PDA

View Full Version : spell acquisition: is this possible?

MrScary
2008-02-26, 01:18 AM
is there some feat or class feature that allows a wizard/sorcerer/whatever to learn spells from the lists of other arcane casting lists?

example:
could a wu jen learn disjunction?

could a wizard learn decapitating scarf?

thank you

Kizara
2008-02-26, 03:37 AM
I don't think Extra Spell specifies that it must be on your normal casting list.

But I'm too lazy to check.

mostlyharmful
2008-02-26, 03:47 AM
You can also use the create a new spell rules to come up with a Wiz/Sor spell to do the same thing. If there's already a spell around it shouldn't be too hard to convince a reasonable DM that it isn't overpowered or impossible. I love that mechanic for coming up with spells your mage is the only one who can cast, naming them after himself and then selling them at magefairs and getting famous. :smallsmile:

Tempest Fennac
2008-02-26, 04:02 AM
I don't know if this is quite the same thing but, if an Arcane Caster has a diety, they can take a feat called Arcane Deciple which allows them to add spells from 1 of their dieties domains to their spell list. The problem is that Wis is needed to cast the spells (unless you can talk your DM into letting you use your main spellcasting stat). The feat can be taken repeatedly to get spells from a different domain.

TheMeanDM
2008-02-26, 08:03 AM
What he said a couple above:

http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Extra_Spell,CAr

Person_Man
2008-02-26, 10:13 AM
It depends on the specific class, and on what books your DM allows.

Wu Jen is generally boned. They get very little support from the splat books, and many feats and variant class abilities just don't apply to them.

Sorcerers and Wizards have a much easier time. In particular, Complete Champion and Mage give them a bunch of alternatives for tapping into non-standard spells.

Its also worth mentioning that virtually every splat book has spells in it. So if you're looking for a particular effect (healing, buffs, etc), rather then access to a particular spell, I'm sure that its out there somewhere on the official Wizard/Sorcerer list.