PDA

View Full Version : Combining Frostburn and Sandstorm

DementedFellow
2008-02-25, 07:04 PM
I recently acquired Frostburn. I adore my copy of Sandstorm and I was wondering if I could have my cake and eat it too. Is there any way I could reconcile a character having levels in Frost Mage (or even Rimefire Witch) and Walker in the Waste?

I just like the flavor of the three mentioned above and it seems like all of those would still be powerful even outside their harsh environments.

Any ideas?

tyckspoon
2008-02-25, 07:50 PM
I would tweak Walker In The Wastes to a frozen desert. It's built around the idea of dryness, not heat, and that's available in spades in certain very, very cold places. Water is around.. but it's all locked up in ground frozen so hard that you practically have to get an adamantine shovel to dig and you may have to settle for thawing out permafrosted soil to get a mouthful of mud.

Xuincherguixe
2008-02-25, 07:52 PM
Perhaps he could hang around in Antarctica a bunch?

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-02-25, 07:58 PM
Yeah, also putting in my vote for cold desert walker. Though it may complicate the sand golem thing, unless there's something like an ice golem with the same CR.

Zincorium
2008-02-25, 10:27 PM
Due some research on the patagonian deserts in south america. Freezing cold most of the year (it's got glaciers even) and incredibly dry and sandy, but also has stuff living there.

Nebo_
2008-02-26, 04:39 AM
Here. (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=693624)

White text and stuff.

Thamir
2008-02-26, 04:46 AM
Antarctica is the largest desert on the planet!

Talic
2008-02-26, 05:24 AM
Sandburn? Sounds like something really bad to have in your pants.

raygungothic
2008-02-26, 06:32 AM
Sounds like a cool concept to me, if you're in a world where cold deserts are anywhere near the areas of interest.

If you can think of a decent personality to go with it, your DM would be a downright meanie-head not to work with you on this :smallsmile:

Crazy Scot
2008-02-26, 07:39 AM
I would also point out Antarctica since it has the smallest average rainfall per year than any other continent. The problem is that what does fall tends to stick around for a long time because of the temperature. The problem I would have with your idea is that you have two different concepts here. One is focused on the use of cold weather/snow/ice and the other is focused on no water. Especially with Walker in the Waste, at 10th level you turn into a dry lich and any water is treated as holy water against you. You also have the innate ability to make it two degree bands warmer around you, making snowfall very difficult at best. I think that if you were to mix and match these prestige classes together, your best bet would be to talk to your DM and see if you can make a modified prestige class. I believe there is a section about this in the DMG, but I don't have the page reference to hand.

Person_Man
2008-02-26, 10:07 AM
Thematically, I think they fit well together. Yin/Yang, Hot/Cold, Emotion/Logic, etc. Be true neutral, and play up your attempts to reconcile opposing forces in order to tap into the true power of the universe yada yada yada.

Also, Walker of the Waste is insanely powerful once you hit ECL 13 and pick up the Dry Lich template for free. But keep in mind that roleplaying a Dry Lich has huge implications. Your Aura of Despair is a 60 ft radius, and can't be turned off. If any party members (or their gods) have moral problems with undead, you're going to have a lot of arguments. It can certainly be done with the right group, its just not a good idea for default settings and parties.

SamTheCleric
2008-02-26, 10:10 AM
"Hey, Timmy, hold up the lead sheet... I'm going to turn undead"
"Not again..."

Stycotl
2008-02-27, 12:55 AM
they were talking about 'tweaking' the walker anyway. i don't think that they intended to use it exactly as is. i would personally build an entirely new prc, just tailor it after the walker. they could even be cousins of sorts. a group of walkers (assuming you could get a cohesive group of them in the first place) travelled far north, far south, or just really, really high elevation, to continue their studies/machinations, because of the (insert powerful artifact/ley line/planar portal/ect here) in the area. evolved into their own organization, though maybe they keep loose ties with the scattered remnants of their now-close-to-eradicated brethren.

when i started reading this thread, i had visions of Ra's Al Ghul's monastery in the atacama desert of peru and northern chile. would be pretty sweet.

god thinking, demented fellow.

Prometheus
2008-02-27, 02:08 PM
Afghanistan comes to mind. As a result of the dramatic changes in altitude caused by the mountains, it is possible to have the extreme hot and the extreme cold not to far away from each other.

Cuddly
2008-02-27, 02:15 PM
Here. (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=693624)

White text and stuff.

I think it's hilarious how he says it's meant to be played in a real game, mentions some crap about a freaking monk's belt, then takes the planning and undeath domains, buys nightsticks, and uses DMM. What a tool.