PDA

View Full Version : Tibia?

Gungnir
2008-02-26, 12:18 PM
Tibia (http://www.tibia.com/news/?subtopic=latestnews), if you haven't heard of it, is yet another one of thems free-but-most-of-the-good-stuff-is-only-for-paid-subscribers MMOs. It is also a great game if you happen to live in South America, because it has an extremely strong following there (despite having no dedicated world servers located there, somehow).

I first started playing Tibia a few months before the hostile takeover by the "brs" (Brazilian), and know that it can be pretty fun, as long as you've got people you know who play there. Every year or two, I go back and check it out, since they have major content updates every winter and summer. Only a couple times have I actually picked it up again, such as when they introduced a semi-viable method of attack by casters without several days worth of runes in their pack, and one other time when they introduced monster raids on towns (only to discover that they only occur every month or so, tops, last about 10 minutes, and are generally either too weak to bother with (rat swarms? really?) or entirely too strong for anyone but high-levels to even venture outside of safe spots (AAHHH I'M ON FIRE I'M ON FIRE HALP!-)

Well, last Christmas's update focused on a rebalancing of classes, apparently adding some much needed versatility to each one (except paladins, who can do EVERYTHING), and fixed the experience sharing so that tanks and healers can actually get levels from helping out. I was thinking that I'd try picking it up again, but I figured I'd see if anyone around here would like to join me (my RL friends either hate MMOs, like MMOs and are stuck on World of Crackcraft, or can't play it due to connection/computer issues).

So how about it? Would anyone like to try it out? It's pretty easy on the graphics and the bandwidth load, most computers can at least handle it on 640x480, though that makes inventory management annoying. There's a fair bit of grinding if you wish to play it seriously, but you can pretty much auto-pilot that part and go do other things.

Narmoth
2008-02-26, 12:37 PM
http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/oxford/Oxford_Sports/0199210896.tibia.1.jpg

os Tibia, the latin name for tibial bone.
Why would they name a game after that?

Gungnir
2008-02-26, 12:42 PM
os Tibia, the latin name for tibial bone.
Why would they name a game after that?

No idea. This game is old as dirt, it's been running since the mid-90's. But like I said, it gets updated twice a year (usually content in the summer, and mechanics in the winter), so it's not so bad.

Edit: Oh, it would probably be best if I showed you where it was (http://www.tibia.com/), wouldn't it?

Edit Edit: Awesome. Was looking around for other updates I missed, and they've finally added a quest log. Yeah, that was overdue. Tibia tends to have lots of quests that are actually just NPC suggestions that might be quests. And others that are pretty much just a couple of rewards for getting through a monster den.

Cubey
2008-02-26, 01:05 PM
I don't want to be a party pooper, but I played Tibia and I found it pretty (read: really) bad. Awful community, with lots of PKers, scammers and kill-stealers, bad graphics, not much to do, bad game balance, it takes ages of killing rats to leave the newbie island, and so on, and so on.

Gungnir
2008-02-26, 01:24 PM
I don't want to be a party pooper, but I played Tibia and I found it pretty (read: really) bad. Awful community, with lots of PKers, scammers and kill-stealers, bad graphics, not much to do, bad game balance, it takes ages of killing rats to leave the newbie island, and so on, and so on.

Yeah. I'm not entirely sure why I find it fun still. Or might, I haven't started up the client yet. It was honestly really cool back when only like 1000 people knew about its existence. Maybe I still like it because its nice and simple. I dunno.

But honestly, yeah, prejudice has really kinda ruined a lot of the community.

It's actually kind of a cool story how that got started. When people from S.A. started picking it up, they were ignored/picked on for not speaking English. Then they just started spreading like zombies, slowly filling up public chats with chatter, until some high-levels started enforcing the "English only in public chats" rule themselves, hunting down particularly bad spammers and using them as an example, killing them so many times that their character got sent back to the rookie island because their levels got so low. This seemed to help for a little while, but then there was an uprising on some servers; they had actually gone quiet because they were out macro-training and leveling (very easy back then).

Eventually they literally took over a couple servers, and for a while half the servers would kill you for speaking English, and vice versa. Then the community just settled down over time, and just turned into a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

But anyways, if we (hopefully we) are lucky, we can just keep contained in a little friendly/same community bubble, without too much negative influence. I honestly just treat most of the community as a giant NPC with loot from everywhere, except for a few rare cases of cool people.

Destro_Yersul
2008-02-26, 01:24 PM
Well, I wasn't going to say it, but someone else did. The thing I never liked about Tibia was that you could be attacked by anyone, in almost anywhere, at any time. I spent half the time I played that game running from PKers and the other half grinding relentlessly against monster after monster.

Plus getting gold was rather difficult, and all the good stuff cost silly amounts of it.