PDA

View Full Version : squishy caster?

Jayngfet
2008-02-26, 12:20 AM
quick question, we all know a wizards lousy hit die are usually attributed to studying rather than exercise, but why sorcerers, they just wake up and start casting fireballs, why do they get a d4 hit die, wouldn't a d6 or something be better?

SadisticFishing
2008-02-26, 12:22 AM
Haha, that makes an odd amount of sense. Wizards are more powerful than sorcerers, technically, so I guess it would even be a good way to even it out.

Decent houserule, on one condition: raise the bard's hit die to d8s, which wouldn't even overpower them!

Woopie.

Edit: Nice avatar.

Hario
2008-02-26, 01:42 AM
The Battle Sorcerer Addresses this issue fairly well. I tend to think the Battle sorcerer should outright replace the normal sorcerer since its more well balanced versus the wizard.

Solo
2008-02-26, 01:45 AM
The Battle Sorcerer Addresses this issue fairly well. I tend to think the Battle sorcerer should outright replace the normal sorcerer since its more well balanced versus the wizard.

Gah, so few spells known....

Tempest Fennac
2008-02-26, 02:48 AM
That is an interesting point about Sorcerers. I tend to just assume that the amount of combat training the class gets would affect HD (admittedly, that doesn't explain why Experts get the same HD and BAB as Rogues).

Funkyodor
2008-02-26, 03:34 AM
Yes, HP's in D&D represent more that just physical punishment the body can take. Even a Barbarian with 6 CON gets 1D12 hp's. It represents the combat awareness the PC possesses and her ability to shift blows off armor, move out of the way, or just plain out ignore the pain of a wound. It's a very amorphous and somewhat all encompassing figure that D&D just calls HP's.

Wizards don't get good HP's because they spend most of the time studying and figuring out how to tell physics to stuff it! Sorcerers aren't studying, but they do have to figure out new spells and concentrate on their innate ability more than the layperson. And this focus inward could represent a lack of combat awareness outward. Battle Sorcerer loses some of one to gain some of the other.

Experts have the same HP's as a Rogue because it's in the Experts description of:

The expert can be a jack-of-all-trades or a master of a limited area of expertise. Based on his selection of skills and feats, he can focus on diplomatic matters, stealth, combat, wilderness survival, thievery, or any of a number of critical tasks.

At first glance, the expert appears similar to the rogue; it shares that class's combat ability, wide range of class skills, and tendency toward simple weapons and light armor. Unlike a rogue, however, the expert has no special class features, but instead defines his specialty by his selection of bonus feats.

It's right in there that he has the same combat ability as the Rogue, hence same HP's and other traits.

Tempest Fennac
2008-02-26, 03:59 AM
Thanks for pointing that out (I'd forgotten about what the SDR said about them).