it actually play?

horseboy
2008-02-26, 01:37 PM
Horseboy - how come you're not allowed to play Call of Ctulhu any more?Because we kept winning. And you're not supposed to win in Call of Cthulthu. Same problem we had with T2K. Survival is supposed to be hard, but when you're playing with a group that can make C4 out of hand lotion and a certain french fry condiment, or a dept charge that could have taken out the Watcher outside Moria with stuff in the GM's kitchen; compound that with there was three people in the group that had actual military experience/training and, well, survival wasn't challenging. So no one is willing to ever run it for us ever again.

Swordguy
2008-02-26, 02:26 PM
I really gotta know about this. I mean, I've read the rules. They're a way too detailed for my taste medieval fantasy simulation with a few things that always struck me as just plain *wrong*

Therefore I simply cannot see a game of this being run without an excess of awkward silence every time they get into the inevitable squick factor. But I'm willing to be proven wrong.

How did it actually play?

Very similar to Rolemaster (not surprising). I and my group simply looked at it as Rolemaster with extra rules for all the bad things people can do to each other. I think those rules came up in the game once during six months of play - rolls were made, an NPC was raped (by a male PC - played by a girl, natch), and the game went on with serious mental consequences (why did I do that?!) for the PC in question.

I will point out though, that my group is exceptionally mature (youngest was 26), and a bunch of professional theatre types. We have no "squick factor". I've personally had to act out a rape scene onstage with an ex-girlfriend during the production of Zipless. You CAN'T get more awkward than that.

EDIT: Forgot about having to choreograph the gang-rape of my wife (playing Aldonza) during Man of la Mancha. That may be more awkward. :smallbiggrin:

All that said, though, I didn't like running the game. Too much dependence on charts meant too much downtime.

Case
2008-02-26, 06:58 PM
Me I like to keep it simple...

DnD 3.5

and

Deadlands (pity that nobody said this one thus far from what I skimmed through)

Going to play Hero system sometime soon so just putting that down.

Rigon
2008-02-26, 08:29 PM
DND 3.5... i haven't played anything "paper" beside dnd since ages.

Thamir
2008-02-27, 03:28 AM
Passages
Dnd
d20 Modern
SWRPG
InSpectres
My own homebrew stuff

endoperez
2008-02-27, 03:34 AM
I am currently playing

Nothing.

Games I have played to some notable extent (more than a couple sessions):

Nothing.

D&D 3.5
A homebrewn d6-using Robin Hood themed rpg found at the end of a huge "if you're bored, try this..." book.

Systems Of Which I Have Read Everything I Can Get My Hands On But Have Not Had the Opportunity to Play:

Ars Magica
RuneQuest, but the only thing I've managed to get my hands on is King of Dragon Pass the PC game. I know some of the fluff, but nothing of the rules.

Can you say "small place"? Yeah, I've been complaining about no-one around here knowing about rpgs for something like 10 years now. And what do you know, last year when I talked to some people few years younger I heard their uncle works in a fantasy store in a big city way south, and he GMs games for them whenever he visits, and has been doing that for years. :smallbiggrin:

Animefunkmaster
2008-02-27, 03:40 AM
In order of preference:

Besm 3rd (have played 2nd and d20).
d20/dnd 3.5 (have played 3.0 and 2nd edition adnd, and modern)
Shadowrun
StarWars

For the setting, I like Shadowrun, Eberron (dnd), and Dragonmech (d20 goodman games). For making the exact character you want to play, you can't beat Besm 3rd edition.

Rutee
2008-02-27, 03:43 AM
Primarily White Wolf stuff and homebrew. Deathly interested in a game of In Nomine though. Something about the concept screams awesome. 3rd Ed DnD is something I've played and run, but it isn't something I generally seek out at this point; Too bloated to play now that I know there's other stuff that suits me better. Played some BESM 3rd, and some M+M, and I like those, but nobody actually plays them long, so :P

For settings, I rather like Exalted's.. Eberron seems spiffy, I liked Mage: The Ascension (But not the rest of the WoD, in any specific sense. Technocracy ftw). Others have occurred to me as interesting and also-worth playing, though they're a bit too numerous to all go into.

Talya
2008-02-27, 11:58 AM
Deadlands (pity that nobody said this one thus far from what I skimmed through)

I mentioned it in passing. A friend of mine is planning a short deadlands-based campaign soon and I'm considering playing in it.

Armoury99
2008-02-27, 12:11 PM
Right now: Polaris and Seven Leagues

Historically... well, just about everything.

Hunter Noventa
2008-02-27, 12:47 PM
My friends and I mostly play D+D 3.5ish. Sometimes however, we foray into Rifts.

Now, I like the setting in Rifts. It's fun to read about and you can do prety much whatever. But the skill system makes me want to hurl. However, no other system tends to have situations like "Clone ninjas stole my cyborg body!" or "All right, once the thief uses the Exaclibur to convince the crew of that other Super Dimensional Fortress to lower their shields, fire the Reflex Cannon, then we'll go in and fight their evil gears with our gears!"

Redcap
2008-02-27, 02:08 PM
Man, there are some long lists on this thread. :smallamused:
As for myself, I'm currently playing Iron Kingdoms, Changeling the Lost, and SCION. I'm also GMing a second Iron Kingdoms game with a different group than the first. I'm gearing up to run an Unhallowed Metropolis game within the next couple of weeks.

As for the RPGs I've played or have run:

ADnD (not sure which edition, the guy running the game had more books than I could count)
Shadowrun 2nd & 3rd editions.
d20 3.0 & 3.5.
d20 Modern
Wheel of Time d20 (was later converted to FUZION rule)
oWoD Changeling
oWoD Werewolf
BESM 1st, 2nd, and 2nd Revised editions, plus the standalone Tenchi Muyo and Demon City Shinjuku games. These were all separate campaigns.
Mechwarrior Roleplaying Game (1st edition)
Cyberpunk 2020
Bubblegum Crisis (FUZION)
Shards of the Stone (FUZION)
Legend of the Five Rings (the latest edition; 3rd, I think?)
7th Sea
Star Wards d6
Star Wars d20
Star Trek (Decipher's version)
INQUISITOR (Roleplaying sessions interspaced with tabletop combat)
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying Game (again, the most recent version)
Warhammer Quest (using the extended RPG rules)
RIFTS
Palladium Fantasy
HEROES Unlimited
Nightbane/Nightspawn
Robotech
Mekton (in some form or another)
Heavy Gear 2nd Edition/Revised
Tribe 8 (Silhouette version)
Jade Claw
Riddle of Steel
TOON (Single shot game, but marathoned for 10 hours)

I've played in four homebrew games, one of which is apparently older than I am (Storm D). Most of these were short lived, but multi session.

I've also tried to get games set up for CyberGeneration, Engel, oWoD Vampire., but never had any players show interest. Oh well.

I also play Warhammer 40K, Battletech, and a little bit of Warmachine, but I'm gonna assume those don't really count for the discussion at hand.

horseboy
2008-02-27, 02:40 PM
Deathly interested in a game of In Nomine though. Something about the concept screams awesome.
When that came out a friend of mine was trying to get us to play that. Was carrying on about how we could be "Of the Word" instead of just angels and demons. Someone then shouted out "My word is Poon-Tang." Then I asked if my character could have tye-dyed angel wings and his word be "Groovy." (Garcia had just died) There was a cry of "Screw you guys!" and we wound up playing Kult instead. :smallfrown:

Oh, yeah, that's one I forgot
Kult

The_Dead_Legion
2008-02-27, 04:59 PM
I play A Game of Thrones Rpg whenever I do a fantasy setting. It is supremely realistic, yet highly entertaining, and simpler than Dnd, with much more character background and fluff importance. It is my personal favorite.

Deadlands is a cool western game. I usually use the Shattered Frontier setting though.

I do World of darkness for any modern or near-future settings with high role playing. My buddy Jim Gms it a lot.

I love Warhammer so I bought the rpg and hated it.

I originally got into role playing with Dnd 3.5, and grew out of love with it. I'm trying to get a 2nd edition AdnD campaign going currently.

My friends Sam and Mike do a ton of stuff with Serenity so whenever I'm with them we use that.

Lord Tataraus
2008-02-27, 05:08 PM
I've played recently:
D&D 3.5
Cyberpunk 2020
Mutants & Masterminds 2e
Vampire: The Requiem
Werewolf: The Forsaken

I will play soon:
WARS RPG

I played once, awhile ago:
Serenity RPG
Some other free game...

I would definitely suggest Cyberpunk 2020 and WARS, CP2020 has a great combat system and WARS has an amazing setting, but is otherwise D20 Modern with psionics.

AKA_Bait
2008-02-27, 05:14 PM
I am currently playing

2 diffrent 3.x games. One as DM, one as player.

Games I have played to some notable extent (more than a couple sessions):

Various Homebrew Systems

Mystic Realms LARP for a few months.
2ed for a little while.
GURPS for one session at a Con. DM Sucked, never looked back.

Systems Of Which I Have Read Everything I Can Get My Hands On But Have Not Had the Opportunity to Play:

None.

Cybren
2008-02-27, 05:45 PM
I've played d20 modern, D&D, and GURPS. I prefer GURPS, but don't currently have any gaming group.

I also own hackmaster and making hackmaster characters is a popular past-time for me and my friends. playing hackmaster would be grandiose indeed.

osyluth
2008-02-27, 06:17 PM
I have so far only played D&D, but after reading some of H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos, I looked into Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu, but I don't know how much the books would cost or where to buy them.
I am working on adapting Artemis Fowl for d20, but from what I have heard about GURPS, it seems that it would be a better system for that. However, I have no idea where to buy GURPS books either. Could somebody please tell me where (and who much $$ it would cost) I could buy these?