PDA

View Full Version : Spell pool + Metamagic feats (Wizard)

Kazuel
2008-02-25, 07:49 PM
How exactly (if possible) would a Mage of the Arcane Order apply metamagic feats to a spell obtained from the spell pool. For Instance, could I leave a 4th level spell slot open and obtain a Maximized Ray of Enfeeblement assuming I had the appropriate feat? If not, then how? Thanks in advance.

Kazuel
2008-02-26, 05:45 AM
no one? I figured someone would have something to say.

Jack_Simth
2008-02-26, 06:54 AM
You waited all of 10 hours during the less busy time of day; don't be so worried there's no answer at this point. Especially because about the only source on your particular topic doesn't really specify.

It says you can call spells, period; no mention is made of metamagic, although they're in your head basically as if you prepared them. If we assume that they're placed into the pool in normal form, at which point they've already been prepared, then they'll come out the same way they went in - prepared in normal form. You'll need something that can metamagic a spell that's already prepared, then - the sudden metamagic feats, metamagic rods, the Incantatrix PrC ability, or similar.

That does, however, rest on an assumption that may or may not be true for your campaign world - it's got no real basis in the rules as written. Your DM is the one to ask.

Rad
2008-02-26, 07:20 AM
Personally I would say that you can't get a metamaciced spell from the spellpool. The spellpool is already too good so that is a balance issue.

On a more fluffy side, I would say that, if metamagic can be found in the spellpool, you get the spell exactly as it has been stored. That means that your feats are not relevant; the only thing that matters is if the other wizard who donated it did enhance it with metamagic or not. This means that answering "yes" is much, much more game-breaking that what you proposed on so many things...

So, no.

nargbop
2008-02-28, 10:24 AM
I'd say you have to be able to request a spell already adjusted by metamagic rules WITHOUT ANY of the freaky easy-metamagic class abilities.
That is to say, requesting a Maximized Fireball from the Spellpool would be like requesting a 6th-level spell, not a 3rd-level spell.
The Order PrC is a nice, nice, fluffy and crunchy PrC that lets DMs do fun deus ex machina stuff and lets wizards have even more flexibility.

valadil
2008-02-28, 10:31 AM
I'd say you have to be able to request a spell already adjusted by metamagic rules WITHOUT ANY of the freaky easy-metamagic class abilities.
That is to say, requesting a Maximized Fireball from the Spellpool would be like requesting a 6th-level spell, not a 3rd-level spell.
The Order PrC is a nice, nice, fluffy and crunchy PrC that lets DMs do fun deus ex machina stuff and lets wizards have even more flexibility.

That makes sense. I'd also restrict it to PHB metamagic. I think MotAO is supposed to be core spells only anyway. I would allow sudden metamagic to be applied after retrieving the spell though.