PDA

View Full Version : Fiendish Codex

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-26, 10:37 AM
Hi Guys.

I'm going to be running an evil-outsider heavy campaign in the near future and am considering what source books to draw my monsters from. I want my demons to be unique and flavorful, pose a significant threat to characters of level 16-20, and be usable in large scale battles.

My main question is how good is the Fiendish Codex? Would I be wise to adapt it to my uses, or would I be better off making it all up from scratch?

What other source books are good for an evil-outsider heavy campaign?

Chrismith
2008-02-26, 11:01 AM
Both of the Fiendish Codices are fairly good, in my opinion; they don't have a ton of high-CR monsters, but they do have plenty of feats, spells, and fluff that you can use with homebrew.

Another book you may want to take a look at is the Fiend Folio -- it's technically 3.0, but the only changes needed to bring the monsters up to 3.5 are DR updates, and there's a handy update booklet (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a) to help you with that. The Fiend Folio has plenty of high-CR creatures, though not all of them are demons and devils.

Scaboroth
2008-02-26, 12:07 PM
If you're willing to go outside of core, Green Ronin Publishing put out a little piece of fantastic called The Book of Fiends. Not only does it include tons of new demons, and devils, it will also completely change the way you think about daemons (the ones in the middle that don't fit on either side). If you're looking for a high-level challenge, how about a demon that is literally THE SIZE OF A MOUNTAIN?

The Rose Dragon
2008-02-26, 12:14 PM
Not only does it include tons of new demons, and devils, it will also completely change the way you think about daemons (the ones in the middle that don't fit on either side).

Those would be yugoloths. Seriously, what kind of education you guys receive?

Scaboroth
2008-02-26, 01:38 PM
Good guess, but no. In this instance, yugoloths and daemons are two separate things. "Daemon" is an old-school term that the authors of this book brought back to distinguish a brand-new hierarchy of NE fiends, completely independent of the 'loth power structure. These new daemons are based out of Gehenna, and their game revolves around the Seven Deadly Sins.

Maerok
2008-02-26, 02:39 PM
Book of Vile Deeds regrettably has some evil outsiders.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-02-26, 02:57 PM
Both FCs are very good books.

You can also use all the nice fluff from previous editions, but the FCs are good starting points.

Book of Vile Deeds regrettably has some evil outsiders.

I think you mean Book of Vile Shadowy Illumination.
:smallwink: